September 30, 2014 | 1811 users online

Sunscreen - L'Oreal - Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen Liquid Silk Sunshield For Face SPF 50 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Pinky911

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this based on other very positive reviews and I'm glad I did. I must confess, I'm almost 34 and I've never worn sunscreen on a daily basis. I know, I know...probably tons of wrinkles I could have prevented, but I was always SO overwhelmed by bad skin and break outs and terrified to try a sunscreen for fear it would make me break out. That and I have fairly olive skin and I don't burn easily. Still...no excuse.
    Well, this stuff works. It applies thinly and evenly (under make up, but over or in-place-of moisturizer) and doesn't streak my foundation or cause me any kind of break out. Miracle of Miracles!! So, you may be asking (or not), why is this lady suddenly converting to daily sunscreen usage? Welp. I am using some pretty severe products. BHA, AHA, and soon I may try a retinol product. All of these products make your skin soooo sensitive to the sun, so when I saw glowing reviews for a 50 SPF suncreen I had to try it. I'm trying to get my skin in better shape for a week long camping trip with friends this July. I hate the idea of always sneaking off to apply concealer or foundation in the morning to cover a nasty break out during these type of vacations. Meanwhile, some of the other women (and all the men) seem to wake up with nauturally glowing skin (acne free, scar free, dang it...how not to hate you, haha). So, I decided to take some serious action. In addition to using specified skin care products (see my other reviews...Paula's Choice BHA and AHA), I am committed to leaving my face alone (no touching and no picking) and wearing less and less make up every day...(foundation/concealer...I love my mascara and eye make up) and religously applying sunscreen EVERY DAY.

05/20/13: Update: stopped using this as I started breaking out. :( However, currently using a powder suncreen (Jane Iredale) and works much better on my skin>..

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the second high PPD sunscreen I've tried so far.

PROS: Fragrance free, light feeling, good under makeup, and I haven't had any breakouts from it I think (my skin goes though periods of super clear like on it's own, I don't think this has contributed). Like any sunscreen or silicone product, you can feel it, but it doesn't feel suffocating or heavy. The packaging is really good too. It has an eyedropper like opening and it doesn't disperse tons at once. You can tip it upside down and a single drop will come out at a time (quickly, but not that fast). Reasonably priced too.

CONS: Definitely a liquid. It is super runny. It was odd to get used to and I was using too much when I started. This isn't a con for me, but when I apply this, I can only do it in sections. If I attempt to dot my face and blend them all together, it just doesn't work as well, like most of it has already evaporated and now there's nothing left to spread it around with (see below).

OTHER: The reason this feels so light is because a large part of it evaporates and "condenses" what remains. The first 3 ingredients are designed to disappear. Water naturally evaporates, cyclopentasiloxane is a carrier silicone that evaporates, and alcohol denat rapidly evaporates (due to why it's used to clean electronics - it never leaves residue. It also helps the water evaporate faster). The alcohol also helps the product penetrate a little deeper and shrinks the thickness of everything when it evaporates. The problem however is that alcohol denat is drying by nature. For some this may be irritating and I don't really like having it present. Alcohol denat can also attach itself to other alcohols and beneficial ingredients and evaporate those as well. And make sure you really really shake this SS before use. I shake mine with all my energy for like 6 seconds before I use it. If you don't it is greasy and doesn't absorb so well.

OVERALL: I can see why this is highly rated. This is a light formula that I can picture working well on most skin. The evaporation combined with the silica help to reduce any greasy/heavy feeling, though it might be too much for some dry skin. I would purchase it again, but of course I will always look for new products regardless (especially alternatives that act similar, just have no alcohol denat).

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 5:20:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

As someone who has oily dark skin that develops breakouts and dark spots easily and who lives in a hot humid polluted city, it's been a huge challenge to find a non-greasy sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't break me out.

I started scouring MUA reviews and trying out all the top rated sunscreens one by one. It's no surprise that all the top rated sunscreens specialise in being non-oily. I first took a stab at the Japanese sunscreens, trying out both the Biore mousse and milk. You can read my reviews of both these products. In a nutshell, while they gave me a great non-oily finish, they also tended to block my pores because they contain silicones. They are however fairly cheap and can be used on areas like the forehead and nose where I don't break out as much.

After all these disappointments, I decided to splurge on Chanel. I bought a sample of UV Essentiel and found it to be amazing enough for me to splurge on a full size bottle. Again, you can read my separate review.

However, using Chanel on a forever basis is a bit beyond my budget. While I would continue using it if I had no other option, I decided to try this highly rated sunscreen a well. You do not get it where I live yet, but I managed to get it online. Firstly, it needs to be shaken THOROUGHLY. The first time I used it, I didn't shake it much and the effects were quite different from the time I shook it properly.

My initial impressions:

- Spreads easily
    - Great truly silky finish and touch
    - Really non-oily coverage. I went to a make-up counter and they actually refused to believe I have oily skin
    - A nice glow without any white cast whatsoever (even on my NC 42 skin)
    - A high SPF
    - A lot of product in the bottle which should really last
    - Sunscreen smell - but not too bad

The not so good news: I have very sensitive skin especially around my mouth and chin and I do feel it has become somewhat irritated since I started using it (3 days). Sigh! But I will continue using it for a while to be certain that it's the fault of the sunscreen and not the hyper stress I am going though these days.

For this reason, I have not rated this product as highly as I could have but look for another update in a couple of weeks. I am dying for this to work on me.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by briloveschocolatebunnies

I confess that I have often avoiding sunscreen on just regular days (when not going to the beach or being outside for a long time), because I hate the pastiness it can have in photos (if a physical sunscreen) or the way it breaks me out or burns (if chemical).

Still, I was looking for a daily sunscreen. I thought my goal would be to find a sunscreen that was completely weightless and made no change to my skin. I was wrong- because now that I've found this HG sunscreen- it may be weightless, but it does a lot for my skin as well which I wouldn't expect from a sunscreen. One reviewer mentioned it goes on the skin a lot like a makeup primer would. Remarkably, I use this sunscreen as a makeup primer and it really makes my skin look better than it is. It goes on like its name suggests and the way make-up looks over it is just remarkable. I keep worrying that maybe it had a silicone type ingredient in it- but whatever ingredient it has that makes it like a makeup primer- it has not broken me out after 2 weeks. And that's saying a lot, for me.

When I first tried it- to warn you- it is pretty runny. Almost like water. So it seems odd at first, but the packaging is excellent and have not had any issues. The price is not too bad and the SPF of 50 is excellent. I will definitely buy this again, and I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2012 3:46:00 PM More reviews by Scott77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Best chemical sunscreen I have ever used!

Pros: Light smoothing texture that blends in perfectly.
    Does not irritate my eye area which is often a problem for me with chemical sunscreens.
    No greasy look yet not drying.
    Great price and almost the same formula as pricier L'Oreal owned brands like Kiehls and Lancome.
    No white cast.

Cons: none so far.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by RiskQn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is absolutely, hands down, HG for me. I'm almost to the bottom of my first bottle, and bought two more for back-up when they were on rollback at Walmart. I used to use Eucerin's spf30 sensitive skin facial moisturizer, but this beats it hands down!
    Pros:
    - price (7-10 dollars a bottle)
    - spf 50
    - light, silky feel
    - absorbs quickly
    - very moisturizing, so I can skip a separate moisturizer most days until the harsh winter
    - a little goes a long way (one bottle lasts a looong time)
    - packaging is mess free and sanitary
    - contains some silica, making it double as a light primer
    - vitamin E & white grapeseed give it some anti-aging properties

Cons:
    NONE!!!!!!!

I would recommend this to any woman who wants to have a good, high spf in her skincare routine!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by callarox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to use Khiels Super Fluid UV Defense but found this and will never change back. I swear its practically the same thing, for a fraction of the cost. Sure, it is a but runny coming out, but once its rubbed in, it isn't oily at all on my skin. I'm super sensitive to scents and don't find this one to be bad at all. I also like that there's a little ball in the bottle to help mix up the product---which, if you forget to do, might be why some users find this to be oily: it isn't mixed!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by shannonannagins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Goes on oily but dries to a nice almost powdery finish. Cosmetically elegant, but made my face burn (not sunburn, just get red and hot before I even got outside.) I have quite sensitive skin, and I think it's the alcohol that's upsetting my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2012 3:40:00 AM More reviews by mrtaxitaxi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I really like this for my face and the price is good too. This sunscreen leaves no white cast (so noticeable on my brown skin, ugh) and is smooth to apply on. It takes a little while to sink in, but it leaves my skin soft. I've been using it for a month and a half without breaking out or having any other bad reaction.
    As for repurchasing, I've already bought my second bottle.

I usually wear this and every other sunscreen without moisturizer because I am a greasy mess by the end of the day if I've applied moisturizer + sunscreen.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this product since there were such great reviews. I have pretty oily skin and have been on an endless search for a sunscreen that would not make me extra oily, not break me out and wear well under makeup. This product feels really nice going on to the skin, very smooth like a primer which should have told me something as I cannot wear most primers since high levels of silicone do not agree with my skin. Unfortunately this product did not control my oil at all, it practically pooled oil and makeup around my nose and in my t-zone. It also emphasized pores I didn't even know I had on my nose, and to top it off after 2 weeks of using this I believe it is clogging my pores :( If your skin is like mine and you cant use most silicone based primers because they don't control oil and they clog your pores, pass on this product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No