I'm pretty sure many of the reviewers here just don't know what they're doing. I have used every mascara, drugstore to department store and every store in between, and this is my favorite mascara. If you know what you're doing, you'll get amazing length and volume that lasts all day. 1 coat is long and natural, 2 or 3 looks like you're wearing falsies. Now, if you have thin, stubby eyelashes, I don't know. This is mascara, not a miracle. I have naturally long eyelashes of average thickness and this mascara makes my lashes look incredible. I get asked constantly if I had extensions added when I wear this mascara. Highly rated and I will definitely buy again.
I wouldn't call this a volumizing product. That's why I didn't give it such a good rating. I have Benefit's They're Real mascara and I would say its a good dupe for it without the flaking. It even has a the same shape brush. It lengthens and separates my lashes but does not give me the volume I was hoping the name "3D" suggests, but it does keep a good curl.
I wonder if Revlon changed the formula on this product since some of these reviews were written, because my experience with this product seems to be so different than some of the other reviewers. I have always been a lash junkie, starting in high school with experimenting with every mascara I could, then switching to falsies and extensions in my 20's, and now going back to mascara after the damage of the extensions. Because my lashes were subjected to such torture for so many years, they are only recently really starting to grow back. They have a little bit of length, no volume, no color (I'm blonde), and bare spots. They are definitely a challenge to make beautiful, and I'm daily tempted to go back to extensions. I've tried about 5 different mascaras this month alone, and so far, this one comes out on top. (I liked Maybelline the Rocket Express Volume better for volume, but the clean-up was really bad. I have a review on it, if you're interested.) I purchased this in blackest black, non-waterproof. I first wore it on very clean lashes on Christmas day and it was amazing. My lashes were given awesome definition, length, and with 2-3 coats, really good volume. They "almost" looked fake, which is the look I want & love. The fomula is pretty wet, which I like, and I think plenty black enough. The brush is the newer style plastic bristle, but not the annoying kind where the barrel of the brush is too big and clumsy to really accomplish anything with it. It does a good job of grabbing each lash and distributing a good amount of product. I was really, really impressed. My complaints, however, again include difficulty in removing. My washcloth/warm water/bit o' soap routine which will often take the majority of my mascara off, did nothing for me with this product. A little stunned, I used a cotton round soaked in my Sonia Kashuk make-up remover to sweep over my lashes to remove, thinking that should more than do it. I was really shocked that even that didn't do it! My lashes very clearly still had product in them. Not wanting to lose any lashes (I don't have extras to spare), I gave them one more sweep with the make-up remover and then let it be. The second application of this product didn't yield quite as inpressive results as the first use, and I think that's due to the fact my lashes still had some of the previous application still stuck in them. My other complaint would be that I prefer cruelty-free products, and I'm pretty sure Revlon doesn't qualify. But in a pinch, when I don't have the time or money to order online, this mascara will do nicely.
I would buy this again, this mascara was great for my stubby eyelashes.
This is by far the best mascara I've ever tried and I've used multiple clinique, lancome, maybelline and l'oreal. Here in Australia its usually $23.95 but at the moment its $16.76 at target or 'tarjey' as Gok Wan says. My lashes are ridiculously short and moderately thick and this mascara is really good at lengthening and separating as well as holding a curl. I was also very impressed by how water resistant it is. I've been using this mascara almost every day for about 6 months and its only starting to get dry and flakey but I think I'll just add some paw paw ointment to it and continue use.
UPDATE (3/4/14) : This mascara lasted about 3 months before it became very flakey, so overall considering the price and amount you get, it isn't worth the money as you don't get to use much of the product. I will wash and keep the good wand's though.
Revlon photoready 3D Volume 001 blackest black &003 blackened brown
I think this is a well thought out formula and brush, so warning my review might seem quite detailed!
I recommended this mascara for people who want volume that is very quick to build without clumping, who want the option to have brown mascara (sometimes hard to find), and who want to capture the inner and outer corners of the lashes.
1. Blackest black is as black as any other mascara claiming to be the darkest. Blackened brown is a dark brown that is neither warm nor cool and would look more natural if it was a bit warmer and lighter in colour, but it's still a really good, less dramatic mascara for day time against my ghostly pale skin.
2. The brush will please a lot of people I'm sure, as it is not too thin (so that people with long lashes won't spend forever building volume) and not too fat (so that heavy lids won't easily get mascara all over them.
3. No variations of spike distribution around the length of the brush means you don't have to use it in a specific way for good results.
4. The brush tapers off to a slightly smaller, rounded end with slightly longer spikes splayed out from it, which really helps to access outer and inner corner lashes. This also makes coating bottom lashes easy.
5. The formula is not wet/ watery yet not dry/ tough to spread, either! Perfect balance allows layers of mascara to grip to each other well so great volume is achieved with only 2 layers (dried in between layers). Simple zig zag motion prevents any blobbing on the ends of the lashes, so as long as you stick to the 2 voluminous layers, no comb is needed.
6. If you close your eyes and pull the wand up through the ends of the lashes you can get some mega length!
7. This mascara is reasonably priced considering you get a few grams more than most drugstore mascaras.
8. No flakes, no smudges!
1. No waterproof version available in a UK store (dec/2013).
2. Brush end always needs a dab on the back of a hand or tissue as it has a lot of excess on it, but this is common with most mascaras.
3. More than 2 thick layers can begin to look spidery, even with a comb, which is not flattering on my straight lashes.
4. Sometimes but not always, lumps of product will sit in the brush so a check for these and a scrape on the rim of the tube is recommended to prevent lashes sticking together.
Overall, this mascara does everything it promises too. I love it and hope everyone buys it so It will never be discontinued haha :). I will update if I find the tube dries out quickly.
Nice Mascara, don't get all those negative comments over here...
I got this from my roommate. She bought it, used it once and hated it. So she asked me if I wanted to try it, and I was like "Woo! Free mascara!" I was pleasantly surprised and have no idea why she was so put off by it. I really like brush for this. It's not wire but I think they're rubber bristles. It does separate lashes and creates a lot of volume. It also makes my lashes look very long when I use it. Which is difficult, because I have kind of short lashes.
The reason I'm only rating it 3/5, though, is because it does get very flaky by the end of the day. And also it can be a bit gloopy and makes your lashes stick together. But the brush is really awesome about combing it out of your lashes. You just have to spend a little time getting your lashes perfect and then it's great.
This mascara is pretty good but nothing to brag about. Colour was good and black, brush was ok but it kept posing my eyes. I liked the reault but I wouldn't say there was much volume, just seperation and definition. I use a lash curler and it didn't hold the curl for more than 4 minutes. But all of this said I would buy it over and maybelline or loreal mascara. It didn't flake , it didn't smudge and came off easy with my makeup remover! Over all, pretty good
One word--RELIABLE. I actually didn't wanna like it because the tube is so boring but after a while I noticed I was reaching for it more and more. I think every mascara should have brushes like this and They're Real's. It doesn't excel at any one thing. Aside from that, it succeeds all-around, making it my go-to for a basic mascara. The formula is wet- and good-enough to apply in seconds if you're in a rush. It looks better with 2 coats as opposed to 1 (blacker, thicker, longer), especially after curling lashes. I suggest everyone give this a try, return it if you don't like it.