April 18, 2014 | 1209 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo 24hr Cream Gel Shadow in Tough as Taupe

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of those staples that I can see being in everyone's arsenal. I love taupe and all things taupe-esque so when I finally received this (from a lovely fellow MUA'er) I was too excited. It's a good, deep taupe that's matte. Goes on more of a cream than a gel but with a light texture. I use a synthetic brush to apply rather than use my fingers (this works too, though, don't get me wrong). But a synthetic shadow brush will pack on the color more evenly than my ring finger would and blend out seamlessly. I blend out and over the lid and even underneath the lower lash line and it gives intense definition (intense, but natural!). On top, I can put another taupe shadow, a champagne colored shadow, a brown - all matte or shimmer or satin, whatever I've got and it just seems to look great. And this shadow can stand alone, too, with a matte highlight to round it out. It really is almost like a tattoo, only this is one you CAN removed. But only when you're ready, as this stuff doesn't budge all day.

For those like myself who really dive into Halloween makeup and such, this would make a great play-thing for a Halloween kit for contouring, as it isn't flesh-toned but isn't unnatural in color, either. (Think vampire cheekbones or skeleton shadows!) Overall, love this. Even the pot-format is fine with me, too.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Tam94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this product! I have super oily eyelids and have tried nearly all the drugstore/high-street primers available and none seem to have helped, i research thoroughly into this product before i brought it so that i was near enough sure that it wont be a waste of money if it did exactly what i wanted it to. It defo does not crease my eyeshadow and keep my eye makeup very long lasting. One critique was that the only matte shade which i could find was 'permanent taupe' (in america this shade is called 'tough as taupe), personally i found it wasn't very neutral for everyday use, also it is not at all true to colour, the product when first opened seemed like a nice champagne pink colour but after i swatched it is turned into a dark purply-brown colour, maybe keep that in mind when purchasing this shade :D

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 6:14:00 AM More reviews by bimini156

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I agree with realitydust below on this one. I like the Maybelline Color Tattoos okay. This color in particular I find hard to blend. I don't like the look of it that much on its own and even with another shadow over it it still looks splotchy. I have a few of the Estée Lauder cream shadows and also the Make Up For Ever Aqua cream shadows. The Estée Lauder I think are the creamiest. These are, however, for the price, nice enough. I make sure I wear some UD Primer Potion underneath to assist the blendability. These are a nice option if you would like a color that you wouldn't use that often and so don't want to spend the money on a more expensive version. But these really do not compare, IMO to a more high end cream shadow.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2013 2:05:00 AM More reviews by uhlizubeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this color. Lately I've been using it to line my upper lash line as since its subtle and waterproof. For days that I feel like wearing something on my lids, I smudge it on the outer thirds on my eyelids.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

Ok, so the color by itself can either look very flattering on some people but not so much on others. I love grays and taupes but due to dark circles I can't wear too much of them without looking sickly or as if I haven't slept enough.
What I ended up doing is I MIXING this color with MAC's paint pot in Painterly and the end result is an absolutely beautiful muted taupe (almost dark nude). ALSO I realized that this mix becomes a dupe for Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadow in Cement which I was dying to buy but felt bad spending $25 for a tiny pot. SO if you enjoy color Cement and already have the Maybelline Tough as Taupe and MAC's Painterly, just mix them together!

Obviously, the end color result will vary depending on how much product you mix together, but just play around with it. Also, I find Bobbi Brown's cream eyeshadows a bit on a thinner side where if you mix Maybelline and MAC you'll a thicker, more opaque texture. I actually prefer that more.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by llydiall

im using this with an angled brush to fill in my brows. its too tacky to blend on my eyes and it creases. stays on my brows with slight fading only. try this if you have dark hair, on my brows this becomes less gray and more natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by marshiemallow14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A matte grey-brown colour. Applies fairly well using fingers, though less creamy than my other Colour Tattoos. Works well as a base. Didn't find it particularly drying, and it was buildable.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by akharri785

As others have mentioned, these are pretty much dead on dupes for MAC's Paint Pots. I really love the color of this, as it's a nice and soft, matte grey. I like the simple glass pot packaging as well. And the price is not steep so it's not too much of a loss if you want to give them a try and they don't work out. However, as others have mentioned, because it is matte, it's more of a drier texture than others and does not blend easily. Also, it applies much better with a finger than any of my brushes, and I don't generally like to use my fingers for application. Additionally, if you have oily eyelids like me, these will probably end up in your crease after two hours or so. I love the consistency and finish of cream shadows but I should just give up trying to make them work. Unfortunately, no matter what brand (drugstore or department) of cream shadow I use, they never stay put. I was more optimistic with this one since it promised prolonged wear, but nope, it's staying power is the same as the rest. I used my faithful Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer with these and they still did't work for me. So if you're a gal with oily lids, trying to find a lasting cream shadow, the search continues.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Kalady

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The Basics:
PROS: inexpensive, complex color, solid packaging, lots of product, travel-friendly, long-lasting, PERFECT BROW COLOR FOR COOL-TONED BRUNETTES
CONS: extremely quick drying time, difficult to control the opacity of the color, can appear chalky on the eyelids
Tough as Taupe is a beautiful grayish-brown with a bit of purple, and on the lids it appears a cool, purple-toned gray. I bought this product thinking that I would use it as an all-over lid color for some quick definition... Unfortunately, for a very fair, mascara-lip-balm-and-concealer kind of girl, this color was a little too statement/makeup-y for my everyday liking, as beautiful as it is. I had no idea what to do with it. Interestingly enough, I had recently gotten more into filling in my brows as a way to keep my makeup natural but polished, but I could not find a brow color to suit me. I'm very fair with dark hair, and my eyebrows near black-brown. All the brow colors I had - the Wet 'n' Wild kit, the Coastal Scents set, the ELF compact, the Japonesque Brow Kit - were far too brown and far too warm, making my brows look suspiciously unnatural and reddish. I decided to try this on my brows and voila - a match made in heaven. This is totally undetectable (even on my fair skin and gaps in my brows), it dries matte, and it doesn't rub or smear. I love it. Make sure to remove the majority from the brush before doing the front of the brow (so it doesn't look too artificial), and blend with a spoolie as you go (as it dries quickly). Besides brows, this color is great on the lids, crease, or as liner so long as you work quickly and blend before it sets- because man, when it sets, it stays forever. Overall, very wonderful, versatile product. 4/5

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by annhf24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This color is very matte and difficult to blend, but it works perfectly when used with a little of the shimmery white Color tattoo to smooth it out. I have oily eyelids, and I do find it creases if I don't use a primer first. I use a the Too Faced eye primer in the blue tube, let it set, then use the Taupe in my crease / as a contour, and use the shimmery white to blend it and in the inner corners. After letting that set, I put a little eyeshadow powder on top, and it seriously lasts all day and all night long.