L'Oreal Magic Lumi

3.3

Aqua/Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Isododecane, Alcohol Denat., Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Diphenyl Dimethicone, Cellulose Gum Hydroxystearic Acid, Acetylated Glycol Stearate, Acrylates Copolymer, Methylparaben, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Butylparaben, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Chamomilla Recutita Extract/Matricaria Flower Extract [+/- May Contain: CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, Mica, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499/Iron Oxides].

on 1/30/2014 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I love this concealer - it surprises me. Where other highlighting concealers seem to lighten too much, or look cakey, the Magic Lumi pen totally erases dark circles. I use shade '2 - medium' and it gives an instantly-awake appearance to a morning face. I'm actually able to blend it quite far down my cheeks in that Kim Kardashian triangle, which is something that's looked wrong on me using other products. I reach for this over my By Terry Touch pen.

I have Touche Magique by L'Oreal too, and I've used it for a few years. I tend to use it as a base for my eye make-up more than anything - perhaps a bit to brighten, but not often. The latter is thicker in consistency, for me. If I had a slightly darker shade I might be in a position to compare it better.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I decided to give this product a shot during one of my CVS hauls over the summer. Because I prefer a more full coverage concealer, (Benefit Erase Paste, Hard Candy Glamoflage, etc.) I use this as more of a highlight when I'm finished with my makeup, right before I apply finishing powder. It's almost my way of going back over my concealer again (remove excess eyeshadow, etc) and also highlighting. I also use a highlighter in addition to this, though. It does not produce a shimmer of any short. Perhaps a slight sheen, if that. Even though everything I just described is not completely necessary, part of me likes this little concealer pen. I use it all the time for little touch ups throughout the day.

The packaging is ok, considering the price. It's a brush applicator, where the product twists up through the brush. I personally dab it on with my fingertips and sometimes my Beauty Blender. I only use a small amount because I usually have concealer on already. I have not really worn this alone, but I can tell you the coverage is sheer, not full. So it really depends on what you intend to use this for and what sort of coverage you prefer. Definitely a handy little tool to have around!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this maily as a concealer for about two years. I don't hate it but it's not my HG either.

Me: dry skin, especially undereye. I need light coverage for purpley-skin right under inner eye area.

Pros: not drying, doens't settle in fine lines very much

Cons: I really don't need much coverage - this just isn't enough for even me. The very liquidy formula sometimes kind of "washes off" my foundation if used on top (for highliter or concealer). Sometimes it looks OK by the end of the day and soemtimes doesn't. I can't figure out why the inconsistency.

I like the packaging except for the 5,000 twists it takes to get product to start flowing. The brush doesn't get it as smooth as I like it but I don't expect ANY brush for any <$10 proudct to do the job of a quality brush. I like that the included brush is very slim. I can get it under my very long bottom lashes. I can precision apply it just where I want it. Then smooth it out with my I.T. concealer brush.

on 12/28/2013 9:36:00 PM

I love contouring and i bought this product as a highlighter.At first i really liked the texture because it lighter than the creamy concealers. However the pencil is not enough to blend it. i always have to use a sponge. Does a pretty good job in terms of highlighting. Today was the 3rd time i use it and after washing my face i was horrified to find my skin had become really red burning and sore. i dont know if its just me but i think i might be allergic to one of the ingredients....

on 12/11/2013 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

i'm surprised at the multitude of so/so reviews for this product, although of course we're all different and expect different things from a particular cosmetic. for me, this is heavenly! i have extremely fair skin (NC15-20) and VERY dark blue/purple circles that are never completely covered up regardless of the products and techniques i'm using. i have many wonderful concealers, some of my favorites being Bobbi Brown's Concealer & Corrector, Benefit's Erase Paste, and Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer, but on their own they're just never enough. i decided to try this Magic Lumi Concealer (shade Light/Pale, which is VERY pale) as a last step on my concealing journey and i use it after my concealer of choice, only dotting it along the very bottom of my circles (the darkest part), and then carefully blending with the tip of my Sonia Kashuk BeautyBlender-knockoff until everything is seamless. i moisturize the skin under my eyes very well and yet i must stress that when using this product, you have to really take your time to blend it carefully in so that it doesn't look 'makeup-y'. this product makes a WORLD of difference in the final outcome of my circles-- instead of the average 75% concealed, they are now atleast 90% gone! and the whole area under my eyes just looks very bright and alive and fresh. i also use this right under my bottom lashline and that brightens things up even more. the sequence in which i apply my makeup goes like this: first, apply concealer, after that apply foundation, then dot/blend the Magic Lumi on my darkest area under eyes, then carefully set concealer and Lumi with a very fine brushing of Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder. i find that if i do the concealer and Lumi first, i can disrupt my undereye area while applying foundation with my Beauty Blender. as for wear, the Lumi stays put until i remove my makeup (i know that the Secret Brightening Powder is integral to making creamy concealers set and stay put) and rinses away easily with my facewash. the only negatives i find with this product are that even with the most careful application, if i get right smack up against the mirror i can 'see' the product somewhat, and i am hyper-conscious about my face makeup being undetectable. i'm not upset by the small amount of product that you get, because i only use such a tiny bit at a time and can see this lasting me months. the worst thing about this product is probably the inability to correctly gauge how many clicks you need for the right amount of product to come out. everytime i use this pen i have to click-twist the bottom atleast 15 times before even a teensy bit of concealer starts coming out, and i'm always worried too much will be dispensed and then wasted. if they could make that mechanism work a little better, this would be a perfect product. for all the good it does, though, i'm willing to overlook the imperfect packaging. it gives me such a fresh, bright look by knocking out my dark (and EVER PRESENT) circles that i'm thrilled! on an end note, i can see why some people don't like using this alone as a concealer, because if you don't have the perfect color then it could look too bright and strange. personally i can use it alone, but it's probably because i'm so ghostly pale. if this isn't working for you, try a few different techniques before giving up on it, it can be a very useful product!
*EDIT* just wanted to add that i am now using this just on top of foundation under my eyes and it's working beautifully. instead of using concealer lately, i've just been using my Revlon Colorstay foundation under my eyes as well as on the rest of my face and then i'm using the Lumi to cover the darkest parts of my circles. it's working beautifully and is no longer detectable closeup after a light sweep of LM Secret Brightening Powder. great product, it's actually better than the Chanel Touche Eclat-type concealer pen i'd used before, and it's available at the drugstore. i will definitely repurchase.

on 12/3/2013 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This pen is OK. It is more of a highlighter than concealer. It does brighten up a bit underneath my eyes. Don't buy it if you're trying to hide blemishes or spots. I use it mostly for my contouring (over my foundation) as the highlighting shade. It blends well for that! But if you're looking to conceal imperfections, I wouldn't use this. It is somewhat watery and goes on very thin so it works well on top of foundations and other concealers without giving you a caked look. It takes a long time to dispense, which is annoying. I always have to give it several clicks (at least 5-10) to see any results. Plus, it is hard to control the amount dispensed. I've run out fairly quickly (about a month) so I probably won't be buying it again since it was fairly pricey at $12+

on 11/19/2013 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was really excited when this product first came out, because L'Oreal is known for their great quality, and I have extremely dark circles.
First off, this product cannot be used alone, for circles, it just doesn't have ample staying power and easily wears off.
Secondly, if you put it on top of a concealer, it looks good, at first, but a few hours later easily wears off.
Thirdly, the packaging, SUCKS, it takes super long for the product to come out onto the brush, and I feel like it isn't very sanitary.
Definitely will not be purchasing this again.

on 11/19/2013 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

What a let-down this product has turned out to be. Knowing that L'Oreal has a lot of high quality products for a drugstore brand, I decided to give this concealer a try. I wish I hadn't, now!

For starters, the "packaging".... It took me forever to get any product to appear on the brush and even more twisting and twisting and TWISTING to get enough to apply to my under eye area. I've used numerous of this style of product before (YSL, Clarins, Lise Watier) so I know it can take a while when you first use this but, honestly, about about a bazillion twists, I thought I'd got a defective tube. Then, I finally got some of the product and all I can say is that it was NOT worth the wait. I got this in the 2nd lightest shade (Fair, I think). This does very little to conceal my under-eye circles in any meaningful way and leaves my under-eye area looking sort of grey. I'm left having to apply Bare Minerals' Well-Rested over top of it to do a half decent job of concealing my dark circles.

For what this is and for how little you get and for how it performs, I find this to be on the pricey side simply because it's a waste of money. Far better to spend a bit more and get Clarins, which does a half decent job! I wouldn't buy this again.

on 11/13/2013 10:36:00 AM

I bought this concealer for the under eye area. I purchased this for $12 and it's only 1ml so I find it expensive. They have 3 shades, light (which I have), medium and dark (which isn't that dark). I find it to have very light coverage and a little bit of a brightening effect. I prefer to out this under my foundation because it just looks better than over top, but when you put your foundation on the concealer is gone. I don't have dark under eyes, or circles, just a bit of red/purple. I like the packaging how it's a twisty but I don't think I would but it again. PROS: packaging, brightening. CONS: expensive, light coverage, not a lot of shades, disappears, not a lot of product.

on 10/29/2013 3:52:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I purchased this product in the shade "Fair" and let me tell you, it is FAIR. Almost white! For a drugstore product to be this fair, I am impressed. It actually gave me "reverse panda eyes!" I need to keep wearing this product to review, but wanted to make a note of the light shade for those who are searching.