October 21, 2014 | 975 users online

Polishes - Essie - Shine of the Times

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 12:17:00 PM More reviews by jamielee983

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

A fool-proof way to spice up ANY manicure! Shine of the Times is what's known as a "flakie" polish. There are multi colored irregular shaped flakes within a semi-sheer base. The flakes flash different colors in different lighting, and also changes depending on what polish you layer it over!
This flakie flashes gold, orange, yellow, and sometimes hints of other colors, but mostly the warmer tones.
It lays flat (nothing poking out of your nails!) and is sure to get compliments. I like it best over really dark colors or over very light colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by melangerehab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm pretty new to nailpolish so I don't have many to choose from, but I layer this on EVERYTHING. I love how it looks. Even when I wear it with no other colors and just on top of a strengthening base coat, it looks really pretty and fun. My boyfriend doesn't really care or notice my nails much, but he saw this and complimented it. Don't get me wrong, I'd wear it whether he liked it or not, but it definitely stands out without looking garish. Would recommend to anyone, nail polish junkie or beginner.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by jazzledazzle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I'm on my second bottle of this polish! It's super sparkly, looks amazing over just about every color, and I can easily find it at Target .. what's not to love about that?! Lately it's been my lifesaver since I haven't had the time to do my usual nail art .. I just plop a ckat of this over whatever color I'm wearing on my thumb and ring fingers for multi-color eye catching accent nails. Ta-da!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by vicarrion

The flakes are impressively dense and because of this you really only need one coat. Application is a breeze, it dries smooth and disguises imperfections in any underlying coat.

In person, the flecks are primarily hot and fiery orange/gold, sparky (not sparkly), a little redder than copper with undertones of brass, while the green that shows up in photos and is evident in the bottle is very secondary if not imperceptible. I invariably base my color choices on whatever draws me in without a care in the world to what shades may or may not complement my skin tone (which I can really only describe as medium, a cross between olive and translucent caucasian), BUT this stands out as particularly UNflattering on me, perhaps because it's so hot.

It DID look a lot better on my much fairer (Scandinavian/Irish) friend and I imagine it would work well against many darker skin tones as well, just not so much for people that fall in the middle.

I kind of detest it on its own and find it only works in combination with a select few other colors. It looks great, cosmic even, against dark shades of green and bluish purple. If you're looking for a subtle sparkle, this isn't it. The flakes will dominate whatever is underneath them.

I really like the consistency of this polish and the bold and vibrant way in which it reflects light but overall, the color is just not quite what I was hoping it would be.

I can't speak for longevity of wear because I dislike it enough to remove it within a day or two.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 3:25:00 AM More reviews by ticklez88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very flexible polish which can be worn over a range of shades. I love how I can wear this with almost every polish in my collection and have a beautiful result each and every time. This is definitely a winner

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by teastains

I bought this to layer over white--thinking the results would be lovely and opal-y. Unfortunately it was a little too light for the irridesence to truly show.
I was initially upset, but then experimented with a dark shade of purple. Having been a tad bit skeptical, I was thoroughly pleased by the result. I never fail to get compliments when I wear it over darker nail colors. I highly recommend layering it over a sparkly deep red. When it shines, it looks flame like.
I work with kids, and they never fail to be entertained by my color changing nails.

On a side note, my brush seperated from the cap. But overall, I am extremely satisfied!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 2:35:00 AM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Amazing flakie polish. Very good coverage in 1-2 coats and looks stunning over so many different colors. It looks like fire on your nails as it flashes from orange to yellow to green depending on the angle. It transforms any color its applied over. I have it on now over OPI Skull and Glossbones and it looks amazing. I never thought I would like flakies this much but this one is going straight into my top 20 polishes!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 6:59:00 AM More reviews by Ice222

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've wanted a flakies polish for a long time but it's very hard for me to find them in my country (NZ). I originally wanted Sally Hansen's Hidden Treasure, from all the photos I've seen online, this polish was the most similar to it. What I love is how versatile it is, wear it over black and you get the dramatic flashes of colour, and over a white, you get subtle shine.

One of my favourite ways to wear it at the moment, is to wear a sheer polish over it. I've been wearing 1 coat of China Glaze Sea Spray (pale gery-blue), 1 coat of OPI Barre My Soul (Sheer beige), 1 coat of Shine of the times, and 2 more coats of Barre My Soul over that.

Sounds over the top, but Barre my soul can be applied so very thinly and it just mutes the flakes a little. The effect makes your nails look like actual opals since the flashes of red and green look like they are coming from the inside! Can't wait to find even more ways to wear it :).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by drpepper234

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first and only Essie product I saw it in the store and was like that is beautiful. So I bought it and well I love it so much. Honestly I didnt really know what to expect and it surpassed anything I could have ever expected from it. You can apply one coat for a more scale effect or you can add two or three for this beautiful overlay. I really recommend it. It looks great on all colors I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2012 9:46:00 AM More reviews by littlecrush

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this nail polish.The first time I wore it was over a pale yellow from NYC Color called Lexington Yellow.It was gorgeous.It has a holographic appeal that's soo fun and pretty.I'm definitely gonna try the rest of the glittery topcoats Essie has come out with.