Essie Shine of the Times

4.7

on 8/22/2012 7:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely love this sparkle overcoat, it looks different for every color you put it on! Black is definitely my favourite to put it over, and I get many compliments as to what nail polish it is when I wear it.
While I have tons of nail polish, this stands out to be one of my favourites. I found that after 4-5 months of owning this, the polish has become a little bit thicker (which is common for me at least with sparkle polishes), but I fixed it using nail polish thinner :)

on 8/18/2012 9:54:00 PM

I first saw this nail polish on MUA and was excited because it looked so colorful, so I went out and bought one for myself.
At first I was not impressed. The polish was thick, gloppy, and did not dry fast enough for me.
Also, the beautiful colors I saw on other girls with this polish did not happen for me.
Recently I have started using it again..and what do you know? I LOVE IT NOW!
I learned how to use it and paired it with Essie's "Boat House" polish which is like a coral-ish color. They look wonderful together!

on 7/18/2012 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

A fool-proof way to spice up ANY manicure! Shine of the Times is what's known as a "flakie" polish. There are multi colored irregular shaped flakes within a semi-sheer base. The flakes flash different colors in different lighting, and also changes depending on what polish you layer it over!
This flakie flashes gold, orange, yellow, and sometimes hints of other colors, but mostly the warmer tones.
It lays flat (nothing poking out of your nails!) and is sure to get compliments. I like it best over really dark colors or over very light colors.

on 7/11/2012 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'm pretty new to nailpolish so I don't have many to choose from, but I layer this on EVERYTHING. I love how it looks. Even when I wear it with no other colors and just on top of a strengthening base coat, it looks really pretty and fun. My boyfriend doesn't really care or notice my nails much, but he saw this and complimented it. Don't get me wrong, I'd wear it whether he liked it or not, but it definitely stands out without looking garish. Would recommend to anyone, nail polish junkie or beginner.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I can't believe I'm on my second bottle of this polish! It's super sparkly, looks amazing over just about every color, and I can easily find it at Target .. what's not to love about that?! Lately it's been my lifesaver since I haven't had the time to do my usual nail art .. I just plop a ckat of this over whatever color I'm wearing on my thumb and ring fingers for multi-color eye catching accent nails. Ta-da!

on 6/28/2012 11:54:00 AM

The flakes are impressively dense and because of this you really only need one coat. Application is a breeze, it dries smooth and disguises imperfections in any underlying coat.

In person, the flecks are primarily hot and fiery orange/gold, sparky (not sparkly), a little redder than copper with undertones of brass, while the green that shows up in photos and is evident in the bottle is very secondary if not imperceptible. I invariably base my color choices on whatever draws me in without a care in the world to what shades may or may not complement my skin tone (which I can really only describe as medium, a cross between olive and translucent caucasian), BUT this stands out as particularly UNflattering on me, perhaps because it's so hot.

It DID look a lot better on my much fairer (Scandinavian/Irish) friend and I imagine it would work well against many darker skin tones as well, just not so much for people that fall in the middle.

I kind of detest it on its own and find it only works in combination with a select few other colors. It looks great, cosmic even, against dark shades of green and bluish purple. If you're looking for a subtle sparkle, this isn't it. The flakes will dominate whatever is underneath them.

I really like the consistency of this polish and the bold and vibrant way in which it reflects light but overall, the color is just not quite what I was hoping it would be.

I can't speak for longevity of wear because I dislike it enough to remove it within a day or two.

on 6/18/2012 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Very flexible polish which can be worn over a range of shades. I love how I can wear this with almost every polish in my collection and have a beautiful result each and every time. This is definitely a winner

on 6/15/2012 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this to layer over white--thinking the results would be lovely and opal-y. Unfortunately it was a little too light for the irridesence to truly show.
I was initially upset, but then experimented with a dark shade of purple. Having been a tad bit skeptical, I was thoroughly pleased by the result. I never fail to get compliments when I wear it over darker nail colors. I highly recommend layering it over a sparkly deep red. When it shines, it looks flame like.
I work with kids, and they never fail to be entertained by my color changing nails.

On a side note, my brush seperated from the cap. But overall, I am extremely satisfied!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Amazing flakie polish. Very good coverage in 1-2 coats and looks stunning over so many different colors. It looks like fire on your nails as it flashes from orange to yellow to green depending on the angle. It transforms any color its applied over. I have it on now over OPI Skull and Glossbones and it looks amazing. I never thought I would like flakies this much but this one is going straight into my top 20 polishes!

on 6/9/2012 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've wanted a flakies polish for a long time but it's very hard for me to find them in my country (NZ). I originally wanted Sally Hansen's Hidden Treasure, from all the photos I've seen online, this polish was the most similar to it. What I love is how versatile it is, wear it over black and you get the dramatic flashes of colour, and over a white, you get subtle shine.

One of my favourite ways to wear it at the moment, is to wear a sheer polish over it. I've been wearing 1 coat of China Glaze Sea Spray (pale gery-blue), 1 coat of OPI Barre My Soul (Sheer beige), 1 coat of Shine of the times, and 2 more coats of Barre My Soul over that.

Sounds over the top, but Barre my soul can be applied so very thinly and it just mutes the flakes a little. The effect makes your nails look like actual opals since the flashes of red and green look like they are coming from the inside! Can't wait to find even more ways to wear it :).

Popular Polishes