October 23, 2014 | 2078 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by makeupchameleon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i love this product because it is really cheap but it is one of the best things i have ever bought. i use it every day and it is a good thing to just keep in your purse to touch up your face throughout the day!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2012 2:19:00 AM More reviews by jesslovescurry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this for a dollar cause I was no where near a decent place to find makeup. I suggest you apply this with a brush or sacrifice looking like you're on coke. Overall, I was impressed that it kept me matte for an hour (I have extremely oily skin). But this product is filled with parabens and made me break out for the first time in a year. I just bought this for fun at a humongous dollar store I was having too much fun at. My skin is sensitive and it's worth spending $30 for a foundation that won't break you out but keep the skin healthier and match your skin tone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by deadonarrival

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I struggle with a very oily tzone year round but also deal with all over oliness in the summer. I must have a travel friendly shine control powder on me and I always go from brand to brand. I've used this cheap powder in the past with no complaints. I feel that it does a decent job controlling my oil. I wouldn't say that this is longwear, I usually have to reapply throughout the day. The texture is not the best but considering it is a $2 powder, I'm not expecting HE finely miled quality. As for the finish, there is a trick to apply translucent white powder. Never rub/smear the puff of powder in big circles all over your face which I've done in the past. You will get casper face by doing this. When working with translucent powder, always start off with a little and build upon that. Start with a tiny smidge on the puff and pat on the oil spot firmly and roll the puff in a upward motion. The oil spot will be matte and you will not see a white cast by doing this technique. I'm NC40 and by applying this powder the correct way, I don't get a white face. Also, be patient when applying any white shine control powder. Take your time to pat and roll on each oily section until your face is at your desired matte level. For the price, you can't beat it but if you are looking for a more refined texture in a face powder, I would suggest something like Shiseido's translucent powder.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by xvivifyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I hate that this has talc in it, but I love it because it works well. I do find that it's easy to put too much on, which ends up making me look chalky. The container is fairly flimsy, but it does the job, and the sponge is utterly useless. I just use a little poof and roll it onto my skin. I probably won't repurchase because I think there are much better products out there, but it's nice to have on hand.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 12:39:00 PM More reviews by THLuver33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

um this powder is just okay. it is vey chalky and clings to my dry patches. it does a pretty job of controlling my oil. it also matches my skin but it is a little too dark for me (i am NW05-10 for reference.) for the price it is good. but i do not think i will be buying this again.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2012 7:42:00 AM More reviews by autumnrainbow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This powder is awful. It doesnt blend in well at all, so you end up looking like a chalky clown. I hate this stuff. I thought for the price I would try it, but I wish I had not purchased this. Would not buy again. I am pretty pale, but I think you would need to be goth to enjoy this, it is way too chalky. Seriously, similar to if you took chalk and ground it up and put it on you face.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 7:17:00 AM More reviews by RosePeacock

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had to delete the review I did for this product a while back. Unfortunately it's caused me to break out pretty bad. I'm really gutted. I thought it was sooo perfect. It's a great match for super pale girls and it gave pretty decent oil control. I want to love it, but I just can't. I'd still recommend it, but it may not work for those with blemish-prone skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2012 7:47:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Def. for the LIGHTEST people! I got this powder in translucent, and now I'm a member of the goth club, as it makes my face so white! It's also chalky and doesn't cover well at all. Very cakey. Had to reapply continuously throughout the day and it never covered well, but it did help with my oily skin better than other compact powders. Didn't cause any breakouts. Oh, and I agree, the packaging is flimsy. Both compacts have already broke and I had to transfer the powder to another container. So, yes, I guess I'd buy again, in another color, because it DOES help with my oily skin, but it really doesn't offer me any coverage at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by anaelleee

This powder is def only for lighter skinned people. Although its supposed to be "translucent", it can become white if over-applied.

The consistency of this powder is soft and doesnt sink into fine lines that much, and the oil control is meh. i didnt break out from this, but if you take a look at the ingredients....its like a paraben-party in this powder! Just that was enough to make me want to chuck this powder, which is fine because it was so inexpensive.

I personally dont mind the packaging too much although it is cheap plastic, its slim and if I had actually cared enough for it, it would have been very convenient for on-the-go or school.

At first, I wanted to give this to a friend who had wanted it, but I took a picture with this powder just to see whether there would be an unattractive ghostly white/film over my face like with some powders, and yup, there it was, very. obvious. So I just threw it out to save my friend the pain of seeing herself at an important event looking ghostly grey.

There are better powders out there, with better ingredients AND packaging(for those that insist on packaging), for only a few extra dollars, and I think itll be worth it to invest a bit more money on something less harmful to your health :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really do love the NYC Smooth Skin Products from the Pressed Powder, the Loose Powder & the Bronzer. This Pressed Powder is a great affordable powder to meet all my needs in a powder. ( my top 3 are these powders & the LA Colors Powder) This powder is used almost daily in my MU routine. I alternate between the 3 I was just talking about.
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- this is the best part of this powder, affordable and in my price range. This cost me $2.99 but ive found them cheaper even at the Dollar Tree. Wait for a bogo sale or its def worth even the typical $2 price tag!
NYC Color Cosmetics are sold in drugstores like Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc as well as Target, Walmart- depending on your local area.
SHADE/FORMULA-
Translucent is a neutral toned very light pale powder. I find it will fit most skin tones. It may start being ashy for med to dark skin tones but if blended out correctly, it may not be a problem. I love how this powder feels. its super smooth and buttery soft. It applies wonderfully on the skin. you wont find any fillers in this powder like some cheaper powders I love using this with any powder brush & if you would like to use a puff to press & roll into the skin to cover up larger pores, it works beautifully for that as well. Its a great setting powder for any liquid and cream foundations. It sets my foundation wonderfully for hours. it def makes them last longer than they would be by themselves. Also this makes a great blotting powder for those with oily skin types. Just press into tzone or oily areas. I have normal to dry skin and this has not looked cakey and it does not cling or emphasize dry spots so its great for normal to dry skin. just go lightly in drier areas. The formula is one of the softest powders i own. This is def pressed well and there's no fallout or loose powder. Its phenomenal.
PACKAGING-
this pressed powder is in simple glossy black compact with a mirror inside. the powder itself has a circular rimmed design. its a decent amount of powder, about the size of my hand. so it will last quite some time. with daily use, i havent hit pan so far over the last 6 months. since its so pigmented & smooth you wont have to dig in. I like the simple packaging, it works to keep the powder compact & safe. its safe for traveling and makeup bags. i took it with me on my recent vacation ( i love the loose powder just as much, i seriously think these two the pressed & loose are the bestest but since the loose powder isnt travel friendly the pressed is def the same thing just pressed) and thru my traveling, this stayed safe and together- no breaking or cracking. but i do see that this may end up getting beat up with alot of rough handling. i never take makeup anywhere so this packaging is alright!
Overall, this powder is simply one of the best!! i really enjoy the natural finish to this powder- its a powerhouse powder, it sets foundations to keep em looking fresh, it keeps the oilies at bay, also a great touch up oil blotting powder for the fraction of the price you would pay for most drugstore powders.