September 19, 2014 | 1232 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Laura Mercier - Foundation Primer Radiance

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by sophiaxxlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this primer! Gives my skin a very dewy complexion without looking shimmery. I would recommend this to anybody who has combination to dry skin. May not be best choice for oily skin. I use it under my Mac matchmaster foundation and it looks like my skin has been airbrushed and it lasts for hours. I bought the travel size tube to try it out. I will definitely be buying a bigger tube when I run out.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by bebejacket

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I haven't used primer in over a year. But the SA at Nordstrom's last event asked if I would try this; and I figured out how to love it!

The squeeze tube is the same as the one that they use for their famous TM.

Worn alone: Doesn't work for me. Results in unnatural yellow gold sheen.

Worn under foundation: It did prolong the wear of my foundation. But I didn't really observe any "radiance" effects. Seems that the foundation applied on top just hides that property.

Now, MIXING the primer WITH the foundation: Oh, my goodness, DEWY RADIANT GOODNESS. Kind of reminiscent of MAC Strobe Cream, but where Strobe Cream has a rosy hue, this has a golden hue.

Doesn't do much to minimize the size of your pores, but I still like it. My skin is combination and I have not experienced breakout after using for 2 weeks. Would repurchase

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148A

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using a sample of this and just ordered a full-size tube yesterday. I have super oily, scarred and pitted skin, and this is the best primer I have ever used. (I have tried many primers, from Monistat anti-chafing gel to HE products and all did little to improve my skin's appearance or make my makeup last longer). I apply Radiance over my Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-touch Sunblock. I let the SS set for a few minutes before applying the primer. After the primer I'm applying either ColorStay, CG Outlast or L'Oreal True Match, and all stay on longer and wear better than with any other primer I've tried. I had stopped using CG Outlast because it would turn orange-y toward the end of the day, but the color stays true on Radiance. My face doesn't get nearly as oily through the day and my foundation looks as good near the end of the day as when I applied it. I've been touching up with powder only once during the day. That's huge for me. So, I wouldn't discourage oily-skinned women from trying this. It might not work for everyone, but for me, Queen of the Oilies, it has been a real find. One slight negative, though -- when I apply my Bare Minerals over Radiance, it goes on splotchy and looks muddy. So, for me, Radiance words best under liquid foundations.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by laureg

Sorry to be a naysayer, but this is so very NOT the primer to use if you have oily skin or an oily t-zone, or if you are very pale. First off, for the pale girls- this stuff is tinted, shows up to be very orange, and will give the appearance that you are wearing very poorly matched foundation. For the oily girls- it all starts out looking great, and at first it was impressive how lovely my skin and makeup looked. Fast forward to lunchtime, and my makeup was pretty much sliding down my face. My makeup lasts better with no primer than it does using this product. The "radiance" part of the primer (which is pearly shimmer that's added to the product) also likely contributed to making my skin look even oilier than it actually is in real life. To be fair, I wore this consecutively for a few days, just to give it a chance. I was so disappointed. For such an expensive product, this was a huge fail. Luckily, I learned my lesson from a luxury sample and wasn't left regretting the purchase of a full size.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Angelamakeup

The first few times I used this I thought it was definitely too shimmery for my liking for a primer. But then I noticed how I looked on camera having used this primer and wow, it really does give me radiant looking skin! This wouldn't be an every day primer that I'd reach for but something I'd use if I were going to be on HD video. I definitely wouldn't reach for this if I was going for a matte look as this gives the look of dewiness. It also has a gold-ish tint to it but that also seems to work well for giving a warmness on camera.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 10:07:00 PM More reviews by princessplumjade

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Honestly, I don't see a huge difference in Primer Radiance's look and performance compared to LM Tinted Moisturizer Illuminating SPF 20. The formulations are a bit different, but both are lightweight, SLIGHTLY moisturizing cosmetics that leave a soft, sheer, luminous finish on the skin. While there's some color variances, the products are so sheer they could be used interchangably with little noticeable difference. Probably the biggest difference is TM Illuminating's SPF 20, BUT even this isn't that impressive because sufficient application of this product to benefit from sunscreen would look thick, oily, and unnatural.

I'm in my early 40's with decent normal/combination skin for my age (non-smoker, minor facial lines and redness). My favorite routine for Radiance is: 1) normal skin care routine; 2) generous application of matte finish sunscreen; 3) squeeze out a pea size amount of Radiance, rub briskly between fingers until all fingertips are evenly coated, 4) pat and LIGHTLY massage over the face, 5) stipple with foundation of choice (my personal faves: Bobbi Brown Skin and Laura Mercier Silk Creme) 6) LIGHTLY powder if necessary. My powder of choice: Too Faced Candlelight

This is a great technique to get a dewy, luminous, ethereal complexion with decent wear (6-8 hours) It's a great makeup look for making your skin the focal point and you need little or no additional cosmetics. A touch of blush, a little lip balm or gloss, and it's done.
The luminous effect "brightens" shadows and dark circles, so concealer is unneccessary.

I DON'T recommend this product for younger skin or for oily skin. Maturer and/or drier skins will get a lovely "lift" from this product if they don't overdo it. Anyone else simply doesn't need it unless they want to use it as a highlighting luminizer.

Overall, I love the effect of this product but I consider it overpriced. However, there is no comparable product in a more affordable price range. This is a cosmetic for people seeking a subtle, sophisticated, NATURAL pearl-like luster, not glitter galore. With the right foundation and a subtle hand, this is the kind of makeup that takes years off your complexion, gets you "double take" looks in public, and has your women friends asking about your skin care and makeup.

UPDATE 11/12/2013: I might be "drying out" more in cooler weather than I have in the past. I applied this primer under a very sheer tinted moisturizer (Paula's Choice Barely There SPF 30 mixed with Hydralight SPF 30) and it has disappeared in half a workday. Not a hint of lit-from-within glow. Honestly, I might need more primer -- I try to keep application very sparing.

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2013 9:11:00 AM More reviews by LibertyRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If you are new to LM's primers, you'd be amazed by this. It goes on smoothly, reduces the amount of foundation you need to apply by half, and makes it last. As far as priming is concerned, you can't ask for more. But if you've tried LM's primers and are no stranger to how well they work, then this one is a superfluous permutation. Compared to other LM primers, it is denser, tinted (though it goes on clear and does not distort the color of foundation), and packed with shimmer to achieve the supposed radiant effect. The shimmer doesn't affect priming, but gives an all-over glistening, Edward-Cullen-under-sunlight effect if the coverage worn is light like tinted moisturizer. Not a flattering look. Glistening and greasy are but separated by a fine line. Once you step up the coverage slightly, like mixing foundation with tinted moisturizer, the shimmer disappears. The end result is no dewier or more radiant. In that case, why not go with other versions of LM primers?

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by raquelo

I've gone through 2 bottles of this product because it's amazing. My favorite part is that my makeup lasts 12+ hours with this. I've used it under Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and MAC Studio Fix and both look amazing after a long day of work and school. I have eczema, I used this when I was having horrible flare-ups and this didn't make it worse or anything, and it helped my skin look somewhat normal, I also have been using now that my eczema is gone. I also have acne-prone skin (once the eczema is under control, here comes the acne) and while it didn't cause any horrible break outs, I’ve never been had completely clear skin whist using this.
The bottle design is alright. It's sturdy, so my teenage sister can leave it on the floor, it gets kicked around a bit, it's still alright. The squirt is a bit unpredictable, so sometimes I would have to run the extra on my chest. It lasts a good, I want to say 6 months. Price is fair for such a great product.
Now, for the "radiance" part.... it’s nice...at first. After using this for about 1 year the radiance used to be fun, but now it's like, "please no more radiance!" I'm tired of it. It makes everything look a bit shimmery, not dewy, and I prefer dewy. You have to be careful where you apply it, because if applied all over face, the entire face will be shimmery, and in an odd twist leave it one-dimensional. I also think it darkens the foundations placed over it. So I'm over it. No more radiance for me. I'll miss your staying power radiance primer, but I can't do it anymore. I'm going to try the LM hydrating primer. I just hope it's as good as you.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2013 8:17:00 PM More reviews by Dimplesnpaws

Ive been switching back and forth between silicone ish Smashbox Photofinish and the original Laura Mercier Primer. I absolutely love how the original one felt, almost like a moisturizing emulsion that helps my moisturizer... But I am not sure about whether it lasted longer than photo finish/or if it was better. On nights I wanted to really get a glow I'd use LM and when I'd go to an event and wanted my makeup airbrushed ish once the light hit I'd use Photofinish (dunno if it makes sense, lol made sense to me).

But I hated the silicone heavy feeling and I almost hate knowing my skin can't breathe and I use my primer daily so boy was I EXCITED to find out Radiance came out!!! Who doesnt want to be radiant?!? Lol It was the "it" that pushed my decision to definitely go with LM. I'm all about the "flawless, airbrush-glow from within yet surprisingly natural looking " makeup. AND my radiance primer is AMAZZZZZING. So far, so good. Ive even been Given more compliments than usual, and all that's changed is my primer :) to get this same effect I used to have to use the MAC strobe primer and mix it with the LM hydrating and now Its in one tube!! (a trick a few makeup artists I know use).

This radiance primer Looks fantastic under any foundation, I personally use DiorSkin nude. It glides on light and has a tiny bit of tint and sparkle but not too much that it bothers you - I hate sparkles but this one just gives enough subtle "glow" and it's just barely shining through under the foundation. It's so subtle but it delivers what it promises- that RADIANCE from within that looks like we spent hours in bed with a lover and millions of dollars on skin care... Hahahahaha.

It's helped my foundation go the extra mile in terms of long wear but not really as much as a couple primers ive tried..though my foundation already stays put all day on its own, it's still a a good enough insurance that it won't look faded in the last hour.... As far as my pores- def minimizes mine and already gives that flawless tinted moisturizer look even before I put on the foundation. Great to wear on days I just want no makeup and a little glow :)

One lippy off because of price -even though reasonable for a primer this amazing is still a bit more, and also because on some days I still think maybe my silicone primer gives off a more "made up" feel and extra smooth finish. Nothing provides silk finish like silicone does, but i cant get over the silicone feel. Maybe just on special nights ill see how Using both may look. Lol!!! But even as I write this - im thinking thats so silly and it's all in my head because THIS stuff Is SO AMAZING, it's worth it. Get it for the radiance ( i mean, what are we wearing makeup for anyway right?!?) and Def a good highlighter too.

BUT IF YOUR SKIN is OILY - this Is not for you. Has no oil control, it won't make you a grease monkey or anything like that but there are other ones that can prime and control your oil better. Although a gf of mine has oily skin and she uses this as highlighter under her foundation and it looks great.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 3:36:00 AM More reviews by DaniDeelish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Holly cow this stuff is INCREDIBLE! A HG for sure!
The problem I have had with primers in the past is, because I have dry skin, most primers dry and flake my skin (as theyre silicone based). The ones that dont dry my skin out (the ones that aren't silicone based) dont have any benefits and I dont notice a difference with them at all. This product is completely different and a miracle worker!
A primer is supposed to minimize the appearance of pores, fine lines and wrinkles, make your makeup go on smoother and last longer. Some have other added benefits (like giving your skin a glow like this primer, adding hydration if its a hydrating primer, etc).
I don't really have a problem with my foundation lasting (as I have dry skin so oils don't break my foundation down), but I have HUGE pores around my nose, so much so that I was never able to wear highlighter as it just emphasized my pores so much and made them look huuugggeee.
After this product, my pores are reduced by about 95%. They are hardly visible at all. And I can finally wear highlighter without having to worry about my pore size.
I can tell you right off the bat that if you're looking for a primer to make your foundation last longer or one to minimise wrinkles, there will be better ones out there. This primer would be great for people who suffer with huge pores and love a nice glow to the face, but don't necessarily have a problem with their foundation lasting, like myself. This primer will help with both of those issues (wrinkles and making makeup last longer), but I don't think it will be the best for either.
This has a gel-cream like texture and has a golden pearlescent glow to it, so if you have extremely oily skin or don't like a glowy complexion then this is probably not for you. I don't notice the 'radiance' part too much. Especially after I apply foundation on top. It's NOT sparkly at all. It just adds a bit of a light glow to the skin. Nothing dramatic but makes you look healthy and fresh.
I apply this after letting my moisturiser sit on the skin for about 5 minutes, and then let this sit for another 5 minutes before I apply foundation. I recommend applying it with your fingers. It can get quite sticky/tacky if you apply with a brush.
Something to keep in mind with this primer is that right after i apply it, my pores actually look bigger than before. Do not be alarmed by this, and don't wash or rub it off because of that. once you apply your foundation on top, the pores just disappear.
Think of it this way. The fine shimmers in this product go in to your pores, and make them look bigger initially. But, they also fill them up, so your foundation glides over your pores without going in to them.
I've never had a problem with clogged pores with this primer.
This primer is not silicone based and isn't drying on my skin at all, like most other primers I have used.
You need about a pea sized amount (or even less) for your whole face, so it will last you a long time.
I initially bought the 50ml/1.7 fl.oz size, then straight away bought the 100ml/3.4 fl.oz size cause I was so in love.
This stuff is a little pricey, but well worth it for me. I paid about $47 for the 100ml/3.4 fl.oz size, and about $25 or the 50ml/1.7 fl.oz size off eBay (make sure its a reputable seller)
A staple in my makeup routine now. LOVE IT and can't go without it now. 100% recommend and would 100% repurchase. Good job Laura Mercier! Please never discontinue this amazing stuff!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No