September 23, 2014 | 2058 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Illusion D'Ombre - Illusoire

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by stls

Illusoire is one of these rare gems I prefer not knowing about. I was almost perfectly happy with my eyeshadow collection till noticing illusoire. Because it's utterly breathtaking and very expensive (35 euros for an eyeshadow? Seriously?) No more makeup purchases till Christmas for me!

Others have described the color and consistency pretty accurately- it really is a buildable purple/gray/taupey/lavender combination with tons of fine silver/gray/lilac shimmer. Feels dense and applies easily, no fallout and no creasing with TFSI. Also the brush that comes in the box works great with the texture of the eyeshadow!

The most impressive about Illusoire is that applied alone on the lid with just eyeliner and mascara looks so multidimensional, you can hardly believe it's just a single color on the lid. I have no other eyeshadow that looks so complete, interesting, sophisticated and glamorous on its own.

I am a little worried about drying out because I use it only for nights out (too shimmery for daytime for me) but I plan on using it every night out this fall/winter. (Purple/taupe are my favorite eyeshadow colors anyway, really make green eyes pop)
If it wasn't so expensive I would buy backups for a lifetime, sigh...

Edit: after a few tries the compliments keep coming, so glad I got Illusoire!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this shadow! It's such a gorgeous smoky violet with a grey tone that reminds me of Chanel's Fauve eyeshadow. Tons of micro-fine silvery shimmer dust throughout that creates a beautiful glistening, light catching effect. I'm a fan of how easy it is to build up intensity, though it looks equally beautiful as a sheer wash. It feels much less dense and heavy than the Bobbi Brown or Stila cream shadows. This is more like a plush mousse, lightweight and comfortable on the skin with a silky, spreadable texture. I want to describe them as being slick even though that conjures an oily image, which this is definitely not.

For something quick and simple I do a sheer swipe of this across my lids with some mascara and brow gel. But it looks amazing with Fauve in the crease and outer V, paired with some grey liner. When I go out I wear a heavy layer of this and use Mirifique in the both the outer V and as a liner. I think it's very versatile and it looks great with a wide variety of shades. I've tried to wear it as an eyeliner with a cream eyeliner brush and I didn't like it at all... it didn't show up well and it was awkward to layer it.

The longevity is above average, not as long wearing for me as Armani's Eyes to Kill Intense shadows (which have a similar luminescent, strongly pigmented effect). Though if I wear this beneath my lower lash line I notice a shimmer spread across my upper cheeks. Also if I inadvertently rub my eyes a little it comes off easily, so if you're someone with easily irritated eyes, allergies or the like you may want to be careful. Packaging is kinda clunky but strangely enough I like it, and I don't know if I'd want to see these in a plastic compact. I use the tiny brush that's included only if I'm traveling or I need to throw this in my makeup bag for later. Otherwise I use my own brushes or my finger, both methods work just fine for me. This is one of my favorite formulas and I hope there's more colors to come.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by makeupphd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Expensive as a mother! but so worth the cost! This purple-grey gel-like shadow is GORGEOUS!!! It's got silvery flecks in it that give it extra ooomph, but I like wearing it in the daytime as a wash over the lid. The brush that comes with the shadow is pretty useful in building up the intensity of the color for night looks, but for daytime, I simply swatch it on w my finger and it's enough. It's great alone of with any taupe shades in the crease for a more complex look. AMAZING! Great for brown eyes especially.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2012 1:15:00 AM More reviews by diamondtiara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is one of the best Chanel products I've ever purchased. Truly, I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. My one qualm is that this is supposed to be a setting cream that doesn't budge, but I absolutely need a primer underneath this if I want it to last more than 4 hours. (My lids are normal, not oily.) However, I use a primer under all my eyeshadows anyway, so it's not a huge deal, just one little issue.

Other than the longevity, I am thrilled with Illusoire! The color is really something special. No one does sparkle, shimmer, and shine quite like Chanel. Illusoire is a perfect shade that really emulates the Chanel look: sophisticated, elegant, but modern and a little sexy. I especially think green eyes NEED this shade, price tag be damned! Other colors that come close in other brands just can't match the mousse-y, spongy texture.

I love to wear use a light layer of Illusoire all over the lid and then smudged into the crease. Then I add a second, slightly heavier layer just to the lid. Sometimes I add a touch - and I do mean just a touch - to a small brush and line my lower lashline. I tightline with black pencil and add several coats of mascara, and voila - gorgeousness in about two minutes flat!

My other favorite way to use Illusoire is as an eyeliner. Lately, I've been wearing a matte lavender all over the eye, with a purple-taupe in the outer V. (Recommendation: Chanel Fauve!) Using a super thin eyeliner brush, I line my eyes with Illusoire, and add a little flick. The effect is STUNNING, and I get showered with compliments!

Yes, the price is kind of insane. But one pot of this, when well-stored (keep the lid super tight and keep the entire jar tucked away in a drawer in a cool room), could easily last for ages. I think this color is so unusual, yet so readily wearable, that girls with all eye and skin tones should have it in their arsenal!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2012 8:24:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Illusoire is truly gorgeous. It's the only shade I wanted from this line and it's also the most universal shade besides Mirifique. It appears to be a taupe with purple throughout it, but it's far from average in tone and texture. I don't have anything like it that matches. The sparkle and shimmer is so refined, even though it can be cool and modern depending on what you use with it. You can do many looks with this shade. Just on it's own with pink or nude lipstick is pretty and feminine. Paired with Mirifique or cat eyeliner is very sexy. I've also used it as a smoky wash of color around my eyes. It's stunning. There's no other word that fits how I feel about it. You can use it with other shadow brands, but anything that goes over it is somehow stealing it's beauty.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 1:13:00 AM More reviews by sadendingsong

I rarely jump at single shadows anymore because I already own way too much eyeshadow, and it is even more rare for me to plunk down close to $40 for a single color, but when I first saw this launch I knew I had to have it. I've never felt more drawn to a color! It is a complex purple-toned grey with a combination of different shimmers that elevate this color to a whole new level. The problem with powder eyeshadows is that they never quite look as dimensional as creams, but creams always crease on my oily lids so I stayed away from them. But when I saw review that said this does not crease I was swayed and it truly does last very, very well. After Maybelline's Color Tattoos launched, I compared the lasting power of this to Bad to the Bronze and this lasts longer, making it the longest lasting cream shadow I own that's still available at stores.

The texture is spongey and creamy and infinitely blend-able because it never seems to set. Yet, it does feel very dry at the same time so you feel confident it's going to last all day which it does. I have issues with this showing up as intensely as I like, and if I am in too much of a hurry to build the color up, I'll use Nyx Black Bean in my outer v with this on top. I also tend to use Too Faced Shadow Insurance underneath more out of habit but on drier lids that won't be necessary.

For the minor pay-off issues, I would've rated this a 4/5 but it is just so, so pretty with such great complex shimmer that I have to say it is probably going to be a staple in my makeup bag. It's perfect for any occasion because it manages to be interesting and tasteful. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 12:53:00 AM More reviews by sonshinex3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Illusoire comes in a little pot with the Chanel logo on the cap. Inside the pot lays a hint of purple/taupe/gray color and the texture is moose-like. It is soft/smooth and great to apply on the lids.

You can use this during the day time with a light hand (I like to use my clean fingers for application) or a night out.

I got this as a birthday present from my friend a while ago (the price tag is horrendous!) and never really touched it that much until just recently. I am glad I picked it up because I can use this color to lightly define my outer-v for a daily look. This color is beautiful! However I probably won't be repurchasing this because it really is costly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Prncs06

Illusoire is a beautiful grayish purple with silver shimmer. Has a hint of taupe, but really leans on the gray side for me. I like to stare at it inside the pot- the way it catches the light is unbelievable. It is a pricy shadow at $36, but I regret nothing. For one, you can wear it on its own, and the texture is unlike any other. Spongy, soft, smooth, easy to apply to the lids. I like to wear it all over the lid, applied with fingers, with black liner. For me, Illusoire is not dark or defined enough to serve as its own liner, so instead something I'm loving recently is wearing a champagne or nude on the lid, black liner, and a swipe of Illusoire peeking above the black liner. Gorgeous, unique, worth the splurge.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by sirenswin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was reluctant into buying this, but I did like the undefinable color (no not purple, not grey, it really is just undefinable), especially when the SA said that it is not shiny or glittery (even though it obviously seemed this way). On skin this looks perfect - adds light where it should and looks shadowy where you need it. Also lasts without an eye primer (I always need an eye primer) and it has to be the first eye shadow that looks so good on its own that I even didn't feel like using an eyeliner with it. Looks expensive, perfect for daywear but night time too (why not?) and my only problem with it is this - why do all the other e/s I own (some very expensive too) seem so useless now?
EDITED: I think I know how to describe the color (on pale skin like mine) - it comes off more like a purplish-taupe, would definitely not call it a purple but a more sophisticated taupe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This is an absolutely beautiful smoky mauve, gray, taupe. What I love most about this shadow formula is how much depth it has on the eyes. It looks like I'm wearing more than one color. The price tag is horrendous, but for a product this great, its worth it.