Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/18/2012 12:44:00 PM

This is my all time favorite everyday perfume. I get so many compliments from both men and women. Oddly, many men recognize the smell, maybe because it is one of those unisex scents. It's a warm slightly exotic scent, similar to the scent when something is labeled as cashmere or egyptian cotton. It's a musk but not a manly, overwhelming kind. I wear this as my every day perfume but I feel like it is appropriate for night, dressed up at a formal event even. I started out with the roll on bottle and got a 30 ml bottle to fill it, even though now I usually just dab it on from the large bottle. This is an actual oil so it will stay on your skin as long as you want it to and even longer on your clothes. I can still smell it on a jacket or scarf days even weeks after wearing them. I will repurchase this forever and I highly recommend this to all women, it seems to go with everyone's body chemistry.

on 9/17/2012 9:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The quintessential hippie sexy smell. Musk, lotus, storax and myrrh give this a deep, linear, yet soft character. Can be worn to work. Can be worn to bed. Can be worn to a Grateful Dead concert. Loves boho clothes. Loves yoga pants and a hoodie. Goddess like in an earthy, mortal woman way. Smells healthy and sensuous like puppy fur.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a really interesting fragrance, and one I had to work hard at to appreciate fully: hopefully my review will prevent those who have just received their bottle and think they are anosmic to the scent from throwing it out!

I initially ordered three Auric Blends oils, among them Egyptian Goddess and Night Queen. I tried EG first--smelled nothing in the glass vial, rolled some on, nothing on my skin. I waited a bit...nothing. I asked my husband to roll some on his arm and tell me what he smelled--he reported it smelled "perfumey but very light". This at least confirmed that the oil smelled of something, even if I couldn't detect it.

The next day I sampled Night Queen and, lo and behold, the driedown reminded me of something...and now I realise the musky base is composed of EG. I persevered with EG and after about 5 wears, I finally smelled the fragrance: a slightly nutty, warm and faintly sweet skin accord which sometimes morphs into something florally fresh on me. It seems that the more the bottle is exposed to air through use, the stronger and faster the scent comes through. Neverheless, it takes about half an hour for my body heat to allow it to bloom, and fresh air helps my nose detect the fragrance. It will remain quiet and undetectable at times, and then waft up in a lovely way when my body temperature fluctuates.

I can't see how anyone could find this perfume unpleasant or in any way overwhelming as it is so subtle. Equally, I find it hard to believe that anyone gets enough sillage out of this to stop people in their tracks; you do need to be close to the wearer to pick it up at all, not that that is a bad thing. To me, this is very much something to wear in the summer heat when the combo of higher temperatures coupled with short sleeves and more skin surface to apply it to allow it to develop fully. This simply isn't a strong enough fragrance to work its way through crisp cold temperatures or layers of woolen sweaters, scarves, and winter coats.

The ultimate appeal of this is how it plays peek-a-boo with the wearer and morphs from earthy-flat to floral whisper all in the same day, how quiet and intimate it is and how grounding a scent experience it provides when one needs a rest from statement fragrances.

I'd give it 3.5 lippies if I could as I do like this very much and will repurchase, but I do think some non-musk component in this oil could easily be amped up just a notch to make this a bit less elusive and frustrating to so many who sample it and ultimately probably write it off prematurely. You shouldn't really have to go through a quarter of a vial just to detect the fragrance in the first place; alas, once you do, it is too comforting a scent to resist.

on 6/27/2012 2:36:00 PM

It took a while for me to appreciate this fragrance. I used to be almost completely anosmic to it; the roll-on oil struck me as having a slight woodsy/smoky tinge to it, but without any other distinguishable notes. Seemed like a waste of money.

Well, my chemistry and sense of smell have changed after having my second child-- now, I cannot tolerate the voluptuous florals, edgy chypres, and sweet orientals I used to love, and I am suddenly smitted by downmarket musks (which I used to be barely able to detect). Egyptian Goddess is definitely a musk, perhaps closest in character to Coty Wild Musk. It's less soapy-clean than Jovan or Alyssa Ashley. It is warm, a bit woodsy, and very very soft and powdery. It's what sun-warmed clean skin should smell like. Intoxicatingly layered, yet very subtle and close to the skin. It's my favorite! Would love to try the spray version of it, as I think it would be less messy than the oil-- but can't justify that when I have two roll-ons and a refill bottle of oil. I just make sure to rub it into my neck, chest, and wrists well so it doesn't stain. A yummy, unique, very non-perfumy experience for those with sensitive noses.

on 3/30/2012 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I wear this pretty regularly, but it reacts to my chemistry in very different ways depending on the day, so I have to test it--sometimes it is nice and fresh and light, other times it can be a little "grandma" on me like a reviewer said below. I have to take a tiny roll-on to try it, see what it is like that day, and either proceed or abort.

I like this strange smell, better than the other ones I got (Rasta and Black Orchid) at Tom's, but even though I wear it several times a week, I wouldn't say it is HG.

on 3/4/2012 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i love all different fragrances. yet the one i always return to is egyptian musks. they are just more, me. this in particular is a lovely sexy earthy, feminine scent. its soft enough to be intriguing but it is very lovely. i adore perfume oils too. much better staying power and with spray perfumes it takes a while to let the scent "develop". i just love this. i am always smelling my wrist when i wear this. its isnt for everyone but it is unique and lovely.

Mmm! This one I like. It is very unique, feminine, and just yummy. I enjoy it and would definately recommend.

on 10/13/2011 12:41:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

A decent Egyptian-style musk without a lot of added frills; there may be some discreet floral notes in here but I pick up a supporting cast of mainly quiet spices and woods. Dries down soft and close, hangs around a long time. It's evocative of clean skin but unlike so many of the recent popular musk scents the emphasis is on the "skin" rather than the "clean" so it smells warm and slightly sexy, not soapy. Surprisingly good at the price point and worth it if you want an everyday, neutral light musk. If you like it, you may want to check out "Special Delivery"from Dirty Sanchez Soaps on etsy, which uses a very similar fragrance.

EDIT 2012: after educating my nose a little more, I can identify this scent as having a solid backbone of musk + jasmine. I'm not a big jasmine wearer but together with the musk I really like it. I believe it's the jasmine that evokes the "soapy" association some people have for Egyptian musk.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I just got this in the mail today along with two other scents. I ordered it off of Amazon and Tom's Incense, it was $19.77 for the three of them.

This scent, I'm not really positive, but I think I detect water lily, musk and maybe sandalwood amongst many other notes. It's a sort of incense smell to me...which I like. It's more on the mature side.
I think it could be considered a "sexy" scent depending on who you're trying to attract. I'm sure a few people would consider it an old lady scent though haha. But it's soft and I like it.

on 10/6/2011 10:11:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i read the reviews ,bought it without thinking(i had it shiped internationally) 3 roll-ons plus other scents (which i ended up liking them better than EG)
at first i could not smell it at all (weired) never had this problem with any other scent,but after 2 uses i could smell it and i need to tell those poeple who think this sexy IT IS NOT,it's a clean ,skin scent,like your skin smells after a shower with a very obvious floral notes nothing more.
the price is good ,packaging is handy and now i use it after showering and when going out i spray my own perfum as you can easily layer this with almost anything,not going to buy again,i liked other auric blends better.

Popular Fragrances