Lancome Magie Noire

3.5

on 5/6/2009 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Notes: Blackcurrant, Hyacinth, Bergamot, Raspberry, Honey, Tuberose, Narcissus, Rose oriental, Patchouli, Vetiver, Civet, Castoreum

Nose: Gerard Goupy

This review is for Lancome Magie Noire EDT in the black bottle. Magie Noire means "black magic" in French and I find this title to be completely suitable. The opening to me was aldehydic but the best of the fragrance is after about 10 minutes when the aldehydes are gone. What's left is a simultaneously warm, mysterious, classy fragrance. I wouldn't call Magie Noire well blended as from my skin I get alternating wafts of sweet berry and honey, leather, spice, rich florals, and civet. The "poo-like" smell of civet is definitely there along with a bitter herbal-type scent as well. A dark, beautiful, classic fragrance I give 5 lippies to.
Edit: May 8/09: I tried the Magie Noire in the clear rectangular bottle that's now available at the department stores and it's significantly different from the Magie Noire in the black bottle. If you see the black bottle, snatch it up. The MN in the clear rectangular bottle is quite watered down with quite a bit more floral added. There's also a nail polish remover note in there that I didn't smell from the MN in the black bottle. Also, not as complex as MN in the black bottle. Dry-down is still quite skanky and not a bad fragrance at all but I personally prefer the old MN in the black bottle.

on 3/30/2009 8:00:00 PM

Yes, it does smell a bit of dead flowers...but just because you associate dead flowers with a cemetary does not mean that magie noire smells like a cemetary. Ahhh, what a silly comment. Moving on, this is a very mysterious scent. That is the perfect word to describe it. It, to me, is not overly sexy, girly, sophisticated, old-lady, or whatever else you want to call it. It is deep, cozy, very vintage and mysterious. Not for everyone, which should be evident by the fact that i like it.

on 12/22/2008 10:39:00 PM

Magie Noire goes in my category of classic ,vintage fragrance and I love it. It's not for everyone for sure but it's unusual in this day of fruity floral sweet gourmand crap and I love it for that.Anotehr HG fragreance for me. I wish Lancome would relaunch the Parfum which is glorious. They just don't make'em like that anymore.l
Anyone from Lancome reading this- bring back the Parfum ! Please !

on 10/18/2008 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I and my husband separated last year, I did a recoup of my fragrances just so I wouldn't be reminded of him! I love Cinnabar, Opium and the orientals and musks too...and I saw the black topped bottle of Magie Noire on ebay, and went hunting online for a discription. I liked what I read and on the whim bought a bottle. It is very different. and it takes a brave woman to wear it, a confident sensual sort of woman. I have had many complements on it. It reminds me of wood, leather, incense and beeswax...and it DOESN'T remind me of my ex!! It represents the newly resurrected ME!! I would like to mention to the youngsters on here need to remember that those "old ladies" in minks were once young, like them, and the classics endure. Those fruity foo-foo fragrances are nice, but classic scents are for women and establishing your style of who you are!! (those fruity things are going to be like tatoos...cute when you are 19, but really sad when you are hitting middle age!) So be a bit adventuorous, and mysterious, 'cause there are a lot of men out there that like that sort of thing!
Will definitely keep wearing this keeper!

on 9/15/2008 12:55:00 AM

I know it does not come across as the most sophisticated fragrance especially when compared with more contemporary lines, but I just loooove it so much. I remember my mother wearing it in the eighties when I was a little girl. It reminds me of the 1950's because it's just so unapologetically...feminine and glamorous. Hey, Dita Von Teese wears it. As far as what it really smells like...I'm not sure if I can describe it...dark, floral, not really natural, powdery, like Marilyn Monroe. I don't actually wear it anymore. When I did it was like kid wearing an evening gown. I'm just not sure if I'm woman enough.

on 9/6/2008 10:22:00 AM

Magie Noire sparked my love affair with perfume. This was my mother's special occasion fragrance, saved for weddings and fancy events. I loved it so much that I started stealing spritzes of it when I was 15/16 years-old and wearing it to school. An in-your-face 80s fragrance, I remember loving the smell of those spicy green florals when I first put it on and something about the fact that you could still smell that woody drydown on your clothes and on your sheets the next day really got to me. And I still can't find a perfume that has this kind of sillage on me. I must've been knocking people over in my wake. What can I say? It was love at first sniff.

Since there was an 80s flashback in fashion recently, I was really hoping Lancome would re-launch this one (the parfum version) in its original beautiful bottle. The one I ordered from a discounter (which was the EDT) came in a black plastic bottle which doesn't do it for me. I don't think the plastic will do the juice any favors in the long run either.

on 5/8/2008 8:17:00 PM

A true Classic. Its up there with Chanel 5. Magie Niore is classic, sophisticated and confident.

on 5/8/2008 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really like this perfume mostly because it is a fairly classic fragrance. It is leathery and oriental with spicy floral notes. It is a smell I associate with a confident, strong, sensual, and unique woman. So many modern fragrances are sticky-sweet like fruit punch and with pungent florals. Yes, Magie Noire is of a different age but I think that it is a refreshing change to get back to more of a classic scent, one of quality and fine craftsmanship in the formulation. Definitely use a light hand with the application. I like to spray it into the air in front of me and then walk through it. If it's subtle it will be absolutely beautiful and unique and I guarantee that no one else will smell like you. I am absolutely starting to hate that so many fragrances smell so much alike these days so Magie Noire helps to break it up a bit when I feel like I want a bit more sophistication and less foo-foo.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this. I think almost all lines have their signature "early" scents, like Clinique with Aromatics, Sisley with Eau du Soir, EL with Youth Dew etc...and I think this is Lancomes. I am not good at describing scents but it smells good. It's sexy, rich and warm. If I wear it on something like a jacket that I dry clean, it stays on for months, so use a light hand. I'm sure that's a big help...it just reminds me of when i used to work at the Lancome counter and they sent us to school and gave us this to wear and Ioved that time I worked there! $55 for the only size they carry anymore.

on 4/6/2008 9:47:00 PM

For an Eau De Toilette, Magie Noir has amazing staying power. I can put it on before I start my day and still smell it the next morning. That's powerful!

The top notes hit me like a ton of bricks every time I apply it. My coworkers laugh at me whenever I put it on, because they think it's so old and 80's and screamingly loud. But when it begins to mellow out, they all agree it's actually quite nice.

I love Magie Noir. I don't think it's a new formulation at all. It's just as I remember when I first wore it as a teen. Richly warm and melodic.

Popular Fragrances