April 23, 2014 | 1123 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. IV

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2012 7:51:00 PM More reviews by hMFdeeezy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I just purchased this last weekend at my local Nordstrom Rack and stumbled upon this. The shadows are very pigmented and personally, I'd never think to get out of my normal neutral colors but since I bought this I experiment and it just looks gorgeous ! For the price, who could pass it up!

The only downside imo is the bulkiness but no big deal. I just put it under my makeup case lol

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by admilly101

I LOVE THIS PALETTE!
Pros:
-The shadows are very pigmented
-It has a very nice range of shades
-I got it for cheaper than it would usually be on hautelook (I guess thats only a pro for me! XD)
Cons:
-Not a fan of the big, bulky, unnecessary packaging.
Price: $30 on hautelook
Would I buy again? No, because I dont think I would need to!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 9:57:00 AM More reviews by MadameChic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Green

My first BOS. Let me just start by saying the amount you get for your money is impressive, if you were to count individual products you'd be amazed at what you can save.

I didn't get into shadow until very recently. I'm glad I made this purchase because I now have a variety of colours I can now play with - brights and neutrals.

What else was great about this product is that it comes with two miniatures, the super curl mascara, primer and a full size 24/7 liner pen. This gave me the chance to try out Urban Decay products that I wouldn't have purchased solely on their own. And you know what? I absolutely LOVE all three additional products. So not only have I got wonderful, pigmented shadows I also have a new mascara, primer and liquid liner to add to my growing collection.

The packaging is where the let down is, however. it's not practical for travelling and the drawer where the make-up is contained gets jammed. When it arrived I could not open the drawer and tried to use tweezers to run down the sides and make it less 'sticky'. In doing this I damaged one of the my shadows - Zephyr. And although I have now repressed it, there was white shimmer all over the joint until I cleaned it up.

Other than that the products themselves are great. It's what's inside that matters.

I do not really care for the huge butterfly packaging - although it was cool to look at, at first.

The speaker and videos are good for beginners.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2012 11:40:00 AM More reviews by EternalMyrtle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I first got this, I was really impressed. Now I am downgrading slightly to 4 lippies mostly because I only really like and wear a small selection of the colors. Some of the colors would be great if only they didn't have so much darn glitter (please make midnight cowgirl without glitter!). Sadly, I am too old for glitter.

I use this palette almost every day, usually with "Sin" as a base, "Lost" as a crease color and a light wash of "Baked" in the middle of the lid. I then use a chocolate brown liner and some black mascara. This is my go to look and it compliments my medium olive complexion very well.

"Lost" is a standout color. It is a bronze/taupe color so smooth, so silky, so beautiful. It can be cool or warm: I know that sounds strange but it gives off a different effect depending on what other colors you combine it with. It is so versatile. I would buy this whole pallet for that one shadow. UD recently made a single of this shadow though so you don't have to (lucky you!). When I bought this palette, there was no single of that color. Unfortunately, I do find that some of the shadows will crease after several hours, even with primer.

There are some other good ones in here, too (Bender, Bust, Zephyr, Missionary, Sin and Skimp come to mind), and others I haven't tried yet and probably never will. Bust is almost as spectacular as lost. There are a few I don't like. Most of the shadows are great quality--smooth and highly pigmented with an amazing sheen.

I got a good price on this because there is a promotion going on so I really cannot complain: you get 16 shadows, a small mascara, an eyeliner and primer potion for $29 ($35 with shipping). The eyeliner is great but hard to remove. For everyday use, I still use my ELF cream eyeliner which I like almost as much. The UD liquid liner allows you to get a really fine, precise line which I prefer but taking it off is too difficult for everyday use. The mascara is great, love the wand. I haven't tried the primer because I prefer the packaging of the NYX primer I use. I just reach for it first.

I haven't used the multimedia stuff yet. I wish this were a sleeker palette that I could take with me. It is pretty bulky. It would make a great gift though since it feels really exciting to open the package. It almost seems weird NOT to give it away as a gift because the packaging is so over the top. In fact, when I first saw it, I almost decided to send it to my sister as a gift.

All in all, I love this palette and am really happy that I took the plunge and bought it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 3:07:00 PM More reviews by snowcritter

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an incredibly versatile product. There are 16 shadows, primer, mascara, & liquid eyeliner. This pallete does not have too much shimmer in the shadows, so you can wear all of them. They have a lovely purple, cute Blue Bus, a speaker & instructions on how to apply the m/u that you can use if you have an I-phone. If you like UD but are leery of too much glitter or too much bizarre color in the eye shadows, this pallete is for you. I have 0 bad & all good to say. I also own the Naked pallete & this is a good complement to it. I loved trying the liquid liner which is really pretty & not hard to apply after you practice a little!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is the first BOS I've ever bought, and overall, I'm very impressed. I got it on clearance from UD's web site and got an extra $15 off the clearance price using a code they provided. With shipping and tax, it came to around $37.

As others have noted, the package is bulky and the bottom drawer can be tough to open. I accidentally knicked a chunk of shadow out of the bottom right-hand shade when trying to pull the drawer open.

The colors are a beautiful mix of bright and neutral shades. Some of them, especially Blue Bus and Crystal, are drier than usual and lack pigmentation, although with Blue Bus I actually found this to be a plus as I was able to use it for a more subtle, office-friendly purple smoky eye that would have been too "loud" with a more pigmented shadow. Gunmetal and Sin are already in my Naked palette, but the rest of the shades are new for me.

I love the how-to QRF scan card and the phone holder. I was able to use it to do the Monochrome look, which turned out beautifully. Being able to have the phone playing the video and mounted right beside the product and mirror was a plus. The speaker sounds surprisingly good for what it is.

I'm not sure I would have paid full price for this. The colors are nice but not new-and-exciting, but for what I paid, it was an excellent value for some great quality products and some cool tecnhology to match.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2012 12:04:00 PM More reviews by biddypunk

The products contained in this set are wonderful, but the packaging really interferes with its usability. As of late February 2012 the item is on sale for $29 plus shipping in the US, which is a phenomenal value for a full size liquid liner, travel size mascara and primer, plus 16 really gorgeous high quality shadows. And to solve the functionality issue I've posted a modification video which can be found on youtube(dot)com /watch?v=feJZSjno0OI

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 9:21:00 PM More reviews by goldenloverno1

I love this palette! Yes the packaging is bulky, but it is very pretty. The shadows are very pigmented and most have a very creamy feel. A few of the shadows do have the typical UD chunky glitter, but my little trick to use too faced glitter glue as my primer and then I have no problem whatsoever. The technology is kind of useless but for only $44. the 16 wonderful shadows and great eyeliner make this palette a great value. Also, there is a great mix of brights and neutrals leaving me with great choices for both day and nighttime wear.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 9:21:00 PM More reviews by Prncs06

Love the color selection of this palette, but worst packaging ever. Very bulky even while completely closed, and yet the drawer containing the shadows extends past that if you want to access them. Tons of wasted space, so I'm often awkwardly clearing counter space and knocking things over. Not cool.

For the colors, I'm impressed with the versatility of this palette. I also bought the 15th anniversary palette, and although I love its colors, I really struggle to find uses for all the bright and dark colors. The BOS IV contains 7 lighter, neutral colors (midnight cowgirl, sin, bust, missionary, skimp, zephyr, crystal) each very different and beautiful; 8 deeper colors (blue bus, gunmetal, cobra, bender, gravity, lost, hijack, midnight rodeo), and one beautiful gold (baked). I find that most of the lighter colors complement any of the darker colors, which is really a rare feat. Unlike some other palettes I own, I feel like this collection is cohesive and makes sense. It's nice, because I don't have to reach for multiple products and palettes while getting ready.

I especially love gravity (deep purple with silver shimmer) and hijack (deep teal, silvery glitter). The speaker is cute, but pretty useless, and I definitely wouldn't have paid money for it alone. The perversion liner is a deep black, and nice if you use liquid liner.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by AhyKayGee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The Book of Shadows 4 is a very good value. It comes with a full size liner in perversion, which i really wanted but didn't want to shell out the $18 the formula lasts up to two days on my upper lid if i'm lazy and don't take it off haha. It also comes with a mini Supercurl Curling Mascara a $10 value and a very nice product. It makes my eyelashes look a lot longer then they really are, even without a lash curler. A mini primer potion is also included, Urban Decay by far has my favorite primer potion with it my shadows stay all day. The speaker and cord are nice but not that useful for makeup, the tutorials on the cards are nice but i don't see myself watching them often. The packaging is very pretty with the white shiny butterflies and colorful design. I do however like the pocket for your phone by the mirror. I have a flashlight app that i turn on and place my phone in the pocket because i have not so great lighting where i do my makeup. Like most Urban Decay shadows they are all pretty silky and smooth. The colors aren't extremely unique but they are very long lasting and pretty colors. Blue Bus is the only color that isn't extremely pigmented, but pan color can be achieved with 2-4 swipes. I personally do not have fallout or glitter problems with the midnight shades, or the other colors for that matter.