MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

3.7

(Original formulation - September 2011): ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octinoxate 3.40%, Titanium Dioxide 1.00% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylene Glycol, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Algae Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Dipropylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Laureth-7, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Peg-10 Crosspolymer, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone Silylate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, [ /- Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288)]

I love this foundation. I have oily skin and acne. I thought I needed foundations with more coverage, but it turned out I didn't need them at all. This foundation feels very light on the skin. If I run out I would buy this again, but I like to try other foundations as well.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I originally wanted to purchase MAC's Pro Longwear foundation but they didn't have a shade light enough for me. Instead, I decided to go with Matchmaster because they did have my shade. It is described on the MAC website as having a "demi-matte" finish, but I disagree. (Btw, I use a beautyblender to apply my foundation).
To make this review easier to read, I'll write my concerns in bullet point format:
- I have oily skin (being a teenager) and within a couple hours of application (I use setting powder and a light layer of spray as well) I would be oily.
- Even though I used Benefit's Porefessional over my worst pores, this foundation seemed to find a way to make them look gross and odd. Like, foundation was missing from very small areas around my pores- it didn't seem to stay on. The foundation has settled into my pores but worn off around them.
- Without a primer, it probably wouldn't.
- By the end of the day it just look gross. It had worn away on my oiliest patches, and was beyond shiny. Touch ups didn't matter. I might as well have not even bothered.

I have yet to find a foundation that I love. This is not a very good foundation for someone with oily skin. Dry, maybe. Normal, maybe. But not oily.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I really like this foundation. I've been using it for about a month and no break outs. Thats a big plus. It lasts all day and the coverage is moderate. Build-able. I really like it. Will purchase again.

I frequently try new foundations (always in hopes to find that Holy grail game changer) and Id have to say out of all the ones I've tried: nars, Laura mercier, dior , smashbox, too faced, UD, etc Mac always has me coming back. And it's one of the few Id repurchase for the co$t. match master is def one of my faves !!!has great coverage yet natural. Nice balance of keeping a fresh dewy finish w/out looking too shiny. all in all, def on my top 3 favs!

This is my new favorite foundation. I love the way it makes my skin look without having to use much of it. It is kind of pricey but you get what you pay for and I don't mind it. It does a great job. Only cons I can think of is if you aren't yellow toned it won't work well with you, also sometimes it tends to stick to dry patches.

I've been looking for a light-weight foundation to replace my Smashbox BB cream. I wanted something that provided decent coverage while looking natural (i.e. not like a painted face/mask), did not oxidise or cause breakouts and did not settle in to pores/fine lines. I got burnt by Lancome Teinte Miracle - while it looked beautiful on my skin, it contains high levels of alcohol in its ingredients which is very damaging/drying to skin. My skin is already on the dry side so I made sure I did a lot of research before forking out over $50 for a product again.

So far, MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 foundation has not disappointed. The colour (1) is a great match for my pale skin, though I might try 1.5 shade next time. It goes on smoothly (I use a foundation brush) and one pump is enough for my face. It provides medium, even coverage but this is buildable - I do find I need to dab a little bit more product on to any blemishes to cover them up. No breakouts so far and no oxidation after wearing for over 8 hours. I will update if anything changes with continued use.

My main gripe with MAC has always been their prices but the bottle is quite large so I suspect it will last a long time, even with daily wear. Overall, I highly rate this product!

Pros:
- excellent range of shades from very fair to dark (01 is a great match for me)
- easy to apply and blend in to skin
- natural looking matte finish
- light-weight formula with medium coverage
- does not settle in to pores or fine lines
- alcohol-free formula
- no oxidisation

Cons:
- pricey as far as foundations go ($59 AUS per bottle)

EDIT - have been using this product for a few weeks now. Still loving it. Love love love!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is an HG product for me!!! I have to say that I am quite surprised!! I have a few MAC foundations, while they have been fine, there always seems to be something wrong. I enjoy MAC F&B a lot, but sometimes I want a more polished coverage. And Studio Fix Fluid is just too heavy...I like the finish and lasting power, however. Matchmaster is just perfect for me. Great staying power, medium coverage, and a neutral tone all make this an excellent foundation!! I highly recommend!!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I find it so difficult to find a foundation that matches my skin colour perfectly and naturally without looking too done up. I have been looking for one to wear on a daily basis with enough coverage to cover some acne scars. In the London Selfridge's MAC store the artist tried studio sculpt on one side and match master in No. 5 on the other and I felt the studio sculpt made me look too shiny and oily for every day wear but the match master seemed to blend in perfectly with my skin tone so I bought it. Originally another artist matched me to Match master no.6 that made me look way to orange so I was unsure about trying no.5, although it comes on looking a little lighter after its blended it matches perfectly.

After a few uses though I have found this foundation to be quite dry and emphasises the dry patches on my skin more and the lines under my eyes. Some of which I didn't even know I had til I tried this on! This is quite frustrating, although after an hour or so things do seem to change when maybe my skin gets a little oilier over the day. My skin is a combination of dry and oily areas. Even after moisturising well and using a primer I still find it emphasises dry areas on the side of my nose too much.

I generally use a beauty blender for my foundation but this foundation is quite tricky I found without a foundation brush. It needs to be quickly blended before it dries and topping up is difficult because of the colour changes I'm the foundation, I felt that if I topped up a bit later it made me look patchy. It may be that I am a shade between No.5 and 6 or that I just have the wrong skin type. Oily skins may benefit more from this foundation and its such a shame because I was sure this was the one! The colour is awesome.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Tried this a few times and I don't really like it honestly.
It's a less pigmented version on studio fix fluid.
I can easily sheer studio fix fluid if I wanted so I don't see much of a point of this.
Studio fix fluid is $27 and this was $35
If I sheer out the studio fix it'll end up lasting longer and cheaper in the long run as well.
As for the whole "matchmaster" aspect.
Not a fan, I don't know why I bothered with it. I started using M•A•C BECAUSE of the fact they have shades that are good for yellow toned skin.
I was sick of drugstores and the light, medium, dark shades.
I'm yellow/olive tone that's a light/medium shade.
I'm usually NC25/NC30.
When I wore this it was just too peach. A very common issue I had with drugstore makeup.
My neck and the rest of my body was more yellow/slightly green.
So if you're in that range of tone, skip this foundation. Better off with studio fix fluid honestly.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I'm usually not a massive fan of MAC foundations - just their lipsticks. However, I decided to check them out and was stuck for choice for both the Pro Longwear and Matchmaster. Seeing as I'm not looking for a full coverage - just something long lasting, I decided not to go with Studio Fix.

I ended up getting Matchmaster - i'm an NC35 in Pro Longwear and the shade 3.0 was the perfect match for me.
What can I say! this is one of the rare foundations that did NOT oxidise on me - it adapted to my skin tone beautifully and did slightly turn darker only because I didn't touch up throughout the whole day.
I used the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge to apply underneath my Rimmel Stay Matte Primer - and it was the perfect combo!

Pair this with the Mac Prep and Prime Translucent Powder and you have the perfect foundation for oily skin.

The finish is demi-matte - not full matte and it does let off a slight glow (but not a bad glow). it's a light to medium coverage - I would say its more medium coverage and it sits on the face beautifully.

thank god it comes with a pump! theres more in the bottle - I personally think it is worth the price for an oily skinned girl like me!! would definitely repurchase again.

(If you have oily skin with some dry patches, I would recommend using a moisturiser that's oil free and it will not look cakey or cling to dry patches).

this beats my Estee Lauder Double Wear anyday!! (For reference, i'm 4N1 - Shell Beige)