October 25, 2014 | 1853 users online

Liquid - MAC - Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 9:17:00 AM More reviews by ningurl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

abfabjeanius said it exactly to the point of all of my concerns. Normal to dry for me though, found it made my skin look really dry, caught in some flakey areas of the face, wasn't too sure of the colour match (I got 1.5 and I'm NW20). The weight of the formula felt nice, as it wasn't heavy or sticky, and I liked the pump. I don't think this broke me out (I only used it 3 times) as the F&B line did. Will not repurchase. Oh, I bought it for wedding photography and didn't like the results in trial photos either. I mentioned this to the girl at the counter that I wanted a foundation specifically for wedding photography. Why she gave me this with the spf is beyond me. Stupid me didn't realized the spf until I got home.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I wanted to love this foundation, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
About my skin: I have combination skin, with a very oily t-zone. My main reasons for wearing foundation are to cover up some old acne scars, even out my skintone/cover or mitigate my hyperpigmentation and cover the large pores on/around my nose. Tone-wise, I am between NC20 and NW20 - depending upon the formula, I can kind of go either way, as my skin leans more neutral rather than warm or cool.

PROS of Matchmaster are that it didn't break me out (which, for MAC foundations, is always a concern of mine); seemed to hold my oilies at bay for at least 6 hours; medium coverage; easy to use pump container; broad spectrum sunscreen (not that I rely on foundation for sun protection, but it is an added bonus.)

CONS of Matchmaster are that I wasn't happy with the color match and the finish. While I fully appreciate MAC's new numbering system and color technology, I really felt like that the "technology" didn't quite work for me. The #1 was way too pale and ashy, #1.5 which I bought veers on the peachy side, and #2 was way too dark/orange. I feel like if they were going to introduce this sort of color range, they could have done it more effectively. Secondly, it just looks like makeup on the face. I guess compared to MAC Studio Fix, ProLongwear, StudioTech, etc - this is much more natural/skin looking - but I'm accustomed to "second-skin" finishes like Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, Armani Luminous Silk, Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick, and YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat. Granted, these aforementioned foundations are in a different pricepoint than MAC, but I digress...

Some other notes: I have applied this with and without primer; using fingers, brush, and Beautyblender; with and without powder, and none of them quite give me the right look that I'm after. Also, the smell of this foundation is eerily similar to La Mer's liquid foundation (not sure if it's because it also contains seaweed extract and is owned by Estee Lauder?)

Anyway, overall, I will probably keep this in my roundup of daily foundations, but will not be purchasing again. continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by cocoadolly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. Keeps me matte for a relatively long time. The finish is perfection. I don't know if this is my absolute favorite foundation but it definitely is top 3. NOT good for flash photography because the SPF will give you the ghost effect, so I wouldn't recommend this for going out, special events, or weddings. For every day though, I'm obsessed with this

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by spyderweb

Best liquid foundation by MAC
I use 1.5 > a neutral shade, it matches my skin tone perfectly,
and it's not greasy, doesn't make my shin shine, i will definitely repurchase

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Asliba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin is oily, quite oily, and this foundation after wearing 1-2 hours generates dry areas on my face, just as if i had chemical peeling. especially on my chin and forehead, my oiliest areas. Very weird, and the foundation definitely does not last long. The slippery feeling on my face is not good either. I dont give credit to whether it is adaplable to skin color or not, since i have other concerns first.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Daficaricuchi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Promises:
- Perfect match to your skintone because of this "Shade Intelligence Tecnology".
- Demi-matte finish, with medium and buildable coverage
- Absorbs face oil, reduces shine
- Conditions your skin

Description:
The foundation comes in a glass bottle with a pump (yeeii!!) which is really helpful for you can control the quantity of product you want to work with, the pump can get locked, yet it's not absolutely safe and it comes with 35 mL. The consistency is quite heavy at the begginng but it's very easy to work with, using a sponge, I personally apply always with my Beauty Blender. The smell is painty-like, but not as bad as Revlon Colorstay.
It matches my skintone AMAZINGLY! when the make up artist at MAC picked up color 5 I truly believed it would be too dark for me, until he applied it, and it looked amazing. So I think this "Shade intelligence technology" works.
The finish is definitely matte (not demi-matte as ir claims) and it's buildable, the coverage is medium but it's very good, with a very thing second layer you can get the flawless look.
Now, about the oil business. Truth is, I don't have oily skin, but most foundations just don't last on my skin more tan a few hours until they start getting shiny on my T zone,and by the afternoon, it's completely gone. I can tell this one lasts more tan other foundations, for it lasts longer and remains matte longer as well, it may need some touch-ups during the day and it definitely needs to be sealed with powder. I'm using a traslucid powder from MAC and I'm not wearing any primer before applying it. That might make a difference on the already good lasting power of this foundation.
Finally, I don't feel like it conditions my skin, but it doesn't dry it out either. I didn't break out, I mean my skin isn't acne prone, but sometimes products make me break a bit, this one didn't.
I would definitely buy again :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Sudania

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation is great, doesnt oxidate or break me out. Love the packaging, I dont know why people complain about lass bottles. Its in a glass bottle because you get what you pay for. Just like Nars and other high end foundations/perfumes. No plastic here!!! the people who complain about packaging are the ones who throw their foundations all over the place. Foundation and perfume bottles are not meant to be abused! if you cant handle having a glass bottle..whether its MAC foundation or Chanel parfum...go buy from the dollar store and stop complaining.
The product is runny but not too runny that it's watery. I love how this has a pump!
Its great for people with oily skin! buildable coverage.
@Lms526you shouldnt let people tell you what foundation to wear. Tell your family its none of theri concern. I know in the western world its popular to be bronzey and dark...but if thats not your preference than dont let people pressure you. Dont get nutella shaded foundations just because to fit in with mainstream. if you like your foundation a certain way..go for it.
Dita voon teese prefers to look porcelain pale and wears light foundation to compliment her light skin...so dont feel pressure to be something youre not.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Asti1234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this foundation. I initially got a weeks worth sample from Mac to try it out and loved it so much that I bought a bottle of it this week. First things first, the shade match is perfect for me, I'm warm toned, approx NC30 and I was matched with number 3.0. When I put it on the back of my hand it almost looks too peach but once its on my face the colour adapting particles that Mac claims this foundation has somehow works really well with my skintone. I love the coverage, I apply one thin layer using my hands then stipple on some more where I need extra coverage. It doesn't look cakey or dry. I do make sure that I moisturise really well first as I have normal/dry skin, I have been using Mac strobe cream and this combination gives my skin a gorgeous glow. Not too matte, but not too shiny either, like Mac face & body can be sometimes. The best thing about this foundation is it lasts. I'd say its as long lasting as Mac Pro Longwear. but not as dry looking. I love the pump applicator, I use around three pumps for my whole face and neck. Overall I would highly recommend this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by jotunologie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

My skin is pretty temperamental; it's mainly dry, but I'm prone to hormonal breakouts and slight oiliness in certain areas also due to hormones. I've been using Matchmaster in shade 1.0 for a year and a half now (currently on my second bottle), and I love it. I find the coverage is perfect for my skin, and it doesn't cling to dry patches as long as I moisturise and use a primer (which is the same for every foundation I've tried). Sometimes I lightly powder my t-zone if I'm having an oily day, but most of the time I can completely forgo powder and get a full day of wear! I might repurchase this product for a third time when I run out, but as it was my first MAC foundation, I'm curious to try the other ones (specifically Studio Fix Fluid).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by raychilll

Obsessed! This is the first MAC foundation that I've EVER bought! I usually stray away from MAC foundations because I heard that they tend to be heavy (MAC is stage makeup afterall..) This is TOTALLY not the case! Light and airy yet still looks medium to full coverage. Not to mention that it perfectly matches my hard to match skintone (I'm 1.5 in this for reference) I'd reccomend to anyone who has normal-dry skin and is looking for a flawless foundation!