November 1, 2014 | 733 users online

Hair - Shea Moisture - Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

rated 2 of 5 on 9/13/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Bela330

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have transitioning 3c curly hair, I've been using the curly girl method to deal with it. I bought this product hoping that it would effectively leave my hair moisturized, shiny, and soft! however, It left my hair stiff and greasy! I have really thin curly hair, and ALOOOT of it, so i hoped it would help define my curls but my curls just ended up straaange... the product actually tightened my curls! the reason i tried it in the first place was because of the yummy smell and the consistency, but don't let it fool ya! I've tried it a few times too, varying in quantity and distribution to see if my results would improve but I'm still pretty unhappy with it ): I do recommend their raw shea butter line (amazing shampoo!)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

What is there to say about Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie? Hmm...
While I do really like this product, I'm not sure that this is the best formulation for my thick but fine textured 3b/3c hair type. I have the feeling that something lighter might work a little bit better for me.
I do think that the Curl Enhancing Smoothie is good at defining in that the added moisture and slight hold it provides helps keep curls together so that they don't dry up, disperse, then frizz out quite as bad as they might if left to their own devices. The hold that this offers is exceptionally soft and not enough for me to forgo using gel over it if I'm letting my hair dry in it's natural state. However, it's got just enough hold for when I allow my hair to dry in big braids for softer waves. That said, to me, this is more of a moisturizer than a styler. The one time I attempted to use it as a styler, I had to use a lot of product and the result left my hair looking like stringy spaghetti noodles.Yuck. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend this to someone with thinner hair. It seems like it'd be way too heavy.
As far as moisturization is concerned, I think that Curl Enhancing Smoothie does a pretty good job helping me retain moisture in conjunction with other products though I can't say that this is ultra moisturizing on it's own. This functions on my hair as sort of a "sealer" over my leave-in to keep my hair softer and moisturized longer. I definitely don't think that this product would work very well on my hair without a leave-in conditioner underneath it. It's just not moisturizing enough by it's self. Like others have mentioned, this certainly seems to work much better when it's applied to wet hair also. Otherwise, it can leave kind of a sticky film.
When I initially bought the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Shea Moisture products were only available 'on the ground' at Walgreen's and Target. Thankfully the demand for products geared towards curly hair has has since brought Shea Moisture and other brands to more mass retailers for curly-haired product junkies everywhere! Yay! I really love that this is now relatively easy to get a hold of AND the price is more reasonable when you consider the price point of other similar brands.
Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a pretty good product, but I don't think it's the best for my hair type. Instead, I think I'd love to try their out Curl & Style Milk next!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by carolina93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Pros:
-Great Definition
-Large Container
-Gets rid of Frizz when used with Shea Moisture Milk
-Pleasant smell
-Great for styling

Cons:
-Shrinks Hair
-Not as effective when used without the Shea Moisture Milk
-Takes a long time to dry

Mixture of 3c/4a hair

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by boobiedoobiedoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff doesn't do it for me as a styler, but it is an amazing moisturizer for my 3C curls. I love that it's all natural, so it's great for anyone who uses the curly girl method. I would recommend this to anyone with thicker hair and looking for a great moisturizer or if you have thinner hair and you need a styling product that doesn't leave your hair crunchy. I think I can safely say that this is my new holy grail moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by LaTonyaCrudup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is always a repurchase for me! I'm a newly natural girl, with small, tight curls. And one day, I was in my neighborhood Sally's, I came across this product, decided to try it, and loved it! Smell isn't overpowering, unless you use a lot of it. Makes my hair easy to comb through. I find it works best for me when I put it on wet/damp hair. Product stays all day, the smell doesn't irritate my scalp. I love it, and I can't wait to try more products from Shea Moisture :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I recently got a haircut that is a tragedy. As such, I've been trying different hair products to try and turn it into something manageable. A co-worker began using this a while back and the results have been amazing on her hair so I figured I'd I've it a try as well. This doesn't really do much to enhance my curl, which is fine with me, and it certainly smells lovely. As far as hair products go, I found it very average on my hair. It weighed it down a little but not significantly, it moisturized but not quite enough, it softened but - again - not enough for my tastes. My co-worker will now have two jars :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Teonia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to say, it took me a while to figure out how to use this product on my hair....in the end I found that I works best as a leave-in AND a styler...for me anyways. I used to use it under a gel but now I use a moisturizer and then put it on top. It also took a while to find how much to put in my hair. Now I know it works if I use about a quarter size on each of 4 sections. Now I'm in love with this product! If I could just be a few dollars cheaper, I'd be perfect! (:

rated 2 of 5 on 6/12/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Jlab25

I have a love/HATE relationship with this product. I'm a natural, kinky curly natural to be exact and with most naturals its a struggle to find a good product that adds moisture to the hair while maintaining the true essence of your curls. I gave this product a try and I loved the definition this product gave my twist outs. The product also added moisture to my hair and that's about it. I HATE this product because of the residue, it leaves your hair feeling waxy and worst of all you can see the product on your hair, one can easily assume it is dandruff because that's what it looks like. With this product, after a couple of days my hair feels soggy and icky, this is I repeat...this is not a buildable product. Even after one application I always get a heavy product look. Eventually, I started using this product as a prepoo treatment prior to shampooing my hair. I really tried to like this product...I have purchased it twice but never again. On my mission to get moisture, bouncy, clean curls, I am now using cantu shea butter which is doing me wonders...adds moisture without all the gunk! Ladies take it from me...save your money and look else where, cause this ain't it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ETA: this product is now my least loved Shea Moisture product. Although it does define my curls, I have discovered that it leaves my hair extremely dry, which is a deal breaker for me. I continue to love the other products, however.
I love the Shea Moisture line and have only come to know this particular product recently. I've previously been a Shea Moisture skincare product junkie. I have naturally curly type III/IV hair and my biggest complaints are dryness and frizz. I cannot believe how great this product makes my hair look! I have noticed that the products in this entire line have become harder to find lately, and I fear that maybe the company is going out of business. I have visited the company's website and it is stagnant and has been for a while. I sent them an email asking if they were going out of business and never received a response from them. :( I'm really hoping that they stick around, they've got some of the best hair and skincare products I've ever tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This whole product line gets a ton of love from me and this is the first product I tried that started it all! I decided to purchase this after I ran out of my L'oreal out of bed and wanted to try something that had richer ingredients. I was looking for a curl defining/texturing cream that would be nourishing & moisturizing to the hair as well as define my waves. I saw this at CVS and decided to give it a try. It was also a good value- you get a huge 12 ounces of very thick cream for $10 as opposed to 4 ounces for the out of bed that runs about $4-$6. It smells absolutely wonderful too! A warm and natural fruity-floral smell. I used it on my dry hair and soon as I got home and it immediately made my waves more defined and less frizzy. I now use it as part of my cocktail of products that I use on wet hair. Plus as a refresher/enhancer on my hair after it has dried. On wet hair, (after my leave-in and some mousse or gel) I apply this from ear level down (I keep it away from my crown and bangs because I prefer to have that area lay smoother) and scrunch and scrunch until my waves are very defined. Hair air dries with soft, smooth, and defined waves. In the morning, I scrunch in a little more into my dried waves to redefine them (plus add a most wonderful scent). Love this stuff and highly recommend it!