December 21, 2014 | 1502 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Illusion d'Ombre

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2012 2:05:00 PM More reviews by kragey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love most of these and would buy several again, but I took a lippy off because they have some drawbacks and because some of the shades are, in my experience, just plain ugly.

To start with the basics: yes, these are expensive, but a few of the colors are really worth it, and they apply and wear beautifully. All of these have a neat sort of "bouncy mousse" texture; it actually kinda reminds me of the Maybelline Bouncy blushes, but a bit more "wet." They're all shimmery and most are very multidimensional. You can apply a thin layer as a base or a subtle wash, or apply a thicker layer and get a more dramatic color that looks like 3 or 4 eyeshadows layered. I prefer to use an eye primer at all times, but I've worn Epatant and Emerville without one and only experienced minor creasing after about 5 or 6 hours.

Now for the main drawbacks: the packaging is pretty, but a little oversized and clunky. Worse still, these ARE all shimmery and WILL give you glitter fallout. I mean, the shimmer is generally what makes them look so neat, and I love them even though I'm normally a shimmer-phobe, but I always have to do my foundation second or hold a tissue under my eye while I apply, and at $42-ish each after taxes, that's a little ridiculous.

As far as the colors go, I found Ebloui downright blah and ugly. Maybe it's because I'm so fair and I have to be careful around brown shades, but it didn't feel as smooth, look as pigmented, or pop the way the other shades do. Mirifique is a super-sparkly black, so it's quite pretty when used lightly in the crease/outer v or as a liner, but it's not unique and will give you TONS of fallout. The same sort of story goes with Emerville: it's a beautiful peachy gold that will appeal to and flatter most people, but it's not unique, so you're probably better off spending half as much on something like Benefit RSVP. Epatant, a silver-khaki, and Illusoire, a silver-purple, are indescribably beautiful and utterly unique. I recommend them to everyone, especially Epatant; I can spot it on a Chanel SA from a mile away, I love it so much. :P I've also tested out Fantasme, which basically comes out as a large amount of microfine rainbow shimmer in a clear base, and while I would never buy a full pot of it, it's certainly pretty for different tastes. My drag daughter lusts for it, and a Chanel SA put it on her ear lobes in place of earrings, which I thought was very pretty.

Overall, I would not recommend Ebloui. I would recommend Emmerville, Mirifique, and Fantasme only if they suited your particular tastes, or if you really just wanted those sorts of shades in this particular form. Epatant and Illusoire are absolute must-haves, and I will buy them for as long as they are available!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2012 9:17:00 AM More reviews by hunnybunnyipm

I'm only saying I'd buy it again because I love the color so much (I have the purple-ish one).

I expected some great staying power from it, but not so much. I have fallen in love with the Too Faced eyeshadow primer, and have been testing all my eyeshadow's out with it. This one falls short of some drug store brands as far as staying power and lack of creasing go.

But damn I love the color and the look when it first goes on!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by dottypalm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great pallette so many different looks with this one. I had never tried a Chanel eye shadow before, I am truly glad I did this one will last forever with so many different shades, great staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by lunohodik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My biggest joy and my biggest disappointment! Its a great eye shadow I got to admit, loved it, texture, colours, blenability, everything was great. However it dried out, just over 5 months! I keep all my cream products in an airtight container, all the paint pots are fine, when Illusion d'ombres which I have two - Illusoire 83 and emerveille 82. both of them dried out more then 50%!!! horrible, really disappointed, will never buy again, and I feel sad because I loved them so much!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 7:58:00 AM More reviews by Remarkable

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have the Chanel Illusion d'Ombre cream eyeshadow in 2 shades, in no 83 Illusoire and in no 84 Epatant. Illusoire is a purplish-lilacy color and Epatant is a greenish-greyish, all colors are sheer and luminous. I will probably buy no 82 Emerveillé as well which is a natural golden-peachy shade.

These eyeshadows come in a little glass jar with black top and the Chanel logo on them and a little angled cream eyeshadow brush is provided in every product. I do recommend everyone to apply this eyeshadow with fingertips on the entire eyelid and and only then use the brush for more definition on the socket line. The texture of this eyeshadow is something between a cream and a mousse, it is so easy to blend and you have a relatively long playtime for applying it because it does not dry very fast. Using one single of these eyeshadows can make you look like wearing more colors at the same time. If you are not very very great at applying eyeshadow, I think you should go for this eyeshadow or for any other cream eyeshadows for that matter.

This makeup will last all day, I have worn it for over 12 hours.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in several colors but this review is for Fantasme as it isnt listed separately here on MUA. At first I was hesitant about purchasing this as many said it was very sheer and not worth the price but honestly I find myself reaching for it more than the others because it is a sparkly shimmery white that you can use for almost any eye look on the inner part of your eye- I use it almost daily and then just use any other color in the outer V of my eye!
Love it. I have extremely oily skin and most eyeshadows crease on me even with a primer but this doesnt. I apply primer, wait a few seconds, and then take some of this out of the pot with the included brush onto my finger and apply it with my finger. I get the best coverage that way and can see where it goes better and I like to feel the mousse-y texture of it. The only reason I would take lippies off is if this dries out too quickly, but I havent had it long enough to tell that yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Patc342

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It took a while to figure out how to best use this product. I have 81 Fantasme. I wanted something subtle for day but that added a little sparkle behind my glasses. I also wanted it because of the Spring Summer 2012 show. The models looked amazing. Anyway when I first used it, it slide down my face through out the day leaving sparkles under my eye. I was applying it on top of my concealer but I found out stays on if I set the concealer with powder before applying the eyeshadow. I use the brush that comes with it to dab it across my lide but I use my finger to blend it out. If I was going for a more dramatic look I'd use a brush. I love the weight of the glass. I've dropped it about 5 times though. It's a perfect circle and can slippery if your hands aren't totally dry.
I want Mirifique also but alas the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2012 11:40:00 PM More reviews by cbhanna21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this shadow. It comes with a brush that applies the shadow on really nicely. Under the light, it looks sooo sparkly, makes me want to examine my eyes all the time in the mirror lol. The salesperson told me there's no need for a primer because the shadow is a primer itself but I still use my urban decay primer with this, and it lasts SO long. from 8AM in the morning to 11PM at night, it's like as if my day of running around didn't really happen. This really is a great product to invest in. On one day when I wore just this eyeshadow with my usual eyeliner and mascara, I received about 4 compliments.

I am Asian with olive/golden skin tone and dark brown eyes. I did my friend's make up who is Caucasion with much lighter skin and she still looked so good in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 12:38:00 AM More reviews by auburngreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have this in #83 Illusiore, a beautiful eggplant color that brings out my green eyes. I do love the formula- it's velvety and surprisingly applies best with my finger because it warms it up. I actually haven't used the brush, but it's probably perfect to use it as a liner. To be quite honest, I don't wear this often because I fear it's too dramatic as a daytime look for me. I do love to wear it on date night with Orgasm blush and nude lips and tons of mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by 3buzyboyz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchase this in Ebloui, and I really wanted to love this product. After experimenting with it and wearing it a several times I have to say unfortunately it just doesn't live up to it's hype. On it's own, there is nothing long-wearing about it. If I wear this without an eyeshadow base the color will fade and crease in a matter of only a couple hours. Love the color and concept, but for $38, I expected a Chanel product (especially only specifically labeled long wearing) to perform better.