August 1, 2014 | 1291 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2013 9:19:00 AM More reviews by forestpitchlove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This foundation is pretty good. The main attraction for me was the colour match, 02 for pale skin is pretty much perfect, I have spent a lot of money trying different ones over time in their palest shade and they never fitted quite right.
Then there is the coverage issue, having combination skin, they are either too dewy or too matt.
This is just about right not too heavy, medium yet covers most imperfections.
That is all well and good once you work out how to apply it properly; I've tried different primers and moisturizers; all not ideal as it would either end up too oily or too dry. Also tried the buffing in instead of using hands, I have no idea how some people are able to put this straight on and not end up with a load of dried up areas..
I eventually nearly gave up but then had the idea of blending it with aloe vera, and now that works perfectly for me and lasts all day. My skin actually looks perfect that way.

Overall it's a really great product but Illasmasqua should really try and make their foundations easier to apply!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2013 2:29:00 PM More reviews by Rox1808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This didn't work for me, although the coverage is excellent. Having acne-prone skin, it covered all the scars, but it doesn't have lasting power, after an hour my face looked shiny & the foundation just felt like it was slipping off, not a good look if you are on a night out. I also bought the the powder foundation just so it would stay on longer but that was a no-go. The stickers on the bottle come off quickly, so if you wanted to buy again unless you know the shade you would really struggle to get the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by AnEnglishRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation is absolutely amazing. You need very little of it to last all day (think a pea size amount), and the finish is a beautiful semi-matte with a dewy finish in just the right places. The packaging is maybe a little cheap (I prefer glass bottles for higher-end priced foundations), but the plastic squeeze tube is light, portable, and very good for travel; plus, I feel like the highly pigmented foundation is a good trade-off for a cheaper packaging. Also a plus? The foundation is light enough for my pale skin! That is so hard to find in America. I'm 02, for reference - a step up from pure white.

I would say the finish is comparable to Giorgio Armani's Luminous Silk Foundation - but there are differences. Illamasqua's color choices are a little different (the 02 in Illamasqua has a -very- pink undertone; Armani's has a more yellow undertone in 03), Illamasqua's lasts longer and is less oily overall, and the consistency is much thicker than Armani's, providing more coverage.

I've read a number of reviews saying that the foundation looks cakey or does not apply well. I've been lucky not to have those results with this, but I think that's only because I did so much review reading before I even bought the product! This is what works for me and what I've read works for many others:

I apply some light lotion to my face with my foundation buffing brush. Then Neutrogena SPF 100 sunblock (it's a very oily, thick lotion for reference). Then Makeup Forever's HD Primer in Pink with the same buffing brush. Then I put a pea size amount of foundation on the back of my hand, and dab a little to my cheek before buffing it in with the same buffing brush. I do this with it for each section of my face, one at a time. Using the same brush for the lotion, primer, and foundation helps the foundation apply better and last longer without streaking. When I finish this, I take a clean stippling brush and just buff that over the foundation. I find it helps it set better. When I'm done with the rest of my makeup, the foundation sets, and it looks like skin, but better :)

Overall, great foundation. Great coverage. Natural finish. Long wearing. A little goes a long way. Great value. Perfect for very pale types.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by etternax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation. Colour 09 is a bit darker than NC30 in MAC. I still did not get my shade as cannot find samples. I am NC25-27 in MAC so hope you could give me advice about the colour. The finish is like skin, does not show that you have anything on while it covers well and hides imperfections. Quite buildable. Light smell, dewy finish, not at all oily. Great for all skin types (I am combination).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I hate this foundation more than words can describe. I bought it in the shade white to add to my other foundations since they are too dark as I have very, very fair skin. This foundation cut the wear time of my other foundations in half when mixed in with them and then lo and behold, oxidized the foundations. This is one of the only foundations I have ever had oxidize on me and given that its a white foundation that kind of defeated its purpose big time. I'm kicking myself for tossing my receipt since I figured what could go wrong with a white foundation but apparently everything could. Worst foundation I have ever used. If any of you have skin that is too light for the lightest shade of most brands...help a girl out please.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by sharonsevea

Love that illamasqua does so many shades of their foundations. I am using the shade SB 08 and its perfect on my skin. During summer months it gives my skin a glow but not an oily sort of glow but a healthy glow but at the same time keep it reasonably matte if you know what I mean. It is a tiny bit difficult to blend so you have to be quick but that doesnt cause me any problems. When used with the illamasqua matt primer its perfect.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Though I could go on why I don't like the foundation, you can't beat the color section! I just can't find a good match to my skin, and in SB I found a good (not perfect) match - the best I could find among other brands. Most of them are either orange/peach, the lightest is too dark or it oxidizes into an orange or beige color. I was convinced I need the matte primer so I bought it (I have oily skin). What I don't like it is that the waring power isn't too powerful.
If you touch your face after few hours, you completely remove the foundation (i tried to blend a small part on my forehead with my finger and ended with removed foundation from the touched place, which is a novelty for me :P), it shines pretty fast (matte primer + pressed powder in 010, both by Illa).
It photographs nicely. And, though it is supposed to have a semi dewy finish, I find (with or without the primer) that it has an almost matte, dry finish. It covers the redness and imperfections pretty good, but for the under eye area I suggest to use a concealer.

During the winter time (atm -2 Celsius degrees) it performs really poor. After two hours I am left with a patchy face. The foundation breaks and melts, and you are left with an uneven foundation. I feel ashamed when I come home and see that the foundation didn't survive a couple of hours of wear time, but gave me a bad face. I don't have a habit of blotting my face or reapplying my foundation during the day. I haven't tried with a primer, and underneath I used an oil free moisturizer by Yves Rocher (anti imperfections).

I WOULDN'T buy it again. It's a good foundation for fall and spring. For winter, the cold, going in and out from warm places into the cold ones combined with my oily skin break the foundation, and summer, well heat has the same effect on this foundation :).

The color range makes this foundation a winner, not it's performance and characteristics - keep that in mind :)! It's a shame it contains oil. I find the package OK, but it would be better if it had a screw-open top and a pump - I'm not sure how I'll use it when the tube gets almost empty because the bottom of the tube isn't squeezable and you can't cut the packaging easily!

SUM:
- big color range!!
- semi matte to matte finish
- medium, buildable coverage
- wear time poor
- not for extreme weather (too cold, too warm, sports)
- easily transferable (touch your nose, or cheek, and off goes the foundation)
- would not recommend nor buy it again (there are better out there)
- haven't found a primer that combats the cons
- oily/combo skin starts to shine after 1.5 hrs

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by mariavittoria1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE my Skin Base! After trying it out for myself I decided to add it to my pro kit and now it's one of my favourite foundations to use on clients.
First of all, the color range is outstanding. They have really researched skintone variations in depth, because the colors really make a lot of sense. I own n.6 for myself, which is a beautiful shade for light Caucasian skin, a perfect balance of pink and yellow undertones with a certain warmth to it. You know how some base products (BB creams in particular) claim to be "neutral" toned, and upon close inspection they indeed don't have an imbalance in yellow or pink tones but end up looking greyish? The beauty of Skin Base n.6 lies in that touch of peach in it that keeps your complexion looking alive.
I've worked on hundreds of Chinese models and n.3 is a fantastic base for very fair, very yellow toned complexions.
When you squirt out the product, it looks quite thick. Indeed, it's not the most runny texture, but it spreads beautifully anyway and it almost seems to "wrap" the skin and perfect it, rather than sitting on top of it. The coverage is outstanding, starts from medium with one light layer and can be built up to higher coverage on blemishes or hyperpigmentation. It's not quite full coverage as something like Kevyn Aucoin's Sensual Skin Enhancer or Estee Lauder Maximum Cover, but it comes close.
Staying power is good and is easily boosted with a thin layer of their Matt Primer underneath. I also love to mix that primer with the foundation itself when I want a more sheer coverage. On my own skin (oily, sensitive and acne-prone) it gets shiny after about 3-5 hours depending on weather/activity, which is about average for me, so nothing exceptional but not bad either.
It works well on most skin types. The correct skin prep is essential whether you have dry, oily or sensitive skin, which is the reason why some people can't seem to like it enough. If your skin is correctly exfoliated and moisturized, this will look amazing.
The finish is flawless yet natural. If you apply a really sheer layer, it can look undetectable on the skin. Somehow it manages to conceal imperfections without the plasticky, airbrushed look that you can get from some high coverage cream foundation for example. Your pores will be perfected but they will still look like pores.
Love the packaging as well. The bottle is very practical and hygenic, easy to find in my makeup bag (and detect the colour I need) and I think it looks quite unique compared to most other foundations!
Needless to say, it has no SPF and photographs beautifully, which is also why it's one of my top choices when I do makeup for print.
I got mines with a pro discount, but I would definitely pay full price for this anytime.
Highly recommended!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:18:00 AM More reviews by pirateninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I was initially drawn to try this foundation after doing some research and learning that the Illamsqua line caters to a wide variety of skin shades including many with olive undertones and was generally well-reviewed. Recently, I came to the "what have I been doing all this time" conclusion that my pale skin has warm olive undertones and that all those years trying to find the right foundation shade without this knowledge were indeed spent in vain.

Thus my search brought me to this foundation in the shade 4.5 a perfect match for said undertones and light skin. The real beauty of this foundation for me is the color match and how seamless it looks on my skin.

Performance:
This foundation has a fairly light feel, for me but still manages to cover most all of my imperfections. I find this to be right around medium coverage but it can be layered easily and on my combination/oily skin is not cakey.
This foundation applies very smoothly, and using a dense buffing brush to pat it into my skin I can create a very pretty natural looking finish.

One negative aspect, although I do set this foundation with powder, is it can get oily after time. I can get maybe about five hours of good wear with this (which is pretty good imo)
but after a while the oil pokes through and the foundation also becomes very prone to transferring which is the reason why I have to take off one star.

This is a really great foundation, I wouldn't wear it on a really long / hot day but I would
recommend it if you are paler with olive undertones and need a good match with decent coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Another love ♥ I got a sample of this at sephora which I have been using for about two weeks on and off, I got 6.5 and am about nc25 (7.5 was a touch too dark but could work if my fake tan is at it's darknest). I have dry skin and this works very nicely, doesn't look too powdery and gives awesome coverage.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No