July 26, 2014 | 1473 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 8:45:00 PM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Got a sample from Sephora. This was just...not that great. It felt a bit heavy and tacky on the skin and just didn't seem to enhance my skin in any way. I much, much preferred Stila's Stay All Day foundation to this for oily skin summer wear.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2014 1:46:00 AM More reviews by McVeay

I tried this product hoping it would improve my skins quality. It broke me out, looked very cakey, fake in color and did not last more than 4 hrs or less!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by missauve

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have acne prone, sensitive skin. After reading the reviews on here I decided to check this product out. I bought this from Sephora after the lady there told me it wouldn’t break me out. I have used MAC and Bare Minerals before, so this was my first cream foundation. I also had used the Tarte Tinted lotion which was OK, if you want a natural look.

I prefer to use powder because I find it’s easier to get full coverage (MAC studio fix), however I have been breaking out really badly the past two weeks so I switched back to using this. I think this is good if you aren’t going to full coverage. I think you can get it to go full, but would probably have to use a lot. Anyways, my skin has been good for a while so I may continue using this if I can get away with it. I find that it's better for the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am currently NC25, with yellow-olive undertones, and the vast majority of warm-toned foundations I've tried appeared orange on me. It doesn't help that I'm oily and just about anything will oxidize on my face, making the orange problem even worse! I then read on one blogger's post that Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation works well for olive skin. Taking this and the oxidation into account, I asked for a sample in Light Sand, and the sales associate prepared to give me a decant of at least two weeks' worth of product(!).

A little goes a long way for the Amazonian Clay foundation. The product initially looks heavy as it doesn't run, but it feels light on the skin thanks to its whipped texture and applies smoothly. The coverage is medium to full; after just one layer my dark acne scars are barely visible. If needed, however, it can be built for even fuller coverage.

The finish is my main issue with this: it takes on the finish of the previous product you applied. SPF15 isn't enough to do much, and even after letting my sunscreen (which is also my AM moisurizer) dry my face is still a little slippery; I was thus left with an undesirable, "dewy" finish. One day I forgot to put sunscreen, and the the finish I was left with after putting on the foundation was completely matte. This, though, can be fixed with a light dusting of powder before applying foundation.

Colour-wise, this is what made me fall in love with this foundation. I expected Light Sand to be initially too pale, with the formula oxidizing to a better match, but this does NOT oxidize on me! It also has enough olive so that I don't appear orange. I do look a little ashy, but after setting it with Ben Nye Banana mixed with teal pigment I have the best colour match I've ever had in a foundation routine. While not as tenacious as my beloved Double Wear--it gets patchy around my nose after seven hours--it is easier to apply, and cheaper by volume. 49CAD sounds like a lot, but you're getting 50mL for that.

Because of the colour match, along with its stellar coverage and good longevity, I'd happily add this foundation to my collection. And for others with olive skin, this may very well be a product worth looking at.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by MysticalRukia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was my first high end foundation, and I wanted so badly to like this after reading and watching so many positive reviews. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

I am super pale, large pores, oily skin and deep hyper pigmentation with dented scarring from past acne. I really liked the texture of this foundation, but after applying it, it insinuated every single flaw on my face and never would set - plus it didn't even cover the hyper pigmentation that well (in this foundation's defense, I haven't found a foundation that will on its own, whether they claim to be full coverage or not.) .. With a fresh face I moisturized and tried this with, and without a primer, and applied it with my hands, a brush, and a beauty blender to try and make it work. Sadly I got the same result each and every time, no matter what I did.

It also looked terribly cakey - and because it never would set (it remained sticky and easy to come off) I would have to set it with a powder which made the cakey-ness ten times worse! And even when I set it with a powder, it still easily came off! And made my skin MORE oily after a few short minutes of wearing it. Throughout the day it only got worse and worse to the point I couldn't wait to get home and wash it off!

I had the same experience every time I wore this. I had high hopes for this product, but unfortunately it was one of the worst foundations I've personally ever tried. In fact it was so bad that I wondered did I get a bad batch of it? Either way, I'm not spending the money again to find out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by lnom27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

He probado muchas bases y hasta el día de hoy esta es mi favorita. Tengo el cutis muy grasoso y normalmente las bases duran en mi de tres a cuatro horas y comienzan a desvanecerse, pero esta se mantiene todo el día al menos ocho horas y lo mejor es que mi cutis no luce grasoso para nada. Su cobertura la considero mediana pero se puede construir para que sea completa. Definitivamente la volveré a comprar.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2014 11:18:00 AM More reviews by AuroraStarita

My skin is both oily and acneprone and dry and flaky (and a weird color, too!) and liquid foundation frequently puts me in a bind... it looks better if I put makeup over greasy, dirty skin but I WILL get pimples. If I put it on washed skin, I WILL get flakes like crazy. So.. take my review as a worst case scenario.

I think there's a lot going right with this foundation, though I had to buy two tubes and mix to get my shade right. I wish I had waited a day to buy it after trying it in Ulta because I think I might be allergic to the sunscreen that's in it. Depending on how recently I washed my face, this stuff BURNS when I put it on. Not so great for covering my already irritated, red face. I frequently have problems with products that have titanium dioxide in them, unfortunately I didn't know that when I shelled out 80+ bucks for 2 tubes of this. In general, I love Tarte products and I will check out their other foundations to see if I can find a sunscreen-free one. I could see other people loving this foundation and instead of chucking it, I eagerly gave it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by jENNj

Love this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by slfalk

This is my daily foundation - I love it. I have extremely sensitive skin and this doesn't bother me - and it never has in nearly two years of exclusive wear. I wear the lightest shade available and it matches my skin perfectly. One thing I really love about this formula is that it sinks right into your skin and disappears - but can be buildable for full coverage.

That said, I don't think this is necessarily a "full-coverage" foundation unless you really take time to carefully layer it on. With just a small amount, which is what I use daily, it has good coverage but isn't heavy and lets my skin show through. So, I think how you apply really make a difference.

A tube of this lasts me nearly a year, as long as I don't have any accidents. I set this with pressed powder - very lightly - and it stays all day with little to no oxidation or movement. I do make sure to put my Olay Total Effects moisturizer one at least a 1/2 hour prior to my makeup, though.

Great stuff. I love this brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by anae555

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this Tarte Amazonian clay full coverage foundation for two weeks now. I love it. Just about every other product has sunscreens in it that give me an allergic reaction. This Tarte foundation? No problem. It HAS sunscreens. They work. And they don't hurt my skin!

This foundation stays put ALL DAY LONG. And its natural looking. Not sparkly. Not dewey.

I'm very happy with the selection of shades because they have one thats yellow enough for me - Light-Medium-Sand. I went to three stores before I could find this shade in stock - and I got the last box there! So manufacturers - PAY ATTENTION - every time you make a true yellow-based shade it just flies off the shelves. Make MORE!

I see one problem with this foundation. It has ZERO moisturizing power. If you have dry skin, STAY AWAY from this. Its going to emphasize any dry patches you have. And its thick enough that it will hard for you to apply unless you use a moisturizer underneath.