Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.5

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

I'll start off by saying I have tried about 12 different foundations in less than 3 months. I work 12 hour shifts so I need something that really lasts. I have normal/dry skin and this foundation is perfect for me. Usually foundations that claim to be long-lasting are very drying and end up looking awful on my face after a few hours. This foundation gives me a natural matte finish that lasts all day. I always start with a moisturizer (my fav is Clinique dramatically different). I do set it with the tarte pressed translucent powder and I get a little shiny when I hit the 12 hour mark. The consistency is awesome - it's thick but has a mousse-like texture so it feels light on your skin. It blends seamlessly, leaves no lines, and doesn't settle into fine lines or wrinkles. I recommend getting color matched because it can be tricky. It's a bit pricy but it lasts around 2-3 months for me because I truly only need 1 squirt for full coverage application. I have used both a brush and blending sponge for application. They both create a beautiful look but I prefer the brush for more coverage as the sponge creates more of a medium coverage. Overall, great product! My holy grail foundation!!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other

I love this. Holy grail foundation for myself. I can't speak for others. But omg I'm in love. I think it's all on how you apply this. And also your skincare have to be 👌 that's why foundation can go either horribly wrong or right.

The first time I tested it I did not put on a primer. I only used aloe water to tone, Mac fix plus, and a damp beauty blender. So it sort of felt awful. Even with the setting powders and a mineral powder. But today, is my day lol. I scrubbed with st. Ives apricot scrub, toned with aloe water per usual, primed with Rimmel stay matte primer really good, and I used a pea and a half amount on the back of my hand with a ELF powder brush from studio line. I started buffing on the cheeks, chin, and lastly my forehead. I blended for about 3 to 5 minutes all around. And everything was beautiful and medium covered. I only used concealer under my eyes. I used Tan honey as I'm nc40 in Mac. I recommend for all oily combo ladies. Perfect match and light weight. Oh my goodness. Thank God....

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

So like, where do I even start? I guess the one good thing about this is that it IS possible to get a fantastic finish... But getting there is hardly worth it, imo. It has good coverage but forget everything you know about foundation. First off there's no way you can layer this because it sets so fast that layering makes it roll up and look patchy so you're better off using a more is more approach. I use a buffing brush, the one time I tried my beauty blender (knock off, cuz seriously) it was not good. Ok, no biggie but my biggest beef is that to keep the foundation looking good I have to use two different primers. Personally I use Smashbox and Benefit's Pore-fection. For every day wear I like Revlon Colorstay and I don't even use a primer with that usually. So for what I paid for Tarte, I don't feel like I should have to use more products to get the same look I get for one/third the cost at freaking Walmart. If I don't use Pore-fection then this sinks into my pores and ends up looking cheap and crappy. If you don't have large pores you can probably pull this off way better, which is why I rated it fairly high. Price rating is four lippies because while it is expensive, there's definitely higher priced ones out there. I love the squeeze tube also. But I won't be buying it again, it's just too much work for me and more cost added on in the long run.

I used to be so intrigued by this product because the packaging looks adorable but I was so iffy about buying this because of the price. When I saw this foundation being applied on QVC I was impressed how great it covered brown spots and completely concealed a model's red blotchy birthmark! I have combination skin and it's a complete oil slick, especially my nose. The lady at Ulta recommended this to me because she claimed that the clay in the foundation would absorb the oils on my T-zone. Upon applying this I realized that it didn't conceal my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation the slightest, nor redness. I tried another layer and it somewhat worked but I had to go in and spot conceal. However, it's impossible to build up this foundation without it looking cakey and unnatural. 3 hours later I checked in the mirror to do touch ups only to be mortified at what I saw. This foundation oxidized into such an orange color and made my pores stand out like no other. Keep in mind that I blotted my face 4 times. This is the first time Tarte let me down.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I love the packaging of this foundation. The reason why I don't like this foundation is because even though the foundation is very thick and it claims to be full coverage, it is not!! You have to build the full coverage and I end up using ALOT of the product!! Once I layer about 3-4 coats of foundation the finish is really great and its stays all day. Overall, it's not worth it to me because there's nothing special about this foundation and it does not do for me what it says it does! So I will NOT repurchase!!

I loved that this came in a full size bottle (it had almost twice the amount of foundation as other products for its price). I have yellow undertones. Fair sand was slightly ashy on my skin.

I have some acne and frequently get hormonal breakouts. Around my acne is typically dry (my cheeks and chin), but my t-zone is more typically oily. This foundation claims to be medium to full coverage but I would call it light to medium. I tried my hardest to build it up but I had poor results. The redness of my acne still shone through. Not good for the dry patches of my acne either. Worst part was how transferable the makeup was, and it came off my skin in hours.

It works for some but not for others. It's worth trying since you get so much extra product for the price. If you don't need to cover acne, and if you don't have dry skin, I would try it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have tried more than 2 hands worth of foundations and this one has been my favorite by far! I've been using it for 7 months now and am very impressed. Full coverage is a must have for me on my list of requirements and this product was true to that! Not only does it provide full coverage, but it doesn't make me look like a clown or sun-baked Barbie.

I would recommend this product to anyone! Just make sure you always pick the right shade because one use of the wrong shade could steer you to writing a bad review that could have been avoided!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This has to be the best foundation I have used in a long time. I spent so much money on drugstore liquid foundations and powders for my oily skin and nothing really worked for me. I was using a Sephora spray foundation that I thought was great but once I switched to this I automatically saw the difference. I always wear makeup to work and I've noticed that with the tarte foundation I do not get as oily as other ones. I used to have a lot of acne but I've learned how to prevent them and this foundation has honestly been so gentle to my face so a big thumbs up for that. I totally recommend it. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like some people might not be applying correctly so that's why it's not working out for them.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I apologize in advance for what is going to be a somewhat lengthy review.

So initially I hesitated for a long while before buying this foundation more than a year ago in Light Neutral (I'm around NW20-ish). I was after something that had full coverage, was long wearing and moderately sweat resistant. At that particular time when I bought it, I was still discovering what makeup worked for me, and so I was also going through a whole collection of other foundations, as well as all kinds of different primers. When I finally bought the foundation and applied it at home, I was...not thrilled. I was applying it with my fingers over moisturized skin sans primer, and all it did was sit in my pores and came off my face at the slightest touch. Needless to say, it entered my box of foundations and my search continued.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. My search for a long wearing, sweat resistant, medium to full coverage foundation is still going on. Thus far, I had discovered Estee Lauder perfectionist foundation, which has been functioning as my HG for some months. The only problem I have with the Perfectionist is that I had to use quite a lot to give myself the coverage I wanted, and although it was fairly sweat resistant, it didn't look great after a long day of heat and humidity. Don't get me wrong, it lasted and lasted, and it really didn't look terrible at the end of a hot day. It just didn't look great. I don't know how to explain it. Anyway, so I kept searching for something that could work as my every day foundation so that I could use the Perfectionist as my special occasion foundation, because it really does look lovely on me. After multiple samples and multiple purchases of foundations that I either returned or gifted away, I decided to shop my stash again. I dug out the Amazonian clay foundation and for some reason, I could not quite recall why it didn't work for me. I remembered the sitting in my pores problem, but I also knew that my makeup prep and application has evolved quite a bit over the last year or two. So I tried the Tarte again, and lo and behold! It works wonderfully now.

I now prime my skin with Hourglass no.28 primer before applying the foundation, and I use either my RT expert face brush, Cover FX custom blending brush or any other dense, buffing brush to apply it. I apply only a little bit because it does go quite a long way, and applying too much makes me look like a cake face. A little dollop is enough for near full coverage though, and afterward I set it with a little powder and add some setting spray. The finish is sort of satin-matte - very skin-like and flattering. There is some kind of shimmer in it, but not obvious glitter. It doesn't stick to my dry patches (of which I have many) yet it sticks to my skin like nobody's business. Now that I know how to prep, apply and finish it, this foundation lasts through everything, even my embarrassing sweating episodes. And the best part is, it still looks decent at the end of the day. I mean, very decent. All in all, I am very happy with this foundation now. I went back to Sephora and got my winter shade, Light Beige to go along with the Light Neutral I already had.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I've been trying to make this foundation work for me for a while, but it just doesn't. It's so thick it feels almost like glue. With a brush it's streaky, and with a beauty blender it just sits on top of my skin and looks pasty. Applying it with my fingers is slightly better, but you really have to rub it in to the skin to get it to look OK, and working it in to the pores like that makes me break out. It doesn't cover my acne very well, and wears off after a few hours even with setting/finishing powders.

Not sure why this is as beloved as it is. It can't just be because of the shade range, can it?

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom