Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.6

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

on 3/22/2015 10:00:00 PM

To me, this is one of the worst foundations on the market. It oxidizes like nothing I have ever seen, turning Orange and separating, and makes my pores look huge. I don't understand how anyone can like this. I've tried it on other people and it looks ok in the store, but I always suggest they get a sample and wear it around for a while to see how it looks on them throughout the day.

on 3/22/2015 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

MY HOLY GRAIL FOUNDATION. Yes, it will cling to dry patches, so be sure to moisturize well before hand! I've noticed it does last 12 hours, sometimes more! I wear this stuff to events where I sweat a lot and it stays on the whole night. I left it on during a good workout and it was still on when the workout was over. It goes on smooth, but it does dry fast, so you have to blend fairly quickly. It does well at evening out your skin tone and covering small imperfections, but the coverage is NOT full, so don't expect it to make your face look flawless. One of the major drawbacks is color selection. I had a hard time finding a shade that didn't make me too pink or too dark. I have to use a colored powder on top to even it out. I've noticed they came out with new shades recently, so I'm probably going to try those out.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I saw several advertisements for this product on home shopping channels, $35 and the word "clay" in a foundation did not equate. However, I loved the look off the applied product on the models, so I finally broke down and ordered some, in the light/medium beige, which happened to be a dead-on perfect match for my olive complexion. I have moderate melasma (darkening of the skin due to hormones and Sun exposure), plus some scarring on my cheek from a dog bite a few years back. To my surprise, it completely concealed BOTH. Not only that, but it has a matte finish that doesn't really need a finishing powder. Due to the fluctuation of the color of my skin with the changing off the seasons, I also ordered another tube in fair/light honey and mix the two colors to adjust to my skin color. I am only 37, but my scarring and skin discoloration makes me extremely self conscious about my appearance. Even though the name "Amazonian Clay" might be a turn-off for some people, I can honestly say that I have found my miracle product!!!!

on 3/17/2015 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

You know as a foundation junkie, I am really surprised of the high ratings here. Are you kidding me? This is one of the worst products that I have ever tried. It feels like a mask. It is too shiny. It does not look natural. I looked sick with the yellow shades. With the money spent on a crappy product like this, you can buy several drugstore foundations that are of better quality.

on 3/17/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am a makeup junkie and I own countless foundations. I've been lusting after this for at least two years but I've been trying to use what I have. I finally pulled the trigger last week when Tarte had a flash sale. I color matched myself and played with the testers at Ulta many times, so I knew what shade to buy. I've watched YouTube vids and read numerous reviews on this foundation, so I knew what my plan of attack would be. The first time I tried it, I cleansed my face and lightly applied argan oil (as my skin is slightly drier than my usual combo) and let that set for about 10 minutes. I lightly applied the foundation with a damp Beauty Blender and did not apply any powder intially. I immediately felt the finish of the foundation was very natural and not full coverage--no where near full coverage. After letting the foundation set on my skin a while, I noticed that it emphasized every line, crows feet, acne scar and uneven place on my face. I then lightly applied Avon Powder Mineral Fondation (I use it as a finishing powder) with the slightly damp Beauty Blender and it helped even out the finish a bit. Fast forward a couple of days: I decided to ditch my beloved Beauty Blender and use my Sigma F80 flat top brush to buff in the foundation, as many reviewers advised a brush is best. I was slightly impressed with the finish but it felt and looked a bit mask-like. After I applied the rest of my makeup, including some Lorac powder foundation as a finishing powder and used a couple spritzes of finishing spray, I felt that I looked very made up however my many imperfections still showed. My Cover Girl Olay CC foundation is $5 and leaves my skin looking flawless--so today I mixed the two and used my F80. It's OK but not the holy grail foundation I thought I'd find. With shipping, this cost me $24 and I regret the purchase. My 18-year-old daughter might have better luck with it. Save your money girls. There are so many great foundations at the drugstore. Don't get sucked into the pretty packaging and fancy names!

on 3/16/2015 5:50:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I am a huge foundation junkie so I was really excited when my friend who has the same skin tone as myself offered me a very generous sample of her Amazonian Clay foundation which she swears by. To preface this review, I have combination skin that is slightly oily with dry patches on my forehead, nose, and around my lips and my skin is very fair with fairly neutral undertones. I've tried this foundation for a few days now and I don't seem to really be getting on with it that well- it isn't a bad product by any means but it just isn't really doing it for me. As usual when trying out a foundation, I've applied it using various different methods and used it both with and without primer, with and without powder but I have yet to find a method which makes this foundation excel. My favourite method if I had to pick would be with primer and blending it with my fingers (I use the L'Oreal Magic Lumi primer) but no matter how I apply the foundation, it always seems to gravitate to my dry spots. Now, it certainly doesn't accentuate them as much as other foundations and I a lot of people have told me that applying foundation on flaky skin and expecting it to look good is a lost cause but that is simply not true because there have been many, many foundation that I've used that have kept the flakiness well under control- this just isn't one of them. No matter how I apply this foundation, it seems to sit on top of the skin and never really blends in fully, causing it to rub off really easily whenever I use my phone or touch my face. I don't do those things too often but hey, I'm human and while I don't expect foundation to last through a rainstorm or a 4 hour phone call, sometimes there is contact made with my face and a foundation must be able to stand it's ground (or face rather). On a positive note, despite this foundation being so thick it is almost airy in the sense that when you start to blend it in, it loses the thickness and it feels surprisingly light without compromising coverage. I think this foundation is more of a medium coverage and it has a very natural finish- not matte or dewy. On my skin this foundation will last about 8 hours before going patchy which isn't bad for wear time but the foundation will start looking fairly oily before then and if you have any degree of oily skin you will absolutely need powder. It doesn't live up to the 12 hour claim but it still lasts a decent amount of time for what the average person would likely need. A huge bonus of this foundation is that is comes with 50mL of product versus the average 30mL for products of the same price range so you're getting 2/3 extra. I'm not sure I'd recommend this foundation personally just because I think there are better products out there but clearly a lot of people love this foundation so if you don't have dry patches this foundation might be for you.

on 3/16/2015 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I purchased this last week and so far I love it! I was using the Mac Studio Fix Liquid Foundation and although it has really good coverage it oxidizes and leaves your face looking orange at times. It also made me break out; not good.
I love this Tarte Foundation because it gives me good coverage and doesn't leave any patches and it really is long lasting! So far so good!

on 3/12/2015 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am NW20 and this is pretty yellow. None of the shades are pink that I have noticed. I used Fair-light honey, but it's just a tad too yellow. It can become cakey and it feels full coverage on my skin, which I don't like.

I have drier skin and this seemed to cling to the spots. I wont be repurchasing this.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

This is my current foundation that I use every day, however my skin gets quite dry in the winter and it is not very ideal for the weather.
However, I am a fan of the whole Tarte line! This foundation, paired with the right primer, can look perfect on skin. As an extreeeemely pale girl, I've been through my fair share of skin products, and a lot of them have been too dark or too yellow or too pink. Luckily, Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation has a shade that is near perfect for my skin (mixed with a tiny bit of white foundation, yes I am that pale unfortunately) and it sits on my face for a few hours before anything starts to "cake" or fall off. I cannot boast about Tarte enough, their line just continues to impress me.
Keep in mind that this product may not suit oily skin types, as it's very thick.

on 3/5/2015 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This product is not full coverage and it looks cakey on the skin. It sits on the skin with or without primer. At first it appears to blend nicely but when you look in the mirror up close it sits on the skin. It does not look natural at all. Just not a fan of this product. I've had better foundation. I would not repurchase this item by Tarte.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom