July 29, 2014 | 2007 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by asmolkin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great winter and fall makeup. Looks outstanding in photos. No white cast. I think it is like a demi-matte finish. More matte than dewy but not completly matte. keep in mind, my skintype is oily. Long wearing, which is nice. Also great if you are looking for that I am wearing makeup look, in other words, it is kind of heavy looking. more heavy looking than the covergirl 3 in 1...but it is not nearly as heavy looking or feeling as something like revlon colorstay (heavy) or vichy dermablend (unbelievably heavy)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2014 9:25:00 PM More reviews by starbuck65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like it. I might have loved it if the coverage were better. It's not full coverage. What I like is that it doesn't get cake around my nose during the day. It reminds me of MAC Studio sculpt a lot, it's a bit thicker but still similar. It never looks dry or heavy on my skin, lasts the day. Not bad at all.
EDIT MY FAVORITE FOUNDATION EVER! I watched the video on qvc.com and they applied with a brush. Because I didn't think the coverage was enough I thought by patting it in would work better. The brush is fantastic, I would call it medium to full coverage. Looks even better as the day goes on and it stays put! Doesn't settle in lines, doesn't dry out, perfect.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 8:45:00 PM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Got a sample from Sephora. This was just...not that great. It felt a bit heavy and tacky on the skin and just didn't seem to enhance my skin in any way. I much, much preferred Stila's Stay All Day foundation to this for oily skin summer wear.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2014 1:46:00 AM More reviews by McVeay

I tried this product hoping it would improve my skins quality. It broke me out, looked very cakey, fake in color and did not last more than 4 hrs or less!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by missauve

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have acne prone, sensitive skin. After reading the reviews on here I decided to check this product out. I bought this from Sephora after the lady there told me it wouldn’t break me out. I have used MAC and Bare Minerals before, so this was my first cream foundation. I also had used the Tarte Tinted lotion which was OK, if you want a natural look.

I prefer to use powder because I find it’s easier to get full coverage (MAC studio fix), however I have been breaking out really badly the past two weeks so I switched back to using this. I think this is good if you aren’t going to full coverage. I think you can get it to go full, but would probably have to use a lot. Anyways, my skin has been good for a while so I may continue using this if I can get away with it. I find that it's better for the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am currently NC25, with yellow-olive undertones, and the vast majority of warm-toned foundations I've tried appeared orange on me. It doesn't help that I'm oily and just about anything will oxidize on my face, making the orange problem even worse! I then read on one blogger's post that Tarte's Amazonian Clay foundation works well for olive skin. Taking this and the oxidation into account, I asked for a sample in Light Sand, and the sales associate prepared to give me a decant of at least two weeks' worth of product(!).

A little goes a long way for the Amazonian Clay foundation. The product initially looks heavy as it doesn't run, but it feels light on the skin thanks to its whipped texture and applies smoothly. The coverage is medium to full; after just one layer my dark acne scars are barely visible. If needed, however, it can be built for even fuller coverage.

The finish is my main issue with this: it takes on the finish of the previous product you applied. SPF15 isn't enough to do much, and even after letting my sunscreen (which is also my AM moisurizer) dry my face is still a little slippery; I was thus left with an undesirable, "dewy" finish. One day I forgot to put sunscreen, and the the finish I was left with after putting on the foundation was completely matte. This, though, can be fixed with a light dusting of powder before applying foundation.

Colour-wise, this is what made me fall in love with this foundation. I expected Light Sand to be initially too pale, with the formula oxidizing to a better match, but this does NOT oxidize on me! It also has enough olive so that I don't appear orange. I do look a little ashy, but after setting it with Ben Nye Banana mixed with teal pigment I have the best colour match I've ever had in a foundation routine. While not as tenacious as my beloved Double Wear--it gets patchy around my nose after seven hours--it is easier to apply, and cheaper by volume. 49CAD sounds like a lot, but you're getting 50mL for that.

Because of the colour match, along with its stellar coverage and good longevity, I'd happily add this foundation to my collection. And for others with olive skin, this may very well be a product worth looking at.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/31/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by MysticalRukia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was my first high end foundation, and I wanted so badly to like this after reading and watching so many positive reviews. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

I am super pale, large pores, oily skin and deep hyper pigmentation with dented scarring from past acne. I really liked the texture of this foundation, but after applying it, it insinuated every single flaw on my face and never would set - plus it didn't even cover the hyper pigmentation that well (in this foundation's defense, I haven't found a foundation that will on its own, whether they claim to be full coverage or not.) .. With a fresh face I moisturized and tried this with, and without a primer, and applied it with my hands, a brush, and a beauty blender to try and make it work. Sadly I got the same result each and every time, no matter what I did.

It also looked terribly cakey - and because it never would set (it remained sticky and easy to come off) I would have to set it with a powder which made the cakey-ness ten times worse! And even when I set it with a powder, it still easily came off! And made my skin MORE oily after a few short minutes of wearing it. Throughout the day it only got worse and worse to the point I couldn't wait to get home and wash it off!

I had the same experience every time I wore this. I had high hopes for this product, but unfortunately it was one of the worst foundations I've personally ever tried. In fact it was so bad that I wondered did I get a bad batch of it? Either way, I'm not spending the money again to find out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by lnom27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

He probado muchas bases y hasta el día de hoy esta es mi favorita. Tengo el cutis muy grasoso y normalmente las bases duran en mi de tres a cuatro horas y comienzan a desvanecerse, pero esta se mantiene todo el día al menos ocho horas y lo mejor es que mi cutis no luce grasoso para nada. Su cobertura la considero mediana pero se puede construir para que sea completa. Definitivamente la volveré a comprar.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2014 11:18:00 AM More reviews by AuroraStarita

My skin is both oily and acneprone and dry and flaky (and a weird color, too!) and liquid foundation frequently puts me in a bind... it looks better if I put makeup over greasy, dirty skin but I WILL get pimples. If I put it on washed skin, I WILL get flakes like crazy. So.. take my review as a worst case scenario.

I think there's a lot going right with this foundation, though I had to buy two tubes and mix to get my shade right. I wish I had waited a day to buy it after trying it in Ulta because I think I might be allergic to the sunscreen that's in it. Depending on how recently I washed my face, this stuff BURNS when I put it on. Not so great for covering my already irritated, red face. I frequently have problems with products that have titanium dioxide in them, unfortunately I didn't know that when I shelled out 80+ bucks for 2 tubes of this. In general, I love Tarte products and I will check out their other foundations to see if I can find a sunscreen-free one. I could see other people loving this foundation and instead of chucking it, I eagerly gave it away.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by jENNj