April 19, 2014 | 1745 users online

Sunscreen - Skinceuticals - Physical Fusion SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by monty713

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Excellent product. No white/pasty effect to cover up. Have been able to get away with just using this in place of foundation/tinted moisturizer. Get it, you won't be sorry!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 7:54:00 AM More reviews by sydney69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an incredibly sheer, elegant physical sunscreen. The texture is very fluid and silicony, but it doesn't irritate my skin like Shiseido Gentle did. The tint works really well for me (MAC NW20/25), so I only need makeup over it for extra coverage, not colour correction (a first!), and makeup goes on well because of the silicone. It gives coverage similar to a tinted moisturiser, and the finish is satiny. You definitely need an oily cleanser/makeup remover to get this off - I started to breakout with this until I figured that out, but now I use a dual phase remover (Paula's Choice) and it's fine. Like many physical sunscreens it is a little drying under my eyes, but a bit of Paula's Choice Cellular Defense SPF underneath works wonders and acts like an illuminator as well. Like others here, I'm not convinced that it really delivers PPD 21 with 11% actives, but it does have sunspheres which significantly boost SPF and PPD (http://www.rhpersonalcare.com/products/product_print.page?display-mode=tds&product=1122912), and I figure anything above SPF 20/PPD 6 is better than any other wearable physical sunscreen I've found. I'll keep using into the summer and see how it goes. So far, I'm loving it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 8:44:00 AM More reviews by 1Bruce1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this! My skin is oily, and verrrry sensitive/reactive--mild rosacea. Every so-called "gentle" or "for sensitive skin" ss that I've tried has either caused my face to react or made it a greasy white mess. Not this one! I got a rec and took a gamble by buying a small one on eBay. When I saw the color, I was disappointed, because it looked way too dark for my fair skin. But it just blends right in. Very smooth application, and my skin has not reacted badly at all. It's definitely not matte, but not greasy either. It leaves a little enough sheen that I usually don't even put my regular powder over it. I'll blot my face maybe once a day. I once tried the monistat gel over it, and it was fine, but didn't feel necessary. I've been told that I look "glowing," which I can only attribute to this. Spendy, but most definitely worth a try! I'll update if it stops working for me, but for now I'm thinking it's "the one".

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 9:37:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

Well poop!!! I had such high hopes for this...I am limited to either a completely or almost completely physical sunscreen for my face. This has received such good press, I had been dying to try.

I purchased towards the end of June. As others have mentioned, it is very similar in container and texture to some of the Japanese SS (I personally find it very similar to Sofina Perfect UV Lucent spf 50 and Biore Moist UV Face Milk spf 50+ PA+++. Same slender bottle tip, must shake prior to dispensing, little bottles that are expensive, works like a SS and primer in one.)

This particular product has a beige tint that completely melts away on my NC 15/Everyday Minerals Fairly Light/Colorstay Buff/Rimmel Ivory skin. It feels LOVELY going on, but don't let the wonderful slip fool you - you still need to use 1/4 teaspoon of this to get adequate protection just like any other SS, but the slip can easily make you think you can use less due to the fabulous ease w/ which this product spreads over your face.

I love the fact that it is a physical and is spf 50. I know the company claims a really hi PPD due to its other ingredients besides the actives - personally I'm VERY skeptical of this claim because not only does the SS calculator = 5.3 - 6.3 PPD (depending if ZnO and TiO2 are in water phase or oil phase which I have no way of knowing, so did calculations using all possible combinations) but (and this is why I've d/c using it and its up for swap), my melasma got darker = NOT GOOD!!

I'm going back to my tried/true BurnOut - Ocean Tested Physical Sunscreen SPF 30 because even though the PPD is only 7.3 if ZnO is water phase and 9.4 if the ZnO is oil phase, my melasma NEVER gets darker when I use this. Granted, I will use a primer now before foundation which I don't have to do w/ Skinceuticals, but since I have discovered (thx to MUA) Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel (very cheap, very effective primer), I don't mind the extra inexpensive step if it keeps my skin happy and my melasma at bay..

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

Very light, sheer sunscreen that will not make you look like you are wearing a physical sunscreen. I'm so glad that someone finally figured out to add tint to these physical sunscreens, because no matter what, without the tint, they leave a white cast. This sunscreen does not. It has a light, liquidy texture that will dry after a little while but I go ahead and put on powder over it. It is like using a very sheer makeup. It provides good sun protection without any chemicals. Basically has no smell and has not irritated my skin in any way. I have noticed a reduction in freckels since starting to use it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2012 10:21:00 AM More reviews by coffeeandcream

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a liquid sunscreen that comes in a small bottle (1.7 oz for around $32). You need to shake it up before applying. It has a beige, warm-toned tint, however it is pretty sheer once applied. I have a picture of the tint in my profile if you would like to see it.

THE GOOD:

*Nice tint, slightly evens out my skin. Does not cover acne, though. I am NC15 and it works, however it is just a tad darker than my natural tone. It doesn't look terribly obvious, though.
*Feels absolutely weightless, not tacky, sticky or heavy. It basically feels like nothing on your skin
*Nice for oily skinned people (however with prolonged use it dries me out)
*Seems to work as a primer for my mineral foundation - my foundation looked really good on top of this
*Quick drydown so I can get my makeup on and go

THE BAD:

*Stings my skin (eye and cheek area) upon application for 10-20 seconds, then goes away. I am on Retin A and I believe it makes my skin sensitive to this.
*Very strong chemical-like smell when first applied
*Dries my skin out if I use it too many days in a row (and I have oily skin)
*Expensive
*Not sure what I think of the coverage. I wore this daily on a 4 day camping trip, and even though I re-applied (and used the proper amount) my face has color in a few areas.

I don't think I will repurchase. The burning/tingling sensation along with the pricetag is a turnoff.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by thor7262

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this sunscreen. It doesn't take much to cover my whole face, and it doesn't cause my skin to become oily the way most sunscreens do. It has a light feel and works perfectly under both mineral makeup and liquid foundations. It's kind of pricey and seems like a small bottle, but it spreads on easily with just a few drops. I started using it a few weeks ago and I can already see a difference in hyperpigmentation fading. It's an awesome product that I'll continue using. I would highly .this for any skin type

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by jessitanner

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Best sunscreen that I have tried for my sensitive, acne-prone skin. My dermatologist recommended it to me a couple of weeks ago and I can't imagine using any other sunscreen.

In the past I have used Khiels sunscreen, Cetaphil, Shisedio, and some drug-store brands, but nothing compares to this one.

It goes on smooth and doesn't irritate my skin at all. It sinks into the skin very fast and I can barely tell it's there. No harsh smells. My skin has had no reaction to this. And it protects skin very well from the sun's rays. ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND YOU TRY!

EDIT: over a year after writing that initial review, I am still using this sunscreen and still in love with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by slim34

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The first time I tried this sunscreen, I gave up on it because it didn't mix well with my liquid foundation. I've started using it again, but with a mineral foundation on top of it - and it works really well now. I find that this sunscreen evens out my skin tone enough that on most days I only need to apply a little bit of concealer and MMU on top of it. It looks more natural than my liquid foundation, but it really does even out my skin tone nicely.

Its my 2nd favorite sunscreen, after Replenix Physical Sunscreen Spray, but I use it more often because its currently serving as my foundation as well. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by Seajewel

Absolutely love it. I've used it for four days now, so I will update if I end up breaking out, but so far so good (and I often react very quickly to products). It has a light tint that is fairly undetectable on my skin (NC20), but it makes me look very glowy and polished. (I powder over it with Silk Naturals Blur powder, which I love). It's like my skin on the days when I wear makeup (just sheer foundation) except BETTER, because the SC PF doesn't settle into lines or create foundationy streaks on my nose where my glasses rest, and is not as shiny as fdtn. It also feels basically like nothing on compared to most makeup and sunscreens. I used to wear La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Fluid and it always caked around my nose where glasses rest and would be shiny, streaky white in places on my face, it never dried completely throughout the day and would settle into my lines. still i bore with it for the sake of the protection.

According to Skinceuticals, this has a PPD of 21, which is very high. It's also physical which means that it doesn't need to be reapplied like chemical sunscreen unless it is being wiped off (which does happen a little throughout the day, but I still feel more protected than when I wore chemical sunscreen for 10+ hours).

Anyways, I love it. It feels good on, looks GREAT on (polished as if I have light fdtn or tinted moisturizer on, glowy, but without caking, ever), is supposed to be very protective (and muaers have reported no pigment darkening or spots while wearing this in the sun). It's holy grail status. It does supposedly sting if your skin is sensitive (like if you're on a retinoid). I'm not currently using any actives and my skin has a very slight tingling sensation after applying, but no discomfort.

The main drawback is the price. It is very pricey--but it's completely worth it. I haven't found a sunscreen I like this much since Sofina.. and with a PPD of 21? I'm in, basically forever, unless my skin revolts or the protection ends up being shitty. I pile it on to make sure I have enough protection and it looks great.

ETA: I did repurchase, but after a few months I realized all was not right with my skin. I was having overall very rough textured skin and many breakouts around my jaw and chin. It took me a long time to realize what was the matter, as I incorporated a few new items around the same time, and the breakouts came a few weeks after starting SCPF. After 3 months of loyal use and trying to blame every other product I've used, I finally quit SCPF and my skin is healing. Too bad, as this was HG material for me in terms of the tinted finish and all-day lasting power.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No