Sephora Jumbo Liner 12HR Waterproof

4.4

on 10/2/2012 7:32:00 AM

I picked these up in Sephora's any 3 items for 10 euro sale, one in khaki and one in white. I was super shocked at the quality! They apply beautifully, going on with the barest minimum of pressure to full opacity, they smudge easily if required, can be used as liners or shadows, and came in a ton of different colours. The white is wonderful for highlighting around the tearduct, in the waterline and so on. Now I need to go back and grab a whole bunch more - these are an awesome addition to anyone's makeup bag!

on 10/2/2012 4:40:00 AM

I have never been able to put on powder-type eyeshadow properly but these are really easy to use as eyeshadow, and *even I* can apply them so they look good. They go on smoothly and without tugging, they blend nicely (do it quickly though), and once they're set, they stay on. I have oily lids and most eye makeup does not stay on me, but miraculously, these actually seem to live up to their name. However, the product does come off easily with eye makeup remover. I've bought three: (28) mauve shimmer, (15) purple, and (14) violet. I like using 28 + 15 together for a very minimal look at work, and I use 14 with 28 for a little something extra if I'm going out. This has been my best makeup purchase in years.

on 9/29/2012 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

These pencils are amazing: I now own three (turquoise, peacock blue shimmer, and purple). They really are waterproof and once they're on, they stay put. They're also insanely easy to use: a couple of quick swipes and you're done.

Turquoise was wonderful for the summer-- it's a brilliant, bold color. This is the first one I bought-- I tried this pencil out against a bunch of other (higher priced) brands at Sephora. This color, in particular, is a dead ringer for a much higher priced Makeup Forever pencil.

The Peacock Blue Shimmer is actually close in hue to turquoise: I see it as the fall/winter version. It's extremely pretty, a bit darker in tone than turquoise, but still a brilliant color. I'm surprised how nicely it works for me (I've got dark hair, very fair [paler than MAC NC15] and hazel eyes).

I have been searching for a great purple eyeliner for ages. There's a purple Laura Mercier kohl pencil that I really like (it is much brighter), but I love the ease of these jumbo Sephora pencils. This is a very serious, adult color. My first reaction when I tried this on was, "oooh pretty." I don't normally say things like that, and certainly not when looking at my own face! I'm looking forward to wearing it with the Laura Mercier Amethyst Caviar Stick: they layer nicely together.

These pencils are fabulous. Really great colors, easy to apply, long-lasting, and reasonably priced.

on 9/16/2012 1:27:00 AM

These eyeliners are AMAZING. These would be great as eyeshadow bases, because they will not budge once dry, and therefore, anything you apply on top will not move either. I first purchased Turquoise, which is a shimmery and very opaque bright blue. I use it in my waterline and underneath my eye, in a thick line, and it looks amazing with a simple winged eyeliner on top. I recently purchased the dark brown matte, and purple matte. Swatching them all at sephora, I noticed that the shimmery colors tended to be more sheer, and I wanted a very rich purple and brown eyeliner. These colors would look great if you apply to top and bottom lashlines and blend out, for a very quick smokey eye. The quality of these pencils is totally worth the price, and I am rarely one to spend on the higher end for make-up.

on 9/6/2012 2:10:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

So I walked around Sephora yesterday, looking for a pencil eyeliner for those moments when I'm in a rush and can't apply my usual Bobbi Brown gel liner (which is the BEST for contact lens wearers -no flaking into contacts and blurring vision- who want something that won't smear/smudge so easily).

I tested all the waterproof eyeliners by YSL, Dior, Lancome, Benefit, Urban Decay, Buxom, etc etc. Every single waterproof eyeliner. After letting them all dry on my hand for about 5 minutes, I began my smudge test (aka fingers). Everything smudged on my hand except for the Sephora Jumbo Liner 12HR Wear Waterproof. I was really... REALLY shocked.

I'm trying this out right now. I don't like wearing those cream/liquid eye primers due to prior bad experiences, so I always apply nude/skintone eyeshadow before applying eyeliner. I don't think this Sephora pencil is better than Bobbi Brown's gel liner, but I think it's the best of all the pencil liners out there. I think maybe this liner even comes immediately after Bobbi Brown's gel liner.
I'd say while Bobbi Brown's gel liner gives 2.5 hours of completely smear-free performance, Sephora's Jumbo Liner gives 45 minutes of completely smear-free performance. All other pencil liners (MUFE, Urban Decay, etc etc) gives me about 5-10 minutes of smear-free performance. The eyeliner that offers me the most smear-free performance is Stila's All Day Waterproof - 6 hours before smearing starts to show.

There are of course liquid liners out there that are less smudge proof and have better staying power, but I find they're often too harsh looking for work and just going out with people in general - or they flake into my contacts and severely disrupt my vision.

on 8/10/2012 11:54:00 PM

Purchased this online in Dark Taupe Shimmer. It came today, and it was really more of a plum color.,..I was expecting something a bit lighter but this is very dark. I didn't really care for it, It didn't go on that smooth, and I just wasn't impressed with the staying power...it was mostly gone in a few hours in hellish heat, I think it's a little pricy for what it is, and it should at least come with a sharpener. Tarte's smoldereyes comes with a blender and a sharpener. Tarte's is twice the price, but that's not worth it, either. Not a fan and won't buy again, I loved their original jumbo eyeliners but I don't like the waterproof ones or the new colors,

on 8/7/2012 3:58:00 PM

Love this! I had been using Bobbi Brown liner in a pot. Which I liked, but felt like I could do with a bit more staying power in NC's humid summertime. This is not only easy to use, no brush required, but stays on really well, blends, if you want it to. Comes off easily when you are ready to take it off and is half the price of BB.

on 7/16/2012 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Goes on smooth, long lasting, easily smudged for fading, great for smokey eyes, stays on all day until I take it off. Love, love, love.

on 7/5/2012 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

All I can say is WOW!!! When they first came out, I bought 4 of the UD 24/7 shadow pencils and while I love the colours and the wear (they wear better as liners on me than the UD 24/7 liner pencils), these were a real pain to try to blend out....as in, once you applied them, they set instantly and unless you were up for a bit of tugging, it was difficult to smudge these out. Not so with the wonderful pencils from Sephora. These beauties remain blendable for more than enough time to smudge them out or do whatever you want. They are great as liners or as shadows. I have Khaki, which is a lovely shade of...well...khaki green! But I've also tried Taupe (gorgeous), and Brown (ditto) and plan to go back and get more. But Khaki was such a nice, unique shade and different from the UD's Narc or Bare Escentuals' Urban by Nature so I sprung for it and it is just lovely as a shadow or a liner. And these shadows do not crease or smear or fade once they've had a bit of time to set. Honestly, they are so good, it's just a bit hard to believe!

Sephora has a real winner with these beauties. Do yourself a favour and check 'em out. In Canada, they're only 15 bucks, which is much cheaper than UD (or my lovely but pricey Chanel Illusions d"Ombre) and simply a great value.

UPDATE: I love the performance and ease of use of this pencil so much that I treated myself to another one in the shade "Dark Taupe Shimmer" (#22). This is SO beautiful - very much like UD's Rehab 24/7 Glide On Shadow Pencil but even better, again because you can blend these for a while before it sets even though it sets to a crease-proof, long-wearing finish.

on 6/12/2012 1:05:00 PM

I had bought the taupe a year ago after dishing out $20 on an UD jumbo pencil, but gave it to my mom because it creased on my lids when worn alone (I bought it for lazy makeup days). I've been searching for months for a pencil liner that stays put over primer (I prefer shadow or pencil liner for the softer look). I decided to try the matte black color.
I was afraid that the large tip wouldn't get close enough to my lashes, so I swabbed a fine eyeliner brush over the pencil tip & applied to my upper lash line with the brush. The color went on smooth, rich, & opaque! I let it set for a few seconds...after that it didn't fade, smear, or transfer for 10 hours! Woo! I also used it over primer as an all over lid color. There was slight creasing, but not enough to be noticeable by anyone who wasn't looking for it.
Today I tried tightlining with it; it applied easily & darkly in just one pass. However, it doesn't agree with my contacts...feels like I have grit in my eyes. It continues to hold up fairly well, since I've used lubricating eye drops to try & soothe my eyes. I would highly recommend if you're looking for a smudgeable liner that will stay put. I think the black is a little harsh for my fair coloring, so I think I'll exchange for the brown.