September 21, 2014 | 1877 users online

Mascara - New York Color - City Curls

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Makeupobsession22

i like this mascara for defining every lash. it does not clump them together after one thick coat of this mascara. the wand is slightly curved but i dont think it holds the curls any better than any mascara! i like it for quite a natural look but other than that i dont think i would repurchase it. it doesnt give a spidery look to my lashes but it doesnt give a ton of volume or length. overall i think it is more of a defining and enhancing mascara! but i do recommend it if you want to try it, its just not amazing but its still good!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by LilyMakeupEvan

I dont understand why everyone is complaining. This mascara is UBER cheap and among my HG. To begin with, Im one of those who hates 'natural' looking lashes. I love the thick fake lash look and this is the mascara that gives me that. Ofcourse there are downsides, but I havent seen such a volunminizing mascara since FOREVER, and believe me when I say I have tried many. I think for the price, give this one a try! If your not happy, your not going to lose much. Will definately repurchase.
Check out my reviews on other mascara's too and let me know if this review was helpful or not :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2012 10:35:00 AM More reviews by scareyj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I found this mascara to be below average. It's a very inexpensive mascara so I didn't spend much on it. I found it to be very clumpy. I will not be repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2012 11:31:00 PM More reviews by cansal

This product straight up sucks. It does not hold a curl very well. Gives more of natural look hence the fact that it all flakes off within half an hour. Clumps very easily. The hot pink tube is really cute though.
Will not buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Cheshiercatt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I read several good reviews of this product, but found it to be disappointing. It only came in one color, 'black'.

The mascara was found to to hard to control and ending up being gloppy and clumpy when applying to my eyelashes.I had to wipe my eyelids and cheeks of the excess product as it flaked off when still wet. I need to run the wand back and forth across my eyelashes several times to get the desired effect trying to control that clumpiness.

About 6 hours later, most of the mascara was gone from my lashes, as it seems to lack any 'staying power'.

I would've only given this mascara a "2", but it got a "3" because it did curl the lashes rather nicely.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2012 2:34:00 PM More reviews by milliecookie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

it doesnt curl the lashes BUT it does a great job of holding the curl fast after curling before they droop down again .. to be fair i really dont think there is a mascara that can chemically curl the lashes

i cant stress how good this is !!
the formula is very dry and also fast drying , dont have to worry about blinking and getting panda eyes

it s actually amazing at a bottom lash mascara too because its not wet so the product only goes onto the lashes

the finish is very natural , and non spider legs at all, it doesnt lengthen like a fibre mascar, but it makes them super noticable

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by wynterandkaylinsmommy123

This is amazing. Its cheap and really does curl my lashes. It does clump up a little and i find my self reapplying it about 3 hrs later but it has enough product to keep reapplying it and works better than my falsies masvara

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

NYC (New York Color) City Curls Mascara is this budget brand's curling mascara option. City Curls promises to give you up to 60% lift with dramatic curl. This mascara does not offer a waterproof version, and is only available in one color; Extreme Black. This mascara is ophthalmologist tested and safe for contact lens wearers. NYC products are not tested on animals. This particular product was made in the UK. I purchased my .27fl oz tube at Rite Aid for $2.99
I was attracted to this mascara by it's cute name, and kinda cute packaging. The tube is slender and made of fuchsia plastic. The tube features City Curls written in silver cursive, as well as "NYC" written in silver, interlocked square letters. The tube is kinda cute, and pretty girly. I like the design n'at, and the size is perfect, it doesn't take up too much space in my precious mascara drawer.

I'm not a fan of this mascara's brush. City Curls' "curved brush evenly coats lashes for up to 20% wider eye look". What? NYC can you even grammar? NYC also claims that this brush will "take your lashes from natural to naughty in one clean sweep." The brush is curved and made of traditional bristles, which get shorter as the brush tapers. The bristles are way too close together on the thinner portion on the brush, especially on the tip of the brush. Hello clumps. The brush comes out loaded with product. Because of the clumping, this brush doesn't coat lashes evenly at all. I don't know if NYC knows that naughty and clumpy aren't synonyms. They don't seem to have passed English class, so they may be genuinely confused. Either way, this brush isn't good at all.
Because of the clumpage, this mascara is a pain to apply. The tip of the brush tends to poke and leave marks on my eyelids. I also have to wipe the brush with a kleenex before application. The curved shape makes it hard to wiggle through the lashes. It makes it even harder to make full, complete sweeps. Instead you end up doing awkward half sweeps. Awkwardness never wins any points when it comes to mascara application. This isn't my first curved brush mascara, so it's not like I don't know what to do with a curved brush. In fact I prefer them. My favorite mascara for like 3 or 4 years was Great Lash Curved. I've never had such weird application issues before though.
I never apply more than one coat of this mascara. It'd be far too clumpy. The color really is "extreme black". It's very dark, which is a great bonus. However the rest of the results are pretty poor. NYC lays down several claims, such as 70% more lift, 60% curlier, 20% wider eyes, etc. NO. Just no. The formula of this mascara is thick, heavy, and dry, leaving your lashes crunchy, clumpy, weighed down, and straight. Not curled. That is the opposite of what it is supposed to do. NYC also claims that this mascara's formula contains Vitamin E and panthenol to strengthen your lashes and keep them supple. I have my doubts, considering how hard and crispy City Curls makes your lashes. I see healthy oils and such in the ingredients, but this can't possible be a healthy mascara.
NYC says the formula is also flake and smudge proof. Once again, no. This mascara wears very poorly. It flakes off completely within 3 or 4 hours. But really, it doesn't smudge. That doesn't make up for the incredibly bad flaking though. The packaging claims that City Curls is safe for those with sensitive eyes, and it doesn't irritate my eyes, but it does make my lashes very, very itchy and uncomfortable.
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just straight up hatin' on NYC's City Curls mascara, but it just doesn't work for me at all. It clumps and gives the opposite effect that it promises. Don't worry though, the clumps will flake off after a while, and then the rest of the mascara will follow shortly afterwards. I've never tried any of NYC's mascaras before and I'm not sure if I'm willing to try another one. I advise you to skip City Curls, don't let the cute name draw you in. It's just not a good mascara. City Curls has made me nervous about trying mascaras from other super budget brands like Wet n Wild and ELF. I really don't like this product, and will likely toss it out right away.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 10:41:00 PM More reviews by mizzbouvier14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been on a tight budget, so I pretty much bought the cheapest mascara I could find.. and I'm so glad that I did it! It has a nice brush, and it curls nicely. Will purchase this again! ]

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 9:06:00 AM More reviews by luna17

I was given this as a gift. It works better than lash blast, and all the other drugstore mascaras. It lifts eyelashes and works great on outer corners. Even my boyfriend noticed