November 28, 2014 | 1264 users online

Fragrances - Thierry Mugler - Angel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2014 7:43:00 PM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

EDIT on 11-14-14:
Ok, so I vowed with my November challenge to give this one another try (if you see my review below, you'll know why I needed to!!). Since originally trying Angel a few years ago I have fallen in love with several other Muglers, but was really scared to try this one again.

So, here's my new take on it....
So far, I definitely think LESS IS MORE with this one. I started yesterday with about 2 half spritzes and that was enough. I get caramel, chocolate, and patchouli for the most part in varying degrees of strength. The entire drydown is a nice warm amber-patch on me, and it lasts about 6 hours with these 2 half spritzes. I think trying it in cold weather and going very easy it on it made a huge difference. This is a powerhouse for sure, and not to be spritzed with abandon.

I tried the body cream last night and was pleasantly surprised at how citrusy it is in the opening. Hmm very interesting.

So...my review below that said I will NEVER EVER purchase this again? Well, I'm happy to say that I was wrong (and no dead rodent accord this time---I pretty much got no cotton candy at all, which was what I was worried about). What a pleasant turnaround for me. :)

(original review below):
I really wanted to love this. I've had samples several times, thinking my reaction to it will change. Alas, that is not to be.

I realize that fragrance is so subjective, and everyone's mileage may vary...and everyone's noses and chemistry create all sorts of unique lovely scents on the skin.

On my skin, Angel started out as sweaty feet (patchouli) and turned to rotting little rodents (caramel, sugar, and patchouli). I'm not sure why this processes in this manner on my body and to my nose, but it's horrific and disgusting.

It gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase 'scrubber'.

My mom likes it, it smells great on her. I will say, the bottle is beautiful. But I will never, EVER, repurchase Angel again.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2014 7:59:00 PM More reviews by McSwimmer

OMG! If this was the last fragrance on the face of the earth, I wouldn't come near it with a 10 foot pole! If this was the last fragrance on the face of the earth, I would use it to exterminate insects in a field of wheat or corn! Crop dusting, anyone? When Janet Jackson sang her song, "Nasty", she had to be singing about this stuff. My mom always told me that, "If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it". Obviously I didn't listen to my mother. If I could rate this a MINUS TEN, I would.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

Note: Please read FruitDiet and threejane's reviews of this scent (most helpful). Both are accurate and hilarious.

EDIT 3.5.14: Am I the only one who gets a weird Avon Skin So Soft vibe from this? You know, the stuff you rub on kids to keep mosquitos away. It's not unpleasant, just kind of uncanny.

Arguably the most misnamed scent of all time. Thierry Mugler's Angel is a lusty, heady fragrance. There is nothing innocent about it. It opens aggressively and intoxicates the wearer. Upon initial spray, I did not like this scent at all, yet I kept sniffing my wrist as though I couldn't help myself. For the first few hours of wear, this is a hardcore patchouli scent on me. There is something very carnal about it. It is musky and sweet. The drydown alone is worth 5 lippies IMHO. All the beautiful chocolate, vanilla, and candy notes come out and it becomes a very cozy scent, but not "cuddle with a blanket" cozy; more like "spooning after hours of sex" cozy. Despite the gourmand notes, I do not find this to be a foody scent. The sweetness is complex and transcends all the trite dessert-like perfumes out there.

Don't be fooled by the baby blue star. This is a perfume for your dark side.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 6:08:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I bought this as soon as it came out years ago and liked it in the store. Unfortunately I should have waited because I detested it after wearing it for awhile on my skin.
It comes off on my skin as all patchouli & burnt sugar. I am not a huge fan of patchouli so I am afraid my review might be biased. I have smelled this on other people and liked it but on me it was truly disgusting. I ended up giving it away after a few months of trying.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by clearskinlover1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Haven't been on makeupalley in forever but wanted to give this a great review!! I get a burst of citrusy chocolately freshness that is very unique every time I apply. I am going to order another angel because mine is getting low! I recommend to all of my friends and they are always complimenting me!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2014 4:42:00 AM More reviews by delimonk

I've been wearing this perfume since buying it from Duty Free in 1997. I don't, can't & won't wear any other perfume ever I love it so much! People always comment & compliment me & it's definitely my signature smell. It's a little bit on the pricey side but if you have refillable bottles you can save a small fortune. I'll never wear another perfume.

I always feel this scent smells nicer the longer you have it on... it's quite a strong perfume which becomes more subtle & sensual as time goes on.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Cuteiswhatiaimfor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Been wearing this fragrance for years and totally love it!! It's sweet and sensual! It's quite a heave perfume but I like that and I like that you can smell it all day! I know a lot of people don't like it but that just makes it more appealing to me! They say your either an angel or an alien you either like one or the other and I totally agree! Don't like alien at all but total opposite with my cousin! The only bad thing I can say about this is, I was on the last bus into town at night and a hooker (mutton dressed as lamb must have been about 50) got on and she reeked of the stuff and it put me off for about a month! But other than that great perfume and none of my friends wear it so I stand out rather than those disgusting fruity scents that are so popular with my generation! Seriously DKNY apple makes me sick! Worst one of all so if you like more sensual and feminine fragrances try this!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2013 2:12:00 AM More reviews by eatmyshort

based on all the reviews here, I went to try it out. Just as described. All the young reviewers say it smells like barf while the older folks says it is heavenly. That pretty much sums it up.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by PrincessKim

Oh, man, this stuff is awful. I got all excited about the chocolate and vanilla, but the patchouli just comes in like a drunk friend throwing up all over you on your wedding day, ruining all the sweetness and light, bringing resentment and sadness. I once knew a sad bartender who slept in the same bed as her teenaged son; she wore Thierry Mugler Angel. That pretty much sums up how skeevy and itchy this fragrance seems to me. I would not repurchase this. The tester spray was enough.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Angel is a bold fragrance, which pits fruity topnotes against a gourmand background of vanilla and chocolate liberally doused in patchouli. Another way to describe it would be to call it patchouli scented cotton candy. IT'S WONDERFUL.