November 23, 2014 | 2082 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Paula's Choice - Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by jasroach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Water, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, PEG-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Glyceryl Stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Ceteareth-20, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by julia_s

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is amazing - it has only one shortcoming: it's no better than another product at the tenth of the price. (Can't stand the suspense? Read the next line : )

Performance: Yes, Shine Stopper does an excellent job of keeping your skin matte. I have a super oily t-zone and this primer helps keep me shine-free for about 3 or 4 hours (Your millage may very depending on how oily your skin is, whether you use an ultra-matte foundation too etc.) The only problem? Milk of Magnesia does exactly the same thing without the $17 price tag.

Texture/Finish: Shine Stopper has a surprising texture - it comes out as a very light, fluid lotion that blends super easily on skin before setting to a invisible matte finish on skin. Seriously, once this stuff sets on to skin you'll never find it again. This is its main advantage over MoM - with MoM I find that unless I use an *ultra* thin layer, then blend with a wet sponge, I always get a white, slightly chalky layer on my skin. So if you need to use a primer alone (without foundation on top) I think Shine Stopper would work better than MoM for you.

Packaging: Shine stopper comes in a tube packaging with a small, precise nozzle-tip opening which I find very user friendly (unlike say, L'Oreal's base, which also performs nicely but the jar packaging means product often gets under my nails.)

Overall: I would have given Shine Stopper a 5 AND repurchased if I hadn't been introduced to Milk of Magnesia (by Ms Begoun herself - an irony of Shakespearean proportions). BUT I still give this product a four because it, along with MoM, is the best oil-control primer I've triede PLUS it's invisible on skin. So if you are allergic to MoM, don't like the white finish MoM gives you, or are morally opposed to putting laxative on your face, give Shine Stopper a try - I'm pretty sure most of you with oily skin will love it.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by polarpooch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have extremely, insanely oily skin, so i am always realistic about "oil control" products. this one is pretty good. i didn't find it did anything under my makeup, so i tried applying it OVER makeup. that's when i realized its potential for my routine. i get oily about 2-3 hours into the day. when that happens, i blot with papers, then apply a pea sized amount with a sponge in my t-zone. it does keep the oil at bay for about 3-4 hours when i apply it. i usually blot one more time and apply again, and find i can get nearly a whole workday out of two applications (i work 14 hour days). it's much better than pressed powder, because it doesn't cake and cause color disruption. this makes my foundation last longer, too, because the oil is not constantly degrading my makeup. as an added bonus, it smooths over large pores, making them appear smaller. i have tried it all at this point, including "anti-shine" from smashbox. i like this a lot better. it's not a miracle, but it has certainly become an effective tool in my daily routine because it helps make my face look better with makeup. BTW, my 1-2-3 for oil-control makeup is ELDW light (doesn't degrade in the presence of oil), blotting papers (like PC papers or Clean and Clear) and this. it keeps me pretty much shine free all day.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

Shine Stopper does exactly what it claims - provides a matte finish when applied under makeup, reduces the appearance of pores, and I have noticed that I don't need to apply powder as frequently when using this on my T-zone. I like the tube packaging which is great for travel. My skin is sensitive and this seems to be hypo-allergenic and does not have any fragrance. My skin is combination rather than super oily, and I find this product very helpful. It is supposed to last for about six hours and that seems accurate on my skin - might be less effective if your skin is super oily. I apply under foundation, and I use more than a pea-sized amount, more like 2 peas.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by connect16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been holding off this review for a few months since I received the product, but I can confidently say that this is the perfect solution to my oily, oily skin! I have always had an extremely oily t-zone and my nose particularly liked to glisten before noon. I would have droplets of oil on my nose, which exacerbated the size of my pores - really nasty! However, I started using this product (didn't have to use a wet sponge) and my problems were solved! No more oilyness and it lasts up to 8-10 hours. I simply put spots of it in my t-zone and my cheekbones, then rubbed and patted it in. It doesn't look too nice at first since it kinda makes my face look dry right after cleansing, but after a few hours, it starts soaking up the oils and provides a really nice sheen to my skin. No breakouts or irritation (but can sting a little bit if my skin is too dry after cleansing). The one thing I need to point out is that the cap can barely stay on. I would twist and twist but the cap would just keep falling off, so now I have to be very careful it doesn't open while in my drawer, and getting exposed to contaminants. However, I didn't take any stars off since I'm reviewing the formulation, not the packaging. Another great product, Paula + team!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by VictoriaJane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this-I'm on my second tube & have a back-up at the ready. My favorite thing about this is how comfortable it makes my face feel. I just can't stand that greasy feeing I always get towards the end of the day on my chin, nose, & eyelids. This does the trick. You have to use plenty, & have to be careful how you apply it (smoothing it on quickly over small areas works best for me). I've also tried L'Oreal studio secrets, & I like the texture/cleanliess (no dipping fingers into the jar) to be a big plus.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2012 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Harlot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a brilliant product. Very lightweight, NO perfume scent, dries almost instantly and packaged in a tube with a small tip that allows you to squeeze out about a pea size and no more. That`s about how much you need for your entire face. I apply it under a very lightweight, non greasy tinted sunscreen because I don`'t wear make up, and it keeps me shine free for 4 hours ( as opposed to 1hour without it) One thing I noticed, is after the oil does starts coming through 4 hours later, if I lightly blot my skin with a blotting tissue, my skin stays shine free for another 4 hours without reapplying it. I`ve also tried applying it after moisturizers, foundation, concealers etc, and it doesn`t work as well. It does works remarkably well on bare on nearly bare skin though. I`ll be really distressed if they ever stop making this, as i`ve tried about 8 other different high end brand of "mattifiers" and there is no other that even remotely rivals it...

*Helpful Hint*
Paulas website offers samples of this for less than a dollar each, so I often include a couple in my order for carrying in my purse. You get about 6-7 applications out of each sample for chin, nose and forehead touch ups if you have no powder or blotting papers handy or are unable to wash your face again at the end of a long day. Just fold the sample package and tape it at the end so it doesn`t dry out and you can reuse it at a later date...

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Just as PC 2% BHA liquid is my indispensable skincare product, Shine Stopper is my indispensable cosmetic product. My face starts looking shiny half an hour after I wash it. This is the only product that makes a significant difference. The key to success is to put on enough of it--apply it the way they're always telling us to apply sunscreen. Result: many shine-free hours and smaller-looking pores, smoother-looking skin. EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind when applying: don't try to rub it in! It will ball up and pill. Just "skim" it lightly over your face. It's really worth it--I feel almost normal (skin-wise, at least!) when I use it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by citylady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This just didn't work for me. My skin gets shiny in the summer, despite using powder. I saw no difference using this.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/1/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by erin1025

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This flat out doesn't work. I contacted the company and they told me they've had a lot of complaints that it doesn't work and suggested I put it on after foundation instead of before. Since I don't wear foundation, I decided to throw it in the trash instead. I could have returned it but with the cost of return shipping it wasn't worth it.