April 21, 2014 | 950 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Paula's Choice - Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by VictoriaJane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this-I'm on my second tube & have a back-up at the ready. My favorite thing about this is how comfortable it makes my face feel. I just can't stand that greasy feeing I always get towards the end of the day on my chin, nose, & eyelids. This does the trick. You have to use plenty, & have to be careful how you apply it (smoothing it on quickly over small areas works best for me). I've also tried L'Oreal studio secrets, & I like the texture/cleanliess (no dipping fingers into the jar) to be a big plus.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2012 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Harlot

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a brilliant product. Very lightweight, NO perfume scent, dries almost instantly and packaged in a tube with a small tip that allows you to squeeze out about a pea size and no more. That`s about how much you need for your entire face. I apply it under a very lightweight, non greasy tinted sunscreen because I don`'t wear make up, and it keeps me shine free for 4 hours ( as opposed to 1hour without it) One thing I noticed, is after the oil does starts coming through 4 hours later, if I lightly blot my skin with a blotting tissue, my skin stays shine free for another 4 hours without reapplying it. I`ve also tried applying it after moisturizers, foundation, concealers etc, and it doesn`t work as well. It does works remarkably well on bare on nearly bare skin though. I`ll be really distressed if they ever stop making this, as i`ve tried about 8 other different high end brand of "mattifiers" and there is no other that even remotely rivals it...

*Helpful Hint*
Paulas website offers samples of this for less than a dollar each, so I often include a couple in my order for carrying in my purse. You get about 6-7 applications out of each sample for chin, nose and forehead touch ups if you have no powder or blotting papers handy or are unable to wash your face again at the end of a long day. Just fold the sample package and tape it at the end so it doesn`t dry out and you can reuse it at a later date...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Just as PC 2% BHA liquid is my indispensable skincare product, Shine Stopper is my indispensable cosmetic product. My face starts looking shiny half an hour after I wash it. This is the only product that makes a significant difference. The key to success is to put on enough of it--apply it the way they're always telling us to apply sunscreen. Result: many shine-free hours and smaller-looking pores, smoother-looking skin. EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind when applying: don't try to rub it in! It will ball up and pill. Just "skim" it lightly over your face. It's really worth it--I feel almost normal (skin-wise, at least!) when I use it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by citylady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This just didn't work for me. My skin gets shiny in the summer, despite using powder. I saw no difference using this.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/1/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by erin1025

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This flat out doesn't work. I contacted the company and they told me they've had a lot of complaints that it doesn't work and suggested I put it on after foundation instead of before. Since I don't wear foundation, I decided to throw it in the trash instead. I could have returned it but with the cost of return shipping it wasn't worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2011 7:36:00 PM More reviews by websterboy20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I don't review a lot of products, even though I try out a TON. This one is worth documenting my experience over, however. This product is great...if you're not going to wear foundation. Even a light layer of loose powder looks dry and flaked over the Shine Stopper. So, what do I use this for? I use this if I know I'm not going to be wearing makeup that day. I apply it right after my daily facial sunscreen, and it does indeed keep my skin more matte than if I had not used it. However, I wear makeup most of the time, so that means this product is just collecting dust a lot of the time, given that any type of foundation does not apply all that well over it, given my experience. Still, a great product if you don't wear makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2011 2:12:00 PM More reviews by wdp1967

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had oily skin forever, and as I've gotten older the oiliness has subsided but never gone away. I can't say enough about how amazing this is at completely curbing my oily skin into submission. Amazing stuff! Make sure you use a full pea size - no skimping for the full effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Arosci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this stuff since its launch in January 2011, but I've waited a long time before leaving a feedback because I had a love/hate relationship with it.

I have an oily skin with very oily areas (like my nose which is as shiny as a discoball about 2 hours after washing).

This product has really good points :
- nice lighweight creamy consistency,
- leaves an invisible finish,
- blurs pores,
- does not dry skin (almost the most important point for my easily dehydrated skin),
- controls oils for several hours (but not more than 3-4 hours when the weather is hot and humid).

The bad points I noticed :
- the cream formula can leave streaks if massaged for too long,
- all powders do not cling well to it,
- can flake if I use too much (depending on how I apply it, I'll explain why later).

I've used it several ways : with a flat top brush, a concealer/foundation brush, a taklon powder brush, a dual fiber brush and my fingers.

The best way to get a smooth finish was the concealer/foundation brush but I tend to use too much and it flaked when I applied powder.

The best matte finish was when I used my fingers, I used less product (and it did not flake anymore) but I needed to dab dab dab dab or I did not get a smooth surface. Then a Paula's fan said on PC's facebook page that she used a makeup sponge (I did not try this way)... what a difference !!!

Since, I've used the Shine Stopper only with makeup sponges (either latex or non-latex), dabbing it gently, layering it on the oiliest areas, and the finish is flawless each time, with a smooth matte surface, no more streaking, no more flaking, and my powder clings far better to it :-)

PS : I cannot rate this as a foundation primer as I don't wear foundation anymore.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by ShailahJade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I guess I'm the odd one out. My entire face was shiny less than two hours after I used this product. I gave it 2 lippies because of the nice texture, but it's just not worth it for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2011 8:48:00 PM More reviews by queijada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have an oily t-zone & cheeks. This stuff does what it says it will, and then some--I was able to go more than 6 hours without oiliness everywhere except my forehead. Pore minimizing? Meh. It is a light formula, not as slick feeling as Smashbox Photofinish primer or Monistat, but it is instantly mattifying and a little goes a long way to create a smooth surface. The tube should last for awhile. I like that it has no fragrance. Paula's Choice has been having better offers lately; I got this, sunscreen & self-tanner for 30% off with free shipping. I also saw a deal where shipping was free for orders over $20; this is $21.95 at full price. My HG will keep my forehead matte for 6+ hours; until I find it, I'll use this.