October 1, 2014 | 1691 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Original SPF 15 Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by angelicafabrey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I've never been a fan of liquid foundations and i was searching for a new powder base foundation to replace my old one. Heard good reviews on this so i decided to try it out. The first time i tried it, i noticed a very strong mineral smell which lasted almost the whole day and it really put me off. I decided to give it another go and weirdly, the smell disappeared on my second day of use. I kind of like this foundation coz it didnt break me out and the coverage is just nice, nothing too heavy which I like. I have combination skin so this product didnt make my t-zone oily either.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by BeccahH

I still have containers of this makeup in my drawers. Idk, it worked great for me during my twenties, but the year after I turned 30, it was over. The foundation became very very aging. I definitely can no longer use this during the winter time. In the summers, I can use it hwne it's face melting hot & nothing else will stay on. That's the only time I would recommend this & also there ARE many high quality, cheaper mineral makeup alternative on the market now: like Everyday Minerals. Use my code at Iherb.com for $5-$10 off your first order: REB607

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2013 5:38:00 AM More reviews by DivaFabuLiz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

It feels almost blasphemous to say this about this celebrated "must have" that every beautician (at least in Sweden) raves about, but it really doesn't work for me. At all.

1) the shades that have enough yellow for my very yellow medium skin tone are too light, and the darker shades (tan and up) are too reddish and the result is an unnatural 80s orange look, not at all the natural glowing youthful one I expected. The "matching" concealer shades are way too light, and every single one has reddish undertones that look absoultely awful with yellow skin.

2) I have oily skin, and still this stuff leaves a too powdery finish that also looks a bit dated and ages me by about 15 years. It's actually the one product that can make my oily skin look dry!

3) it has no coverage at all, no matter whether I swirl tap and buff until I self combust or just swirl on a single layer. In terms of coverage it does absolutely nothing for me. Dark under eye circles? Still there (yes I have the concealer too). Uneven skintone? Still there and quite accentuated by the poorly matching way too reddish shade too! Blemishes? Still there and covered by product that gathers in little clusters around every impurity.

I think this is a pretty packaged but highly overrated and overpriced product. When it came out, it might have been revolutionary, but it's 2013 and most regular liquid foundations are now made with better, more skin friendly ingedients and offer better shade
matching, longevity and coverage.

I'm just disappointed that In spent so much on BM-products hoping the results would improve once I got the hang of using them and/or if I used different brushes and other add ons. Don't make the same mistake!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/23/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by productjunkieee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to love BE foundation when I was in high school and used it all the time. I took a long hiatus from it and thought I'd give it a go again to relieve my skin of liquid foundations to find my skin no longer likes it. I got these tiny bumps on the lower half of my face and my skin was itchy as well. My skin was also more dull the day after. What happened?! Granted, my skin condition got better after a day or 2 but this happened every time I tried to use it.

The actual coverage is wonderful and the color is pretty forgiving as long as it's applied gradually. You can layer it on for sheer to medium-full coverage. Skin looks pretty nice for a powder foundation and has a luminosity to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by breeolvera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So I've been wanting to give my skin a break from the full coverage liquids, because they can take a toll on the skin, so I began the experiment with minerals. The thing with this foundation is that you really need the brushes. For some reason any other brush I use won't give a good finish or coverage. Also I don't think if you have redness with product alone isn't for you I use the mineral concealer they also sell with the recommended brush and I got the coverage I desired. It last about 8 hours but of you use the primer it boost it to about 14 hours. It's very light feeling on the face and looks like skin. I won't be commited to minerals forever though because I'm a very busy women so I need very long wearing and great coverage makeup that's easy to apply and I can't use highlighting pens with this foundation.

At the end of the day if your just the average woman I do 100% recommend this.

Ps my mother and sister and I have different coverage needs and skin types and it works for all of us.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 1:07:00 AM More reviews by KBaylie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Made me shiny, broke me out, and made my face itch!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2013 7:38:00 PM More reviews by lipstickthespian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this product. I have bought it on 2 different occasions and I can't understand the hype. It looked thick and cakey . Even when I just used a tiny bit I still couldn't achieve the light coverage I was wanting.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by ichigocutie

I develop a sensitivity to silicone in beauty products switch all my skincare to silicone free products but its almost impossible to find a silicone free liquid foundation and the one without have mineral oil or Shea butter as the emollient ingredients to replace the silicone and lucky me,I'm also sensitive to those ingredients. So I dig my stash found this mineral foundation and I did research about how mineral makeup never expire. This foundation have high medium coverage and the way I apply to get the most coverage is I use the Sonia Kashuk flat top multi purpose brush and I spray it with setting spray like the Mac fix+ and buff it in small section. It'll take longer time but the result is flawless. I also make sure to spray setting spray to tame down the powdery look. If you have sensitive skin use synthetic brush,avoid using the brush that come with the kit it can irritate the skin and make it itchy and cause acne. It's all about the method of applying the foundation,once you find what suit you,you'll like this foundation especially for the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2013 11:39:00 AM More reviews by tabulous77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Discovering BE was literally life changing. I don't have the greatest skin, so foundation has always been a must for me. That being said, I've tried every liquid foundation out there from really expensive to really cheap and nothing was ever perfect but settled on Clinique. Application would sometimes take 20-40 minutes. I felt like a slave to it but at the same time I needed it. Then I saw BE's infomercial and decided to give it a go. I did it wrong at first but watched the video and tried again and wow! it's been over 10 years and I've never gone back to liquid. I always get compliments on my skin. ppl say it looks flawless, they say say I glow. I just St thank you but inside in thinking if you only knew! Application only takes about two minutes and I get to move on with my life. And here's the best part: mineral foundation is not a top secret formula. It must not be hard to figure out because I decided to give NYC formula a few years ago and I couldn't tell a differences. I think they quit making it though, so I this Avon and is great too and way way cheaper! in totally sold on mineral makeup and have no desire to ever use anything else!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by ctregower

I bought this from Sephora while studying abroad in California. I needed a darker (shade) and lighter (texture) foundation to fix the tandem problem of getting a tan and not needing as much coverage. I'd also ended my 5 year love affair with liquid foundations prior to flying out, so was looking for an alternative to the fairly greasy BB cream that was my interim care-giver.

On the first day I used Bare Minerals, I was very pleased. Just a small amount gave me an incredible smooth finish, and I didn't need to reapply all day. It didn't neutralise the shine on my forehead nearly as well as my old friend translucent powder, but that was just a minor niggle.

For the next few days, I enjoyed my new complexion, but then the rose tinted goggles wore off a little and I noticed that my skin was considerably duller at night after taking off my make up, and a few days later, that I was getting little red pimples on my chin and forehead (a seldom occurrence for me). So, with a heavy heart I knew what I had to do. I had to renounce the Minerals - at least from daily wear.

My skin is much healthier and happier after quitting all foundation, but if it were a special occasion I would certainly use Bare Minerals and a little highlighter to even my complexion and make my skin glow. The finish and coverage is beautiful, but unfortunately, my skin does not like to hang out with it for extended periods (as it hasn't liked to hang out with most foundations I've introduced it to...).