I got this as I'd heard rave reviews about BareMinerals so when I saw the starter kit at duty free, I thought I'd give it a shot.
This product did not give enough coverage for me and I felt that the powder wasn't buildable. I watched the bareminerals tutorials for their products and they said you could use this as a concealer... It provided me with no coverage, maybe it reduced some redness but that was it!
I occasionally use this as a setting powder but never alone.
Also, I didn't like the twist dispenser, it was too time-consuming! Would've been a lot better if they'd copied the Smashbox Halo powder dispenser.
Wouldn't repurchase as this didn't work for me.
I'm on my 5th jar of this powder. Its simply amazing! I recently discovered better powders (Ben Nye - Banana Powder , Benefit - Hello Flawless powder) but I've been loving this for ages!
+ Good Coverage Defo Build-able!
+ Reflects light, so under eye circles blemishes etc are not visible
+ The packaging is amazing! It closes unlike some other loose powders!
+ You get quite a lot of product
+ Looks better on its own (without liquid foundation under)
+ Brushes are included in the starter kit!
+ Stays in place the whole day
- You have to put heaps on to get a full coverage
- Because it reflects light it can look very shiny/ oily
- After a whole day at school I had to make touch ups because it was shiny
- Doesn't look good with a foundation underneath
- Sometimes makes under eye area look really dry
Overall I would repurchase! Im the shade Fairly Light ( MAC NC15)
About me: NW10-15 (neutral-cool toned, very fair), blue eyes, Color season is True Summer, Baumann Skin Type is OSPW.
Having tried a number of high end foundations (MAC Beauty Balm, MAC Studio Sculpt, MAC Studio Fix Fluid, MAC Mineralize Cream, MAC Studio Tech Cream, MUFE Mat Velvet, BE Original, MUFE HD, DiorSkin Extreme Wear, Bobbi Brown Skin liquid and cream compact), and drug store foundations (Meow Mineral, Revlon Colorstay, Revlon PhotoReady liquid and compact, Cover Girl Simply Ageless, LíOreal True Match liquid and cream compact, EDM, Alima Mineral), this foundation stands out in a positive way. I have worn it off and on for years. But it is not my HG.
I have combination skin, and don't like to have too many layers (moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, foundation) on my face, so I love it when my primer/foundation combinations accomplish these goals:
1) Sophisticated Formula: a light-weight formula that feels nice on my face and isnít cakey, oily, or highlighting dry patches;
2) Adjustable Coverage: a light-to-medium coverage foundation that can be built up enough to cover under eye circles and acne scarring (eliminates the need for concealer);
3) Low Maintenance: has enough oil-control for my T-zone, lasts throughout the day without the need for serious touch ups, and doesnít transfer;
4) Ideal Color: product line has a shade that is as close to a perfect color match on my skin as possible;
5) Skin Care: cannot break me out or change my skin condition (make more dry/oily) over weeks of continual wear.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: packaging cannot be difficult to travel with, create a mess on my counter, or be wasteful of the product.
*Bonus points for high levels of sunscreen.
How did this foundation measure up?
1) Sophisticated Formula: (YES) I love BE Original for its light-weight formula and the satin finish it gives, especially when applied with a silicone-based primer and/or MAC Fix+ spray on your brush. This is probably one of the lightest feeling foundations Iíve tried.
2) Adjustable Coverage: (YES) I also love how I can build the coverage up, especially when applied wet with MAC Fix+ spray, and donít need concealer for my under eye circles and acne scars.
3) Low Maintenance: (OK) Without a primer, this foundation did get oily around my T-Zone after about 6-8 hours. Did get cakey when I touched it up. With a primer, it got oily after 10+ hours. Therefore, I would not call this a long-wear foundation for those with combination or oily skin. But looked good for most of the day. Would need to wash face and reapply for an evening event.
4) Ideal Color: (NO) I wore Golden Light for a year, and tried Fairly Light. Similar matching issues as with MAC foundations, too pigmented in color and shades too dramatic to look natural. Golden Light looks very pale and slightly yellow on my skin, but Fairly Light is too NW15 peach/orange/pink/cheese colored for my neck. I would say Golden Light is the best match, but does not look natural. Fairly Light looked nice after I have had a spray tan.
5) Skin Care: (NO) Had out-of-the-ordinary cystic acne break outs from time to time while wearing this.
6) Thoughtful Packaging: (OK) Loose powder is just messy and undesirable, but at least they include a sifter with a lock.
*Sunscreen: spf15, which is not very much IMO, considering you are trying to go as light as possible with how much you apply.
Bottom Line: I really like the BE formula. Will keep a little bit of Fairly Light around for summer vacations for when I am tanner and want a natural look. But it is not my HG because it does not wear all day on my combination skin, does not have a good color match, and does break me out from time to time.
Ever since trying this loose powder, I have never looked back! Recently I tried another brand and regretted it immediately. I ended up back with the Bare Minerals within a week. It has amazing coverage, but like most powders, doesn't leave your skin looking dry. I'm fair, but use Medium Beige and love it! Also contains SPF.
Great product! Mineral makeup is the way to go if you have oily skin. Primer is a must or it will slide off my face in a few hours. My one gripe is that this stuff gets everywhere. It's actually settled high up on the walls of my bathroom. I should probably use the vent when I apply.
Covers blemishes well
My mom and grandma have been going on and on about how this foundation is their HG foundation, so I was dying to try it out! They are blessed with naturally tan skin, but I do love my porcelain skin quite a lot. I went to Ulta and found that the color 'Fair' matched my skin tone... but was a tad bit too dark. Since this is a major problem in all of the face makeup products I've purchased, I was a bit let down. I still tried it though! I immediately fell in love...
....until I saw my face that afternoon. I was an insane oil slick! I'll tell you, I've tried EVERYTHING with this product. No concealer, concealer, a lighter application, heavier application, pressed powder, no pressed powder, primer, no primer, and everything in between! Even when I apply the foundation I've found that the coverage and look just is a terrible combination. The color is also TOO DARK. :( I think its a shame that most makeup companies leave out the insanely porcelain girls! I also have very dry eczema spots and very sensitive skin. (Terrible combination; very oily skin, sensitive skin, and dry eczema spots.) And I found that it still looked terrible, but worked well for my sensitive skin.
If you don't have paper-white skin, not that much too cover, and aren't very oily than this product could be your HG product!
I have changed foundation many times over the years. I 've continued using this the longest for the light, full coverage on my aging skin.
I use this foundation only during the day. It is lightweight, the coverage is medium, it blends well, however, there is a bit of shininess, especially on my T zone and it worsens in the end of the day.
Taking pictures with it is not a good idea, since I get flash back, I avoid using it to go out.
I might try their matte product to see if its better, because I have combo to oily skin.
I would repurchase because its a good organic product to use it daily.
Bare Minerals Original SPF 15 is generally a good product. It is light weight, long-lasting, and easy to use. This product is best for women with dry-to-oily skin and blemish-free. However, if you are suffering with acne and want to COMPLETELY cover them up, go with a foundation that is right for you. Bare Minerals can stop oil from building up, but the cover is very light if you have acne.
This product is great for all skin types i use it with my mineral veil from the same brand and it gives me a flawless look. If you want a matte look i suggest getting the matte foundation. But i like this one because if i suddenly want a matte look i can use my E.L.F HD powder and mattify it ; witch u cannot do with the matte powder. This is pricey but will maybe repurchase. Im an NC 45 im the winter and NW 46 in the rest of the year, im also a 6.5 ( Bobbi Brown). The shade Golden dark W40 fits me perfectly. Ive never used this foundation in the winter so i mught need some lighter countouring and stuff to even it out. But i overall love this product.