October 1, 2014 | 1753 users online

Lip Treatments - Burt's Bees - Tinted Lip Balm

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 5:23:00 AM More reviews by blondebum

Having already loved the original Burt's Bees lip balm i decided to try the tinted collection and see what all the hype was about. I bought the color 'Tiger Lily' which is a nude color that i can wear day and night and makes my lips appear fuller. It moisturizes and conditions my chapped lips while also providing an even coverage. So happy to have bought this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 12:47:00 AM More reviews by zcoop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried a few of the tinted lip balms out when they were first released and I liked the colors and the great combo of shine/matte and the near-perfect amount of tint. In the past year I've gone searching for better and different alternatives and decided to try as many different types and brands of chubby lip colors as I could find.

Surprisingly, none of the chubby lipsticks are really as easy, inexpensive and well-pigmented (without a blinding amount of shine after the necessary amount of coverage) as the Burt's Bees lip balms!

The pros of this product are the new colors like Sweet Violet and the still-great colors like Rose and Red Dahlia; somehow they all work with my super-fair skin and are just simply more attractive on than similarly-shaded lipsticks and chubby sticks. I like the simple cardboard packaging and the chapstick-style tubes. They offer a tasteless, odorless moisturizer for the lips that is simple to reapply without a mirror. They do need to be reapplied fairly often but some of the color stays behind after the moisture is gone but fades easily without any cleaners.

One con is in Burt's Bees' refusal to put a strip or dot of color on the plastic shell; it's a pain to have to read the tiny letters against the dark brown plastic, and from a few inches away it's impossible to tell what color/s you're grabbing.

The only other cons are just that this product is so almost-perfect and could easily get there, but I'm not sure if the company plans to give them a little more pigment (thus making them an obvious and real competitor for any truly popular stains and lip colors out there right now) and perhaps change the packaging to something a little more cosmetic-y.

I've tried the newer Burt's Bees lip products and they all have so much shine, so I'm really hoping they keep this one around and don't blend it into so many of their previous and newer lip shines.

I highly recommend giving these a try with and without makeup; they are great either way and the colors are unique. They are truly working with some gorgeous and extremely natural looking colors that no other company is using. They are relatively inexpensive (though small), and you just really can't go wrong--though I'm not a huge fan of the super-light/neutral shades simply because it's just like putting a clear glossy chap stick on, more or less. But anything from Pink Blossom on is just lovely and suited to any look.

After "kissing" a lot of well-reviewed and expensive lip-product "frogs," the tinted lip balm is definitely the unsung "prince"!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/10/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by berrycurious

Within 5-10 minutes, the color (I got hibiscus) is faded and my lips feel slightly drier than they were before applying this (though they look and feel lovely when I do put it on). After about an hour, my lips are so dry they flake up a bit--I constantly have to fix my lips by peeling off the dried skin or they look awful. Ugh. the pomegranate lip balm is def. better.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by bnanaphone246

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

We won't talk about how many of these I own. The rose shade was on clearance at target and I thought they were discontinuing it so I stocked up. Totally worth it. I like them better than their clear lip balms, plus the colors look great. They are one of the few lip balms I own that consistently make my lips feel better when I use them. They glide on sooo smoothly. I love them. They're a little pricey, but compared to a drugstore lipstick they're really quite affordable, considering you can kill 2 birds with one stone and just use this instead of lipstick and Chapstick. Plus compared to fresh sugar lip treatment theyre a total steal. I prefer the texture of these, its less waxy, and theres more color pigment. the cardboard tube they come in is stupid, but so are boxes and blister packs. At least the weird little cardboard tube is recyclable. Overall an excellent product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2013 7:50:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have these in 3 colours: Rose, Hibiscus and Tiger Lily. The Rose is by far my favorite, it is a true MLBB. Hibiscus I bought when the Rose one was sold out but is just a tad too light for me, I only use this in winter. The Tiger Lily one is a nice warm orangey-brown-pink, wearable the whole year. Texture is lovely and soft, my lips are nice and moisturized. Only con is that they don't contain any SPF which I think is a must these days.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by bloou

i think this is an awesome product! it moisturizes while giving a hint of color. people who expect this to have the pigmentation similar to the lip shimmers would be disappointed, but the lip balm aspect of this product is amazing! if people want more color, then definitely go for the lip shimmers. but if people are fine with a hint of color, this will deliver. first of, the formula is so smooth. if burt's bees had a colorless balm in this formula, i would definitely be buying. second, it moisturizes my lips with no waxy texture. third, i love the scent which i couldn't describe. i am a huge fan of BB lip products in general- i love the lip balms and lip shimmers- and this made me love BB lip products even more. the only thing that held me back for a while in purchasing is the price. it is kinda expensive. hopefully, they would come out with special offers.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by NotRichEnough

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Not only does this lip balm have NO staying power, after a week or so of daily use it actually made my lips dry and painful, which they have never been before. Guess it's back to the Bonne Bell Lipsmackers

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by kolwink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gosh, I'm conflicted. I like this product very much, but it's basically 5x the price of my old standby. What to do?

I always used to stock up on the 3-pack of ChapStick's Lip Moisturizer (the dark blue tube with the white cap) at Target ... I think it was $3-4 for the pack?

(BTW: ingredients for ChapStick's Lip Moisturizer are, as far as I can tell:

Octinoxate 7.5%; Oxybenzone (sunscreen) 3.5%; White petrolatum 40.7%; inactive ingredients: aloe barbadensis leaf extract, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, fragrance, isocetyl stearate, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, methylparaben, mineral oil, paraffin, propylparaben, tocopheryl linoleate/oleate, vitamin E, white wax)

Then I got the Burt's Bees "Tinted Lip Balm Duo", $10 for 2 tubes. That *is* 5x more expensive. Maybe I can square it with my conscience by giving something else up ...

I played around with Rose, Red Dahlia, Hibiscus, and Pink Blossom; ultimately, Rose looked the best, I thought. I love the hint of color; it enhances my lip color in that great "like my lips but better" way.

I'm also a fan of the way my lips feel after applying this product. Whereas the good ol' ChapStick made my lips feel slick- as if the petroleum jelly was sitting on the surface without penetrating- the Burt's Bees oils do seem to sink into my actual skin and leave my lips softer.

However: during the past 15 minutes, I applied the balm, thought that I was pretty happy with the product, decided to write this review, started writing this review, handled a quick work task, came back to the review, and realized that my lips were totally dry. That brief staying power kind of blows. When I'm essentially paying $1 for a tube (ChapStick), I don't care ... but it stings a bit more with the higher-priced Burt's Bees.

Quite a quandary. I am going to sit here and smell the Burt's Bees tube (can't identify the fragrance, but I do like it) and ponder this deep problem.

3-star rating due to short staying power;
3-star price rating (oh come ON, Burt, you know this is edging towards over-priced-ness);
1-star packaging rating for extra and unnecessarily (and misleadingly) large cardboard tube used to house an absolutely standard-sized 0.15oz tube.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2013 3:57:00 AM More reviews by prettyparul

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

The so called tint in the balm is non existent! I bought red dahlia since it's supposed to be the darkest tint & I have dark lips. I honestly cannot tell ANY color at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 More reviews by mooneyes89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hands down the most moisturizing lip product I have ever used. Way better than the non-pigmented lip balms! They feel buttery and rich, last a loooong time, and look juicy!

*Honeysuckle- Nude, amazing! (slight orange undertone and lighter than caramel daisey)
*Tiger Lily- Secod best!! peach nude
*Hibiscus- medium orange pink
*Pink Blossom- BEST! pretty candy pink, smells like bubblegum
*Rose- sheer light red, smells like red licorice
*Red Dahlia- sheer dark red

New collection: (no smell, and more sheer)
*Petunia- light pink, almost nude (unfortunatly), no smell. I really thought this was going to be a pretty pink, but it too light and washes out my face!!
*Caramel Daisey- true medium brown, no undertone like honeysuckle
*Sweet Violet- a bright medium purpelish pink

My favorite are pink blossom, honey suckle, and tiger lily. Red dahlia would look good on anyone, hibiscus would look good on medium skin tones, and rose I just dont like on my light skin tone, too bright of red.

Just bought caramel daisey and sweet violet, I love them! They both look amazing on my skin tone and probably any other!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No