October 30, 2014 | 1511 users online

Powder - Korres - Mineral Powder Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This wasn't a bad product. I switched to this from Bare Minerals... overall, I prefer Bare Minerals. This Korres foundation doesn't control oil as well as BE. The color is pretty good but if I start to sweat, it turns a little bit of a peachy orange (however, I used to get a much worse orange effect with BE, so it's a trade-off). This has a higher SPF and they give you more in the package, but the packaging isn't as portable as BE's (no click-lock in the Korres). One problem I had with this product was that I really wanted sheer, light coverage, but no matter how little I put on, it always looked like I had a full face of makeup. Also, I don't know if it was just me but I think this mildly irritated my skin. It didn't break me out or dry me out or anything, but I would always feel a slight tingle (not in a good way) almost like it was salty? If that makes any sense? Maybe it just didn't "breathe" enough. It feels heavier and more like a liquid than BE (even though it's powder).
The price wasn't bad, considering the large amount of product you get. I'm still shopping around for foundations. I like the idea of mineral foundation, but for some reason I can't seem to find any shade in any brand that doesn't make me look either orange or super pale (so I end up looking like either Snooki or Morticia Adams... not good!). Assuming you find a color that matches you well, I think this product would be a great alternative to BE for someone who has dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by canadian

I bought the color medium approximately a month and half ago but didn't want to review this product until I used it for awhile. It doesn't contain bismuth and I'm happy to say my sensitive skin hasn't reacted or broke out. Medium has some peachiness to it and I was a bit worried at first. However once applied it didn't look orange on my skin. My skin is sensitive, combination (dry cheeks, oily tzone). I use a mattifying moisturizer on my tzone otherwise this product tends to make these areas look a bit too shiny. I do need to use a concealer on my cheeks first due to broken capillaries, redness since this mineral fdtn doesn't totally cover this problem for me. After applying this mineral fdtn my skin looks fresh and not cakey. If I used a bit too much fdtn, I spay mineral water to pat it down. Overall I'm happy with this foundation.Great lightweight product for hot humid summers.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by mrlincoln

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Six months ago when I purchased this I would of gave it a rave review. Having lived in and with it for awhile, I can say I don't like the formula. No matter what moisturizer or primer I have under it, it's super dry and chalky. I can do a spritz of something on top and it just looks blotchy.

So wrong formula and wrong shade for me (medium beige). I've since found a replacement and that is Boots no7 mineral perfection in New Ivory. That formula is soft as silk, but covers like a foundation and feels weightless on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by kmennie

Have long loathed mineral foundation but am a great Korres lover, and what with Korres' reliable wonderfulness and the positive reviews I decided to try this. Yes! Love it.

It is easy to apply -- oddly it doesn't look so hot immediately; it seems to need a few minutes to settle in, so to speak. And then it disappears; it evens out my skin wonderfully, but it's not at all apparent that there's any make-up on me.

Cons: an additional product is needed for oil control, concealer still req'd for difficult spots, not a fan of the sponge being next to the product in the container. But that's it; zero other complaints. I was dubious about the limited shade selection but the lightest was just right (I am usually the second-lightest in most foundation ranges...); perhaps I lucked out? But it blends so well and is somehow adept at both covering and being sheer (it is indeed very "buildable," too) so I suspect it works for more of a range than most foundations.

I can't feel this on, and the application is really unfussy, a great boon. A few swipes with a brush for a basic layer, a bit of work with the sponge if there's a blotch or spot, done. And it stays put all day. Price seems reasonable given how little is needed; this is a definite repurchase, and close to a 'HG.'

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2011 11:40:00 PM More reviews by LetsSwap

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Such high hopes I had for this one :(
Unfortunately, I found it to be just as bad as BE. It went on smoothly, but after awhile, it developed that strange sheen to it that BE and all the other mineral foundations develop. Ugh. Oily skin topped with sheen? Nope, not pretty. Later on in the day I was all shiny...blech...couldn't wait to take it off. And yes, I tried several primers underneath (Boscia, UD, and S-box) but still :(
Gonna try Alima Satin Matte next. That will be the last one I try before I give up on powder mineral foundations altogether.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by beeb11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update 11/05/2011:

This didn't work in the long run for me. The cons definitely outweighed the pros. I've dropped the rating from 4 lippies down to 1 lippie.

PROS:

1) Photographs well at 2 or more feet away.

2) Also has a flawless finish at 2 or more feet away.

3) Even when I didn't the use the right amount of ss (bad me I know *slaps own hand*), when using this on top of my ss, I didn't tan at all.

ANDDDDDD that is where it stops.

CONS:

1) I was on a heavy load of anti-histmanes for allergies when I started this so I couldn't be objective as to whether this caused any irritation. I noticed some itching when wearing this sometimes, but I wasn't consistently wearing this makeup throughout the summer so I wasn't completely sure it was the makeup. However, starting in the fall, I started wearing this everyday. At this point, I was no longer taking anti-histamines daily, only as needed or every few days. I noticed on the days that I didn't take the anti-histamine, my face itched like crazy. I started developing rashes as well. I know for sure it was the makeup because I would apply it to my entire face except my forehead. I didn't apply it to my forehead because I wore hats that covered my forehead. My forehead was the only clog and rash free area on my ENTIRE face.

2) When I started wearing this everyday and consequently for longer periods of time (8-12 hours a day & this was the only thing about my routine that changed), I noticed more clogs. And yes I cleansed properly, oil-pre cleanse followed up with a face wash & toner.

3) If you use too much of this in one application it is hard and practically impossible to fix the color without washing your face and starting over. That being said, I found the best way to apply this was with a blush brush (like eco tools) and DEFINITELY do the swirl, tap, buff method.

4) This definitely oxidizes when a sunscreen (even an oil free one) or any other type of primer like substance is used. This is like a darned if you do, darned if you don't moment. I tried it on my bare skin and it accentuated dry patches that were barely visible. But with the ss it didn't accentuate dry patches. However, at a close up (i.e. less than two feet), it accentuated the appearance of clogs or pimples regardless of whether a primer or ss was used or not.

5) A lot of product gets wasted with this packaging, as the powder easily comes to the top through the holes but does not as easily sift back down to the bottom. Therefore, just upon opening the tub, it is easy to "dump" out too much.

Bottom Line:
If you have pretty much perfect skin (no dryness/ and/or dry patches, no clogs, no pimples), are not sensitive to any of the ingredients, need a decent loose powder foundation for added (not as a substitute) sun protection AND you can adapt to one of the four colors (that's the only number of options they have), then and only then, will this be a good match for you.

Otherwise, be wise and look elsewhere!!

Original Review 04/15/2011:

Okay so this may be premature, but I am really feeling good about this powder foundation. I looked up reviews for it on makeupalley and sephora.

My skin took a turn for the worse about 6 months. At the most, I used concealer under my eyes and on the occasional dark spot. Now, I have a face full of hyperpigmentation and acne. Absolutely horrible. So as I am working with a dermatologist to clear this horrible mess up, I have been on the hunt for a good foundation and/or concealer to cover the marks. So far I have tried dermablend, covergirl sensitive clean foundation, clinique, and neutrogena mineral sheers. See my reviews for those if you are interested.

Anyway onto the review:

First off the cons:

1) limited color range, there are only four colors

2) it is a bit pricey

Pros:
1) Although the color range is limited, I could see the medium tan (the darkest shade) working for a few different shades for skin of color. I am a medium toned, light skin african american. I have like 4 different shades going on across my body (crazy I know lol). One swipe of this is actually too dark for the lightest part of my body but two to three swipes works for the darkest part of my body.

2) This works well with my sunblock, the vanicream spf 35. Any user of this sunscreen knows it is NOT matte and can seem oily/greasy if you apply the amount you are really supposed to. I used a makeup sponge and dipped it in the powder and the sunblock immediately absorbed it, it almost turned it into a thick liquid foundation. I didn't even have to use concealer! And trust me, my hyperpigmentation issues are DARK!! But, I still have to learn how to properly apply it though, because today the color I got on my neck was almost perfect, but on my face it was too dark. With the exception of the color, it didn't look like I had makeup on my face.

3)No parabens or talc, limited ingredient list. I absolutely love that about this foundation!!

4) They actually put the expiration date on the package. I notice very few "natural" brands do this, even if the product has spf in it.

I will update this review if I experience any negative reactions with continued use. I will also update this review with different techniques as I try new things ( I will try a kabuki brush from eco tools, and hopefully a matte sunblock). I really hope this works because I love the high spf and even after I clear up my skin issues, it will still work great with one layer to cover the ashy whiteness that physical sunblocks leave behind. Also, if this ends up being my HG foundation, I would not mind shelling out the money for it.

The current ingredients list is as follows: Titanium Dioxide 16.1%, Zinc Oxide 15.0%, Mica, Boron Nitride, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Amethyst Powder, Quartz. [+/- (May Contain) Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides]

P.S. Sorry for the long review, I hope it is useful to someone :-)

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Juliamoore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my go to foundation that I happen to reach for everyday. I HATE Bare Essentuals. It accentuated every single pore, line, bump/lump on my face. I almost gave up on MF. Then I read the reviews on this FD and I am a devoted user.
1st of all the bad staff: they have only 4 shades, I am lucky I was matched to Warmth 1 Fair and it looks very natural on me. Unscrew lid and you need to shake out the powder on the lid inside.
OK, now my favourite part: the good staff. I have huge pores all over my face (ice picks, pit scars, box scarr) all shapes and sizes that makes wearing any FD a challenge. I am plagued by cyctic acne my whole life and I earned my rosacea by overtreating my skin with .....(you name it). I am very careful with conventional FD as they are all based on silicone (some is good, some is bad) and for me it takes just 1 bad experience and I am back to my derm for my laser treatments. This beauty has wild rose oil as an emolent and moisturizing agent. Apparently it is possible to substitute the "cones"and get a flawless looking skin without fear of clogging your pores. Given you are not allergic to wild rose oil. I use Sephora foundation Airbrush #55 and dab it all over my face after I wash, tone, moisturize etc. I go twice over areas that need more coverage and then buff it with my Too Faced Retractable kabuki brush. It stays on the whole day (and I can have crazy days). Somewhere around aftnoon I might need a little blotting and buffing but only because I am a perfectonist and like the way it makes me look but only because I look really close in my mirror. Here is a tip I learnt the hard way: if you do an OCM the night before and use any other oil (jojoba, argan, coconut oil etc) in the morning under your moisturizer - skip this on that day as it is too much oils for anybodies skin. I had a couple of white heads but I consider it is my fault as I should have thought about natural oil that it also has. Other than that I love it and use it every day and it made me want look at myself in the mirror and use make up. It is more of a treatment than a make up for me now :) Will repurchase? I already did.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2011 3:00:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this mineral powder is made for dry/normal skin because I'm oily skinned; tried it because I was just switching from BE at that time, I saw that it was illuminating, but it's really shimmery for something that's suppose to go all over your face... It can probably be used as a bronzer!

At the end of my day it was like a dewy glob of shimmer on my face. I didn't like it and back it went.

They need to be like BE and do the twist and close with the packaging.

The medium tan was really beige with some pink, Idk. I wasn't feeling the color.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by nana7788

Not bad...don't know if it broke me out...I've tried it a month ago when my skin wasn't in a good condition but...will try again later because the result is pretty nice.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2011 2:54:00 AM More reviews by lumi90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow, this stuff is amazing. It goes on easily and evenly, even with no primer or anything else, covers up redness and small imperfections on my face, and looks completely natural. No one thinks I use any makeup on my face that isn't eye makeup.
The only bad things are the small selection of tones (fortunately, I fit in one of the 4 tones they make, so this isn't an issue for me), and the packaging. There isn't really much to keep it from spilling all over the place, and it isn't the easiest thing to get the makeup from container to sponge (or brush, or whatever you use). However, it is still remarkable.
Oh, and I must add that within 2 days of using this product it cleared the acne Bare Minerals gave me, and I haven't gotten a single pimple or blackhead since. My face doesn't usually break out, but is very sensitive to makeup (I just recently started wearing makeup because of this reason - when I put any on my face, my face gets red, burns, and breaks out :( ) and Korres has worked all kinds of wonders. If you're not using this foundation, you are missing out!