LUSH coal face soap

3.8

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Powdered Charcoal, Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Linalool, Perfume, Silver Edible Lustre (Potassium aluminum silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and hydroxides)

on 9/16/2013 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm 36 and just started breaking out again. I tried everything and it still wasn't clearing up at all. The first time I used Coal face my acne looked better and less red. After a week, it is no longer "active" acne, there are just spots left now. My skin is also less oily. Its quite embarrassing to have this kind of acne at my age. I just purchased another bar of this little miracle cleanser so my skin will stay clear.

on 9/4/2013 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

i use this on my night rutine after all the oils of my face has come to the surface, the pollution and makeup as well... so i find it very refreshing and takes away everything. this soap has two surfaces on top its exfoliating, has sand or grains or something and the other side its just the soap. so i use the soft side all the time and once a week the top side.
NO, it has not dried me, it has not irritated my skin, it has not broke me out.
I dont love the smell, it actually makes me hold my breath as im using it haha.. but its nature girls!! haha yes, ill keep repurchasing it i just love it, my face loves it.

on 7/4/2013 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This was the first Lush face cleanser, I have ever tried and i must say that I'm not impressed..
First of I guess I'm just not a fan of "soap-formula" cleansers. It's really unpracticle I think, and I like things to be quick, espacially in the morning. But when you have really made it lather up, it actually feels nice on the face. Slighty exfoliating also.

Another reason why I don't like this, is because I think it made me break me out. The day after I tried this I had red patches on my cheeks and I'm pretty sure it's from this soap, because I have never really had it before? So yeah.. Not a huge fan of this Lush product.

on 6/19/2013 4:42:00 AM

So here is my review for this simple cleanser.

I have combination skin and I find this non-drying if you rinse it away after a full wash on the face. To others it may become drying especially if you let it sit on the face, which I never do with any cleanser. It works for me. It helped clear my face, helped heal my insect bites on my face and it did not clog my pores.

I will buy a fresh cut once I run out. Don't let it sit in a wet container/drainer because it will get goopy and you will waste the product. Overall it's good, except that it smells like rubber tires but the scent goes away as soon as you rinse it.

on 5/30/2013 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is perfect for oily faces. I use this cleanser daily all year-round as I have an oily t-zone and sometimes chin. It is best in the summer when it is humid, and as soon as I use it, I can feel all the oil disappear off my face.
It does tend to dry out your face if you use it frequently, but a moisturizer will help this. I recommend another Lush product, "Vanishing Cream," which is a light moisturizer with no oil. I would not recommend this product for anyone that doesn't experience an oily face.
This product is also VERY long-lasting, which is why I rated the price so low. A small chunk lasts months. I have been using this product for 2+ years and have only repurchased three times.

on 3/11/2013 8:02:00 AM

I bought a small peice of this because even at my age
I've still got an oily T-zone.Maybe it's the wrong cleanser for me but you can't get away from the fact that it is full of irritants.What's coal powder supposed to do for skin?This was horrible, left my face feeling dry and irritated .You shouldn't have to rush for the moisturiser after cleansing. That's not a good sign no matter what skin type. In the long run made my T-zone worse.Sandlewood and rosewood oils wont help eitherJust because your skin is oily and I was plagued with oily skin as a youngster,dosen't mean you have to strip it with products like thisYou will do more harm than good in the long run..According to Paula Begoun you'd be as well washing your face in the fireplace(ok a bit dramatic)But what she's trying to say is this stuff is RUBBISH.I don't agree with all her reviews but I'm with her on this one.

on 3/8/2013 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought this on a whim one day when i was at the mall and i'm glad i did! My skin gets oily throughout the day even with a mattifying powder and i can really tell a difference when i don't use this in the morning. Instead of getting oily at 10, i get oily around 2. I've been using this since December and my skin has never looked this good. It really helped clear up my acne and blackheads. The reason i gave it 4 stars was because it makes my skin feel very tight and dry after i use it so make sure to use a moisturizer after washing your face with this.

on 2/25/2013 2:45:00 AM

25th February 2013 Have been using this for about a week on my middle-aged acne rosacea. Seems to be improving things, but it remains to be seen whether my skin can take the drying effect in the longterm or if it is just an occasional treatment. It works well at calming down cysts and blind zits. I think Coal Face would work very well for teenagers experiencing large amounts of hormonal acne.
21st March 2013 I think for me the best use of Coalface soap is as a treatment once a week. It has been very useful in clearing my skin and I intend to go on using it, but too harsh for daily use.
6th May 2013 Have been using it three times a week recently. My skin has settled down and there are no major cysts, but i stll have flaky red patches which are gradually decreasing in size. I think if my slin became oilier it would stabilise perfectly with use of this soap, but I'm reluctant to use any sort of moisturiser after using this, as anything I have used after this soap seems to clog my pores. Am taking large amounts of fish oil instead to hopefully make my skin oilier.
16th May 2013 Have discovered that in combination with yogurt and honey mask this stuff is incredible. Wash face with coalface, use mask, wash off with coalface. Pores smaller and skin smoother than in years.

on 2/16/2013 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This seems to be the best cleanser for my oily, acne-prone skin with small pores. I used to have very bad acne, cystic pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, you name it, and this helped along with my skin regimen to calm it down. It seems to be the best cleanser for my skin and it also has a nice clean finish and a wonderful smell. I would recommend trying this if you have oily or acne-prone skin. One of my friends gave it to me as a sample and they always have samples at the store, so you don't have to by a full-size bar. My skin care regiment includes Coalface soap by Lush, Grease Lightning by Lush, Benzoyl Peroxide 2% (Target brand version of Clean and Clear brand) and Clean and Clear Morning Burst Moisturizer, combined with Acnepril (two pills, twice daily) and the Clarisonic Mia brush used one to two times per day.

on 2/10/2013 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I bought this as I was looking for a oil absorber/light exfoliant cleanser for my skin. I've been using this product for 3 weeks and it doesn't "wow" me, it does it job but I didn't expect any miracles. When you rinse this off your skin gets this "clean" feeling. Not like you just stripped everything off that it leaves your face feeling tight. I thought it was expensive at first (for $AU pricing) but you only need so little of this every time you use it. I'm using it once every second day (others use it weekly or daily, depends on your skin) and at this rate I can see it lasting around 6 months, maybe even more. Although I find coalface mediocre I still would buy again.