Revlon ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup

3.1

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (3.7%). Non-Medicinal/Other Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Mica, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Boron Nitride, Lauroyl Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Viola Tricolor Extract, Methicone, Sodium Polyacrylate, Potassium Sorbate, Diazolidinyl Urea. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499).

on 10/1/2013 7:47:00 AM

Contrary to what is written below, this IS a foundation. If you check Revlon's own website, it is marketed as a foundation. As it is in most of the store displays I have seen. Whether it works well as a foundation, or whether you choose to use it as a foundation, that is an individual decision. But that is what it supposed to be.

Personally, I am really on the fence with this. I have been using Maybelline Purestay powder foundation for quite some time, and it was the best powder foundation for me that I had ever found, high or low end. But of course, it has been discontinued. Isn't that what so often happens with products we can't live without? I am trying to find a new powder foundation. I am thinking this will not be it.

I really don't like the wet feel of it. I think it makes it hard to use. I use a lot of product to do my whole face, because the initial wetness of it makes it hard to distribute. It doesn't go very far. I agree with others who say this does not cover much. I have good skin, so for me it is enough. But if you have issues and need good coverage, this doesn't have it. So for those people, it may work as a finishing powder over other foundations. For me, it wouldn't be worth the work to use it that way. I like a finishing powder to glide on effortlessly and quickly.

The finish this gives me is good, and it does hold up well through the day. My skin is not oily anymore, except for my forehead. I am not sure how this will look in the winter when my skin gets drier. I have tried a few different ways to apply it, different brushes, a makeup sponge. Not quite sure I've got the best method yet. The little brush with it isn't the best, but it works ok.

I don't know if I would repurchase this or not. I'm leaning towards no at this point. I would probably just continue on my quest to find a good replacement for the Maybelline.

Edited on 1-19-14 I wore this again last week after having put it away for a while. I got a look at myself in outdoor light. Horrified. I looked like a sparkly mess. Threw it away, will absolutely not buy it again.

on 9/26/2013 6:49:00 AM

OMG. If this is classified as a foundation, then why is it categorised as 'Powder'? Now I'm confused.

on 9/25/2013 11:18:00 AM

I think you guys need to read the product before purchasing. This is a mineral finishing powder used to set your foundation. It is not meant for coverage. My skin is prone to break outs and is very uneven, and I use this to set my makeup. I think it works very well for what it is intended for.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

First, I am super fair, so I have to applaud Revlon for making shades light enough for me. I wear the ColorStay Whipped Creme in Ivory 110 and the ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup in Fair (the lightest shades) over top of it. I've used the powder for about 6 months, and tried it over Revlon ColorStay liquid foundation and the whipped formulation (if you haven't, try the whipped!! so good!). I have really really dry skin, and many foundations/powders look cakey or emphasize dry spots or dry my skin out, but these two are so impressive together.
My Method:
I apply the Whipped Creme foundation with my fingers, and then apply a liberal amount of the Aqua powder in small circles with a RealTechniques buffing brush, then I do the rest of my makeup. For a quick refresh or to set my entire face I'll dust on a little of the powder with a RealTechniques powder brush.
Ok, about the ColorStay Aqua Mineral Makeup specifically:
-The packaging is fine, the brush is pretty useless, maybe good in a pinch or on the go. I use a RealTechniques buffing or powder brush for best results. I hate those little sifter things, I find them hard to use, so I tap out product into the lid and swirl my brushes around in the lid to pick up product.
-The coverage is very light. This might be because I have such a light shade. It's really more of a perfecting step for me, not to build coverage as the ColorStay Whipped has pretty high coverage already. I find that when I apply it it feels cool or refreshing, it feels very light and hydrating. It also doesn't cling to any dry patches, and it doesn't build up and look cakey.
-The finish is stunning!! Having dry skin, I'm always battling dullness, but a dusting of this makes me look fresh, awake, and healthy. If you apply a heavy swatch on your hand you can see the shimmer in it, but it isn't at all like the Revlon PhotoReady products which turned my face into a disco ball. On the face, even up close, there's no noticeable shimmer. It photographs very well.
-The staying power is also great, I find that the ColorStay line does have impressive staying power. My face looks fine throughout the day, but if I want it especially flawless I just use my RealTechniques buffing brush and a little more of the powder to refresh and rebuff the products into my skin.

I highly recommend this product if you're looking for a lightweight, healthy glow. It's not the cheapest drugstore option, but I've used mine every day for 6 months now and am only just hitting the halfway point.

on 9/6/2013 3:45:00 PM

I use this to set concealer on trouble spots, and love it! I do wish the sifter would lock or twist to keep the powder from making a mess when you open it, but other than that...great product. I use this over Hard Candy Glamoflage concealer almost daily.

I really like this loose powder. I use it to set my makeup.I think it's too sheer to use alone unless you have really good skin (no marks or blemishes) I find it hydrating and feel it gives a nice finish.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Personally, I love this powder. I think the cooling sensation you receive as soon as you put the powder to your face is awesome. I got my for about $3 on sale at my local sears, as all makeup at my sears was 75% off. I love it. It's not too cakey but it gives the right amount of coverage for the skin that I have. Also, the colors were very easy to match. Would definitely recommend and buy again. Already bought a 2nd one for the cheap 75% off deal that way I'd have another! Love it!

on 8/11/2013 3:39:00 AM

i was sad to find out the almay one was discontinued, but good thing i can still get this :)

on 8/11/2013 3:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I was excited about this. Feels nice going on. Like a cooling effect. But throughout the day it made my face oily and it broke me out. And the coverage was not enough for me.

on 8/9/2013 3:20:00 PM

I purchased this foundation without reading reviews as I was heading to a weekend festival. As it's the middle of summer in Canada, and we would be camping, I wanted a powder rather than a liquid foundation.

I bought this in "Medium" (due to my current tan). The colour match was fine, however the coverage was not. This covered almost nothing (and when you are camping for four days without access to a shower other than a watering can, the zits tend to pop up). I tried layering this, but found I could not build up enough coverage to make even a bit of difference - redness showed through everywhere.

I thought this may have been a problem with my brush. When I returned from the festival I tried this product on different days with a powder brush, bronzer brush, and kabuki brush. None provided reasonable coverage (I do not have horrendous skin - a little bit of red on my cheeks and the occasional spot).

Furthermore, the sifter was awful. As I was travelling with this powder it was tossed around in my case. When I opened the lid the entire compartment was full. It was difficult to get out an appropriate amount without making a mess.

The damp feeling that occurred when this applied made it an interesting experience, but for the poor quality of the product and bad packaging I would not recommend.