April 18, 2014 | 1972 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Root Rescue

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by jkaymcc

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think giving this product 1 star is way too high. So very disappointed in this. I usually use Clairol color dimensions, but decided to give it a try....I had a coupon. Biggest mistake of my week.
So here's my opinion of this product.......First off, I don't like the bottle. It's tall and thin... OK, your saying..."whats the big deal with that"....well, for one, it's top heavy. They do provide a place in their box that you can push out a circle to set the bottle in.....I tried that.....I completely destroyed the box trying to open this circle....no big deal I thought, I'll just set it on the counter....which I did, no biggie. But, and it's a BIG BUT, they don't give you enough product to put in it, so your constantly shaking it to get the color to come down to the exit point of the bottle.....geesh! OK, after a while it gets messy and slippery....which brings me to the second point. After giving it a good shake to bring down the product to the tip, I slips out of my hand, falls on the floor, splashing color on my wall, towels and me.....good grief ! OK, can this experience get worse.....OH yes it can, which brings me to the third point....The brush on the end of the applicator...E-gads!! When you try to apply it as they suggest, it gets tangled in your hair, so you pull in up and out, and consequently you get color on the long strands of hair you don't want it on.
Lets see, I think I'm on my Fourth point.....I have grey roots. The directions say for grey roots, leave on for 15 minutes. It doesn't cover the grey. I will say this, my grey roots are a little less obvious, but they are now light brown with a tint of orange.

OK, so.....bad bottle design.....NOT NEAR ENOUGH PRODUCT to cover what you need to cover....Does not cover grey well at all. Wish I could get my money back.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2012 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Lovisa

I used this product last night, and I'm pretty happy with it! I have highlighted blonde hair with dark blonde roots. I tried the nice and easy root touch up before, and it was awful. The reason was probably because the lightest blonde color available was not very light (I think they make a lighter one, but I haven't found it in any stores), so it turned out brassy and orange. The root rescue was available in a 9, so light blonde. I've learned that the at home boxed colors tend to turn out darker than they look on the box, so this one was great. It's not brassy at all. I have some pesky grey or white hairs that I wanted to cover, and I don't think this did a fantastic job of it, I think it;s going to fade fairly quickly, but these days my roots start to bother me about 4 weeks after getting highlights at a salon- coloring my hair that frequently is not financially sustainable for me, nor is it particularly good for the hair. So, I'm happy because this is definitely going to tide me over between salon visits and it does look good. I think my roots were not all that bad to start with, doubtful anyone else would notice unless they were looking directly at them under flourescent light (which is what the bathrooms at wok have!) but also, I think my little touch up job is unnoticebale as well. The main thing is that it did blend in with the existing highlights really well, and it's not remotely jarring with my natural coloring. The nice and easy totally was. It looked like orange roots on blond hair, so for me this product was pretty good-as good as I would have gotten if I'd gone to a salon and gotten a 'color in between' done, and way cheaper and faster. Will most likely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2012 3:44:00 AM More reviews by Sunshineyaaa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I prefer "root touch-up" to the root rescue. I found that the root rescue did not match my existing color very well at all and did not cover my gray hair either. Waste of time and money.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2012 11:14:00 PM More reviews by Jeannie28

Oh, I add myself to the list of "why oh why didn't I read the reviews???'!
This did NOT rescue my roots! For they are still gray and now even brassy, calling more attention to them! My regular brand of root touch-up was out of my color, so I did a stupid thing and picked this up!
It does not cover grays!
So sorry I wasted my money, if only I had saved my receipt!
Please don't waste your time and money if you are trying to hide grays!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2011 12:44:00 PM More reviews by LostHearts

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Purchased this product because it was new and on sale. What a disappointment! Even though I left it on my gray roots for a bit longer than recommended, it barely covered the hair.

Apparently, this is a translucent type of dye, which in my experience does not work well on gray hair. It was a total waste of money.

I'm sticking with Nice & East Root Touchup, which has yet to let me down. Oh well, live and learn.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Dlou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank goodness for Makeup alley--bought this because it was on sale yesterday, but then read the reviews and instead bought and used my usual Clairol Root touch up. As usual, it was perfect and easy.

Returning Root Rescue today.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2011 10:39:00 AM More reviews by leyla110

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Booooo! I usually use Preference in Medium Brown, but saw that this was a bit cheaper and all I needed was a quick root touch up, so I thought why not give it a try.
I bought Root Rescue in shade 5, which said on the box corresponds with Preference Medium Brown.
I left it on for 15 min, as the instructions recommended for stubborn grays. Welllllll...I ended up with roots two shades lighter, brassy and orange-ish and still has some grays popping through!
So, by trying to save a few bucks, I had to end up paying more to buy a box of Preference to cover up this mess.
Never again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2011 1:43:00 PM More reviews by cass22101

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dark brown hair that I dyed to a medium brown shade. My hair is now 3 shades lighter than my natural hair color. I needed something that would lighten my roots 3 shades. I purchased Root Rescue in 5 Medium Brown. It was super easy to apply to my hairline, part, and the roots at the top of my head. I didn't have enough to do my whole head. But I made sure to cover the roots that may possibly be shown if I were to wear my hair up or change my part. It took me 10 minutes to apply. I then left it on for 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes. It did make my head itch during the 15 minutes - no big deal. The results were great. It matches my hair exactly. I will definitely purchase this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2011 10:59:00 PM More reviews by tagg

WHY WHY WHY didn't I read the reviews?? I have just used the dark brown and now my roots are a weird orange colour - way lighter than the rest of my (uncoloured) hair. And on top of that the grey strands are all still there. HORRIBLE!!! I did like the applicator but right now I am absolutely despondent at the state of my hair.

Edited to say that I used Garnier Nutrisse in Intense Dark Brown to cover up the mess made by the Root Rescue and it's the perfect colour. However as it's faded the orange stripe left by the Root Rescue is showing again. I guess I will have to keep colouring that orange as it grows out and down the length of my hair - grrrr. My hair is really long and so this will be a big hassle. My hatred for Root Rescue knows no bounds.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2011 1:13:00 AM More reviews by elph

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

First the good: I am very impressed with the packaging of this product. It comes with eyeglass protectors! How genius is that? I wonder why L'Oreal doesn't have these on all their products? I usually use an expired pair of glasses while I color my hair, but with the eyeglass plastic protectors, I can use my current prescription. And the applicator comb is very easy to use, it disperses the color on my roots thoroughly. Mixing it is easy as pie (and the instructions are thorough to the point of ridiculousness. How hard is it to pour the small bottle into the taller bottle?) This has got to be the least messy application I've experienced at home, and that includes mousse kits. I wish there were just a tad more color, though. When I touch up my roots, I like to get the top layer of my hair as well, because that's the part that fades the fastest. There wasn't enough to completely cover even half of it. And I'll have to agree with the folks who are saying this stuff itches while it's developing. Because it really does. I think that might have to do with the amount of Hydrogen Peroxide in the developer creme (2nd ingredient listed) because this lifted my color more than I've become used to - and I've been using L'Oreal permanent and semi-permanent colors almost exclusively lately. It's not so extreme that it'll look blotchy with the Excellence in the same shade that I was already wearing. If anything, the fact that the existing shade was fading helped it match up better. However, it only did a mediocre job of covering my grays! And there was no after-care conditioner. Even a little packet would have been helpful, and covered the fact that there doesn't seem to be any attempt to compensate for the chemical smell of this formulation (that thankfully fades fairly quickly). All in all, I would use it again in a pinch, but it won't be my go-to.