Yves Saint Laurent Belle d'Opium

3.2

In these "sensitive" days, perfume is expected to be non-invasive, non-offensive, non-in-your-face, etc. In short, non-perfume. Also, there are women who seem to be absolutely TERRIFIED of looking, dressing, sounding, and even smelling older than 20. Hence, the worst, most damning criticism you can make of a scent is to say "Smells like a little old lady." Sends the Young-at-Any-Cost Crowd scrambling for cover, like cockroaches hiding from the light. And then there are the terminally sensitive ... let's not even go there.

In other words, gone are the days when perfume was the result of creativeness, imagination, daring, even love. When it brought to mind mystery, allure, romance, sensuality. The Forbidden Fruit. Oh, there's is plenty of fruit in scents these days. But rather than conjuring images of precious ingredients and of Mata Hari, they remind you of candies and Minute Maid.

Which brings me to Belle d'Opium. This is nothing but a fresh flanker of the majestic original. I cannot write the fantastic - almost hallucinatory - descriptions some people are able to compose when describing scents. All I'm going to say is that I was bitterly disappointed when I tried the sample I was given of Belle d'Opium. It's not bad, mind you. But neither are thousands of other mass-market scents. Like them, Belle d'Opium is nice, fresh. But it's generic. It lacks the character, the personality, the uniqueness of the original. This one is indistinguishable from so many other scents. And that is a shame. In spite of it's name, Belle d'Opium is Opium's plain, insignificant little sister.

Personally, I hate flankers. The manufacturers found a clever way to overcharge clients using a minimum of work and a total lack of imagination. Just dilute the original, add/remove a couple of ingredients, make some basic changes to the package, et voilą! A "new" fragrance. There ought to be a law against such rip-offs. Then again, there seems to be enough demand for them. I guess as long as they are marketed "for the young ..."

I took a trip to Kicks after I'd spent 25 relaxing minutes tanning. There I found this Belle d'Opium and fell in love straight away. I hate fruity, girly, icky-sweet scents like most celebrities seem to love when they launch their own personal perfume and this isn't at all like that. No surprise really, since it belongs to the 'Opium-family' YSL has created.

All in all a great perfume, the scent is exciting and really suits us younger girls since most of us find the the good old Opiums from the 80's to be way too heady.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I actually really like this; I've never cared for the original Opium, and this is like a breath of fresh air for me. Sultry but not overpowering. Mysterious and sexy but not cloying. The only drawback for me is it lacks the staying power I expect from top name perfumes. I would likely buy again, if not ask for it as a gift sometime.

I have loved Opium since it came out and have all the Opiums, the summer ones are nice and a little lighter, I got this one because it was in the Opium family, pretty bottle others list the notes, it is nice I wear it but since I have all the other Opiums and the edt and edp, this is different and one bottle is enough, half finished already, just does not really smell like Opium, which is strange, worth a try not the real original Opium,

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

First of all, I want to say that I will judge this perfume on its own merit and not in comparison to the original Opium.
It is not a bad perfume. Incense and pepper is what I mostly get with regard to the individual notes. I can describe it as dark and mysterious. Average staying power. Nothing groundbreaking and I wouldn't buy a full bottle, but if someone gave me this as a present I would gladly wear it as a night perfume.

Beautiful bottle but what a boring smell. I've tested it a few times, trying to force myself to like it but alas I cannot. It doesn't seem to have any top notes, it's all base - somewhat warm and spicy. It is not unpleasant - it's just not interesting, especially for the price. I would write a better description but in all honesty I can't remember it. Disappointing.

Beautiful bottle, ad campaign, heritage...boring, blah mish mash of a scent on my skin. This is one of those fragrances that was orchestrated to smell wonderful on paper...so much so that I bought it based on that (I had other fragrances on so I did not sample on my actual skin in the store - why can't I ever learn). Later, when I had a chance to properly spray the sample I had (luckily before opening the retail package) - I knew it was going back immediately. No discernable notes...warm and spicy yes, but just a mess of poorly blended perfume sillage on me. If you are lucky and it smells on you like it does on paper, then I would give it a thumbs up...unfortunately as soon as it hit the warmth of my skin, it disintegrated into an uninteresting, pedestrian hodge podge.

I can't say I like this at all. It seems to have an identity crisis as though there are too many notes fighting for dominance and none win, or like when you mix too many colours and end up with a horrible greyish brown. It is nothing in comparison to it's ravishing oriental red sister.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Got this as a sample from Karstadt. The smell is so obnoxious. There are heavy perfumes, which you might dislike personally, but are still somewhat wearable speaking in general (e.g. "Obsession" by Calvin Kline). This one is not wearable at all.
It's cheap and importunate.
I wish, I could write a more differentiated review, but I really don't know, what else to say. I can not even distinguish different notes, it's just one heavy stench.

Belle d'Opium did not really disappoint me, but that's only because the ad campaign provided all the clues I needed to figure out what the scent would be all about. The most I was hoping for was to be pleasantly surprised, and that feeble glimmer of hope was utterly extinguished on first whiff. It is predictably sweet, but surprisingly cheap smelling as well. There was a very off-putting note, like bad fruit, at the very heart of this scent, a twang that didn't quite work. I know plenty of ppl will still like its fruity sweetness, but I'll save my money for the real stuff. No sale, Belle d'Opium to me is an epic fail.

Popular Fragrances