September 21, 2014 | 1065 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by briloveschocolatebunnies

It surprises me greatly that the reviews are so good for this.

The price was steep, but I decided with all the popularity, that it had to be worth it so I bought the travel size version. I was not impressed. First of all, the packaging (as many mention) is very difficult. You lose product everytime if you dispense by pushing down over the hole (as the tutorial clip from Tarte describes). Even in the tutorial clip that Tarte gives, you can see some of it escaping.

Second of all, I think it gives kind of a whitish cast on the face noticeable in photos. Even if you use a small amount---definitely doesn't seem to work well for pictures.

On the plus side, it did not break me out which was good. And yes, it does control oil. It does a pretty good job. But there's got to be something better out there, especially for this price. If you are thinking of trying it out, you may want to look into the travel size so you won't spend so much if you don't like it. The travel size is available via Amazon.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This powder is my HG of setting powders! It's seriously amazing. I bought it after a recommendation at Sephora. The SA told me that it's a true translucent powder, there's zero pigment in it which means it's truly clear. The moment I tried it on my hand I couldn't stop touching it! The powder made it so soft and silky, and I noticed that the lines in my hand were even minimized! So after putting it on my face I had the same results. Absolutely amazing. Kept my makeup in place all day. No shine, perfect finish, airbrushed look. I didn't really notice a whole difference in my actual skin , like no difference in pore size but when I applied it I could notice something. As for packaging I think it's genius. This pot can last me a year or more! The little hole keeps you from using more than you need! It's worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by Aneizy

Wow. This stuff is seriously amazing. I hated my colored pressed powder, it made me look cakey, made my dry patches stand out, and kept me matte for about 30 min! I went on a hunt for the translucent powders. My first pick was the HD one, but the makeupally reviews weren't that great.. Then I came across this one. I went to sephora and the moment I touched it I knew I had to buy it. It is VERRY VERY super fine. It feels softer than air, it blends beautifully into the skin and makes it feel abnormally smooth. After using this for about 5 days my blackheads have diminished, and my pores look smaller. And I know I will see more results as time goes by. I went around sephora trying all the translucent powders and this is definitely the best one. I noticed urban decays super cute convenient compact one had very good reviews too, but when I tried to smooth it into my skin it was not as soft and white powder settled into my lines. At school I will go in the br, pull this out and swirl my finger into the tiny bit that's settled in the cap , then gently smooth over in circular motions on my oily areas (tip of nose, bridge of nose, middle forehead) it's so soft it doesn't mess up my foundation or make it cakey, it fills my pores and creates a complete matte finish. Completely amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by 92DingDong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This product is absolutely amazing I use it on my eye makeup. I have super oily skin (to the point where you can literally drill for oil on my face...people say theirs a shortage on oil in the world well it's because it's on my face). It literally absorbs the oil so that my eye make up does not budge. No creasing, smudging or raccoon eyes here and I don't need to touch up. Now it does remove shine from my forehead and cheekbones for a couple hours (2-3 hrs) before I have to do a touch up...but It's worth it. As a person with extremely oily skin I have a hard time searching for products that reduce shine (aka actually works...some products claim to reduce shine but I find that they make my skin go into overdrive and cause my skin to shine even more). This product does reduce the shine.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by mrsuhmazing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

For a long time I was using MUFE HD Microfinish Powder and I couldn't stand the smell or that it had so many holes because powder would get everywhere or the white cast it would leave no matter how much you blended it. A lot of reviews on the MUFE powder suggested using this instead and this was everything I wanted MUFE powder to be. It leaves a soft airbrushed effect on my face, sets my foundation so it doesn't budge and doesn't leave that awful white cast. This has one hole which at first I loved because you could get out just what you needed but now that I've used quite a bit of the product it's becoming more difficult to get out which is really frustrating. I love this powder, I just wish they had one or two more holes!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by weirdhologurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I received a sample of this in a Sephora 500 pt gift pack. The powder feels amazingly soft to the touch, my skin felt like velvet when I applied it.

Sadly within an 2 hours my skin had an oily sheen to it, and by end of day nothing was set in place.

Looks great at first, but does not mattify or hold makeup in place throughout the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by horder

Really does the job! didnt notice my pores reduce, but I dont use it everyday.my only problem is that its a bit pricy and the packing - sometimes its tricky and too muck product gets out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by sarahdufour12

OK, I don't usually wear powder or want to spend money on powder, but my Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (which I love) leaves my skin slightly dewy looking. I like this sometimes but not ALL the time, so I went to Sephora to pick up a Bobbi Brown powder.

The girl at Sephora told me to try the Tare Smooth Operator powder instead. She raved about it. I was unsure because it doesn't look like anything special in the package. However, I bought it and could not be happier. This product makes my skin look airbrushed and makes my makeup last 3-4 hours longer than it used to. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion!

I have very fair skin (the lightest shade of Bobbi Brown foundation). I have combination oily/dry skin, but I tend towards the drier side usually. I don't struggle with acne or blemishes, but my skin does get uneven and blotchy. This product actually seems to help with that. The packaging is kind of weird, as other reviewers have mentioned, but it's not annoying enough to keep me from buying it again. I would definitely recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Other than price I don't have anything negative to say about this powder. It would be nice if this could be pressed to make it more portable unless it would alter performance. The powder itself is awesome though. Smooth like silk. It controls oil, sets foundation like a dream, and no irritation. I will continue to purchase. A little really does go a long way. No animal testing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by deeg031

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I found two samples of this powder in my makeup collection (freebies from either sephora, qvc, or birchbox I suppose). I have extremely oily skin, like my foundation will pool in the middle of my forehead oily, and this powder seems to keep the oilies at bay. I still have to blot around 4-5 hours after applying foundation, but the difference is very noticeable. Also, where this product really shines (get it?) for me is as an undereye setter. Not only does it keep my undereye concealer from moving but it also prevents my mascara from smudging. Looking at the 10+ tubes I have of unfinished mascara, I'd say this is a good thing. I will continue using it and will purchase the full size once I run out of my little samples.