July 23, 2014 | 2116 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2009 5:44:00 PM More reviews by kathe10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is to help the newbies who are having a tough time with underarm epilation pain--
Thanks for your great advice MUAers! The first time I epilated (about a month ago) the legs were easy but underarms were painful enough to make me cry and give up. I had only completed a half inch section under one arm. (I've never waxed before.) So I read these reviews and tried it again about an hour ago. The tips I gathered reduced the prolonged unbearable pain to brief uncomfortable stinging sensation. Here's what I did to help ease the pain: 1. Upgraded from an inexpensive Emjoi to the Braun Silk Epil Soft Perfection. I used the cap with the massagers and the massagers definitely helped. 2. Took two Tylenol. 3. Exfoliated dry with a brush. 3. Took a long hot shower, soaped up and exfoliated again. 4. After shower- Pressed an ice pack under my arm until numb. 5. Dusted area with baby powder. 6. While holding the skin as taut as possible, I epilated in VERY short strokes. The first few strokes hurt the most, then it gets much better. There were a few pin prick amounts of blood. Sometimes I had to stop again and hold the ice pack in another area, use the baby powder and then do that area. Take it slow. Afterwards, I washed with soap again, used a salicylic acid toner and some heavy duty moisturizer (I mixed Eucerin, and DermaDoctor KP Duty).

***Also, I think THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to do to ease the pain is to epilate when you have a short stubble. If the hair is longer, it hurts MUCH MORE.***

The results? Oh my goodness...this is the first time I have had a "clean-looking" underarm since the age of 12! With my super pale skin and dark hair, I've ALWAYS had the five o'clock shadow. Even fresh shaven, that dark patch was always there, lurking under the surface. One hour later the redness is gone. There are some pink bumps but I'm hoping that will subside. Even with the bumps, it still looks better than with shaving (for me). Hope you have a good experience with it also. Good luck!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2009 8:35:00 AM More reviews by saikhwan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is amazing!!!!!! i've got very hairy legs that was really annoyed me .I've been using this product about 8 weeks it really clear my skin after using it and take about ages to grlow back again but my epilator is green and it've got a small rolling which will massage yr legs at the same time.It is worth to have one and the important thing is i don't need to go to beauty salon again just use my one epilator and it's very easy to use it's a little bit hurt but the result is great aswell.i'll definately buy this product again if it break down which i hope not!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2009 11:59:00 AM More reviews by jlin0913

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've only used this a couple of times. costed me 100cdn, kind of pricey. i'm still trying to get the hang of this thing. I will update again in a month.

well, when i used this on my armpits i was very very scared because of the loud noise. it wasn't too painful because i prepped myself by tweezing a couple of hairs on each arm before i epilated. the hair grew out finer compared to before i epilated but i do find that the hairs have to be quite long in order for the machine to grab them. when it does get long enough the hairs are actually quite visible.

i epilated my arms as well, it was not a good idea =T it ended up breaking off ALL the hairs. at first i thought it was doing its job but when i looked closely under the light, i realized that all the epilator did was break off the hairs. now my arm hair grew back a lot thicker. i'm probably going to just tweeze them all out so finer hair grows. i'll try it again on my arms but, i wouldn't recommend epilating areas with fine hair.

tried it on my legs, again fine hair will break off but it does grab the occasional thicker ones.

oh by the way, i have the braun xelle.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 5:35:00 AM More reviews by barkercakes

ouchy, but does what its supposed to do

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2009 8:59:00 PM More reviews by petitfleur

The Braun Silk-épil Wet&Dry is my first epilator, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Compared to threading, waxing, and tweezing with tweezers, though, it is more painful. But it is so convenient and fast (takes minutes compared to half an hour, and no wax strips to throw away!) that it makes it worth it. I use this on my 'stache, cheek, and on some embarrassing hairs on my hairline/neck area and it works GREAT. Hurts like heck for me (no pain tolerance here), but running it over the area a few times does it pretty quick.

The Silk-épil is pretty pricy—I got mine on sale for $65 at Target—but I think compared to hair removers that require more frequent maintenance, this is probably cheaper over time.

As for the pain, I have heard that taking an over-the-counter pain reliever an hour or so beforehand makes epilating less painful, but I have yet to try that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2009 9:22:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

I never liked shaving my underarms because of the irritation/stubble/ingrown hairs I would get and waxing my bikini line was messy if I did it myself and expensive at the salon. So I bought the Braun 5270 Silk Epil and then let it sit in my closet for 6 months because I was afraid to use it. I read many reviews and instruction "tips" before I tried it. The BEST tip of all was to wax first. The trick to pain reduction and ease of use is to not have a lot of hair to epilate all at once. Hair grows in cycles after you wax - it's not like shaving. So wax first and then when the one or two hairs start to come in, then begin with the epilator. Use the "beginner" head first until you get the hang of it. Seriously, no pain at all this way. I use mine once a week after a hot shower or bath and I exfoliate the areas I do regularly too. I would never use it on my legs - I think it would be too time consuming. But it's really great on pits and bikini line - it's like there was never any hair there. And even though they're like $60, if you consider the money and time you save they pay for themselves.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2009 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Ultraviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the Braun Silk Epil Xelle.

Since I've read many detailed reviews, I'll try to limit mine to some tips/tricks that I've learned over the past two years I've used this device.

Maintaining flat, taut surfaces is key when using this epilator. Getting flesh/skin stuck in this thing is NOT fun. If there's a way to stretch the skin around, say, a bone, in order to get a flat surface, try to do it.

Also, proper pre-exfoliation and post-moisturization (ingrown/irritation prevention--especially for the bikini area), is a vital part of having successful epilating sessions.

I'll divide this into body parts--arms, armpits, legs, chin, and front + back bikini areas. Yeah, front and back. Lock your kids in the basement for that one: It's a heck of a ride.

Arms: I fear I don't epilate these areas enough for the pain to dissipate to the point where that, and time invested in epilation, is worth the end result. If my arm hair were coarser, this would be a different story, but mine is just fine enough so that I can shave it and not deal with horrible stubble. Since the skin on this area is rather taut on its own, epilating my arms is a breeze--I just have to watch out for the elbow crease, as well as the beginning parts of my armpits.

Armpits: I managed to figure out a way to epilate these without the aid of an additional set of hands. This sounds a lot more complicated than it is--I just suck at writing detailed explanations of physical motions. I raise my arm into the air, and then bend my elbow, place my thumb on top of my shoulder and grasp the armpit skin closest to my chest. I then use my ring and little fingers to extend the skin on the top part of my armpit upward, and my index and middle fingers to rotate the lower armpit skin outward toward my chest. I then epilate the skin using my left hand, use an extremely light touch, and go as slowly as needed. In the beginning, I used the "starter" head on this area, as the pain was nothing short of excruciating--and it didn't help that when the hairs came out, there was often a bit of blood involved. Now? I use the normal epilation head and barely feel a thing. I knew I had to push through that initial pain as my armpit hair is very dark and coarse--and just not worth the trouble of dealing with "close shaves" and stubble returning after eight hours. My epilator paid for itself simply by using it on my armpits.

Legs: GO SLOWLY. You're just going to have to go back over the same area twice if you don't. Epilate this area in bright light. I often use a finger on my opposite hand to remember the last area I epilated, as I don't like wasting time pecking for the hairy areas. You might have to move the epilator in different directions for some of the difficult/short hairs--I've adopted a sort of circular motion I do for this, where I lightly and slowly rotate the epilator over a small patch of skin. Be careful around the knees and the back of your leg behind the knee; I always use the rotating head guide for the knees, and have just managed to handle using the flat (I forget the name of it) guide for the back of my legs. Try to straighten your legs as much as possible for both areas.

Chin: This is one of those "go slowly and stretch the skin over bone" areas. I haven't been able to epilate any other parts of my face without extreme irritation, so I don't bother.

Front bikini area: This is a brutal area to epilate. At this point, I've managed to consistently remove hair from pretty much everything other than the labia majora. How did I get to that point? Just bearing with the pain and getting through it, doing as much as I could in each session. Sometimes that was just an inch. Sometimes? I actually used the pain sensations to my advantage, and did as much as possible because I stopped feeling anything other than throbbing numbness.

It's just too difficult to epilate some areas of the pubic hair, as the hairs grow in several different directions on top of having to deal with looser skin. Because of this, I tend to stick to the coarser hair, and just shave or wax the rest. Initially, I started with the "starter" head, but can actually use the normal head now on many part of it. I often don't, however, as it's far easier to grab skin with that one. I never use anything other than the roller attachment--again, the skin issue.

I'd highly recommend tackling this area in sections, which means planning the epilation around times when you'll be ok with uneven hair lengths. This is definitely a "stretch the skin" area--don't be afraid to explore the best ways for you ("flat plain," not "hills and valleys"), and don't be afraid to look like a bloody idiot in the process. I've pulled some Cirque du Soleil maneuvers, especially when I'm Manifesting Destiny and moving toward the...

Rear bikini area: Please ensure you're comfortable with 1) general epilation pain, 2) stretching/smoothing your skin/flesh and 3) your muscle flexibility, before attempting to epilate the anus and perineum. For me, this isn't even a pain issue (the hairs back there are fine)-- I simply lack room for error. Most of the time, I'm epilating solely by touch, so I move v e r y slowly, and always use the "starter" head.

While epilating, let your intuition guide you--if you're nervous, stop. If there's intolerable pain, stop. I won't lie--I've pushed through some tear-inducing pain while using this thing on my armpit and pubic areas. But I know my thresholds, and I'm also a bit insane. When my nerves become rattled by, say, grabbing some flesh in the epilator, I take a break or sometimes stop altogether. Dealing with apprehension of pain + shaking hands is just an accident waiting to happen.

My epilator is by far, by far, the best beauty device I've ever purchased. Once you learn your comfort levels while using it, the pleasures of epilated skin eclipse the pain + effort req

64 out of 66 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2009 3:14:00 PM More reviews by runjen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ugh! I want to love this thing, I really do. I have used it numerous times and actually don't find the pain all that horrendous. My secret is to have a glass of wine prior to epilating and I swear it makes it bearable.
I do love the smoothness that follows as well as the lack of evidence of hair getting ready to pop through the skin.
My big beef is that about two weeks after epilating, I get horrific ingrown hairs under the skin on my legs. To the point that I have to use a needle and tweezers to dig them out. This is then followed by my legs being such a mess that I have to wear pants until they heal. They become a red, infected mess.
Does anyone have a solution to this? I have tried exfoliating both before and after epilating but continue to get the ingrowns.
If I didn't get the ingrown hairs, I would honestly give this a 5 all around. I love the initial effect but just can not deal with what follows when the hair starts to grow back.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2009 12:28:00 PM More reviews by violoniste

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the pink and white Epi-X'elle.

I'm glad I didn't give up on this nifty device after the first few weeks of use, which personally I found somewhat discouraging. Over time, each epilation lasted longer and longer; the pain diminished from searing to tingling; and once I had yanked out enough complete hair cycles once or twice, there was no feeling of stubble left behind. So if, like me, you are disappointed with this within the first few weeks of use (pain, "stubble" left behind, needing to use it more frequently than the box would indicate), just hang in there for a few months. DH loves how my legs feel. I can run home, throw on a cocktail dress, and not have to worry about having to shave. It works GREAT on armpits (no 5 o'clock shadow!). Plus, there's just something pleasant and cathartic about knowing all those pesky hairs are getting yanked out that shaving doesn't give you. I wish I had the courage to try it on my bikini line, but after half a year of use, I still can't bring myself to go there... haha! My only tip would be to use it in daylight. The illuminator light does help, but nothing is better than bright sunlight to help you find any spots you may be missing. If this ever broke on me, I would definitely repurchase. At $70 (with Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon), it has already paid for itself in razor blades.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 8:58:00 PM More reviews by kimball

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the one with the starter head and the regular one, I only used the starter once or twice. I absolutely love this. I really can't use this on my arm pit area, it hurts like heck! My pain tolerance is high, but I could not take the pit area. That being said, for the legs it is second to none!! Over about 8 months, my leg hair is finer and I now epil about once a week. It saves water in the shower, and time for me, I would buy another in a heartbeat, if this one falls apart, but for now it's going strong. Try this if you get sick of shaving your legs all the time!