August 27, 2014 | 997 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Inimitable Intense Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 10:09:00 AM More reviews by Sari7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After hearing my coworker rave about how great this was, I finally tried when it went on sale.

The price: $30, The Tube: nice, light and compact, The actual mascara:

Goes on very nicely, doesn't clump, feels light and gives great separation. However, for me, it did not do any of what everyone raved about. There was no dramatic effect, no intense black color, not much lenghtening. While these are not negatives, I had higher expectations.

On the plus side, besides the first sentence above, it wears great all day, does not smear, does not irritate my eyes, great for every day wear and it's very easy to remove. I wore this on a 105 degree weather at night with humidity and pouring rain. It stayed on through a play, dinner and walks in the rain. And I'm a contact lens wearer.

Again, it's my every day mascara and would buy again once I'm out. But for a night time or dramatic effect, I'll stick to Chanel Le Volume.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Chanel Inimitable Intense: $30

Ugh!--NO, thank you! Let me tell you, this starts off beautiful, it applies lovely, makes my lashes long and thick, doesn't clump, it's just gorgeous, but within a few hours, it looks clumpy, goopy and just like old, nasty mascara that needs to come off my lashes NOW. I don't even know how this is possible; that the actual *look* of a mascara changing throughout the day. I mean, sure, mascaras lose curl or smudge, but I've never had a mascara actually change the way it looks on my lashes.

It's too bad because as I said, application is quite nice, with it's LashBlast-esque brush and deep pigmentation...I can get the full, dramatic look I want with very little time spent building it up. A little bit of volume and length and it holds curl...I *love* the look I get, so much, that I was willing to drop $30 on a tube. It doesn't smudge or flake on me either, and even through a little bit of light rain, it held its own on my oily self.
...Except for the way it looked.

Packaging is nice with a shiny, slightly rounded-squareish tube, and typical of Chanel, feels like quality in the hand but I'm returning this product and sticking with my drugstore favorites in the hideous orange and purple tubes: LashBlast and The Falsies.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by MrsNoir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love love love this mascara!
Even though it is super expensive, I think that it is worth the price for the results it gives. My lashes are a medium length but using this, they look really long and lush.
I don't know if it has fibres in it, but it doesn't appear to. I've had mascaras in the past that have fibres in them, and they end up flaking, and are very hard to remove.
This mascara is very easy to remove at the end of the day, but also stays on very well throughout the day. I am a photographer, and so my eye is regularly pressed against the view finder of my camera. Still this mascara doesn't flake off, which is a welcome treat, for sure!
Once this one has run out, I'll try out Benefit's They're Real, because I've read lots of great reviews about it, but I would definitely use this one again in the future also...it's just a shame it's so expensive!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by LHartford

Super expensive...but super awesome. This is probably my favorite mascara. I tend to switch between this, Bobbi Brown Extreme Party and Diorshow. This doesn't give a ton of volume but it does not clump or flake at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2013 4:07:00 AM More reviews by cahall2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'd been wanting to try this mascara for quite a while, and now that I have, I'm a bit disappointed. It's very black, which is lovely, and I was surprised that I liked the wand (it's one of those plastic bristle wands, which usually end up depositing too much mascara on my lashes and they all clump together).

But I'm just not that impressed with the formula. It's difficult to get nice separation on the lashes, and it doesn't wear all that well. After several hours I start to get little flakes.
My lashes are quite long, but they are blond and so I need my mascara to give me volume without the lashes all sticking together, and this only does it with quite a bit of work on my part.
I just don't think I should have to work this hard with a mascara that costs this much. I'd rather stick with DS and spend more on items that I won't have to toss after 3 months.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 5:45:00 PM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after returning my Diorshow mascara which I absolutely loathed! I bought this on a whim because I had heard that Chanel mascara's were great for girls with short eyelashes like me. I am caucasian but my eyelashes are really short and straight (like asian lashes) Shiseido, Lancome, Mac, Clinique etc NEVER worked for me. I am in love with Chanel's Inimitable Intense Mascara...Seriously it does wonders for me. I don't have over the top eyelashes or anything, but they have length and volume and there's no flaking or smudging (feels waterproof without actually being waterproof). This stuff is incredible. I will re-buy it forever until I find something better. It sucks it's almost $40 CND but it's worth it for a fab mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Superpurr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is definitely a holy grail mascara for me.

I had received a sample of this when I ordered my favorite perfume (Chance) from the Chanel website. I decided to try it out and.... WOW!

First off, my lashes are very soft, not very long and do not have much natural curl to them. This mascara completely transforms my lashes. It gives them a very deep and rich black color and the separation is awesome. I really only need a few swipes of a single dip from the tube to make my lashes really stand out. I never experience any clumping or flaking. My eyes are naturally very moist and I have perpetually struggled with smudging with other mascaras due to this -- not anymore! At the end of the day, I am able to easily take it off with makeup remover.

I have been searching high and low for the perfect mascara for me. I have tried many drugstore brands and some higher end ones as well (e.g. DiorShow - meh). None of them have come close to this. Since I loved the sample so much, I decided to get the full size. Yes it is expensive at $30, but for me it is totally worth it. I'm a firm believer that if you find something that you absolutely love, really works for you and you use it all the time, then it's worth spending more for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by charmedbella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This has replaced Lancome Hypnose Drama as my new favorite mascara! I received a sample after a Chanel online purchase back in February and I was hooked! It goes on smooth, no clumps, and lengthens my lashes. I already have long lashes, but this makes my lashes look fake! What I also love about this mascara is that it doesn't smudge after a full day like my Hypnose Drama often would after a long day at work. This is a HUGE plus for me!

Hands down the best mascara I've ever used ... and I've used A LOT over the years!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 2:06:00 AM More reviews by DiamondTiaras

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This does everything: darkens, thickens, lengthens, curls, and adds a dose of sexy, sophisticated false lash effect to every eye look. I've said before over the years in other reviews on MUA that mascara is nearly as personal as perfume, but it cannot be stated enough. I think a good mascara review should include a few details, such as the natural state of the reviewer's lashes (mine are of average thickness, slightly long, naturally curled on the outer corners), their eye shape and size (very round, "Bette Davis eyes" and large), the type of brush size they prefer (average to fat, as I need full impact to accommodate my eye shape), and the effect they are looking for (drama, drama, drama without clumps).

Inimitable Intense fits the bill for me on every level. Unlike most Dior mascaras, which are nice in general, this one never weighs my lashes down or reverses the curl imparted by my Shiseido eyelash curler. I don't use a lash maximizer with this formula, because I honestly don't need to. This mascara also lasts me a long time, I can get four months or so if I keep it tightly sealed and stored in a drawer in my bedroom vanity. Also, I love how it takes a TON of crying to get this one to run. I wear contact lenses, and I have allergies, but even when my eyes water, Inimitable Intense stays put. Furthermore, many mascaras irritate my eyes (I can't use anything from the drug store for this reason) but Chanel's do not. Finally, the formula is pretty easy to remove. I use the Lisa Eldridge method of soaking a cotton round with eye makeup remover (I love Sephora Instant, it's never sticky and always gentle) and placing it over my closed lid for 30 to 40 seconds. After I wash my face, this mascara is all gone, every time.

Overall, this is my holy grail mascara. The price isn't exactly fun at $30 a tube, but I have never found anything quite like it. In this case, I fully believe you get what you pay for. Make nice with a Chanel SA and ask for a sample with your next purchase. I can't guarantee you will love it as much as I do, but I'm willing to bet you might!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2013 1:42:00 AM More reviews by gagag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Flaky. Fallout. Mess.

I received this as a sample from Chanel. I have somewhat thick, very long black lashes. This clumped almost immediately, and flaked something awful within minutes. By the end of the evening it looked as though I had a grey cast under my eyes and across my cheekbones - and that was all from the mascara! Based on the brand, there's no way I would have predicted such terrible results. Why, Chanel, why?? I can understand the occasional flake, a little clump as the product ages - but this was brand new, directly from Chanel in a sealed package! And what's with the dark cast?! I've tried this several times and there are ALWAYS flakes, let alone the unmistakable dark hue that appears beneath my eyes as the hours roll by. While I liked the dense brush and its shape, and although it seemed to reach every eyelash, overall this was a complete fail. I've been searching for a high-end mascara to wear on its own. This wasn't it. The only Chanel product I've come across that disappointed miserably. What a nightmare.