October 2, 2014 | 1049 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by poppyplastic

I am reviewing the UK formulation:

The efficacy of this product depends largely on how often you use it. You should decide how often you need it based on how congested/scarred your skin, or areas of your skin, are. What I am certain about is that you must use this every day to see a result. I believe EVERYONE will notice a significant improvement after two weeks provided they do.

My forehead has very mild blackheads and seldom breaks out; one daily application is adequate to treat this. My chin, on the other hand, is very congested with closed comedones (or bumps/whiteheads) and breaks out very regularly, which has left a sea of red scars - two daily applications are needed for skin this congested. The only products which had worked prior to treat my chin were benzyl peroxide which made my skin dry, irritated and very flaky; and regular daily applications of tea trea oil which turned out to be very expensive to maintain. Neither of these treatments cleared my blocked pores.

This product has been the only thing EVER to effectively clear my whiteheads and subsequently reduce the frequency of breakouts. It does not dry my skin out very much at all, but will not be as hydrating as a normal moisturiser. My red marks have dramatically faded. This improvement only came when I started using it EVERY day and used it appropriately for my face.

I apply it to my chin morning and night after cleansing. In the morning I apply a non-greasy SPF on top to protect the new skin coming through, but usually don't apply an extra cream at night. If my forehead gets a bit bumpy, I will put it on at night and follow with a moisturiser usually as my skin is dry. I use a pea-sized amount for my entire chin area.

Stubborn skin problems can really make you down, but I promise that this method will help. Unless it irritates your skin, be patient and wait for a couple of weeks and you'll realise one day how much your skin has actually improved! I must add that it REALLY lasts a long time and has proven to be MUCH cheaper than my tea tree oil routine!

This product is fragranced.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by katiechristine12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

You guys! This product is honestly amazing. I use it along with the Effeclar cleanser and toner and it's been wonderful. First of all, I have dry, sensitive skin and have been suffering from adult acne for the last year or so. To put things in perspective, even gentle cleansers like Cetaphil made my dry skin worse. I've tried a lot of holistic treatments for my skin but haven't had any luck. I was a little hesitant to try this as other medicated acne products tend to make my dry skin worse but I'm happy to tell you these products have not made my skin dry! In fact, the dry patches I had are now completely gone. My skin is so much smoother and hydrated. Also, my acne is almost completely gone and I've only been using this product for 4 nights! I'm just so stinkin' happy. Finally a product that does what it says it will do. It's incredibly gentle on my sensitive and skin and well worth every penny. I know everyone is different, but I recommend you give it a shot!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Angelbix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this duo the acne treatment is a generous amount and it works. I am 47 and still get acne flare ups around the time of the month and this dries them right up. The tube is sanitary too I like the needle nose tip so that the product doesn't gunk up and get crusty are pound the opening. The moisturizer I use daily and it is the only moisturizer that doesn't leave me feeling greasy during the day. I use it under my makeup before applying Laura Geller spackle primer and it leaves a matte but soft texture. I only wish it came in a larger size. I have gone through nearly two of the moisturizers already. These products can be found at Target which I love because then I don't have to buy them at a beauty or department store. Major convenience factor there! I would say they are comparable to higher end products that are sold at the department stores. One minor complaint- I wish the moisturizer weren't so scented. I am not a fan of the smell but it's not overwhelming or anything. I just would prefer a fragrance free product for my face.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by biojenni

i used it above 4 months and didnt work to me,it was like just a moisturizer,dindnt help with my acné.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2014 5:40:00 AM More reviews by encee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

To start with, I have adult acne that usually appears on the cheeks & forehead. These are the irritating cystic ones & I would grapple at things to put on it once they make their appearance. This product was recommended by a friend whose acne doesn't seem to look worse than mine. First night of usage, I woke up to soft, supple skin, with the impression that the comedos had somehow melted overnight. My skin seemed to be improving, apart from softness... skin texture looks slightly refined, seems to be controlling oil under makeup as a base, im so pleased with this instant magic. However on the 4th day, some demeaning cysts appeared on the cheeks, as well as smaller ones, on the common trouble areas. Im not the lucky ones that went happy without a purging effect. I wish to think that it's purging, instead of the product just being wrong for me. So once the acne appears, I would go back to my Estee Lauder ANRS2 to normalise it. Fab product for cystic-acne sufferers, but gotta brave through the purging phase.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by jdublew

I have reactive/sensitive acne prone skin. I tried this twice. used this as a moisturiser and I broke out in an itchy rash all over my face. .For some reason I tested this on my underarm and got no reaction before applying on my face which reacted . So sadly not for me

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by amybar1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm writing a review after using and finishing a whole bottle of this product. I live in UK so I guess it's not the same formula as States. Anyways, this product has done nothing to me, neither prevent break-out, neither make my acne scars go away or at least fade a bit. I've been using this product morning and nights. Pure argan oil does such a better job in smoothening skin and making scars fade away, I wouldn't definitely waste my money in this product that have such high claims.
Such a shame, it did had amazing review on Paula's choice, but didn't worked out for me at all, I have the same amount, even more now, of pimples. Pointless.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 4:12:00 AM More reviews by sgordeevs

Really an amazing product! It smoothes my skin, evens out the skin tone and hydrates it. My skin just looks so different and bright with this product. It also does not irritate my skin one bit.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Teenitinytina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I am on my second tube of it. At first after running out the first tube I decided to look for a cheaper alternative but my skin returned to its pre- effaclar duo condition. I don't have terrible skin or acne. I only get hormonal pimples around my mouth and chin area. It works so well to quell the pimples from getting bigger. BTW I buy it from shoppers drug mart in Canada.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2014 8:59:00 PM More reviews by etoileviolette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have bought and re-bought this product numerous times. This is my HG acne product. Let me start by saying I have the Canadian/European version of this, in that it contains salicylic acid and not benzoyl peroxide like the U.S. version. I came across this product when I was buying Clean & Clear Persa-Gel (benzoyl peroxide) cream at Shopper's Drug Mart and the beauty expert ringing me through told me that it (the Clean & Clear) was horrible/destructive on skin and gave me samples of this product. I cannot thank her enough! This is the best! It smells vaguely of orange blossom (IMO), is a cross between a serum and a cream, and very light and gentle on the skin although effective. This product has helped me keep my skin (relatively) clear for the last 4 years. Initially, I'd use this every day, morning and night. My skin seems to have changed overtime, so I only use this every so often; when I notice my skin is congested (a certain time of the month) or I've been eating poorly. I don't break-out like I use to. I might be clear for a couple months and then get the odd pimple, although it clears up so much faster when I use this product. When I use this in the morning, I typically use a moiturizer over top since my skin has become dehydrated as I've gotten older; nothing over it at night, though. Best part: no benzoyl peroxide, no more ruining my clothes/towels/sheets! My skin isn't super dry, flakey, and irritated! In addition, it works really well under make-up, not pilling on the skin. (I wouldn't say it replaces a primer, but doesn't cause make-up to wear faster than if your skin was bare/moisturizer only.) I love/believe in this so much that I will definitely buy this for my children when they are teenagers to help with their skin, if they inherit my & their father's acne.