La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo

3.5

Salicylic acid - 0.5% aqua, glycerin, cyclohexasiloxane, hydrogenated polyisobutene, niacinamide, isopropyl lauroyl sarcosinate, ammonium polyacryloyldimethyl taurate, silica, mathyl methacrylate crosspolymer, glyceryl stearate se, piroctone olamine, caprylloyl glycine, myristyl myristate, potassium cetyl phosphate, capryloyl salicylic acid, caprylyl glycol, sodium hydroxide, zinc pca, nylon-12, linoleic acid, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, parfum.

on 11/30/2014 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I consider this my HG Acne spot treatment including cysts!! Holy moly this stuff is intense but when you absolutely need to get of a zit fast, Effaclar duo (US Version) is it. I would not use this like the European Version, it's not even close to being the same formula. So do not use allover unless you have skin of steel. As a spot treatment it kills spots almost overnight but can leave the face a little tender afterward. It's the combo of the 5.5% Bp and the LHA but it's basically a Zit bomb. I even had it clear a cyst overnight and that is no small feat.

I am using the Effaclar line at night for adult hormonal acne (a touch of folliculitis too, isn't perimenopause fun!). In the morning I use much more gentler products, but still use the clarifying lotion which is gentle for something with AHA in it. But this stuff is the star of Acne kit. I got the 3 piece set at CVS with a 30% shopping coupon. Ended up being around $15 with discounts and is supposed to last 2 months. A Little goes a long way. I know the tube is small but you literally need a dot for each zit. So Buying the full sized one should last at least 6 months to a year.

on 11/16/2014 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I developed adult acne and went through so many products from drug store to high end. I find that this product works well at drying pimples and preventing cystic acne from getting larger if you put it on at the first sign. It can really be drying so there is a delicate balance with properly hydrating the skin as to not make acne worse. I use it mainly at night and it can bleach/stain your pillow cases so use a cover or a pillow case you dont care about. Love this product, will buy again.

on 11/14/2014 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Effaclar Duo (the US version with 5.5% benzoyl peroxide) for around 4 months now and bought it in an attempt to alleviate the severity of my acne. For reference, I have oily skin, suffer from cystic breakouts, and my breakouts leave me with hyperpigmentation. I've been on antibiotics (Doxycycline) and Retin-A, but my acne came back after 6 months of finishing the antibiotics and retin-a didn't seem to be effective anymore.

After reading a lot of reviews about how Effaclar Duo worked in lessening breakouts, I decided to give it a try. I had my hesitations about it since other products I've tried pretty much claimed the same thing but failed to live up to its promises. I'm glad I gave Effaclar Duo a chance because it has made my skin do a complete 180! First, it really does lessen the severity and frequency of breakouts. As I mentioned earlier, I used to suffer from cystic acne. After using Effaclar Duo, when I do get breakouts it's actually on the surface of the skin and actually comes to head - something that never happened before with my acne. Second, it does prevent breakouts for me personally. I currently only suffer from monthly hormonal breakouts during that time of the month rather than all the time.

I use it on my affected areas (lower cheeks & sometimes my chin & forehead) once a night. I'll also apply a little more product on my breakouts if I have any at the time. It took my skin about a week to get used to the product so I did peel a bit. I use Effaclar Duo in conjunction my spot treatment, Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion, and I use healing patches (Skinfood's Trouble Clear Spot Patch) to speed up the healing process and to minimize any peeling. Out of all the products listed above however, the heavy lifter is the Effaclar Duo! It makes the biggest difference in my skin.

Although everyone's skin is different and subsequently results will differ, I do believe any acne sufferer should at least give this product a try! You never know, Effaclar Duo just might be that one acne product out there that really makes a difference on your skin!

on 11/14/2014 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used this for 3 years now, and I am on my 4th or 5th tube. I use it once during the day, and I only use a pea-sized amount sparingly on my T-zone area.

I really like this product. I love the formula of it and I love that it works. In contrast to what it claims on their website, this product does not offer '24 hour long lasting hydration' nor 'long lasting mattity'. It does however, live up to its 'fresh gel cream' that 'absorbs quickly for a non-oily finish'.

Again, it is one of those products that works to slow or prevent new breakouts. I have read reviews that 'this product does nothing for my skin' or ' this doesn't work'. I truly believe that it does work, it is just that it prevents breakouts which might be why you can't see its effects.

When I was hospitalised last year due to some minor infection, the only thing I could use on my face was a cleanser. So for five days, my skin was terribly oily, and without my trusty products, my skin became terribly clogged up with white heads, black heads and milia. I was horrified. When I was discharged, I haven't had the time to unclog my pores. So I only used this as my only source of salicylic acid then. I kid you not, the blackheads which was protruding out of the skin surface, sunk in. Yes, just by this product alone.

What I love:

- the packaging

- 40 ml of product, which is a third more than the usual 30ml bottles for the same price

- lightweight formula

- effective at preventing breakouts

- Has salicylic acid & LHA ( Beta lipohydroxy acid)
LHA is similiar to salicylic acid, but gentler and better. With antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anticomedogenic properties. (For those interested in the whole biology behind it: source )

- Zinc PCA :
reduces sebum production, prevents wrinkle formation and anti bacterial (source)
( oddly, this is not published by the La Roche Posay team)

- Niacinamide :
Said to reduce fine lines, improve hyper-pigmentation and yellowing of the skin, and helps improve skin elasticity (source)

- Piroctone olamine : anti bacterial properties
( Interestingly, it also has anti-fungal properties, and best known for its use as an anti-dandruff agent. I guess it's always nice to know my face is protected from fungal attacks? source 1 pg 13 )

What I do not like :

- the starting price is around SGD 38 , which is quite pricy for a salicylic acid product

To avoid this post being overly long, the full post can be found :

on 10/24/2014 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HG product. I've used up three or four tubes of this cream. The last one was the new formula (Effaclar Duo+), the rest where the old one. I can't really tell if the new formula is better because I think my skin got used to it and I'm currently looking for something else but I might come back to it eventually.
I got this prescribed from a dermatologist for my acne (as well as antibiotics) and it did wonders about my face. I used this every night and it helped clear my acne and after that I was almost never getting spots which was amazing! It's hydrating as well and it has a pretty great smell IMO. It's sort of pricey but it is so, so worth it! A tube of this cream lasts me about 3 or 4 months.

on 10/14/2014 3:38:00 PM

I have been using this product on and off for years. It smells nice, it is easy to apply. Unfortunately, it dries my skin badly and you can see the flakes on my chin, forehead and nose- exactly where I need this cream to work its magic!
So now I use it just on pimples and cysts and it is alright. It makes the smaller but it is not magic.
EDIT- 16.11.2014 -I am not using this product anymore because I found a much better product for my skin problems- it is a mask that has clay, azelaic acid and sulphur--now this mask is magic.

on 10/14/2014 4:00:00 AM

I cannot find enough good words to say on this product! I have combination/oily skin, acne prone with clogged pores. After a little bit of on line research I thought to give this one a try. It is amazing! I am using it for about two weeks now and I still cannot believe how smooth my skin feels and looks! I am using it day and night after my serum and before my moisterizer. I can definitely confirm that it does what it says (at least for my skin type!).

on 10/12/2014 7:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I use La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo + morning and night, though I'm not actually sure what it is doing for my skin, as I see no difference at all when using it.

It's not too greasy, and works as a good but light moisturiser when skin isn't too parched. I have very dry skin so sometimes this is not enough on its own.

My spots do not go drastically quicker when applying these to my face, nor does this prevent scars or redness on my face from previous spots.

Overall I am not very crazy over this product as I am really uncertain about what it is doing to my skin, I've been using it for over 2 months now and can't say it's doing anything amazing.

on 10/11/2014 7:06:00 AM

Love. Love. Love. I actually use this as a night moisturiser and although the tube looks small, it is still going strong after 8 months daily use. As someone who had very bad breakouts in the past, I must say this has certainly kept them at bay, I only get one or two minor pimples here and now. Having said that, it is a bit pricey in my opinion, but if you are willing to shell out $20+ dollars (in Australia that is) for a reliable product, this baby will be great for helping you say good bye to breakouts. Feels very soothing on the skin, and has a nice faint scent.

on 10/4/2014 7:18:00 AM

Acne and spot treatment that works for me! Don't expect to get rid of them overnight, it takes a while and sometimes make my skin look ugly as it brings out bumps into surface before it dries out and gets gone. But once it clears out the skin, it DOES clear out! It unclogs my pores very nicely. I don't have any blackheads and whiteheads anymore since using this product every morning and night. It controls oil as well. Now I am more confident going out without makeup bcause my skin is naturally smoother and matte. Will always keep one on the drawer whenever I need a spot treatment!

Popular Treatments (Face)