La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo

3.5

Salicylic acid - 0.5% aqua, glycerin, cyclohexasiloxane, hydrogenated polyisobutene, niacinamide, isopropyl lauroyl sarcosinate, ammonium polyacryloyldimethyl taurate, silica, mathyl methacrylate crosspolymer, glyceryl stearate se, piroctone olamine, caprylloyl glycine, myristyl myristate, potassium cetyl phosphate, capryloyl salicylic acid, caprylyl glycol, sodium hydroxide, zinc pca, nylon-12, linoleic acid, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, parfum.

on 1/8/2015 11:23:00 AM

This is hands down the worst moisturizer I've ever tried in my life.
I washed my skin with the Effaclar Gel Moussant in the morning and then I applied the moisturizer on my face and neck. It didn't add any moisture to my skin at all, if anything it left it feeling dryer than what it was.
I didn't wear any makeup that day just so that I could see the actual results. The only result was an itchy skin during the whole day, however, I thought I would give it a try because everyone kept saying how good it was so I repeated the same process that night before going to sleep. The worst decision after purchasing it.
The next morning I woke up with a terrible rash on my skin that felt like I had burnt it, loads of pimples and dry patches. I've never had my skin like that and it was a complete shock, thankfully I didn't need to go out that day. The only thing that helped with the burning sensation on my face was coconut oil and going back to my Vichy Normaderm. It has been a couple of days and my skin is still a bit dehydrated and there are some small pimples left.
Obviously I've thrown it away and I've decided not to purchase anything from La Roche Posay never again.

on 12/31/2014 2:04:00 PM

The review is for the European formula. After reading a lot of hype about this product online I thought it could help with my hormonal spots, acne marks and the occasional spot on my face. I have acne prone combination skin which is sensitive, and breakouts easily. I've been using the product for four weeks now, twice a day under my moisturiser. For the first two weeks I really liked how my skin looked (even with a few spots I was getting from it) even complexion, make up goes over top nicely and healed pimples quickly, but now the fourth week in, I have way more blackheads on my nose, chin and forehead and huge pimples popping up on my forehead and chin. Not sure how long this "purging" stage is supposed to last, and whether or not to stick it out a bit longer, but certainly not impressed at the moment.

on 12/17/2014 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I just came back from the bathroom from washing my face the 3rd time today (you're supposed to wash 2x a day) because this product STINGS!! I used to buy Effaclar AI from my local CVS store, but they stopped carrying that and so decided to buy Duo. First of all, this product does help dry out acne. I would say it takes about a week for it to completely disappear. So why am I giving this a 2 star? It's because this product stings my face to the point where I can't sleep at night. I feel like I need to claw my face out!! I also double checked with my derm on how and why my skin reacts to this product. He agrees that any acne products that feel uncomfortable on your skin should be stopped. He also said that it doesn't necessarily mean a product is working if you get a stinging reaction, it just means I need to find something better. :(
So yeah, I just threw away my full tube of Duo in the trash can.

I suffer with hormonal spots that are huge, under the skin boils that hurt and stay for about 10 days, after that there is the post blemish makr for about 6 months!

I bought this product and applied to my entire face but found it very drying, therefore I now only use it on my chin where I am most likely to break out, at first I was using it morning and evening daily until the blemish's disappeared, now I only use it twice a week to keep those boils away and I can say that it does work, you don't need much product and can say this stuff is fantastic.

It doesn't do anything to reduce the post blemish scarring, so I am using bio oil, I have now been using this 2 months and not had one of those horrible spots and I usually get them monthly! Another trick is, if your spots are purely hormonal, try taking evening primrose oil - this also helps!

on 11/30/2014 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I consider this my HG Acne spot treatment including cysts!! Holy moly this stuff is intense but when you absolutely need to get of a zit fast, Effaclar duo (US Version) is it. I would not use this like the European Version, it's not even close to being the same formula. So do not use allover unless you have skin of steel. As a spot treatment it kills spots almost overnight but can leave the face a little tender afterward. It's the combo of the 5.5% Bp and the LHA but it's basically a Zit bomb. I even had it clear a cyst overnight and that is no small feat.

I am using the Effaclar line at night for adult hormonal acne (a touch of folliculitis too, isn't perimenopause fun!). In the morning I use much more gentler products, but still use the clarifying lotion which is gentle for something with AHA in it. But this stuff is the star of Acne kit. I got the 3 piece set at CVS with a 30% shopping coupon. Ended up being around $15 with discounts and is supposed to last 2 months. A Little goes a long way. I know the tube is small but you literally need a dot for each zit. So Buying the full sized one should last at least 6 months to a year.

on 11/16/2014 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I developed adult acne and went through so many products from drug store to high end. I find that this product works well at drying pimples and preventing cystic acne from getting larger if you put it on at the first sign. It can really be drying so there is a delicate balance with properly hydrating the skin as to not make acne worse. I use it mainly at night and it can bleach/stain your pillow cases so use a cover or a pillow case you dont care about. Love this product, will buy again.

on 11/14/2014 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've been using Effaclar Duo (the US version with 5.5% benzoyl peroxide) for around 4 months now and bought it in an attempt to alleviate the severity of my acne. For reference, I have oily skin, suffer from cystic breakouts, and my breakouts leave me with hyperpigmentation. I've been on antibiotics (Doxycycline) and Retin-A, but my acne came back after 6 months of finishing the antibiotics and retin-a didn't seem to be effective anymore.

After reading a lot of reviews about how Effaclar Duo worked in lessening breakouts, I decided to give it a try. I had my hesitations about it since other products I've tried pretty much claimed the same thing but failed to live up to its promises. I'm glad I gave Effaclar Duo a chance because it has made my skin do a complete 180! First, it really does lessen the severity and frequency of breakouts. As I mentioned earlier, I used to suffer from cystic acne. After using Effaclar Duo, when I do get breakouts it's actually on the surface of the skin and actually comes to head - something that never happened before with my acne. Second, it does prevent breakouts for me personally. I currently only suffer from monthly hormonal breakouts during that time of the month rather than all the time.

I use it on my affected areas (lower cheeks & sometimes my chin & forehead) once a night. I'll also apply a little more product on my breakouts if I have any at the time. It took my skin about a week to get used to the product so I did peel a bit. I use Effaclar Duo in conjunction my spot treatment, Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion, and I use healing patches (Skinfood's Trouble Clear Spot Patch) to speed up the healing process and to minimize any peeling. Out of all the products listed above however, the heavy lifter is the Effaclar Duo! It makes the biggest difference in my skin.

Although everyone's skin is different and subsequently results will differ, I do believe any acne sufferer should at least give this product a try! You never know, Effaclar Duo just might be that one acne product out there that really makes a difference on your skin!

on 11/14/2014 9:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used this for 3 years now, and I am on my 4th or 5th tube. I use it once during the day, and I only use a pea-sized amount sparingly on my T-zone area.

I really like this product. I love the formula of it and I love that it works. In contrast to what it claims on their website, this product does not offer '24 hour long lasting hydration' nor 'long lasting mattity'. It does however, live up to its 'fresh gel cream' that 'absorbs quickly for a non-oily finish'.

Again, it is one of those products that works to slow or prevent new breakouts. I have read reviews that 'this product does nothing for my skin' or ' this doesn't work'. I truly believe that it does work, it is just that it prevents breakouts which might be why you can't see its effects.

When I was hospitalised last year due to some minor infection, the only thing I could use on my face was a cleanser. So for five days, my skin was terribly oily, and without my trusty products, my skin became terribly clogged up with white heads, black heads and milia. I was horrified. When I was discharged, I haven't had the time to unclog my pores. So I only used this as my only source of salicylic acid then. I kid you not, the blackheads which was protruding out of the skin surface, sunk in. Yes, just by this product alone.

What I love:

- the packaging

- 40 ml of product, which is a third more than the usual 30ml bottles for the same price

- lightweight formula

- effective at preventing breakouts

- Has salicylic acid & LHA ( Beta lipohydroxy acid)
LHA is similiar to salicylic acid, but gentler and better. With antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anticomedogenic properties. (For those interested in the whole biology behind it: source )

- Zinc PCA :
reduces sebum production, prevents wrinkle formation and anti bacterial (source)
( oddly, this is not published by the La Roche Posay team)

- Niacinamide :
Said to reduce fine lines, improve hyper-pigmentation and yellowing of the skin, and helps improve skin elasticity (source)

- Piroctone olamine : anti bacterial properties
( Interestingly, it also has anti-fungal properties, and best known for its use as an anti-dandruff agent. I guess it's always nice to know my face is protected from fungal attacks? source 1 pg 13 )

What I do not like :

- the starting price is around SGD 38 , which is quite pricy for a salicylic acid product

To avoid this post being overly long, the full post can be found :

on 10/24/2014 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HG product. I've used up three or four tubes of this cream. The last one was the new formula (Effaclar Duo+), the rest where the old one. I can't really tell if the new formula is better because I think my skin got used to it and I'm currently looking for something else but I might come back to it eventually.
I got this prescribed from a dermatologist for my acne (as well as antibiotics) and it did wonders about my face. I used this every night and it helped clear my acne and after that I was almost never getting spots which was amazing! It's hydrating as well and it has a pretty great smell IMO. It's sort of pricey but it is so, so worth it! A tube of this cream lasts me about 3 or 4 months.

on 10/14/2014 3:38:00 PM

I have been using this product on and off for years. It smells nice, it is easy to apply. Unfortunately, it dries my skin badly and you can see the flakes on my chin, forehead and nose- exactly where I need this cream to work its magic!
So now I use it just on pimples and cysts and it is alright. It makes the smaller but it is not magic.
EDIT- 16.11.2014 -I am not using this product anymore because I found a much better product for my skin problems- it is a mask that has clay, azelaic acid and sulphur--now this mask is magic.

Popular Treatments (Face)