Jessica Simpson - Fancy Nights

3.7

I bought this fragrance without smelling it first because it was heavily discounted at TJmaxx, and since I like Jessica Simpson's other perfumes I thought I would chance it. When I sprayed it for the first time, I thought I had made a mistake. It was stronger and more mature than I'm used to. However, the scent became more welcoming as it dried. If you can get past the initial spray, you might find it to be more unique than the typical celebrity fragrance. You won't need a lot though and it's probably best for the evening.

on 9/23/2012 1:32:00 AM

I'd wondered for a while whether I should buy this fragrance. I already own Shalimar and Samsara and many other oriental scents, but the beautiful green bottle of Nights was a big selling point for me, despite my existing inventory. Plus, I love incense, and I burn Japanese incense sticks all the time. Smelling like incense is a dream come true for me, so naturally, I love the spicy, woodsy, warm smell of this perfume. I think it is most similar to Shalimar, but Shalimar has a very crisp, almost effervescent citrus note at the very top that I find must settle down before the fragrance smells its best. Nights is more smoky right from the top.

I don't spray Nights directly onto my body. I spray it above my head and allow it to mist upon my neck and shoulders. I think this scent could come across as too sharp and heady if one were to blast it directly onto their pulse points, but when the fragrance fans out, it smells warm, smoky, and balanced.

As with Fancy Love, I'm very surprised by the quality and loveliness of Jessica Simpson's perfumes. I may avoid her music as best I can, but I think her fragrances are respectable and worth looking into.

on 7/29/2012 2:07:00 PM

What a fascinating fragrance! It opens with vanilla and a wierd, fairly horrible note - combo of rubber and onions. If you can grit your teeth and wait it out, rubber/onions resolves into wood and spice, and this dries down (after about 5 minutes) into a delicious, sweet, powdery fragrance with a light hit of spice. The sillage varies between non-existent to A Lotta Woman, and it often dries down to near nothing. On the other hand, overzealous spraying has resulted in the paint in my room bubbling up and neighbors complaining. So, start with a light hand.

I love the beautiful emerald bottle, and while I'd like more longevity (and less onion -- the rubber I could probably live with briefly) overall, this is really good. I have a suspicion -- some perfumer found this aromachemical that dries down to a beautiful spicy/powder but has an appalling opening. For years she's been trying to talk people into using it in fragrances with no luck. Finally the chemical went on crazy sale and Fancy Nights has such a low price point that they used it figuring it would shake out in cost.

I'm absolutely wrong, of course... but wouldn't it be a great story.

I wouldn't give this as a gift without a huge qualifier, and some may not be able to wait out that ghastly opening, but if you can, it's totally worth it! Just... don't apply this around anyone else or in an enclosed space!

I like this it's sweetened, tamed patchouli, ambery wood and mideastern incense and powder. It's a kind of daytime sultry. It's a bit too tame for a nightime perfume.

It has good sillage and the lasting power is quite good.

I like the bottle design too, it seems to suit the mideastern tone of this perfume.

on 6/3/2012 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got this on sale at a boutique store steinmart for 15.00 )- I love all the other Jessica fragrances so I wanted to try this, its definately a spicy, sexy mystical fragrance. The dry down is awesome very spicy and it reminds me of the old estee lauder youth dew my mom wore in the 70's . This makes you feel sexy & hippy-ish at the same time. I love the staying power and all her fragrances are great!

on 3/24/2012 9:39:00 PM

Saw alot of this on sale and spritzed some on...left the store...went home...went back next day and bought a bottle for 19 bucks. It reminded me of fragrances from the 60's. Back then alot of the heavier scents had amber to them and the amber in this just works beautifully. It does bring to mind Tabu and even Anne Klein II in a very good way. I really like this alot...I'm just bummed I've added to Jessica Simpson's billion dollar empire. Fancy that!

on 2/20/2012 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Definitely not what I was expecting as I bought this blind without knowing what the notes were-initial spritz was HELLO PATCHOULI!! but it lightened up and became this very seductive,gorgeous scent that I could see a man OR woman pulling off.You definitely need to use a light hand with this one but if you can get past the sharpness of the first spritz it is well worth it.Definitely not for everyone:can see this being a love/hate scent....I happen to love it.It's a cool,drizzly day out and this is perfect.It reminds me of some other scent....
It kinda has a Tabu vibe to it-like I said:a love/hate fragrance for sure and definitely not for people that tend towards fruity florals.I think it's just lovely and cannot get over how different this is from the original.

on 2/8/2012 11:26:00 AM

This is such a lucky day for me coz I got this perfume (which I've been wanting to get for quite a while) for 50% off. I've read lots of great reviews about it that made me more excited to own it. I got the very first Jessica Simpson perfume calles Fancy and 'loved it, so I looked forward to her series of scents. I'm not good at describing scents by detail but this one is pleasantly very different among the scents in my collection. I imagine a fairy with ethereal beauty walking in the woods of wonderland. 'Not sure if that made sense, but it just came to my mindupon smelling this. And of course, the bottle is a beautiful gem color. It's pure feminity and loveliness in a bottle! I would not limit myself to wear it at night. It's a scent to wear when u want a bold,sexy and sophisticated smell.

on 11/1/2011 9:18:00 PM

Please don't be put off by celebrity label or expect this to be sweet/foody like Fancy, it is very good. Patchouli, vanilla, amber et al with great sillage and staying power. A real warm sexy fragrance that needs warm skin to bloom. Gorgeous, and to think I nearly missed this one through prejudice! I live and learn.

on 9/22/2011 2:34:00 PM

I tried Fancy Nights on the recommendation of some fellow fumies, and they were right. I am both surprised & impressed by this fragrance.

It is much better than it needs to be.

Fancy Nights is wonderfully dark patchouli-vanilla that's relatively simple, a bit sweet, and just on the femme side of unisex. Would make a great fragrance for a rocker-chick or anyone who likes fragrances slightly gothic. In fact, Fancy Nights is much more rocker-chick than Vivienne Westwood's Let It Rock and much more gothic than Loree Rodkin's Gothic I, both of which I own.

Those who are expecting this scent to be like Fancy, or any other sugar-laden confection in the mass market, are sure to be disappointed by Fancy Nights. Good thing too, because now this fragrance can be yours for a song. I might just get me another bottle ...

Popular Fragrances