December 21, 2014 | 1387 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - LUSH - Colour Supplement

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by goldspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm willing to shell out extra money for good skin care and cosmetics...but this brand is disgusting..2 of the products i purchased,,were horrible.. the color supplement and calamine face wash- apart from the some boob cream given to me as a sample. All 3 were of poor quality.. I made the mistake of testing the products on the back of my hand as opposed to the face. By the time i get home and try them...the color supplement felt horrible on the skin like a layer of fat, even mixed in with a moisturizer the texture was unbearable. The calamine/seaweed face wash did nothng for my face....NOTHinG!even when i asked the sales person if it lathers up, he claimed it did. so i figured it would wash off the oils/dirt off my face, it didnt budge anything on my face... and the boob cream sample.. it does absolutly nothing for the skin... PPL PLS PLS save your money , you can get a designer brand skincare cosmetic for the same amount of money!!!!

if i could give LUSH a negatve lippy i would.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2013 12:33:00 PM More reviews by judiness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the second time I purchase this product. The first time I bought it I took it in light pink. Now I've switch to light yellow which is paler and better to cover up redness.

This is really more of a tinted moisturizer than anything else. I would avoid using it on oily skin. It gives a nice dewy glow and light coverage. I think most women need three types of foundation, a tinted moisturizer, a medium coverage foundation and a made up foundation. This is my favorite in the tinted moisturizer category.

You really can't build it up, but like I said this is not really a foundation. I use it mixed 2 third and 1 third of moisturizer. I apply it with my hands and I finish it with a bit of powder. It doesn't irritate my skin and I'm just a glow addict. This isn't the type of product that would work on everyone, but if you have a match and your skin is on the dryer side I would give this a go.

In Canada this costs around 0.85$ per gram.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by Aiiisha

I Love the colour as well, such a great shade and look very natural ! But it is toooo oily and brings acne to my face. So I think it is great for dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by msjohns888

I have NC25 skin and prefer the Dark Yellow color. I like to mix it with my lotion or start from the nose and work out with a small amount after my concealer. Then I top it with mineral power and a neutral blush. It lasts for ever. Does not contain silicones that some, like myself my be sensitive to (but does contain parabens if your worried about that, I am not) its very natural and almost like a minimal coverage bb cream. I love it, recommend it. Especially for people like me who have issues with oil and acne.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 5:07:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have porcelain/fair skin around NC5 -10 and I tried 2 shades. First I tried the shade "Jacqui Oates". Its a creamy whitish yellow. Its lighter and actually more yellow-toned than the "Light Yellow" shade. I don't agree it is "neutral", I think it has a strong yellow undertone. The Jacqui Oates did make my blue eyes sparkle, and my skin glow. It was a bit too yellow for my taste, I could have wished for a slight more white, but the color was as close to perfect as it gets for fair skin. It evened out the redness and blended my face well with my neck, which is very very light. I liked it initially.

Then I tried the Light Yellow shade. It was more neutral/beige in undertone, and it darkened my skin and looked slightly grey, and, made my eyes look dull. So it is more for light NC15 - 20 skins rather than very fair or porcelain skin I believe. It itched and felt uncomfortable to wear.

Strangely, only the Light Yellow shade made my skin itch, while the Jacqui Oates didn't. But I just read that Jacqui Oates is formulated very different with more natural ingredients than the others specially to cater for pale sensitive skin, so now it makes sense that I had a reaction to Light Yellow but Jacqui Oates was fine.

For those interested in ingredients, I'll list below. Basically, only a small amount of ingredients are the same but Jacqui Oates has Oat Milk, Safflower Flower, Aloe Vera Extract, Organic Rose Hip Oil, Shea Butter, Lanolin, Honey, Mica and partly natural preservative combined with parabens. Its mostly natural. The other 4 shades feature Rose, Soy Bean Oil, Rice Bran,Talc, and Paraben-only preservatives intead and looks like standard drugstore ingredients.

The texture for both shades is a creamy tinted moisturer with sheer to light coverage and a satin sheen finish. It does have a dry-touch feel, and seems transfer-resistant, but it made my usually normal to slightly oily skin look dry and slightly old, so I don't know who it is meant for. Young perfect oily skin needing very little coverage and wanting extra (oily looking) glow? Also, people say you can build it up to a medium coverage, but the more you put on, the more dry and cakey it looks, so I don't believe it. Initially I thought it didn't streak, and it didn't, but that was only when I applied a tiny bit at a time with a Lancome paddle foundation brush. If I rushed it and dotted all over then tried to blend in I got streaks, or if I tried to use a sponge I got streaks. I think this foundation dries fast and is best applied a bit at a time otherswise it begins to dry and thats when it streaks.

I tried to "mix it with moisturiser" as the SA recommended when she asked if either shade worked for me and I told her the color was great but dry and streaky. That didn't work either. I really don't think this product works for me and trying any further is a waste of my time. The ingredients list isn't very natural any way

Here is 2 different ingredients lists, the first one is for Jacqui Oates, please note it is partway to being natural - it still contains two different Parabens (cheap chemical preservative), along with Tincture of Benzoin (more expensive natural preservative). The 2nd one is for all the other shades and looks like standard drug store foundation ingredients with Parabens and other chemical ingredients.

JACQUI OATES SHADE ONLY:
Water (Aqua) , Oat Milk (Avena sativa) , Safflower Flower (Carthamus Tinctorius) , Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis) , Titanium Dioxide , Organic Rose Hip Oil (Rosa canina) , Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii) , Stearic Acid , Glycerine , Cetearyl Alcohol , Triethanolamine , Honey (Mel) , Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin) , Lanolin , Iron Oxides , Mica , Methylparaben , Propylparaben

ALL OTHER SHADES - LIGHT YELLOW - DARK YELLOW - LIGHT PINK - DARK PINK:
Fresh Rose Infusion (Rosa centifolia) , Soya Oil (Glycine Soja) , Titanium Dioxide , Rice Bran (Oryza sativa) , Stearic Acid , Talc , Glycerine , Triethanolamine , Cetearyl Alcohol , Tudor Willow Color (Iron Oxides) , Tudor Oak Color (Iron Oxides & Talc), Tudor Mahogany Color (Iron Oxides & Talc) , Tudor Mahogany Color (Iron Oxides & Talc) , Methylparaben , Propylparaben

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2013 8:30:00 AM More reviews by fashionbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a huge lover of lush and I love playing with foundation and moisturizer, but this was a big no from me. So much so that I gave it away. Why? It smells like play-doh. I cannot put that on my face, even knowing that it doesn't have chemical nasties in it, because all I can think of is blue play-doh. I tried mixing it with moisturizer and on its own, nothing could get me past it. I also wasn't so impressed with the product to get past it. Sorry but no love for me on this one, despite my best efforts.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by sept27

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Lush Color Supplements were my first foray into organic makeup. I enjoyed using this product, however the color range is too small and Jackie Oats (the closest color to my skin tone) had neutral undertones, while mine are cool, so I looked a little ghostly in this product. To apply, I set the wide side of a wet beauty blender on the top of the jar to pick up product, then wiped the excess off on the lid. I dabbed this all over, which gave a nice, natural finish.

Good parts of this product:
Lasts a long time
Great as a tinted moisturizer (minus the moisturizer)
Natural!

My gripes with this product are:
Too sheer to cover my acne and medium rosacea
Product has a strange smell that fades after awhile, some might be bothered by it
A bit too expensive for the coverage

Overall, if I had nicer skin, I'd definitely purchase this again, however due to my rosacea, I would have to pick something else.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by MissAtomicB0mb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this 3 days ago & I'll admit to being quite disappointed at first but now that I've worked out the best way to apply it to my skin I'm very impressed.

I first used a Lush colour supplement around 6 years ago when I used Jackie Oates (I was about 17) but I gave up because I felt it was far too oily on my already oily face.

I decided to give it another go recently as although my skin is still very blemish prone (lucky me) it is no longer oily & I'm desperate to have all my beauty regime vegan & animal friendly.

This time I chose light yellow (pale but not as pale as Jackie O and yellow is good at minimising red undertones which my skin can be prone to) the sales assistant, Mimi told me that this was the colour she herself had on and her skin looked lovely so I had high hopes. She told me the best way to use it was to mix it with a moisturiser.

I tried this method yesterday (i mixed it with SteamCream) and I was sooooo disappointed. It slid around my face & it looked greasy & didn't seem to offer any coverage for my skin at all, like the moisturiser had diluted the colour I guess and I was pretty annoyed.

Maybe I didn't use enough of the supplement? Maybe SteamCream wasn't the best choice of moisturiser to mix it with? I don't know what went wrong but something did! And I don't want to have to go through a painstaking prep routine every morning to get the consistency right. I just wanna apply it and go. I'm no fuss with makeup & this was a lot of fuss :/

Today, however, unwilling to give up after just one application, I tried a different method.

I simply applied the product directly to my skin, no mixing, no skin prep, etc just a straight application onto clean, moisturised (but not freshly moisturised) skin.

By the way I don't wash my face of a morning as I don't want to strip the natural oils. I just give it a good cleanse & deep moisturise every night. I noted this as I believe it to be important to the result I got with my application.

This time it blended easily and while it was still a little shiny it was nowhere near as greasy as yesterday & again my Lush's emotional brilliance translucent powder) calmed the shine down significantly. My skin was left dewy but not greasy.

The coverage too, is a lot better today & it has toned down my imperfections quite well. My skin tone looks completely even! It doesn't look like I'm wearing heavy makeup either. It just looks like my skin is a lot better than it is.

It hasn't however, got a heavy enough coverage to completely hide the (3) spots on my jawline (I have a few minor acne scars on my jawline too, which it has covered really well they are practically invisible)

While it hasn't concealed the spots completely it has taken out the redness and they look a lot smaller & less obvious than before. I think if I was a little more heavy handed with the product they would have been covered completely.

In terms of staying power it has lasted pretty well. I have done a four hour shift in work full of multiple trips up and down the stairs and lifting heavy boxes and the coverage is still going strong although I was little shiny on my forehead & nose. I have had it on for 8 hours in total & while a little powder was required it has lasted a lot better than some of my more expensive past purchases.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this as a tinted moisturiser. It looks like it will take a lot of experimentation to get it right unless your lucky or used to mixing products anyway. However as a medium coverage foundation for people whose skin is normal/dry and whose main skin concern is uneven tone I would definitely recommend you at least try.

However if you have really oily skin or a lot of blemishes or oily products make you breakout then I believe that this would be too oily/not a heavy enough coverage for you.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Edit: down-grading this. over time I have noticed it becomes patchy and with powder on top this becomes very evident. does not mix well with all foundations, trisl and error. i still use it, To add coverage to some foundations or match the colour to my skin.

This is amazing!! This with my dior powder gives perfect non-fake soft, smooth looking skin. The perfect replacement for my $$$$$$ Omorovicza tinted moisturizer which admittedly clogs my pores and looks patchy on skin-in addition to having zero coverage unless u build it up.
This feels awesome on my dry/combo skin, and i got a perfect colour match- best i've ever had for any kind of base makeup. I am dark yellow in this and it is such an exact match. I really like this, doesn't look fake at all, love it to bits. Obviously it will never be able to compete with very extravagantly priced foundations with the best technology incorporated into them, nanoparticles and microscopic light reflective powders, etc-- but i prefer this to my other foundations right now, with a powder on top. I use vichy dermablend corrective foundation t conceal in some areas.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2013 8:18:00 AM More reviews by ceeayzee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Am I missing something here? I had SUCH high hopes for this product, which I bought in Jackie Oats. The colour is good for my pale skin, so props for that, but the consistency makes it useless for me. I've tried using it in so many different ways: mixed with moisturizer, after moisturizer, with different moisturizers, on my dry face, as a concealer and every time I have the same problem. It is terrible at blending. When applying it, it is incredibly streaky, but when blended in it is completely non-existent. When the streaks have gone, it is identical to my bare face (I have done several side by side comparisons). I know this is not a heavy coverage product, but I expect SOME difference. If anyone has any new application tips, I'd be happy to try them, but for now this was a waste of money for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No