November 23, 2014 | 1641 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 7:57:00 AM More reviews by jess2133

This is the first eyeshadow primer I've ever purchased and it is so so good. I have very oily eyelids that tend to make eyeshadow smudge within 4 hours. This basically prevents my lids from getting oily and cements the eyeshadow to my eyelids. I used this recently at my semi formal and there were zero smudges underneath my eyes at the end of the night. The only issue I have is the price, in Australia it retails $40, which is pretty ridiculous for a tiny tube of product but when I run out of this I will repurchase because it is just so good.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by guitargirlsings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my go-to eyeshadow primer. It dries quickly and keeps eyeshadow from creasing on my otherwise oily eyelids for at least nine to ten hours. On me, it is colorless. So, depending upon the look I am creating, I sometimes layer another cream shadow over the NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow base.

I know there are complaints about the packaging. I do agree that the packaging makes it difficult to get every drop of product out. When it became difficult to get the primer out of my last tube, I cut the tube open and emptied the remaining contents into a small jar.

I think I am on my third tube. Each package generally lasts me six months or more. In the past, I have used the Urban Decay shadow primer. While it worked okay and generally kept my eyeshadow from creasing, I felt it made some matte shadows more difficult to blend. Also, when I purchased the larger tube of the UD primer, the tube broke and I had to empty the contents into a jar. As a result, I prefer the NARS primer and its packaging.

One caveat: If you use LaRoche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light, do not put it on your eyelids before using the NARS shadow primer. The Anthelios mixes with the NARS primer and creates a sticky mixture. On the few occasions when I have gotten Anthelios on my lids and then used the NARS primer, the Anthelios rendered the NARS primer ineffective. Since I discovered this, I avoid putting the Anthelios on my lids. I also blot my lids with cotton to ensure there is no Anthelios residue.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this formula. I love this product. However, I hate this packaging. I used this non-stop even worked on the bridal makeup I did, the girls had that makeup without smudging or creasing it works phenomenal but it was a pain to get the last bits out of the tube. I wish they would make a squeeze tube, it would use less plastic and it would be easier to get all the product out. Since it's not in this packaging I opt for the Lorac Primer which is my first choice on the basis of the packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by hendenm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

An excellent primer which dries very quickly and does not crease. The only other eye primer I use is Mac paint pot in painterly but my favourite is the Nars smudge proof base. The UDPP just causes my shadows to crease and after a while goes all gloopy so I stopped using that a while ago. The price for Nars smudge proof is some say expensive but I've had mine for 4 months and it's still going strong. I also like the applicator as there is no wastage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 5:02:00 PM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is pretty expensive for what it is, but I think it's worth it. It's not much more than the Urban Decay Primer Potion, but I like this better. The UDPP annoys me sometimes, though I used it for years, because it starts to separate in the tube and then gets greasy and makes my eyeshadow crease. The consistency of the NARS primer is far superior. The packaging isn't tacky, which seems trivial, but I'm all about packaging.
This works very well and I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:28:00 PM More reviews by smanha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The best. THE. BEST. Eyeshadow primer out there. Outlasts all the rest. It's science.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 11:46:00 AM More reviews by elizabethm20

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!
Apologies for the overly enthusiastic intro, but I honestly adore this product.
Lets start by saying I have extremely oily eyelids. Eyeshadow just will not stay on my lids perfectly for any longer than an hour tops. I have tried countless paint pot type products, layered/blended the shadow etc etc and nothing seemed to work brilliantly. I will add that if you haven't got extremely oily eyelids, this tips and techniques and products such as Mac paint pots will work fine, but for me they didn't come close.
I have also tried other primers on the market such as the Urban Decay Primer Potion and drugstore alternatives such as the L'Oreal and Rimmel primers - all of which prolonged by eyeshadow but didn't do a fantastic job.
I was reluctant to by the Nars primer at first, simply because I thought it was expensive for a primer. However, after reading countless 5* reviews I gave in and headed to Selfridges.
I was not disappointed to say the least, nothing has ever come close to giving me crease free lids like this baby does. It is a white colour, but sheers out to almost nothing while still evening out your lids. I would say its semi matte and feels soft around the eye area. I mean, its nothing special no colour, no shimmer but does exactly what it says and will make your eyeshadow last all day!
If I want extra lasting power I will even use this underneath a paint pot, I use this technique for clients on their wedding days for example so their make up really lasts.
So far I have had my own personal tube since January, its now end of May and still going strong.
Packaging is annoying, just like all the Nars products and being white it gets dirty very quickly but its what's inside that counts!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Does not crease, glides on easily, lovely smooth texture, drys down quickly so no waiting around to apply eye shadow. Eye shadows adhere well and it lasts all day.

I know some people find the doe foot applicators unhygienic but this doesn't bother me, as its only me using it and always on clean skin. It goes on so easily with just the right amount of product - I find this easier to control than the tubes of UPPP and TFSI as always end up with more than I need. The price is comparable to UDPP and TFSI but I feel this may not last as long as the tubes from UD and TF as they seem to last me forever.

However as this is so nice and I love makeup so much I'm thinking it will be a repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 12:52:00 AM More reviews by channingto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my favorite eyeshadow primer!! I have oily lids that are beyond saving.. UD primer potion creases on me and other long wearing things such as the Mac paint pots, Maybelline color tattoos, etc. This primer is the best thing for my kids that I've found so far. I have extremely long days 16-18 hours and by the end, there is slight creasing on the inner corner. I have a double eyelid and also some small folds near my inner corner part of the eyelid.

One time, I forgot to put this on and I used maybelline color tattoo as a base and then out on eyeshadow. I hoped it would hold up like my shadow always does when I use this Nars primer but man did it crease, and fast!! That was when I really realized how much this does for me. Wish the packaging had more product and was easier to get out every last bit, but I haven't run out yet and I'm loving it. It gives a nice velvety finish and is transparent on my eyelids. Sometimes if I'm just wearing eyeliner, I'll put this under and it will help prevent fading/smudging that I always get.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 9:21:00 PM More reviews by glanda

this product is incredible~~ my eyelids are extremely oily and monolids, and if I wear eyeliner, they will be smudged in 30 minutes... and this product can keep them about 6 hours... amazing~~