April 18, 2014 | 1742 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Brass Banisher

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by UnderThePink2008

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have seen many negative reviews for this product but I have to say that I really liked this product. I naturally have very warm red tones in my hair and it can take on an orange hue. I normally have a darker auburn hair color but sometimes I like to lighten it up. I usually I choose a cooler or more neutral shade of blonde to lighten my hair and usually I use the same brand and color but this past time I tried something different which left my hair looking like a pumpkin. I had seen this product and I knew that the reviews weren’t that great but I still thought I would try it. I was impressed. This product turned my pumpkin like hair into a really attractive dark strawberry blonde. The color really suits my super fair skin. I did find that the product dried out my hair but nothing more than another other regular home hair color I have used. My hair still looks shiny and healthy but yes it is on the drier side. I would use this product again. I paid $15 for this at my local pharmacy but in my opinion the results were worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by cmccallum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been looking for a product like this for years! Thank you L'Oreal! I have light brown/dark blond hair but have been bleaching my hair for years.

I have tried everything to get the yellow/orange out of my hair but now I have sucess!

My only complaint is with long hair I would recommend 2 bottles but for $10 per bottle - what a deal for fantastics results!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by 00Penny00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought $10 for one application was expensive. I have medium blond hair with highlights and noticed over time my hair was a bit brassy, I tied this but really didn't notice any difference at all in my hair (except for drying it out a bit). A waste of money for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by mellecat

I was really hyped up to use this product and really felt that I was the perfect candidate - recently dyed my dark blonde hair a lighter shade and as I had lifted it about 4 shades lighter I ended up with an overall yellow / brassy colour. Panic! So two days later I bought a box of Brass Banisher, follow the instructions to the 'T' (left on for exactly 10 minutes) and now my hair is much more orange than before (before it was just brassy, not orange!!) and any nice blonde colour I had is gone. The tone is flat, the brass was not banished, and I'm quite unhappy.

Boo, Brass Banisher, boo.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by princesskoki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Works well on my hair that did not lift completely and was a definite orange color. I wish it was cheaper, as $10 for one application is a bit steep.

(Yes, I'm over paying hundreds of dollars to the stylist over the fast few months.)

I have tried toners, funky color mixed with conditioner, and other tricks, but this works the best - although like the rest, just delivers temporary results.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by spykitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

wow. i'm impressed for such a cheap product. i had used revlon frosting on my dark brown hair, which i had previously dyed over to get rid of these patches of white that i have (genetically.) obviously this white hair has no melanin at all, so it takes high strength dye to color them. anyhow, i just decided to "go with the flow" of this hair and frost it to cover it up, rather than continue dying it darker brown. i wound up with yellow and orange highlights and tons brassy brown hair. very ugly on my skin, which is pale and perhaps yellowish/greenish (pale olive i guess.)

anyhow, i used a bottle of this stuff for 10 minutes (the max recommended usage) and my highlights are now a beautiful beige-ish blonde color. it looks much more natural. the orange tones in the brown spots are also significantly toned down. no damage to my hair, either! it isn't a "miracle" and doesn't produce a major change, but to be so gentle it did a very good job.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by aletamaria

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was at my wits end. I dyed my dark brown hair blonde but it always ended up a orange tinted brassy color. I lived with it for awhile and then tried to go back to dark but I just don't like it as much as the blonde. So after trying purple shampoo, different colors, and a few other things I did some research on how to get rid of the brassy and found this product. All I can say is yeah! Finally the brass is gone. It's a lovely shade of ash blonde and I love it. I realize everything doesn't work on everyone but I say try it at least. It may just do the trick.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2011 10:26:00 PM More reviews by ilikeegg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This had no effect on the color of my hair. It was relatively damaging. The damage was comparable to most permanent hair color.

I wanted to achieve a very ashy blonde. My hair is naturally dark brown. At the time my hair was a medium slightly ashy blonde but I wanted more of the gold and yellow taken out. I thought that Brass Banisher was a toner so I tried it out.

After it had no effect on the color, I phoned customer service. The lady claimed that Brass Banisher would not remove gold tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2011 1:45:00 AM More reviews by rynlee83

This product totally saved my hair! I had used the Feria "Downtown Brown" to lighten my naturally coarse dark hair to that beautiful shimmery light ash brown on the box... I followed instructions and even added drops of the Ardell anti-red and gold corrector but still my hair came out brassy and dull with hot roots. It was terrible. I didn't even mind the warm tones, but it wasnt shiny or healthy, it was so dull and gross.
It looked ok in certain lighting so I tried to live with it, but eventually couldn't take it anymore.

I am totally broke so didn't have enough money to go to salon and fix... as a last resort I bought a box of the brass banisher, not really expecting much. It totally killed most of the red and orange, leaving a healthy, shiny (not dull!) light brown... and didn't seem to damage my hair at all! I love the shade now, it's exactly what I wanted, it looks natural and looks good in all lights!

I am never buying another box of Feria.. every few years I go back to it, and I am always disappointed. But this brass banisher stuff was a life saver!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2011 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Janina5309

For this review I used the swatches from this website as a reference to what my hair looked like and the changes that happened:

I originally had medium slightly reddish brown hair with a mix of light golden blonde and dark golden blonde highlights. I had dyed my hair with an ash blond dye but it turned this color:
2500H dark strawberry blond/butterscotch highlights (except with platinum blond highlights).

It was probably the natural red in my hair that turned it this orangey. So I freaked out and immediately went and bought some dark ash blonde die. My hair was now this color:

2400H auburn with dark strawberry blond highlights

I had tried Ardell's red out, but this just washed out the next time I shampooed. So despite the reviews, I went out and bought brass banisher. I am surprised that this actually worked. The change is subtle, but my hair is now:

12FH Golden brown with golden strawberry blond highlights (except ash blond highlights instead of strawberry)

My roots were a bit more orangey so I left it in my roots for 20 minutes and the rest of my hair for 15 minutes. I couldn't really tell if my hair had changed at 10 minutes so that's why I left it in for longer than recommended. My hair color did lighten by about a 1/2 level, I didn't see any change in yellow tones, but definitely there was less red.

This product basically worked like a regular hair dye would, it both lightens hair shaft and deposits color. It probably used around a volume 20 peroxide developer. There was not very much color in the color creme. Basically it will deposit color approximately equal to the amount it lightens. I can tell you that the developer/cream mixture color didn't change much in 20 minutes. It turned from white, to an off white. But the remaining color in the bottle turned a light dull beige after 45 minutes. So similar to how a medium ash blonde dye would develop, but a much more ash-y color.

So based on this, if you left the mixture in your hair longer than the recommended 5-10 minutes, like 30-45 minutes like many people that reviewed this product did, your hair might lighten if it was originally a dark blonde, and it would darken if your hair was a light or very light blonde. I think results would be best at the 10-25 minute range if you don't want your shade to change to much.

It says on the box that it is a SUBTLE change.

So if you want drastic results, go to a hair dresser.

As that ash blonde hair dye fades from my hair, and the red in my natural color shows through again, I will definitely be using this product again

Oh, and don't expect your hair to get all glossy like the product says it will, because it won't. And the product does homogenize highlights a bit too, especially subtle ones. But you won't experience all that much damage to your hair on the upside!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No