September 17, 2014 | 2231 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock spf 70

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 2:28:00 AM More reviews by beauanderos

I LOVE this sunblock!
I'm in my 20s and i always hear about how i should protect myself from the harmful, aging uv rays, so i decided it was time to invest in some that i could use everyday. If im on vacation, or in the sun alot at the beach, etc then i def use a water proof spray on type of sunblock, but THIS sunblock i would highly recommend for everyday use. In my case, I think the wording they used on the packaging was true: it works well under makeup, its liquidy ( a pea size amount works well for my face ) and it dried quickly which i liked so i could put my moisturized on immediately after. I recommend this product, and would use again!

Reading the other reviews did make me want to mention that this may not be suitable for pool, or beach use, but everyday, yes! no grease, shine, or mussing up my makeup :) thanks! i hope this helped!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by agonzalez077

I bought this product because I'm as assistant teacher and spend alot of time outside in the sun with the kids. I liked it because it was spf 70, which made me feel alot safer than the spf15. Yet, I have to say I do not like the fact that its liquid form. I feel that, because its so loose and watery, I dont get the coverage I need. In conclusion, I like the high spf, but not the liquid aspect and therefore I would not buy again. Good luck!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2012 7:34:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was generally pleased with this product until I used it while on vacation where I did a lot of swimming in the ocean. It didn't make me oily absorbed well and caused no break outs. Great for day to day and I thought it would be a great lower cost alternative to my HG Sheseido. Unfortunately not so much. After some swimming in salt water I reapplied this and it felt like my face was on fire. I tried rinsing my face with fresh water but this stuff really stays on unless you wash your face well with a cleanser. At the end of the day the more sensitive parts of my face like just below my sunglasses where perspiration begins to pool and around my nose were rough and blistered but not like anything resembling a sunburn. I will say it does it's job in that regard. If I could give this negative lippies I would. I've used many a crappy sunscreen but never had an experience like that before so beware if you plan on taking this stuff to the beach and have sensitive skin.
**UPDATE

Not sure if anyone will read such an old post however I figured I should add that 2 years after getting what amounts to chemical burns on the top of my cheek bones from what I'm assuming was an allergic reaction when the ingredients in this sunscreen combined with salt water/perspiration, I'm still trying to get rid of a huge brown spot left behind after the damaged area healed. Now anytime I try a makeup or sunscreen with similar ingredients it feels like someone has taken a blow torch to my face within seconds. Patch test and break a sweat it could save you some damage and trips to a Derm!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by azn123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My HG sunscreen. I used to use Japanese brand sunscreen because they were the only kinds that came in liquid form - America's generic thick sunscreens were too much for my oily skin, even the ones marketed for face use. Thank God Neutrogena finally caught onto the wave and released these lines of sunscreens.

This product goes on perfectly and blends invisibly. The only downpoint for me is the fragrance, which I would prefer to not have. I tried using the Pure & Free mineral sunscreen (which is fragrance free), but it was impossible to blend and left me with a white cast. I guess the good thing is that the scent of this Ultra Sheer Liquid version disappears rather quickly, so it's not that bad.

I get oily as hell by the end of the day, but oh well - I have impossible skin.

I should also note that the SPF70 version is exactly the same as the Ultra Sheer Daily Sun Protection SPF55 sunscreen, which is marketed as a makeup base. The levels of sunscreen ingredients are the exact same percentages.

My biggest complaint to this product is the price...I feel $12 for a 1.4oz sunscreen is a little steep. That aside though, this product is a great sunscreen - the only kind I'd recommend for facial use. And although I complained about the price, I also feel it's a great steal when you think of brands such as La Rosche Posay or Kiehl's which also sell liquid sunscreen, but in the outrageous $30+ price range.

Overall, my HG sunscreen. Although if I am in Taiwan, I will opt for Mentholatum since the liquid sunscreen consistency is thinner than that of this Neutrogena product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by joninagel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A warm, very humid summer is coming to a close so this sunscreen really got tested. I play a lot of golf, and after being out all summer with this on my face and neck, I can say I truly have NO color : ) This stuff works great for me, and it's the only sunscreen I can stand to have on my face when it's humid outside. This is not sticky or shiny at all, and I think it let's my skin breathe. Using it during "high sweat" activities does result in running (like all sunscreens) but I didn't have any issues with stinging my eyes, etc. I don't like the scent, but it doesn't break out or inflame my rosacea-prone skin, so I am thrilled. Thanks Neutrogena!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Jessiebanana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen is pretty fantastic. I was using the Healthy Defense Liquid Moisturizer in SPF50, but I switched to this for summer, mainly out of curiosity. It's matt-er than the Healthy Defense, which is nice for hot sweaty days, but has the same liquidy runny thin consistency you normally associate with Asian sunscreens, minus the alcohol. It's a bit thicker than the Healthy Defense, but it goes on less greasy and is still very light feeling.

For a sunscreen the fragrance is fairly light. It doesn't break me out and it doesn't leave a white cast on my NW43 skin. Once again Neutrogena brings in a great product for an excellent price.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2011 8:22:00 PM More reviews by webdoyenne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells pretty bad and doesn't soak in very quickly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Thicker than I thought it would be, but applies then disappears. I apply my Embryolisse moisturizer after it. Skin is satiny afterward. I have oily skin, for reference.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2011 3:07:00 PM More reviews by alisonchains

I have been using this product for close to two years. I'm probably on my 4th or 5th bottle and have used both the 55 spf and 70 spf. I never go out without it even though I work indoors. I do, however, often go outside on my lunch hour and of course the days are longer now. Sun protection is critical to me for two reasons: I've had melanoma (been clear for 20 years now) and the ridiculous and noticeable damage that more than a few minutes in the sun does to my skin. (FYI-I live in beautiful San Diego) While I certainly prefer the extra protection of the 70, it is oilier than the 55. If you decide to use this product I echo what others have said and strongly recommend the following. These are also the reasons I'm giving a rating of 4 and not 5.

--Wash your hands thoroughly after use. When I put on makeup after application (which is almost always), I wash my hands THREE times. Seriously. Once is NOT enough, and twice may not be, so the third time is my "insurance". If you don't do this, you may end up with a constant stream of tears for the next 3 days. It burns, it's irritating and totally jacks up your eye makeup, etc. This has happened to me more then once. It's awful.

--Blot after application. I apply, then go wash my hands, then gently blot, then apply my makeup. The product still seems just as effective (but hey--this isn't a clinical trial) but it helps minimize the inevitable oil slick, especially with the spf70. If you forget to blot before you apply your makeup, you can do so between applying liquid makeup and powder. Keep an eye out...you may have to do so later as well. (Don't have your blotters with you and skeptical of tissue? Use a toilet seat liner.)

For me, use of this product is not optional. Just about any other forumla (including N.) that comes in a tube and is thick, is SUPER greasy (I don't care what the tube says) if not sooner, then later. I used to use those because there were no other choices. My first leap to this type of product was Shisheido. I think the spf was 45. But after N. came out with the higher spf and, well the heckofa lot lower price, I've never looked back.

One other thing---I use either this product or one of the creamier ones (N.'s Spectrum spf100) on my decollette but beware!!!! If you are wearing white clothing (t-shirt, whatever) it WILL discolor the edges of your collar, so be super-diligent about spraying before laundering. I ruined at least 2 shirts before I wised up to this.

For what it's worth, I am 46 and am often told I look much younger. While the signs of aging are certainly showing, I really think consistent use of sun protection is holding the worst of it at bay--for now.

Oh yes--one more preachy thing--if you are a sun worshiper or use tanning beds, your skin, and possibly your health, is doomed.

(Note: I am posting this under both listings--for the spf55 and spf70--since I address both products)

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 2:15:00 PM More reviews by CleopatraBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dark, sensitive skin (MAC NC50) and this sunscreen not only went on clear, but didn't irritate me. I will be using everyday from now on.