E.L.F. Daily Brush Cleaner

Price: $

Price: $

Water, Alcohol Denat, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Methylparaben

on 2/18/2013 4:59:00 AM

I honestly somewhat liked this product and thought it actually worked, until today. My initial opinion of this product was that it smelled very, very bad but thought that it must work if it reeked that much of alcohol. So months went by and here I am on my fourth bottle of this stuff (this thing runs out quick and isn't exactly cheap for the amount you get).

Now, why don't I like this product anymore? I was able to try out a different daily brush cleaner today and after seeing just how much foundation and concealer this different brand was able to take off with just one spray... was amazing. Perhaps the ELF Daily Brush Cleaner is good for really, really, really LIGHT daily cleaning, but if you want something that cleans off heavy foundation/concealer/powder then this one is no good. I see now that this product cleans off absolutely NOTHING for me and not to mention - this product leaks like crazy!! Will not be repurchasing this ever again.

on 12/24/2012 8:54:00 AM

I really like this product. Heck for $3.00 I love it. I use it daily to clean my Clarisonic. A lot of people are put off by the smell but I don't mind it all. It isn't awful. I really appreciate it coming in a spray packing because two pumps doesn't waste half as much product as the brush cleaners I poor. It is a daily cleanser so once a week I do a full cleaning on my makeup brushes. I really love this product and recommend it as a quick clean solution.

on 12/7/2012 4:19:00 PM

For the price, this is a nice daily cleanser. I find it works best on brushes that have been used to apply powder product (eyeshadows, blush) to keep the colors from mixing and muddying each other. It's not a good cleanser for brushes used with creme products but since no daily cleanser will work on those, I think that's an unfair requirement. As it is, nothing to rave about but if you like to switch eyeshadows and don't have a lot of makeup brushes, it's a nice option.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff smells terrible and doesn't work as well as other brush cleaners.

Even though it's a great price for the packaging its an absolute waste of money! The product does nothing. I need over 6 pumps to wipe my brush clean and again it doesn't clean it well. my advice is forget it and try something else. this is almost like just water or maybe water is better than this. Don't waster your money on this crap!

on 6/7/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I love this stuff, so much so that I keep backups all the time. I use it daily. It's a great brush cleaner, and I like that it sanitizes the brushes as it cleans. The packaging looks nice too, if you're into that. I know a lot of people dislike the scent of this spray, but I personally like it. I don't find it too strong, but I'm not too sensitive to fragrances. It leaves a nice light scent on the brushes too, that you can smell when you use them again. It's definitely not overpowering for me. it's a fresh, sort of floral-y smell. The scent is actually one of the things I like most about it! You can't go wrong with the price, and it does its job perfectly. 2 sprays, wipe on a towel, and done. Clean brushes! I still shampoo and "deep clean" all my brushes ever couple of weeks, but this is great for daily in-between cleaning. It works well on most products for me, even cream shadows, but not for gel or cream eyeliners. Those brushes I clean with a shampoo. Anything else, this spray does the job.
Edit:It's now several months later and I've noticed they decreased the size of the bottle SIGNIFICANTLY. It is now 2oz where it was 8oz. It's still the same price. :( For this reason I won't be buying it any more. That's a ridiculous price jump and I don't think that's cool. :( Took off 2 lippies.

on 5/19/2012 6:25:00 AM

I bought this a couple of months ago at Target. The product being sold there was in a much smaller bottle (2 oz).

I only use the ELF Brush Cleaner to spot clean brushes used to apply *powder* products, immediately after use. For that it works very well. Brushes I've used to apply cream/liquid makeup are cleaned with a bit of baby shampoo and water after each use. I find that faster, easier, and much less expensive than using the ELF Brush Cleaner for those, because the brushes I use to apply cream/liquid products are *very* dense, and I'd have to use a lot of Brush Cleaner and do a lot of wiping to get the product out of the bristles.

In my experience, using the ELF Brush Cleaner on the brushes I've used to apply powder products, and using baby shampoo + water on the brushes used to apply cream/liquid products, removes about 90% of the product from the bristles.

Once a week I "deep clean" ALL of my brushes to ensure I've gotten out every bit of makeup residue (using Coastal Scent's Brush Purifier).

I also have not experienced any leaking of the product from the container, but the size of the product I bought is considerably smaller than what has been purchased by others online through ELF.

Insofar as any odor....most makeup products do have some chemicals in them, so I expect them to have a chemical odor and it doesn't bother me. I don't notice any odor from the ELF Brush Cleaner that's any better or worse than many other beauty products I use.

on 5/13/2012 4:57:00 PM

Great brush cleaner! Only down side is the smell. The cleanser itself has a very strong chemical smell and when I first opened the packaging it smelled like rotten fish (although the smell did go away after airing the bottle out.) Other than that, I think it's definatley worth the $3.

on 5/9/2012 11:03:00 AM

I was looking for something to simply disinfect my brushes between use. I have issues lately with acne and I didn't want to make things worse by using bacteria laden brushes, and I only shampoo my brushes once a month or so. I actually like the smell of this even though I generally don't like fragrance in my cosmetics. I think it leaves my brushes smelling nice. I realize I could make my own disinfectant spray with alcohol and water, but I'd really just rather buy this. I'll buy again for sure.

Also, I don't think this is designed to clean your brushes, so don't purchase is that is what you are looking for.

on 4/26/2012 10:00:00 AM

Love it. Does what it says and it smells so good. I love that it's in a spray bottle as well. I will definitely repurchase. It seems like it's going to last quite a while as well!

Popular Makeup Brushes