April 17, 2014 | 1032 users online

Pressed Powders - L.A. Colors - Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this is seriously the BEST POWDER EVER! its a little diamond in the rough since most people wouldnt buy dollar tree makeup but i love LA Colors makeup & this powder is in one of the best products from them! its so amazing & ive let a few people try it & theyve fallen in love too!
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- this is $1-2 depending on where you buy it. I purchase mine for $1 which is so unbelievable to me since ive paid 6x as much for a powder that was crap- I find my LA Colors products at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Dollar General & also on cherryculture.
SHADES/FORMULA- i use the lightest shade which is Nude for an all over powder. i also use the shade Tan for a contouring powder (which is perfect for me) They have about 5-6 shades. ive seen most of them @ my Dollar Trees. Nude is the lightest & then I think the darkest is Cappuccino or Cocoa?. Tan is perfect for light to med skin tones for a contouring powder- it beats my NYC Sunny bronzer any day since its a natural matte milk chocolately color that contours my face without looking orange or unnatural. when i found this shade i thought that looks like Mac Emote blush so i gave it a shot & since the Nude powder is super amazing i knew this would go on well & blend awesome- Its the best contouring powder/shade ive ever tried & trust me ive tried a million. I believe after swatching the Mac MSF Natural powder- this powder is a close dupe for mac msfs!!! yeah im saying it. Nude is a light creamy color that fits my cool pale skin. it does have a more neutral undertone but i find it doesnt change the color of my foundation. the formula is sooo super smooth & soft. any brush you use with this powder will apply it nicely since this powder is pressed well, finely milled so it goes on like butter- unbelievable!!! its great for a setting powder, blotting powder & also ive used it as an eyeshadow since it looks alot like Mac Brulee. since its hard for me to find matte shadows that blend out my crease, this does the trick every time! The formula is simply the best ive tried. it doesnt settle in to fine lines or wrinkles. it hasnt ever picked up or caked on any of my dry spots in cold weather- it never looks cakey or powdery- its looks great esp when buffed on with a kabuki!! it gives a natural finish to your skin, not matte or dewy, just natural. it fills in my pores & keeps any oils from producing. so it keeps my foundaiton put for hours & its awesome!
PACKAGING- now this is the part people dont like since they say it looks cheap. it has almost the same as the old school covergirl powder compacts. its a glossy black compact- the older packaging is a snap together glossy black with the LA COLORS logo on the front & on the back- the product name/shade etc- the newer updated packaging is glossy black compact with LA COLORS logo on the front with a half moon see thru plastic window so you can see what the product is. with the same back logo. i dont mind the packaging. its simple & yet it does keep your powder safe. its sturdy enough that it wont break into a million pieces if you drop it. there is a mirror included in both, the newer mirror is half moon shaped so its great to use if you travel with it. i actually had to do my makeup with the mirror in the compact so its handy. i traveled w/ this on a cruise & the compact/powder held up just fine through all the rough handling of my suitcase so its sturdy! i cant expect a $1 powder to look like Nars or something. its simple & it stores the powder. also you get a whole bunch of powder in this compact. the pan is completely filled with powder. theres no half packaging surprise like my one powder i got where it looks like you are gonna get a whole bunch of powder but half of it is just packaging so you get what you see- a whole ton of powder- with daily use ive had my one compact for over 5 months so its lasting me forever. i cant wait to hit pan!

overall this is simply the BEST POWDER EVER! if you are in need of a great setting powder or blotting powder (Ive heard this being compared to the MAC Blotting Powder so yeah- ive swatched the mac MSF natural & this is seriously so super close!) I love Nude as powder & Tan as my contouring powder! I will always repurchase these but you get so much powder & even w/ daily use of this, i still have yet to hit pan- it seems like it refils everyday ? i will scream if i ever hit pan. ive made a dent so if or when i ever get thru a whole pan- i will run to the store to pick up my next one since i use this powder soo much & i def cant go without it! go check it out & give it a shot, im pretty sure everyone will love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 5:53:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I bought this in two shades, Tan and a lighter one which I think might be medium. I got them at Dollar Tree so they were just $1.00 each. I love the Best Value section of MUA reviews because I have found so many little gems that way. I have not used this a ton yet since I only have them about a month and have been trying to use up some other makeup/powders, I already have.

When I have used this its as a setting powder after the rest of my makeup is on. I only use it in my t-zone, not under eyes. For that I only use Laura Mercier Secret Brightening powder. However, as a setting powder this is nice. I think I've gotten so used to silica powders, have tried everything from MUFE, to LM, Pure Luxe, even ELF, that I forgot the look of a translucent setting powder with fewer bells and whistles. The look is neat, not cakey and certainly not one that screams, "cheap!" by any means. I plan to carry these in my purse for touch ups as they provide a bit of coverage plus mattify a bit. I may update this after doing that when I see how they work in that manner. Nice product, not Holy Grail for me at this point, maybe one day after longer use but certainly a decent product especially for the price.

Wanted to add the older packaging has a solid lid to the compact while the newer packaging is split with a clear section to see the color. Its not only useful in purchasing your right shade, but it stays closed while my older packaging (the lighter shade I have) doesn't stay closed. For a dollar I do not care about packaging esthetics, only function but its nice to know the brand has fixed that glitch.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by feetjustgo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I do not understand the hype surrounding this product. Yes, it is really cheap--but it still feels like I got ripped off because it does NOTHING for my skin. Yes, I know powder isn't supposed to provide coverage--but my old CG powder did, and this powder actually messes up my foundation! Ugh.

I gave it a 2 because it didn't cause me to break out, but it didn't do anything good either.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by JudiCutie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

i LUV this powder i have it in the tan it works really well... if u have a shiny nose it disapears ....=) i also don't really like the packaging its cheap and i don't use the sponge thing inside i use just a normal make-up brush... over all it works really good =)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by KandyKisses

they occasionally carry this at my local Dollar Tree and whenever it's in stock, i buy a couple. a buck for a nice powder that doesn't break me out? i usually keep extras in certain places in case i don't have any make-up with me. i love bringing these compacts to school - they're great for a quick touch-up. it's actually a quality powder, which is why i like it so much! my only complaint is that the packaging sucks. the snap is very flimsy and difficult to close and can break easily. it's a cheap plastic, but the make-up inside makes up for it. overall, i'll always buy these as long as they're being made. so worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by SpicyCurry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing pressed powder, and for only a dollar?! I keep wondering how this little gem isn't the most popular powder on the market. Super smooth, silky texture, and surprisingly very natural looking for a powder that offers such good coverage. I am using this in Nude or Beige, depending on how tan I am. I have very oily skin, and this powder holds up well and doesn't get all cakey with reapplication. I even like the cute packaging! I like it so much I went a bough a few backups!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2011 12:41:00 PM More reviews by 12ain

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the powders texture! I love the 'cheap' packaging too! Will re-purchase without doubt its only a dollar!! LOVE it!
~ UPDATE; NOT FOR OILY OR ACNE PRONE SKIN!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2011 12:30:00 AM More reviews by cc001

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this. I'm amazed how good this is. I was also skeptical about this but I really do think that this is a great powder. It doesn't cake (if you use the right amount) and there is some coverage, more than some others that are more expensive. It doesn't oxidize on me like some powders do. And this is only a dollar! Can't beat that. The only thing I don't like is the packaging. It's so flimsy I'm afraid I might break it lol. Will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by amspartangrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've gone through 3 of these and I love them! They are really good powders that are only a dollar! I don't see the need in buying anything super expensive :) I recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Suzy9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

wow. all i can say is wow.
i read the reviews, so i had to run to the dollar store and prove everyone wrong.. and wow. i couldnt have been more wrong! this powder works better then any i have tried.. in every price range. i bought it in beige.. as they only had 3 colors to choose from. it goes on so silky smooth, even my boyfriend noticed a difference in the way my face looked. it covered old blemish scars instantly. i was weary of the color, but it actually works for my fair-medium skin tone.
the only flaw in this product is the useless sponge it comes with. it looks and feels like something you would use when packaging an appliance. but it worked for my first try. i plan on using it with a brush or an old sponge from a covergirl powder.
this may be the best dollar i ever spent!