September 22, 2014 | 853 users online

Pressed Powders - L.A. Colors - Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 7:20:00 PM More reviews by turtlesaurus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was very hesitant to give this product a shot due to a previous nitemarish experience with dollar store make up .... but thank goodness i caved and tried it. This powder is absolutly amazing .. not only for the price which is already unbelievable, but for the job it does as well. I bought this in Nude and applied it as a setting powder over my maybelline superstay foundation. At first i was quite surprised at how pale it initially looked on my face considering it looked a bit darker in the package... almost too pale for my liking. About 2 hours later i noticed the makeup mustve settled because the color fit my skintone perfectly. I did have to touch up a couple times throughout the day but this is normal for me no matter what top of the line oil-control products i use ... so its no biggie for me. I definatly recommend anybody to try this if you can find your color. Gives a nice, smooth, flawless finish, and doesnt cake up toward the end of the day .. definatly worth the buck!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by larosedechanel

This powder is all right—it's not the WORST one I've tried, but it's certainly not one I'd reach for every day. It's just good enough; it does its job. I can't complain for $1 though. It's obviously not my everyday powder. I use it when I NEED to. L.A. Colors Pressed Powder is a basic, cheap, you just need to control your oil for that day powder. It did oxidize darker than when I first put it on so I recommend buying one shade lighter than your skin tone. Because it is a dollar, I would buy it again just to have it.

Note: the brand has a Mineral Pressed Powder that is absolutely amazing if you don't like this one &/or want something better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by glowing500

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was going to give this a 1 because of the shade. I bought this in "Fair" at the Dollar Store. I remembered that this stuff had pretty good ratings on Makeup Alley, so I tossed it in the cart. . I thought it looked kind of dark but since it said "Fair" on it I bought it. I used it to blot my face today at work. When I looked in the mirror a couple of hours later I had dark blotches all over my face. Eeek! I used a wet paper towel to scrub it all off. I was going to toss it in the trash but I think this will make a pretty good contour powder. No way in hellz is this shade "Fair". Maybe it was at the Dollar Store because of a mix up when they manufactured it or something.

The packaging is WAY cheapo. My lid broke the first time I used it, but I was able to snap it back on. Like I said, I'm going to try this as a contour powder. Other than the shade being way too dark, this powder is pretty finely milled.
___________________________________________________________
Update:
I had to toss this. The color did not work as a contour shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2011 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Niesha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had a lot of experinces with press powder...and i feel as if this does alot for me...I have oily skin so my makeup usally disappear though out the day. But with this pressed powder it actually lasted..AND DIDNT I MENTION ITS CHEAP.. it also comes with a warm undertone, and with me being brown skined i usally have problems looking for something that complemants my skin. i purchased it from family dollar and i really enjoy it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by GtownMermaid

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Found myself without a mineral finishing powder & as this is dirt cheap at Dollar General, figured it was worth the gamble.

This powder stopped the shine in my t-zone, the finish is OK and it didn't cause breakouts. Packaging was OK too as the compact closes up tightly & didn't pop open in my handbag as some cheap compacts do.

However, the Nude has too much yellow for my neutral/cool-toned fair skin so this just didn't work out for me. Will not repurchase in Nude but would be willing to try another lighter shade if I run across it (& it doesn't look too pink or yellow in the pan).

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2011 9:58:00 AM More reviews by jekm2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So I bought this in Nude because it was $1.00 at my local dollar store and I thought why not the reviews are great?.....When I opened it I actually laughed out loud (alone, in my car) because of the ridiculous sponge (if you can call it that) but neverless, I decided to try it then and there with the glorified papertowel and was AMAZED at the finish it rendered. I will go even further to say that hours later I was completely shine free, color unchanged and perfect....and it was rainy and drizzly and it is TTOTM, which all negatively effect my complexion. Its too soon to say what my complete verdict is as I like to feel decadent when I put my makeup on and this doesn't do anything to help that but my complexion was perfect, really perfect. It is at the very least a great thing to have in your purse, I mean for a dollar?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this is seriously the BEST POWDER EVER! its a little diamond in the rough since most people wouldnt buy dollar tree makeup but i love LA Colors makeup & this powder is in one of the best products from them! its so amazing & ive let a few people try it & theyve fallen in love too!
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- this is $1-2 depending on where you buy it. I purchase mine for $1 which is so unbelievable to me since ive paid 6x as much for a powder that was crap- I find my LA Colors products at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Dollar General & also on cherryculture.
SHADES/FORMULA- i use the lightest shade which is Nude for an all over powder. i also use the shade Tan for a contouring powder (which is perfect for me) They have about 5-6 shades. ive seen most of them @ my Dollar Trees. Nude is the lightest & then I think the darkest is Cappuccino or Cocoa?. Tan is perfect for light to med skin tones for a contouring powder- it beats my NYC Sunny bronzer any day since its a natural matte milk chocolately color that contours my face without looking orange or unnatural. when i found this shade i thought that looks like Mac Emote blush so i gave it a shot & since the Nude powder is super amazing i knew this would go on well & blend awesome- Its the best contouring powder/shade ive ever tried & trust me ive tried a million. I believe after swatching the Mac MSF Natural powder- this powder is a close dupe for mac msfs!!! yeah im saying it. Nude is a light creamy color that fits my cool pale skin. it does have a more neutral undertone but i find it doesnt change the color of my foundation. the formula is sooo super smooth & soft. any brush you use with this powder will apply it nicely since this powder is pressed well, finely milled so it goes on like butter- unbelievable!!! its great for a setting powder, blotting powder & also ive used it as an eyeshadow since it looks alot like Mac Brulee. since its hard for me to find matte shadows that blend out my crease, this does the trick every time! The formula is simply the best ive tried. it doesnt settle in to fine lines or wrinkles. it hasnt ever picked up or caked on any of my dry spots in cold weather- it never looks cakey or powdery- its looks great esp when buffed on with a kabuki!! it gives a natural finish to your skin, not matte or dewy, just natural. it fills in my pores & keeps any oils from producing. so it keeps my foundaiton put for hours & its awesome!
PACKAGING- now this is the part people dont like since they say it looks cheap. it has almost the same as the old school covergirl powder compacts. its a glossy black compact- the older packaging is a snap together glossy black with the LA COLORS logo on the front & on the back- the product name/shade etc- the newer updated packaging is glossy black compact with LA COLORS logo on the front with a half moon see thru plastic window so you can see what the product is. with the same back logo. i dont mind the packaging. its simple & yet it does keep your powder safe. its sturdy enough that it wont break into a million pieces if you drop it. there is a mirror included in both, the newer mirror is half moon shaped so its great to use if you travel with it. i actually had to do my makeup with the mirror in the compact so its handy. i traveled w/ this on a cruise & the compact/powder held up just fine through all the rough handling of my suitcase so its sturdy! i cant expect a $1 powder to look like Nars or something. its simple & it stores the powder. also you get a whole bunch of powder in this compact. the pan is completely filled with powder. theres no half packaging surprise like my one powder i got where it looks like you are gonna get a whole bunch of powder but half of it is just packaging so you get what you see- a whole ton of powder- with daily use ive had my one compact for over 5 months so its lasting me forever. i cant wait to hit pan!

overall this is simply the BEST POWDER EVER! if you are in need of a great setting powder or blotting powder (Ive heard this being compared to the MAC Blotting Powder so yeah- ive swatched the mac MSF natural & this is seriously so super close!) I love Nude as powder & Tan as my contouring powder! I will always repurchase these but you get so much powder & even w/ daily use of this, i still have yet to hit pan- it seems like it refils everyday ? i will scream if i ever hit pan. ive made a dent so if or when i ever get thru a whole pan- i will run to the store to pick up my next one since i use this powder soo much & i def cant go without it! go check it out & give it a shot, im pretty sure everyone will love it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 5:53:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I bought this in two shades, Tan and a lighter one which I think might be medium. I got them at Dollar Tree so they were just $1.00 each. I love the Best Value section of MUA reviews because I have found so many little gems that way. I have not used this a ton yet since I only have them about a month and have been trying to use up some other makeup/powders, I already have.

When I have used this its as a setting powder after the rest of my makeup is on. I only use it in my t-zone, not under eyes. For that I only use Laura Mercier Secret Brightening powder. However, as a setting powder this is nice. I think I've gotten so used to silica powders, have tried everything from MUFE, to LM, Pure Luxe, even ELF, that I forgot the look of a translucent setting powder with fewer bells and whistles. The look is neat, not cakey and certainly not one that screams, "cheap!" by any means. I plan to carry these in my purse for touch ups as they provide a bit of coverage plus mattify a bit. I may update this after doing that when I see how they work in that manner. Nice product, not Holy Grail for me at this point, maybe one day after longer use but certainly a decent product especially for the price.

Wanted to add the older packaging has a solid lid to the compact while the newer packaging is split with a clear section to see the color. Its not only useful in purchasing your right shade, but it stays closed while my older packaging (the lighter shade I have) doesn't stay closed. For a dollar I do not care about packaging esthetics, only function but its nice to know the brand has fixed that glitch.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by feetjustgo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I do not understand the hype surrounding this product. Yes, it is really cheap--but it still feels like I got ripped off because it does NOTHING for my skin. Yes, I know powder isn't supposed to provide coverage--but my old CG powder did, and this powder actually messes up my foundation! Ugh.

I gave it a 2 because it didn't cause me to break out, but it didn't do anything good either.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by JudiCutie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

i LUV this powder i have it in the tan it works really well... if u have a shiny nose it disapears ....=) i also don't really like the packaging its cheap and i don't use the sponge thing inside i use just a normal make-up brush... over all it works really good =)