September 19, 2014 | 1973 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion For Face & Body, spf 60 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2012 7:05:00 PM More reviews by ricalaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just started to use this product since my moisturizer did not have any SPF protection, and this is certainly my HG product for my face. Not only does it protect against harmful rays for my body AND my face, it also prevents my face from getting oily throughout the day. I have very oily skin and something in this sunscreen just soaks up all the oil and I never get shiny since using this product! The consistency is not thick or greasy at all. It's a bit runny but it blends into the skin well and doesn't leave a white overcast like how other sunblocks do when applied. The only downside to the product is that sunscreen starts to leak out and settle where the dispenser is and it gets a bit messy. Other than that, if you have super oily skin and need a good sunscreen, I definitely recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 2:06:00 AM More reviews by catherinesophia

I have been wearing sunblock for abut 15 years, and this is my favorite, by far. I apply this over a vitamin C serum, and then a heavy moisturizing cream, as it is rather watery. It doesn't make me look pale, and it doesn't irritate my skin like other sunblocks have in the past. I have recommended this product to family and friends and they now all use it everyday. It has also done a great job protecting my skin. It lasts about 5 months, so the price doesn't bother me so much. I apply a teaspoon of sunblock to my face and neck every morning. I tried their SPF 52 lotion and I really didn't like it. That stuff made me look like a ghost, but the liquid is brilliant and I never leave the house without applying it first.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2011 1:47:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

Matte, quick drying, excellent SPF, with only a hint of paling to the skin (totally reasonable considering the high level of protection), but too drying on my combo complexion. I layered this on top of antioxidant serum and beneath my moisturizer, since broad spectrum protection needs to sink into the skin, and found this sunscreen formula left my skin a touch dehydrated. It would be a wonderful product for anyone with oily skin, I imagine, since it did provide oil control for me. No shiny T-Zone all day! But overall, would not purchase since my skin was left slightly uncomfotable and parched feeling and will continue using my La Roche Posay ultra light fluid.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 7:01:00 AM More reviews by jaws

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I live in Hawaii and rarely wear sunscreen on a daily basis due to the oiliness of my face and the discomfort I feel wearing sunscreen. This product is different. My skin feels smooth and not oily. It also seems to protect my skin and does not cause too many blackheads, so long as I remove it with cleansing cream. This is the best sunscreen I have ever used! Because of this product I wear sunscreen everyday. I also hate heavy smells but this product is a clean flowery scent which doesn't last long. The dispenser could be improved but if you place your finger below it, it seems to control the spillage. It is expensive but definitely worth it!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by ravasquez11

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Very thin in consistency and does not leave a white cast. Ideal for applying under makeup and over makeup every few hours. I took this with me to Hawaii and wore it when swimming in the ocean for 2 hours, I got darker and I didn't want to tan. I don't think it's the most water resistant stuff out there but it's still pretty good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett0722

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried a sample packet of this from Sephora, I initially liked it and liked the sample of Shiseido cleansing oil that came with it as well. The ss doesn't have a matte finish, it's kind of a natural/shiny finish I suppose. I do have oily skin, so I'm sure that adds to the shine. As for sun protection, it did very well. But I didn't find it esthetically pretty with my makeup. It gave me way too much sheen/shine. I might've used this product again just b/c I love high SPF sunscreens, but I tried the cream version of this & it broke me out horribly! I had 8-10 pimples on my cheeks, nose, chin from the cream version, thus I'm scared of ever trying the lotion again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2011 2:05:00 AM More reviews by scoplen

Perfection. I live in So California and I am ghostly pale. me and my 3 year old daughter wear this every day. It is the only mineral sunscreen that leaves absolutely no trace of white. I have oily breakout prone skin and have never had a problem with this, or with the 55 or the 36 for that matter. I do have to wash my face by lathering twice to get it off, no big deal. Far preferable to getting burned. I do use a mattifier over my T section on top of this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2011 9:46:00 AM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I loved the texture of this on my face and the way it seemed to combat all the issues of high-SPF sunscreen - oiliness, thickness, etc. However, I started having a huge breakout the same night and the next day, my face was an absolute explosion of blemishes! I've never seen anything like it. It was about 10-15 bright red scaly blemishes all over my cheeks! Very strange, because the ingredients don't look that bad, but it does have alcohol in it and sometimes alcohol makes my skin react in strange ways. Sigh. Back to Neova Ti-Silc for me...

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2011 12:59:00 AM More reviews by mabsie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'd been a longtime devotee of the discontinued SPF 55 version of this product and I had high hopes for this SS as well. Unfortunately, I don't see myself repurchasing it.

I loved the SPF 55 for its drydown, I know some people found it too dry and too powdery; but for my ultra oily grease-slick skin, the dry finish was a godsend. But even with the old finish, I still had to blot regularly. With this version? It's even worse.

The finish never "finishes" on me. It never dries down and it feels like my SS might as well be dripping off of my face within an hour (sometimes less if it's hot). A thick application of matte blot powder is an absolute necessity here (which wasn't always true with the SPF 55). What little makeup I wear feels slippy all day long and while no SS ever feels completely comfortable, this one is just very unpleasant - it's like a thick oily film is just sitting on my face all day long.

It has all the negatives that the SPF 55 had as well: the white cast, the overwhelmingly powdery fragrance, and the lack of adequate UVA protection (I still freckle even with heavy application and attempts to mostly avoid the sun - something I managed to avoid with Avene SS's). I had stuck with the SPF 55 for the texture (a benefit I found to outweigh the negatives listed above) but now I might as well go to one of the Euro high PPD SS's; I find the grease-level of this SS to be approximately the same as high PPD ones now. One plus to this though is that it isn't sticky the same way high PPD SS's are - it's still slick and slippery upon application like the SPF 55 (it just never STOPS being slick and slippery....)

I could see this working for you if you prefer a more moisturizing/smooth application sunscreen, and don't need as much protection as I tend to (fair-skinned desert dwellers like me might want to avoid). Personally though, I definitely won't be repurchasing this one again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

UPDATE (06/13/11) It may seem early to update but with SD-prone skin, if I'm going to have problems, it usually happens in less than a week. The last few nights, I've noticed at night after cleansing, that telltale sign of skin unhappiness....a under-the-surface rash. I'm leaving the overall rating at 5, since I think for most of the population with "normal" skin would like this s/s. The finish is just lovely. ORIGINAL REVIEW: I actually started this category for reviews back in Feb 2010 when it was first announced that the spf 55 was being replaced by this one. BUT I never actually tried the spf 60 until now. I was mistakenly convinced that nothing would compare to my beloved spf 55, so I moved onto Sofina Lucent...which I learned to adore as well. However, now that the Sofina's discontinued, I've been on a sad journey to search again for another Japanese s/s that my finicky, SD-prone face would like. After a couple of missteps with other Japanese sunscreens, I finally felt resigned to try the Shiseido spf 60. Ironically, it's been almost love at first use. Like Trisha (everyday) says below, it's lighter than the spf 55.....more elegant, more fluid and even less tacky on drydown. And I would also agree that it seems much less fragranced than the old spf 55. Until I read Trisha's review below, I thought it was just in my head...that my memory wasn't correct. Also, it wears beautifully under foundation and seems as tenacious as one would expect from a Shiseido sunscreen. Of course, it's early days yet.....but I'm so happy that I finally decided to give it a chance.