NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

on 11/2/2012 9:38:00 PM

I am an asian girl with fair complexion (Dior-Forever030). I fell in love with this semi-matte red with orange undertone from NARS. The color is bright and it has more red than MAC's lady danger which was exactly what I was looking for. The staying power is wonderful, it lasts long, doesn't smear and the color is consistent. If you would like to have more moisture with this lipstick you can always add a layer of lipbalm before using it, wait for a little bit then put this lipstick on, you just have to put on a bit more than if you put it on directly, because the balm has a tendency to soften the color a little.

I really love this red-orange lipstick, sexy and complements my fair skin with excellent staying power. will definitely repurchase.

on 10/3/2012 3:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really like the color...I was torn between this and MAC's lady danger...and this seemed to have more of a "buildable" color. its a very orange based red, and looks good on my warm skintone.

Its super expensive, and luckily I had received a Sephora giftcard and it allowed me to splurge.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This has such great reviews and I do love a good red, so I couldn't resist picking this up. Unfortunately, although people say it looks good on everyone and I am really open-minded about dramatic colours, this does not look good on me. It doesn't look orangey at all and, like another highly rated Nars lipstick Catharge, it just sits like a coat on my lips. I don't think I will be buying Nars lip colours again.

Update: I have upgraded this to 3 lippies as I find that this works for my skin if I apply with a lighter hand but I was really hoping for a deep orangey red colour which it doesn't seem to be. Also, be warned - it looks really different in different lights.

on 7/30/2012 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

I was looking for a red/orange lipstick that would give me coverage and work with my skin tone. This is perfect! Great for WOC. It's a semi-matte formula which means you get all the color and look of a matte lipstick without having it cake and dry up like other matte lipsticks. It's the best lipstick I've ever had.

on 7/22/2012 5:33:00 PM

I love NARS lipsticks...but this is so not my color. Looks extremely garish on me. Some brights (such as Jungle Red) look beautiful, but this looks TERRIBLE on me. I am pale with neutral undertones, blue eyes, and light brown hair

on 7/12/2012 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I never thought that another red could make me cheat on MAC's Ruby Woo.

Well, I was wrong. I love this lipstick. LOVE. THIS. LIPSTICK. I literally cannot find a fault in it (for me, Ruby Woo has one--I don't like that it's so dry). Heat Wave goes on creamy and soft, but by some miracle this does not mean that it disappears instantly once one hour passes. You can swipe it on your lips without a worry about them looking dry or cracked for a casual, everyday look, or it can also be built up and worn with lip liner for a cleaner, fancier look. The color is bright and vivid--I am South Asian, but I haven't seen it look bad on any of my friends. It won't dry out your lips and stays bright for hours. I am not usually someone who is comfortable with wearing lipstick every day, since it usually takes a bit of maintenance, but this is so easy to just put on and not worry about. You don't need the layers of balm, pencil, and lipstick to make it look good, and I've found myself wearing it almost every day.

This is my new go-to lip color (I really am sorry, Ruby. I'm still keeping you around, just in case). I HIGHLY recommend it. It is a bit pricey, but it really just blows every other lipstick in my arsenal out of the water. As with all NARS products, it's packaging is that beautiful, classic black and white. It's sturdy enough to toss in my bag without the packaging getting messy-looking or, worse, the case opening and the bullet of lipstick getting ruined. If you are looking for a flattering, wearable red, I highly recommend going over to Sephora and giving the tester a shot, because this little guy is so worth it.

on 6/6/2012 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE this color! After dying my hair, I found out that my pinkish red lipstick didn't work for me. I tried on Heat Wave at Sephora and fell in love. I love that it's actually a very buildable color - a light layer looks gorgeous, just as much as a heavy layer. When it does fade (and that takes awhile), it does so very nicely. It's a little dry, but applying lip balm beforehand helps a lot.

on 1/28/2012 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I have to say that if you've never tried a NARS Semi-Matte, you really don't know what you're missing. Even if you're not a lipstick purveyor like myself or you're not really a fan of matte lipsticks of any kind in general, these might really surprise you. Heat Wave has to be one of my favorite lipsticks genuinely in part because of it's amazing texture. Actually, it has to be my absolute favorite where texture is concerned.
The pigmentation isn't so dense as in say, MAC's Lady Danger, which comes out as being an almost toxic, neon red-orange whether you attempt to dab it on or give it a full swipe. This lipstick is quite adaptable in a way that other red-oranges don't seem to be because the texture is so buildable and the color it's self isn't ridiculously trendy looking or over the top. Heat Wave is certainly a color that can be worn as a very light and beautiful blush of color on the lips for occasions when a much more natural look is desired.
I might be the minority here, but I don't think Heat Wave is *that* unique where the actual shade is concerned. While I own quite a few red-orange, corals, and vermilion type shades in my (ashamedly) massive red lipstick collection, I have yet to find an exact duplicate but do have many shades that are quite similar and in lower price ranges. I most certainly couldn't deny that Heat Wave is a gorgeous color though. When I saw it in Sephora I knew that I had to try it on and once I did, I was 100% sold. On me it appears to be more red than orange (say a 6:4, red/orange ratio) but is still sophisticated and classic. It's definitely the most serious and grown-up of the similar hues that I own and much more versatile as a result.
However, like I said before, Heat Wave has all of them beat as far as texture and lasting power is concerned! In the winter, when the moisture balance of my lips is seldom where it should be, Heat Wave is the only matte lipstick I can wear for hours on end without excessive flaking or utter discomfort. It takes so little of this lipstick on my lip brush to cover my entire mouth completely and once it's there, it truly stays put unless I wipe it off deliberately. When I do wipe it off, I find myself relieved time and time again because it never smears or stains my skin.
If there could ever be a perfect lipstick formula, I'd believe that NARS has it down pat with their Semi-Mattes! Heat Wave is one of those colors that puts a little pep in your step without being gaudy or obnoxious. Sure, the price is kind of steep but I feel like the texture alone genuinely justifies it. The hue is absolutely divine and the texture makes it a real dream to wear.

on 1/5/2012 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

On me this pulls orange more than red. I love it definatly not one for all the wall flowers out there.

Heatwave demands attention.

on 1/3/2012 6:04:00 AM

I absolutely love this colour, it is more orange than red but definitely suits any skin colour. I have been looking for a nice red for months, and I have bought a couple that even though are nice they were not giving me the wow factor. This shade is amazing, the makeup artist at NARS was wearing it and I asked her to try it on me even though our skin colours were totally opposite. The colour absolutely suited me and I wear it every time I go out as it definitely stands out as a statement. The problem is the price as here in Australia this brand is ridiculously expensive but I would definitely buy it again since this is something you must have.

Popular Lipsticks