September 19, 2014 | 1856 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by MES

I have sensitive eczema prone skin, but also get the occasional breakout. Most commercial acne treatments are too harsh and irritate my skin. Recently I got hit with acne and eczema at the same time and thought there was no way to treat both. I made a mask with turmeric, honey, and olive oil which I applied to a clean face. I allowed the mask to sit on my skin for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. I didn't notice any immediate benefits, but when I woke up the next day I was very impressed. My skin was so radiant, the dry flake-y patches were completely gone. There was a definite reduction in the size and redness of my acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by ziastarlight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

So it looks like all my usual chemical-filled acne products are gonna be shoved to the back of the cupboard.

I've had skin problems for about 5 years. It's not crazy cystic acne or anything, but just bumpy, uneven skin, lifeless, dull; usually with the here-and-there zit. It's just been in this skin purgatory for a couple years. I've tried over-the-counter and department store skin regimes, but nothing really worked.

Recently I've been trying to make more natural and eco-conscious choices, and heard about turmeric as a face mask. Now, I'm a skeptic, and most of the girls I saw raving about it already had (compared to mine) pretty good skin. I didn't think it would do much, and tried it out for the heck of it. I had a jar of turmeric in my kitchen cupboard, and mixed it up and slapped it on my face. I didn't see an immediate change when I washed it off, and thought it was a waste of time. But I woke up the next morning and I swear, my skin seemed a little brighter. I thought it might be my imagination, and tried another mask. A week later, I've been putting on masks 1-2 times a day and OH MY GOODNESS. I honestly can't believe my skin. You know all those annoying little tiny bumps that aren't red or inflamed but sit there and make your makeup look disgusting? Yes, they are almost ALL. GONE. Turmeric does kind of 'pull' impurities/cystic zits to the surface, but that's actually a good thing, and my skin is getting ~so~ smooth. As in, it hasn't been this smooth since I was in middle school. It's the best thing ever, seriously, ever, I have tried, and probably the cheapest.

My recipe:
1 teaspoon rice flour (chickpea apparently works too)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1~2 teaspoon milk
squirt of glycerin, or if my skin is dry, apricot-kernel oil. (a-k oil is what I have on hand, EVOO is okay too)
{I leave the mask on for about 10-15 minutes}

Okay, one small warning. I have a bit of a yellow/olive cast to my skin already, but it does kind of put a yellow tint for a few hours. I imagine if your skin is fair and pink toned, it will somewhat stain yellow. Now, you can try to alleviate that by mixing in more rice/chickpea flour, I've heard honey helps too. Personally, I think it's still totally worth it, as the yellow tinted skin is only temporary and the benefits completely amazing. My skin is literally glowing.

In a nutshell, turmeric is cheap. Even if you don't think it'll work, try it. You may be surprised at the results.
~*~UPDATE~*~
After rinsing off the mask and when my face is still wet, I swipe my face with a damp washcloth, and that takes off all the yellow residue. No need to scrub away, it'll come off pretty well with just a gentle circular motion. No more yellow face! :) (oh use a cloth you don't mind stained)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by shushkin2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Since I am already enjoying multani mitti clay masks 3 times a week I decided to add some turmeric to the concoction. Warning - dont answer the door to the postman wearing this mask!! He nearly ran for it! According to Ayurvedic medicine its a wonder herb and it seems that the western world is now starting to be aware of its many marvellous properties. First please patch test the turmeric mask mix out on the inside of your wrist because there are folk out there who are allergic to this very potent herb. My glowing skin seems to be responding really well to my colourful mask so I will stick with it. I used to get the occasional spot at that certain time of the month but that doesnt happen any more. Yay!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/19/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Daya1257

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have terrible acne and have been trying to get rid of it using natural methods, as all the chemical based products have done nothing but caused even worse breakouts. Reading about tumeric, I had decided to try a mask on my face. Applying it twice over two days, my face began on yet another one of its breakout sprees, and so I stopped. But what I didn't know, is that you can't use the tumeric used for cooking purposes, on your face. It contains added impurities and whatnot.
What you'd want to go for, is pure tumeric. Or rather, shops also sell tumeric for facial purposes. I haven't tried this as of yet, I hardly have any spare time. But I definitely will.
This post is just to send a message out there that there are two types of tumeric powder, for cooking and another for your face. So don't pick the wrong one, you'll breakout otherwise! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by MaiTy

Tried this several times. 1st I made a paste out of turmeric & water. Applied it to my zits & clogged pores & left it on overnite. It didn't dry out my skin. It made my pores look better, & shrunk my zits a little, but stained my face, bedding & pajamas.

Then I made the mask with yogurt, honey and turmeric and left it on for 10 min. My skin was stained orange. I suppose it had a little glow, but it wasn't worth the mess for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2014 5:17:00 AM More reviews by ahseonyul

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had read so many great reviews about a turmeric face mask so I decided to make one for myself on Friday night using equal parts of mauka honey and turmeric, and I also added a wee blob of aloe vera. I left the mixture on for 20 minutes and hen washed it off. As expected, I had a bright yellow face, but I didn't mind as it was a Friday (:
On Saturday morning I still had a bright yellow face, but I also had the biggest breakout I've had in years on my chin. It was a good 25~30 whiteheads on my chin and I just wanted to cry. I've had bad skin for years but recently it has calmed down and I was using this mask to get rid of acne scars, to even out my skin tine and lighten my skin, so it wasn't even to treat spots.
So it's Sunday morning and I've frantically been applying alove vera gel, coconut oil and vitamin e to the spots (not all at once) and have exfoiated too.
I don't know if my spots will have gone by tomorrow morning when I have school, and I've tried to stop wearing any makeup so I don't want to wear foundation in case my skin breaks out (even more).
Ah~~ I'm so disappointed because of the great things I had read about turmeric However, I'm thinking about trying it again when it's midterm (and I get a few days off) to see if the same thing happens again! Fingers crossed I don't have the same result!! :D
Oh and I said I would buy this if it ran out because I use it in my food and gave it better rating because it's really great to eat for digestion etc (:

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I bought regular grocery store turmeric in a plastic pouch with a resealable ziplock. I got it for around a dollar. The smell is very unpleasant to me. It seems almost damp and my flatmate thinks it smells a bit like dill. It tastes better than it smells by far. I can't stand to drink it in a tea as some other users suggested, but I am generous when I add it to any meal and can barely taste it.

I'm as white as new fallen snow with pink undertones. I tried turmeric powder as a face mask earlier today even though it's supposed to stain like a bitch and basically turn your face yellow as the sun for a few days. I have zero staining. I applied the mask for one hour and washed off with warm water and my regular cleanser. My mask was equal parts raw honey and turmeric powder. Even the staining on my nails came off after I washed my hands a few times.

So far my skin is really soft and the mask seems to have helped. I have really acne-prone skin. I break out horribly even though I've cut out dairy products, junk food and basically anything that isn't fruits/veggies or red meat. I'm hoping that this will help. I'll update again next week and once a week for the next 6 weeks until I can make an accurate judgement. So far, on 2014-01-25, I say that this works.

2014-01-26: Any leftover staining is completely gone following one more wash with regular cleanser. My skin still feels pretty soft and looks about average.
2014-01-27: Well, definitely don't try to wash turmeric off in a bath. My entire tub is now yellow and will require some serious scrubbing with CLR to return to it's previous white. I tried a hair mask with egg. The turmeric did lighten my hair somewhat after soaking for an hour and washing off in the bath. I shampooed twice and then rinsed well under the shower for good measure. No staining on my white towel this time.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 7:16:00 AM More reviews by sheenza

I love it!
I did not think it would work on such a scale that everyone else is talking about but it did work almost as soon as I washed the dried mask off!
The next day my skin was just glowing, I will definitely recommend people to at least give it a try.

One of my mom's friend recently used turmeric internally and externally and I was suprised because she usually looked haggard and now she seems to be glowing. That's when she told us her yellow secret and I made a paste of my own.

Ingredients for my mask:
- Milk
- Plain Flour
- Honey
- Turmeric

I did not really follow any measure for the mask since everything in the recipe is not too chemically complicated. I just made sure there is sufficient turmeric to give the mask a good yellow colour.

I made a small paste and placed the remaining paste in the fridge for future use and to keep the mask fresh :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ritaharoy

I have been using turmeric to treat my horrible skin. I have a lot of scarring due to hormonal acne and me perpetually picking on the acne. My mother recommended that I consume turmeric with honey for it will help with the breakouts. I saw no harm in this and made a tea out of this. I then read that applying it externally will help with scar fading. I incorporated turmeric into my lifestyle and VOILA! I have skin that I haven’t had for ages. This is my routine. Before settling into bed, I make a turmeric tea (turmeric powder, raw honey and black pepper) and consumer this every day. For my face I mix the turmeric powder with yogurt and some olive oil and apply it for 20-45 minutes (depending on what I am doing). I wash it with water first, then my face wash toughly to remove the yellow tint. In a few weeks, I have had splendid results.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by naj123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I use this to stop scarring.

When I was a kid and I fell down and had gashes on my body and face, my mom would make a quick paste with this and would apply it to the wound until it was healed. I have to admit the yellow coloring isn't attractive but whatevs it works.

As an adult, I used this for acne scars. After any zits pop, this immediately goes on it and I sleep with it, I would always have stained pillowcases, but its one of the few things that I always recommend.