November 24, 2014 | 1028 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric Mask

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 10:34:00 PM More reviews by purrsian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have reached a stage of not believing in most skincare products (unless it's all natural ingredients and reasonably priced), and I have been experimenting some DIY masks for several years and this one single ingredient is very effective, truly detoxing and anti-aging, problem-solving all around and really a must have, for external use or as a dietary supplement.

I'm going to skip all the benefits of turmeric here, just going to focus on my own experience.

I had a flare up of tiny mosaic warts under my eyes and on my cheeks some years ago and I had killed them with tea tree oil (100% pure, ouch!), however it also caused some burns and left the skin with some dark spots. Hyper-pigmentation under/ around eye area is particularly hard to recover, it made me look like having dark circles and having eye bags, awful!!! Tried many eye creams, from drug store brands to expensive ones, they could temporary improve it at their best, but did not cure. I kinda gave up and thinking this problem won't go away on its own no matter what I did, probably unless I seek professional help.

I had lost hope basically, until I stumbled across turmeric mask recipe on the internet. I had started using it twice a day for nearly 40 days and the problem was all clear and gone. On top of it, it gives me a very smooth, clear and even complexion, takes off puffiness, no more small bumps, it seems to draw out small bumps from the deeper level of skin to the surface, and kill them, and my facial skin seemed to be about 3 shades lighter than before. (I have fair asian skin tone) Then, I have started using turmeric body mask/ wrap once a week, and it does wonders! The inner thigh area has been lightened quite significantly, and doesn't look darker than my thighs now, and some firming effect, feel very refreshing afterward.

The following is my version of turmeric mask:

1. sour cream (230 grams) -- I prefer sour cream or greek yogurt to milk or regular plain yogurt, it won't drip.
2. lemon juice - half fresh lemon, juice it
3. a tablespoon of 100% pure almond paste or almond powder - I sometimes make it fresh via champion juicer, or use the powder form (can be founded in health food stores), this is optional I think
4. 1.5-2 tablespoon of turmeric powder

* I would use a lot more of turmeric for body wrap, replace almond with sea salt or raw sugar, focus on lymph areas, like armpits, neck, waist, buttocks, inner thighs, behind knees... rub it all over your body and leave it for awhile before shower.

Mix them all up, and this can last for a whole week, two applications daily. I also cover my face with cellophane after application, to make sure it doesn't dry up quickly and allowing the skin to absorb better, but I would lift it up and let it dry naturally before washing. Leave it on for at least 15-20 mins, rinse it first, then wash it twice with a mild cleanser/ handmade soap and a facial brush (if you have one), it definitely can take off the stain, but your finger nails would still be stained.

To make very sure no yellow stain left behind, wipe your face with a good toner and cotton pad, Kiehl's cucumber herbal toner does the job well, and then you are secure.

Really worth a try, if you have acne, hyper pigmentation, uneven skin tone or wrinkle problems, it really works, even just after 1-2 applications, you would see the difference. It literally takes years off your face, I had no patience to use all kinds of skincare products everyday and making it as a routine, but with this mask, yes, mainly because you do see results and improvement all the time, that's the best motivation to keep using it.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 2:04:00 AM More reviews by Aima19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this mask. I have been using it for two weeks regularly and my skin is so bright and smooth. Didn't help that much with the acne but I'll wait for another month or so. People complain about yellowing of the skin, I don't have that problem bcoz I use gram flour and turmeric , which doenst leave my skin yellow . I mix one teaspoon of gram flour and half teaspoon of turmeric and yougurt.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 10:45:00 PM More reviews by SophiaSopapilla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily, acne prone skin. I've tried just about every product for acne since I was a teenager. Now that I'm in my 30s, sun spots/hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone has been added to my list of skin woes.
Stumbled across turmeric on a healthy living blog. Had some at home in the cabinet and mixed it with almond oil, milk, honey, and white rice flour. Didn't see much change after the first use, but by the second and third my skin was softer, the tone more even and the hyper pigmentation less noticeable. I often use the Aztec indian clay mask for oil control but I think turmeric may work better, without the discomfort drying of the indian clay.

I also found better results using an organic turmeric over the store bought spice. The smell and the color/texture was different so I recommend purchasing organic as I saw a difference between the two.

I use this as often as I can, usually 3-4 times per week, leaving it on as long as I can, usually an hour. I mix up a decent sized batch and keep it in the fridge for the next few days use.

There has been some slight staining, nothing a wash and an overnight sleep didn't resolve.

Don't be a silly goose people. Give this a shot! I'm very critical of skin products and this stuff really did work for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 7:14:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My husband and I have been taking tumeric supplements for many years due to it being advised to be excellent for an antinflammatory diet which we started some years back and also with cooking with it (only downside is it is very staining but I love the taste it adds) and I can honestly say I notice if I do not take it and feel it makes a world of difference if used long term for a number of health issues including skin inflammatory conditions like acne. So for anyone who does not want the hassle of the staining I do recommend taking a tumeric supplement.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by danne1010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to have HORRIBLE psoriasis all over my body. My mom suggested I try taking Turmeric via a pill each day. I bought some otc and took it for a month.....certainly not expecting to see big results. I saw a HUGE improvement! I have just a few spots on my elbows, back and scalp. While I wish I was 100% free of this...which I will never be, I will say that I am 90% free of it. If I slack off taking it for just one day, I start to get itchy and notice the psoriasis flaring up. I would def. recommend it to anyone who is a psoriasis sufferer.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by wuteva

I had $8 left on a William Sonoma gift card and the only thing I could afford was a jar of turmeric. So glad! I've been mixing it with my Aztec clay and greek yogurt for the past 2 weeks and my skin is so happy. I've been making my own clay masks for about 5 years and this is my favorite add-in so far. Immediate results! Tighter pores, more overall clarity and just all that little "congestion" that looks gross in a magnified mirror are visibly diminished right after I wash it off. I'm hoping over time it will even out zit scars and freckles, but too soon to tell. I did have a couple of those annoying colorless bumps that just sit there doing nothing, and I believe this is what has brought them to a head so they can be on their way. The amount of turmeric I've used (1 to 4 ratio with clay) has not stained my face or hands, as far as I can see. Some say on certain complexions the yellow tint reads as a glow, so maybe that's me. I feel hella glowy.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by oliviamarie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The BEST anti-acne mask ever! I mix a little with either plain yogurt and a squeeze of lemon- or I mix it with another sulfur or clay mask. I will buy this amazing yellow stuff for the rest of my life!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by littlelolitagirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Whats not to love? I've used hi-end skin masks, and this works just as well,i use a more basic mask mixing half a tea spoon of tumeric with a spoon of natural yogurt. But its so versatile you can create your own. Yes it leaves my skin with a yellow tint, but it fades quickly. I instantly have smoother skin. I hope over time my skins discoloring fades but I don't know yet, I'll have to use it daily for a few months before i can decide.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 11:36:00 PM More reviews by booboondoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Use this every night! Along with my murad acne complex. Without it i dont koiw what'd i do! I make a paste of water with this and smear it all over my face and wake up with wrinkleless clear soft skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 5:17:00 AM More reviews by Rahine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Looooove turmeric! Makes my skin feel soft and gets rid of redness because of its anti inflammatory properties. I usually put about a tsp of turmeric to a tablespoon of honey (manuka) and a dash of cinnamon. I keep this mask on as long as I can. Anywhere from 30 min to a couple hours. If you are pale like me and the tint it leaves behind looks way to yellow, one pump of plain baby wash takes it right off. Baby wash is the only cleanser I've used that completely takes the yellow off. It's super gentle and you don't have to scrub your face off. I try to do this mask at least a couple times a week.