July 28, 2014 | 2081 users online

Pressed Powders - Revlon - PhotoReady Translucent Finisher

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by brielouise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of the best drugstore translucent powders on the market, for sure. If enough product is applied, it definitely keeps my foundation matte (with the help of a good primer of course) and makes it longer lasting. It obviously isn't a miracle product, considering it's inexpensive for a translucent powder, but for somebody who doesn't use them often, I really like it.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2012 5:03:00 AM More reviews by beabeautyqueen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: I needed to come back and share my disappointment with you all. I don't know why this powder looked so good when I applied it in a store using a tester, but I am quite disappointed with what I have found after using it for 2 weeks. I really did try with this one, wanted to love it.

MUA's, remember that a good translucent finishing powder should will be finely milled and extremely soft to the touch. This is what gives you that flawless, soft, non cakey finish. Many high end translucent finishers will (most of the time) contain silica powder. The Revlon Photoready does not have the texture, or ingrediants to even compare with other high end makeup finishers.

I have found that this powder does not settle into my skin, it sits on top and does not blend well. It highlighted small bumps on my skin, and appeared cakey around slightly dryer areas of my skin. I wanted to like it, so I continued using it, thinking that perhaps I just wasn't having a good skin week, but no - still caked up on me. I even bought a good qaulity stipple brush because I thought perhaps it could have been an application error. No. Just didn't work for me. I also found that the powder lightened my skin by 1 shade, I needed to apply my darker foundation, so that I wouldn't appear fair, like the powder made me. The sparkles started to become a problem. I do not know why Revlon put sparkles in a translucent finisher. It is a massive turn off.

The texture of this powder is NOT soft and finely milled like a translucent powder should be. I would not recommend it. I will be giving this to my sister instead. I have since switched to a silica based, finely milled translucent powder which is similar to the MUFE translucent finisher.

I have uploaded a picture of the Revlon Photoready finisher. Hope this review helped, beautyqueens! x
-----------------------------------------
After reading dozens of negative reviews and complaints about the sparkles, I decided that I would put this product to the test. I have ordered it online, however I couldn't wait so I decided to go into Priceline (drugstore in Aus) and see what all the hype about the sparkles was about.

Sparkles: I appied both the Photoready foundation, concealer AND the translucent finisher. All of which contain these light reflecting sparkles. I looked in several different mirrors that day. I also went out into the sun to see if the sparkles were noticeable. They were barely apparent, and remember - this is with the Photoready foundation too. If you look really closely (4 cm away), you can notice some small sparkles, but like I said - they were barely visible on me and nobody is going to be staring at your face from 4cm away. Remember, I was using the foundation too which also contains the light reflecting sparkles, so the sparkles would have been more noticeable on me than anyone else who was just wearing this over their foundation.

Colour: As the product is translucent, it is colourless. It looks white in the packaging, but it will not add colour if you apply it correctly. I have a light - medium skin tone, so I was worried that this product would lighten my skin. It didn't.

Durability: Makeup stayed on all day. I even pressed a tissue on my face, and hardly any makeup came off. Applied it around 12.00 noon, came home at 8 and my makeup still looked beautiful and fresh.

For the price, I'd totally recomment this product. Unfortunately for us in Australia, it RRPs for $27.95, and that's USD too. I bought mine online for $11.95. I would still recommend it even if you paid full price for it. It is considerably cheaper than buying mac, and is very similar to the mac translucent finisher.

Hope this review helps, beauty queens! x

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2012 1:54:00 AM More reviews by kalikabarlow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Broke me out. Not happy.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2012 9:03:00 AM More reviews by rain12blue

After using this compact for some time now I can finally place a verdict to this product.

PROS:
- Pretty much affordable, I got it on a sale like those 3 for 2 offers
- Sets foundation and makes your face look flawless especially on photographs

CONS:
- Mattifying ability is non-existent
- Will emphasize your acne/bumps
- Way too much sparkles

I thought that by tapping out the excess of the powder you will somehow get rid of the sparkles but no it does not.

Overall it photographs well and makes your face flawless but in person it is very sparkly and people DO NOTICE the sparkles.

Would probably not purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2011 4:29:00 PM More reviews by alexanna7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i use this translucide finishing powder to do a nice finish over some minerals or foundations.this brings a nice dewy look to all of my foundations or minerals! It sets the foundations pretty well,leaves a nice finish,blends well.i use this with either my powder brush or my stambling brushes by ecotools,wich works perfectly with that powder.love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/31/2011 3:03:00 AM More reviews by p1nkb1iss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I don't like this product. I will not purchase this again, I bought Clinique's loose powder and MUFE's HD microfinish powder. All in all, I give up on drugstore finishers/loose powders.

PROS:
- it does what it's supposed to do, it mattifies your face and sets your foundation
- there's a lot of product

CONS:
- way too sparkly
- i know it's "translucent", not transparent, but this makes my face paler than it is, which is strange because then my face will be slightly lighter than my neck
- packaging is hard to open

I bought this at the same time as L'Oreal's True Match Naturale soft-focus mineral finish... compared to that, this definitely does it's job as a finisher more... it mattifies and sets... but I really don't like the sparkles. I'm probably going to regret this, but I'm trying out random drugstore foundations (I've tried Revlon Colorstay, DNAdvantage, and Maybelline's Instate Age Rewind) but I decided I'll try the Photoready too.. because I really want to like Revlon... but honestly, cut it with the sparkles.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by MelodyStarr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is just as bad as the Revlon Photoready foundation. Sparkly powder on OILY skin is not a good mix.

If you are oily get a matte powder!!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Olom

I've been using this translucent powder for about a week and it is nothing but average. It keeps oil at bay for a few hours and I like the brightness it adds to my skin (I wear this over my foundation) - it doesn't make me look too pale/chalky. I didn't notice the little sparkles in it when I picked it up at the store and when I DID see them, I thought it would look like crap on my face but surprisingly they are not too bad... I guess the sparkles are meant to reflect the light, giving a "photoready" effect (it makes your skin look more luminous). I still think though that if this product had NO sparkles or WAY LESS sparkles, it would have upped the rating (for me, anyway) - I'm just paranoid that the sparkles will be too noticeable when I go out into daylight. I'm not sure yet if this powder is breaking me out - I need to wear it longer to be sure if this is the culprit. Otherwise, I think I generally like this better than my previous translucent powder (Sephora Mineral Matte Touch Up Powder) but it was about the same price, which is expensive for me ($20 CDN). I will update soon!

UPDATE: Eh, I was too scared to wear this out in public because I felt that the little sparkles would be too noticeable under sunlight and other types of light. I now only use this on my eyelids, before applying eyeshadow. I don't want this to go to waste, I spent $20 on it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 7:10:00 PM More reviews by casutton1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this!
I love the sparkles I know it seems to be a con for most people, but I love how it gives me that extra little glow.
This powder is fantastic, I just have to be careful not to get too much on my brush, but that's easy.
It makes my face feel really smooth.
It's not over priced and dark like the L'oreal "translucent" finisher -- which I used for about a year for lack of a better translucent finisher.
But this one is fantastic and not too pricey!
I'm so happy with this product.

PROS:
-Sparkles
-Leaves my skin feeling so smooth
-Lasts all day for my oily skin
-The package is adorable

CONS:
-The package is a little difficult to open

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2011 8:28:00 PM More reviews by SpartangrL7911

Biggest waste of $11.99 which is expensive for a drugstore product/cheap side of Ulta product.
1) It has sparkles in it.
2) The "compact" as the powder comes is very brittle. Every brush I've tried I get way too much powder. I've tried my kabuki brush and a fan brush ( I use paint brushes from Michaels as make up brushes). It flakes away when you use a brush.
3) When you apply it you end up with sparkles everywhere. I noticed it it washes my complexion out. It appears as if I have spread chalk dust on my face.
4) The last straw was when one of my classmates asked me if I was ill and I wasn't.