July 22, 2014 | 2431 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Essential Eyelid Primer - Sheer

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2014 1:12:00 AM More reviews by acatcalledbellatrix

I bought this as I needed a sheer eye primer that was thin and didn't crease on my eyes. This works perfectly and does everything it's meant to but it irritated my eyes like crazy.

I used this under some Chi Chi eyeshadows in quite a dramatic peacock eye look for a 21st back in April. I came home that night, removed my eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and false eyelashes and was left with red, itchy, scaley, dry eyelids. As I had used so many new products that night, I wasn't sure what had caused it. At first I thought it was the lash glue but after using it again with no reaction that was ruled out. I eventually narrowed it down to this eye primer.

The second time using it made the reaction a lot worse than the first time and it took two weeks to clear up.

It only cost me $3 and I have had no other reaction to any ELF products so I will not rule out the brand from one bad experience.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2014 12:37:00 AM More reviews by lifeinfuschia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is *the* option for your very first eye primer. It's a mere dollar! It's much much better than going without, that's for sure. It gives a sheer wash of color and makes the color stay for about 6 hours before it starts to break down. It's not a miracle worker but it's a good first option. If you love eye shadow, buy urban decay's instead.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by larosedechanel

For me, unfortunately, this was another "just all right" product. It's good for its price of $1, but it's not a good primer overall. I think it's good for a teenager's first primer or for somebody who's just starting out wearing makeup. If you're experienced & have used a quality primer, I think you'll agree this is... blah. I'm not sure whether it's the formula, or my oily skin that's the issue. It's not absolutely horrid, but it's not something I'm enthusiastic about recommending to you.

Like all primers, e.l.f. Cosmetics' eyelid primer preps your lids for longer-lasting & to stop eyeshadow from creasing. I think this primer is a bit oily; like I mentioned, I have oily skin & that's probably why it looks/feels greasy on my eyes. The product packaging is that of a lip gloss. A tube, a wand, & a sponge applicator. I apply the primer to my my eyelid & blend it in with my fingertip. After it dries, I put on eyeshadow like normal. This is a cheap primer to me. I mean it does work... for a little while. It does what it's supposed to, but just barely.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by xoxomalak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I get the same outcome with urban decays primer. I have trialed both of them. Urban decays does eventually crease sometimes and so does this. Sometimes I felt like this lasted longer. This doesnt make ur lids matte but does keep shadow from creasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by troo12

I don't know what changed but this primer no longer is working for me. It's greasy and just sits on my eyelids. Even if I barely use any, it still creases like crazy.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2014 10:30:00 PM More reviews by anglmill

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product was pretty worthless for me. Worked slightly better than nothing at all, but at the end of the day I still had shadow build up in my creases. Maybe it works for some people, and I just have especially oily eyelids. I didn't expect much for the price, but was still a little disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by AsianWonder805

This is better than the Urban Decay Primer Potion! The UD one runs for about $20 while this one only runs for $1 & it works even better!! My eyeshadow will stay for 12+ hours & it never creases! I am almost finished with bottle #2 & I will be repurchasing

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by BubblegumKisses

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

All I can say about this product is YEEEESSS. Before buying this, I just tried using concealer as a primer, but it creased horribly. This actually withstands my oily eyelids and keeps my shadows on all day!! I used this primer today when i went to a glassblower studio and my shadows DID NOT BUDGE even next to the heat of 3 furnaces! Just remember that this is a primer, it doesn't claim to make your shadows look more vibrant, although it does help a little with that. For $1, you must! try this if you have not!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2014 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Chinesegirl04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Con's
- didnt help with the shadow, after 1 hour my shadow greased.
- little product in the tube.

Its around $1-2 in the states, but here it is around $5,- for the elf primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by melissalovesmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great primer for beginners - but that's about it. I find that there are so many better quality primers for just a few dollars more. I do see a difference in using this and using nothing at all, but after wearing during the day I found that the eyeshadow creased and caked with this primer. The eyeshadow found its way into the lines in my eyes and the colors separated and it didn't look very pretty. I find myself always using my UDPP or my WnW Fergie eyeshadow primer. They work 1000x better and I don't notice any problems with either of them. The WnW primers is a bit more oily so I do prefer my UDPP over everything. If you are just beginning makeup, I would recommend using this primer because it's an inexpensive way to experiment with makeup. For the first few months when I was buying makeup I would stick to drugstore makeup such as E.L.F., Covergirl, Maybelline, WnW, and N.Y.C. After a while of experimenting with makeup from these brands, I find myself STILL loving them but also loving my Urban Decay, Lorac, and Sephora brand makeup. I will NEVER stop buying inexpensive brands because sometimes the deal is too great to pass up and a lot of the time you are pleasantly surprised by the quality of some of these products, but they won't live up to the standards of a more pricey high-quality product.