October 1, 2014 | 2003 users online

Stick - Shu Uemura - Nobara cream cover stick

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 7:00:00 AM More reviews by dodobat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my 2nd stick foundation (the first stick foundation I purchased was Benefit play sticks) and I love it alot. Although it is a stick foundation, it is not drying but feels rather creamy to the touch. According to the description on the website, this foundation gives the instant high coverage of a concealer with the smooth glide of a foundation. It also contains three types of oils, gliding, light and emollient combine to enhance the foundation spreadability, creaminess and comfort felt when applied to the skin. This foundation is true to its description. It feels exceptionally comfortable when applied to the skin and leaves a semi matte finish. You have the option of powdering over it or you can wear it alone. Personally I like to finish off with a light dusting of loose powder and it looks perfect. The coverage of this foundation is adjustable (sheer to medium to full) depending on how you apply it. If you desire a sheer natural finish then you can apply the foundation stick to a damp sponge and then spread it on the face. For a medium coverage, draw 3 stripes of the foundation to your cheeks (war paint style) and blend away with your fingers or a dry sponge. If you desire a full coverage finish also draw 3 stripes to your cheeks but blend it away with a foundation brush instead. Personally I prefer to just blend this foundation with my fingers. It just melts to a natural skin-like finish when I blend it away with my fingers. I never look like I am wearing a mask and just look like I have fantastic skin. Also, this foundation is very pigmented but lightweight so you it will never feel heavy on your face. My only gripe is how little product there is for the $$$ you pay; it only contains 11gm. I have used it for about 5 times now and I can see that the stick has shortened by a few mm! I don't use very much because my skin is generally clear except for the occasional breakout here and there. This foundation covers blemishes and scars nicely and you really don't need to use a separate concealer. I also have very sensitive skin and this foundation doesn't irritate it the slightest bit. I can wear this foundation for long hours and my skin still feels very comfortable (not usually the case with other foundations). For reference I am MUFE HD 117, Chanel Teint Innocence #10 Albatre and I use this in #774.

UPDATE 13/8/2010: I find that the best way to apply this foundation is wet a sponge, squeeze away excess water then rub a sufficient amount of the stick foundation against the sponge. The apply it on your face with light strokes and dabbing it slowly as you go. I promise you that the effect you get it just like your own skin but better! I can't stop looking at my face!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by ladyjaie7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation, this is the first foundation that I have ever used that I don't have to pair with concealer. It has unbelievable coverage and does not make me oily but then again I pair this with vichy oil control lotion and then smashbox primer. But this foundation really matches my skin and it looks amazing. Its a shame this brand is being pulled from the States but you can still order it online. But with foundation you really need to try the colors or it will be completely off.
The SA at Barneys matched my face color - thank goodness because I wouldve bought a totally different color from the website.
i highly recommend and also doesn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 7:49:00 AM More reviews by mikmik90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So firstly, I love this product. I use it with the shu #18 brush (HG!). To make this review concise/clear, im just going to write up pros and cons.

Pros:
- Can be used as a concealer as opposed to a foundation (normally, that is how i use this)

- Medium/full coverage. You only need a tiny amount of product to get good coverage.

- Used with the shu #18 brush (thanks to the MUA'er that suggested this brush to me), it blends effortlessly due to its creamy texture.

-Dries to a satin finish. Not matte or caky, but not moist either.

- Very natural finish, provided that you use sparingly. I dab a little on my finger, then dab onto face, then blend with finger or #18 brush. The "stripe on forehead and cheeks and then blend" technique doesnt work for me, i feel like that is way too much product for my liking.

- Doesnt break me out- then again I dont consider myself breakout prone (moreso when i was younger, though).

- According to many others, this pictures very well. Ive only taken a few pictures recently so I cant really comment.

Cons:
- If you have any flaky patches at all, steer away. This really emphasizes flaky patches- luckily for me i dont really suffer with any.

- Colour selection is tricky, especially if you are cool/pink toned. They tones are *very* yellow (at least, on me). I had to mix 584 and 564 (500's are shu's neutral colours, but are still rather yellow) to get my exact match (im a NW20, for reference). I personally dont mind mixing but people looking for a quick foundation might find this bothersome.

- Application is a little tricky. You need to fiddle with it and find the best method for you. You cant just rub it into your skin like a moisturizer. For me, the finger dabbing technique works best because i want a little less coverage. If you stuff up the first and second application, keep trying/experimenting.

Overall, my HG foundation (tied with Armani Luminous silk, i love them both but for different reasons and different occasions). Pm me if anyone has questions :)

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by betsyab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG foundation. Before you think, "what? It's so thick!!" I tell you to buy a tube, take it home, and play with it yourself. Everytime I've let a makeup artist put this on me with a brush, my skin feels like it is suffocating. I look great, but suffocating. I'm a natural girl who often doesn't wear any make up at all on many days, but when I want to look polished I like to do it right. I put on this foundation by dabbing it only in the areas I need (think T zone plus reddish cheeks and chin) and then blend in with my fingers. PERFECT coverage, you cant' even see that I'm wearing anything at all it blends in that flawlessly.

I also have sensitive skin, and Shu foundations are the only ones I've ever been able to wear without any irritation.

Buy this, try it, just play with different applications yourself. I also think a sponge would be great to put it on and blend it in. You can put it on as thin or thick as you like. Love it!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 12:36:00 PM More reviews by Kallisandra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Can't say I am a big fan of the new packaging but it's a little better than in the pan. I usually for spot treatment. It's not an everyday foundation. Most likely for special occasions and pictures. Very FLAWLESS when applied with the goat hair brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2010 5:08:00 PM More reviews by ratmist

I love this product. Shu Uemura stopped making the cream foundation I had been using (Water Perfect Water-in cake Foundation), but I wasn't too upset when I saw the shades in this product are much more suited to my skintone.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging (that's the missing lippie). The stick-style feels pretty flimsy and the top doesn't stay on as well as I would've expected for a top brand. I'm not confident using it for traveling because sometimes I find the top comes off when it's in my bag; it has to sit in a makeup bag for me to be certain it'll hold or not get damaged. I travel a lot for business, so this cheap packaging really grates, especially for the price you pay. Also, I liked the compact because I could reapply and blend away with the sponge - can't do that as well with a stick, unless I just use my fingers, and that's not as hygienic (yes, I'm one of those girls who wash the sponge for hygiene). And no way to buy refills to save money- the compact lets you do that, but this won't. Boo.

On the plus side, it's so thick that I only need to use this where I need it. It's more like half foundation, half concealer, which I love. It's very creamy, easy to blend, and dries pretty quickly. Sometimes I dust with powder, but often I don't bother. It is a very natural finish and I love the formula.

It's so easy to get ready in the mornings because I don't need to use concealer with this. I just apply it with a good makeup brush to go where it's needed (redness or uneven T zone), slap on a tiny bit of lipgloss, and I'm good to go.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2010 10:16:00 AM More reviews by helbeluk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first experienced this during a Shu Uemura make-up session, where the MUA used it with a goat-hair brush for blending and to be fair, my skin did look *flawless*. However, it's most definitely on the heavy coverage side of things, which means it's too obvious for my liking on a day-to-day level.
So, I bought it and use it solely as a concealer, using a Body Shop concealer brush to blend. Occasionally (for a big evening) I also use a body shop foundation brush to blend this across my reddish cheeks for extra coverage....And as a concealer this is a fab product. Yes, it's expensive (£44 I think for the tube), and while the packaging is clean-looking (white twist up plastic tube), it could be better for the price...but considering the size and the tiny amount needed when it's used as a concealer, this is fab value.
I have tried to use it as a foundation a few times, and you have to be really scrupulous about exfoliating and moisturising just prior or this will sit on any flakes and make them look worse.
So, a great product - just not necessarily in the way it was intended! I think if you have normal/oily-normal skin and need heavy coverage, this would be great. I also haven't tried it with a damp sponge, which may make blending down to natural level a bit easier....
Incidentally, I use Bare Escentals moneral foundation powder over the top, very lightly, to give the natural coverage I want for the rest of my face (the bits which don't need concealing but could do with evening out), and the Nobara-BE combo is great and has brilliant staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by chakalakakhan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a smart product. Good range of colors, great portable packaging, and medium buildable coverage. It's great if your going to take photos, but unfortunately for me it accentuated my dry patches. I do use retin-a which causes me to be red and flaky, so this product is not truly at fault. But I do prefer a smoother, emollient formula regardless. And I prefer the face architect foundation, which is the best foundation out there in my opinion. And i''ve pretty much tried them all!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by shaleelo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So now that im livingin singapore now, my skin type has changed somewhat, its more normal rather than really dry. Before i wouldnt have dared to go near the tick foundation simply because i would be too scared it would cake on me too much, but now that my skin is better, i decided to give this a try, especially after hearing the raves about it from youtube.

its very easy to apply, just three strokes on each cheek is enough to cover my face without looking to cakey and made up. it gives my skin that no-makeup look that ive spent my life searching for. the finish is even better when i rememeber to wet my spong to blend it out.

I use a sponge to blend it out most of the times, ive never found myself useing my fingers. and for spot treatment, i used a concealer brush and its works equally as well as that. love it soo much.

The only reason it didnt get 5/5 is because recently ive found that i cant use it on my t-zone, and making me break out in those areas, every where else is fine, luckily i dont neever coverage on my nose, just round the sides.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2010 1:33:00 AM More reviews by foryouinfullblossom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to adore this product, and in a way, I do, but in other ways it was disappointing. Just that as a foundation, I rather hate it, but it's become my Holy Grail of concealers.

As a foundation, I think it's much, much, MUCH too heavy. I have some mild discolouration along my jawline, and large pores, so I always lean towards more medium coverage, over sheer. However, by my standards, this was too heavy overall. I felt like I'd painted my face and that my skin could barely breathe.

So, why give it 4 stars then?

Well, to date it's the best concealer I've ever used. I warm a little on the end of my finger by swirling it on the top of the stick, and then dab it under my eyes and on any dark spots. And it's brilliant! What I hated about it as a foundation, was exactly what I loved about it as a concealer. And the packaging is great. So portable. I often take just this with me to the gym so that it's all I need to touch up afterwards - and I love that I can actually just throw it in my pocket!

However, be cautioned, that if you're like me and are the lightest shade is every foundation and every concealer out there - be wary about getting the lightest shade in the Nobara cream cover stick. Makes me a little ghost-ish. When I repurchase, I'm definitely trying the next two shades up. :)