April 16, 2014 | 948 users online

Hair - Philip Kingsley - Elasticizer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 10:42:00 AM More reviews by qmsterling

Expensive and I don't get the hype. My green tub of 3-minute drugstore-brand hair mask seems to do the same job.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2011 9:33:00 PM More reviews by emmio10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I used to use this a year ago, but then forgot about it until I whipped it out today to put back to good use (i'm trying to use up loads of products before buying new ones). I had totally forgotten how the Elasticizer makes my hair feel super soft, strong, healthy and full of life. But the reason I stopped using it was because I find pre-shampoo treatments such a pain (yes Ojon, I'm talking about you too!). When I bought this, I thought it was a deep conditioning treatment after shampooing which was my own silly mistake. Personally I find putting it on before actually washing my hair quite bothersome, messy and long which was a put off because I never seem to have enough time for this process. However, the results are excellent and well worth it. I remember using it around a few times a month and when I went to get my hair trimmed, my hairdresser commented that my hair was in MUCH better condition than before and my ends did not look as dead and frazzled from heat. I will definitely finish this up as my hair is in need of some TLC atm since a disastrous bleach job so I plan to use this once a week for the next month to ensure that my hair is in good shape for my next colour job. I'm not fond of the tub packaging as I prefer pumping products out due to hygiene reasons, I sometimes get bits of my hair in the product as I keep having to dip my hand back in. If I use this generously on my hair, then it will be oily and weighed down the next day so those with fine, straight hair like me, use sparingly! I mainly focus on massaging it into my mid-length and ends, comb it through with a wide tooth and pop a shower cap on. Sometimes, I even use a blow dryer over it for a few secs for some extra heat to really ensure the Elasticizer penetrates into my hair. Depending on how much time I have, I could leave this in from a few hours to 10 minutes min. but I prefer not to sleep with it in because I didn't find it comfortable when I tried. The Elasticizer is quite pricey and probably would last me about 2 months of weekly uses (for ref: I have medium lenth, fine hair), so I won't be rushing to repurchase just yet as I want to try new products. But, I probably will sometime in the future as it really is a great moisturizing and strengthening treatment for my hair. I just wish it was post shampoo.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 3:45:00 AM More reviews by berna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Yeees, I would buy it again, again and again! If I had to choose only one product except the shampoo, it would be that. I am not sure whether I am using it porperly (since I let it overnight on my hair), but my hair is in a wonderful position, no flyawys, shaped waves.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by hetsy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Ok a great product and leaves your hair stronger, glossier and more manageable. The price tag is a bit to high for my liking. I use this now and again for a intense treatment.

A tip for you girls who want a cheaper alternative. I mix castor oil, olive oil, water and emulsifier into a spray bottle. I spray onto my hair before a hair wash.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by LucySnow

This pre-shampoo treatment is AWESOME. It is scent-free and has a very creamy consistency. You apply it to dampened hair, leave it on for 15-20 minutes (add heat, if needed), then shampoo, condition and style as usual. It adds a ton of moisture to my hair without weighing it down. My ends stay smooth and my style lasts longer when I've used this - and it also makes my hair much more frizz resistant. Love, love, love this product. It is worth every penny and I've just repurchased.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 3:44:00 PM More reviews by femabg

This saved my hair. I find this product amazing after using so many products thanks to it my hair is now very long, shiny and healthy. I use it before every shampoo because my hair is very coarse and frizzy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

While I'm not a fan of silicone haircare products (since it's everywhere), this product is absolutely a lifesaver for damaged, burned, fried hair. It contains silicone, but it doesn't seem to weigh down or coat my hair in any bad way.

I like that it's used before shampooing, it doesn't have to soak in a long time (1/2 hr is enough), it washes out easily & leaves behind bouncy, shiny, vibrant hair w/personality. Damaged hair is revived.

It doesn't need to be used often (depending on individual hair needs) & I don't have to use a lot to get good results. This product is a godsend for me.
It works great whether or not you use it w/the matching Moisture shampoo & conditioner. I have done both.

It's quite expensive, but it's worth it. And being that it's used infrequently & only small amounts are needed, I actually consider it cost-effective. It's not appropriate for healthy hair, but it's very good for damaged hair in need of repair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 2:33:00 AM More reviews by mica8999

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got the 500ml tub which comes with a pump, which I love. No scooping required. Bought it last year due to the grear reviews here. At that time I had virgin, hair bit it tends to be frizzy, poofy and coarse. Tried this a couple of times, varying the amount of time I left it in, and was disappointed with the result. My hair felt kind of dry after that, had even MORE volume (totally unwanted result in my case) and didn't feel nor look healthier. If anything it was a few notches down than before. So I shelved it away. Fast forward to last month and I have now started colouring my hair (too many grays, sigh...) and my hair is now drier, and stiff feeling. Not yet straw-like, but getting there. Been using this a couple of times, and NOW it managed to give me nice, soft, silky, shiny hair! applied it to length and ends, covered my head with a shower cap and one of those microfibre turban wrap over it, and after an hour,shampoo and finish of with conditioner/mask. So, in my case this didn't work on my virgin, unprocessed hair, but worked great when I started tampering with my hair.

On a side note, one of the main ingredients in the Elasticiser is castor seed oil. I have been putting pure food grade castor oil on my scalp nightly where I have 2 baldish spots on the left and right front part of my head. Not exactly baldish but I forever have fine, baby hair at those parts which refused to grow longer and due to it's fineness, I look baldish there. I put just a bit of castor oil with a cotton bud on those parts and after 3 weeks, those bald spots are gone! I have new, real hair growing there, though now I look like I have horns growing under my hair. Great right? (About the new hair part, not the horn looking part)

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2010 8:23:00 AM More reviews by savliving

In the last 3 years my hair went to hell. I got really sick and just didn't take care of it anymore and the medicines just made it worse. I started visiting the hair board in January and have been using elasticizer since March. At first I used it nearly every shampoo and now just once every 1-2 weeks. My hair is completely different now. I also take very good care of it now so I don't need a ton of products, but this is a staple. The 500 ml tub has lasted me months also. I will never be without this product even though ordering from the US is outrageous. I look for deals on amazon uk, etc. update:8/11/11 I still use this product with amazing results. I only have to use it maybe once a month if even that now. I credit this along with lurking the hair board to changing my hair. 10/15/2012 I still use then only when my hair is needing it, otherwise i shouldn't need any for a long time.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2010 5:06:00 PM More reviews by marymary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love that you use this BEFORE shampooing. Who's got time to stand around in the shower waiting for a deep conditioner to work, or who conditions, gets out the shower, waits around, and then gets back in again to rinse? Not me. You do need to dampen hair first, I just use a water spray. It only needs to be left in for half an hour or so, less might work but I happily wait half an hour.

Afterwards hair is shiny and smooth without feeling weighed down.

I have Asian hair that used to be pretty darn perfect until I had to colour to hide greys. Now it's almost as nice as it was, rather than somewhat fried. When I run my fingers through my hair it FEELS stronger rather than brittle.

The wonder of it is that the effect lasts through several shampoos. Amazing!

It is somewhat expensive and I only got about five uses from the 150ml jar. I have long hair, but maybe I used too much. Think I will get the litre size next time.