Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 15

3.5

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide. Ingredients: Silica, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Lipids, Jojoba Esters, Pearl Powder, Lauroyl Lysine, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Extract, Lycium Chinenesis (Lycii) Berry Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Extract. ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 5/7/2012 10:19:00 PM

My quest to find a mineral foundation is ongoing. The phenomenon that Bare Essentials has created is too difficult not to get caught up in and I have to admit, mineral foundations cause a lot less breakouts for me than liquid foundations do.

After becoming disillusioned by BE fairly quickly, I've tried Bobbi Brown (ick!), Origins Skin tone Corrector (not bad) and now this.

First of all, the shades are on the cool side and it also jumps from a light medium shade straight to darker shades. There's no choice in between which is unfortunately where I fall. I'm a warmer medium tone. I liked the way this felt on my skin and the coverage was good and decided that with a little bronzer I could probably make this work.

Secondly, the puff it comes with is pretty much pointless unless you want to keep it to 'blot' as opposed to reapply during the course of the day. I also don't like how the pan doesn't lift to store the puff underneath it. I hate any compact powder that has it's sponge applicator just sitting on top of the product.

I've had this for about three months now - initially a heart sink, another product I'd wasted money on. But it's grown on me. I have put that I wouldn't repurchase but that's because I haven't made up my mind yet as I'll still be looking for an alternative whilst using this. It does cover blemishes, gives a smooth flawless look when initially applied. However, pretty soon the T-zone becomes shiny and it needs reapplication I'd say about 2-3 times a day, just over the shinier areas. I also think the brush Laura Mercier recommend with this (a medium handled fluffy brush) is a bit of a dud. It's better applied with a kabuki brush (I recommend Chanel - MAC one makes me a little itchy and the Bobbi Brown one is too soft and glossy to really pick up product to then buff in). I also needed to be really careful about evenly spreading this product out - if you buff a little more product on the 'problem' areas, it starts looking a little caked where the product seems to just clog on top of the previous application, looks grey/dark brown (depending on the shade you've bought obviously). It's better to take a much smaller, flat foundation brush and just add little bits to blemishes to get a little more coverage. I then use Chanel Soleil Tan (Bronzing Makeup Base) lightly over it to adapt more to my natural skin tone. And it works!

on 4/29/2012 2:00:00 PM

Holy full coverage batman! I use Rich Vanilla and I'm NC25. I use the sponge it comes with to apply all over then buff buff buff with my kabuki brush. Flawless finish but I do need to touch up midday because I'm oily and live in extreme hot climate. A little goes a long way.

on 4/3/2012 8:33:00 PM

I feel this is a very misunderstood product.

I call this my mineral equivalent of MAC Studio Fix powder because it has grrreeaatt coverage but if you use the powder puff and constantly dip it back in to the powder and apply more you will get greasy but powdery oxidised cake face within the hour.

Most days I dip my kabuki in and it can do one half of my face. If i want fuller coverage Ill apply it with the sponge fairly heavily but then Ill go back and buff it in which is KEY for any mineral powder, pressed or loose.
The sponge that comes with it has two textures..one side for heavy coverage and the other for touch ups. If I need to touch up, one pat in the foundation with the sponge will do my whole tzone.

The finish is a very natural and perfecting satin look with medium coverage that looks more like full but really isnt if that makes any sense?! It really does 'blur' imperfections.

I constantly hear industry artists say 'Its full coverage but you can sheer it out' and I really feel that for this foundation...you can do whatever you want with it if you know how.

The coulours in this range are different than the loose powder version so be careful! Im real sand in the pressed but I am sure I would be one down in the loose version, which Im hanging to try.

on 1/13/2012 8:12:00 PM

I didn't like this powder at first...but now love it. I think the problem a lot of people have is that they're trying to use this like a regular powder instead of a mineral product. Use it sparingly and you should be just fine. One generous swipe with the provided sponge should be enough to do a whole half of your face! Start at the periphery of your face and work in (or at least I do when I use this). This powder builds well. I have a hyperpigmented spot on a cheek due to an acne scar that I can cover by building the product over it. I personally wouldn't use a brush with this. I understand that some people say this works, but this product is expensive and that would use it too quickly. Plus, I remember reading something about brush application and the resulting inhalation of mineral products not being good for people. Shade matches are fine when used properly IMO. The finish isn't shimmery like a lot of mineral products can be. I haven't had an acne breakout since using this product. I probably like the other LM powder foundation better because I can get it in a shade with a stronger yellow undertone; however, the shades for this product are still pretty good and, again, I have less breakouts with it.

on 1/3/2012 11:16:00 PM

I read alot of reviews on this product and was pretty nervous at first and considered returning it but now I'm so glad I didn't this is by far my favourite foundation I have sort of oily skin fair skin and this matches perfectly and doesn't cake at all. It a little pricey though but its worth it.

on 11/22/2011 8:43:00 PM

I prefer using powder foundation with medium coverage for regular work days. When I started to hit pan on my Make Up Forever Duo Mat powder, I figured I would try something new. So off I was to Sephora and after looking a little, decided I wanted to try this foundation. At the store, the SA matched me up and it looked like a good match. So I came home all happy and the next day I put it onn, as I was applying it, I realized that it was the wrong color, it was about 2 shades darker for me and made me look dull. I figured I would wait to step out and see it in daylight, sure enough it made me look dull and dark with zero coverage. By about lunchtime, it totally disappeared. It lasted only about 5 hours! So I went back to sephora hoping they would give me a better shade but the next shade was too light for me. And I trotted right back to MUFE.
As per my single use - too expensive, limited choice of colors, has no lasting power. I would not recommend it to anyone with combination/oily skin.

on 10/18/2011 9:10:00 AM

I read alot of reviews before buying this - and so didn't have super high expectations. Alot of people didn't seem to like it, but some claimed HG status. However, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I think the bad reviews must have been from people whose skin did not match the colour of the powder. I have quite fair skin, and the tender rose (not even the lightest one) matches my skin perfectly. It gives a nice velvety finish without looking cakey or fake. I also like that it's not just a plain powder, but has some skincare benefits to it. Some pressed powders clog my pores but this one did not. It is expensive, but I only plan to use it when I'm out for touch ups, so I think it will last. If the colour doesn't match your skin don't bother. But if you find your shade, go for it! Lovely :)

on 10/14/2011 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is a great product! I have oily, acne-prone skin and this is doesn't break me out. The only issue: it doesn't actually keep shine at bay-I have to use a mattifying moisturizer for that. Otherwise, it does impart a glow and provide decent coverage. A rare, non-ashy match for black skin :)

I love you Laura Mercier Powder, I really do, but you're so expensive! I love that this is one of the rare powders out there that doesn't show every flake on my face AND has just enough yellow to correct redness in my uber pale face. Sadly, I could never make it through an 8-hr work day without my face getting oily and it showing every pore on my face. It's not you Laura, really, it's me.

on 5/14/2011 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Worst pressed powder. It's very powdery therefore you end up using more than required. It cakes up very easily and settles in the pores. Absolute waste of money