NARS Loose Powder

talc, silica, polyethylene, zea mays [zea mays (corn) starch], nylon-66, isopropyl myristate, disodium edta, dimethicone, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, /- may contain : mica, ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides) ci 77891 (titanium dioxide) ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green).

on 12/5/2011 5:26:00 PM

I have in Desert for my NC30/C4 skin and using a puff to press and roll makes all the difference in the world. This powder sets my face for at least 8 hours with no caking and has a soft finish, not powdery at all. I dip the velour puff in, pat against the back of hand, then gently press and roll all over my face. Then I use a big fluffy brush to lightly sweep any remaining powder off. This sets my liquid foundation amazingly and I don't powder my nose until 8 hours later and I have combination skin. Nars Oil-free primer, Sheer Glow foundation, and this loose powder make for my HG makeup for the office. I used to use this with a big fluffy brush to apply, but that was a disaster and didn't set anything! Only when I started using a puff did this stuff do its job. I love and will repurchase. And yes, the loose powder packaging is a mess and impossible to travel with, boo hoo, but it has a permanent place on my vanity.

on 11/26/2011 12:05:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is a lovely product (I have it in Snow). It sets beautifully, and the descriptions before mine are very accurate. Interesting fact: I found NYC's loose powder to be of the same quality, in how finely it is milled, how small it makes my pores look, and in color. It is slightly more pink in color (NYC Translucent v. NARS Snow). So I'm swapping mine and keeping NYC's.

on 8/26/2011 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this powder. I have dry skin, and don't like to wear foundation because it makes me look older and drier. I wear a tinted sunscreen so I can have a dewy look. But the middle of my face often looks either too shiny or ruddy or unpolished.

Most powders make me look too dry, too matte, or too made up, but NARS is perfect. I have fair skin and use Flesh. I got rid of the puff and use a makeup sponge to press it into my T-zone, then sweep a clean brush over my skin just in case there's excess. Then with a little brush I might dab some onto imperfections that I want to hide.

The powder is so finely milled that it really blends into skin yet makes it look more polished without looking heavy.

A lot of people complained about the packaging, but it's pretty much the same packaging as most loose powders I've tried. The fact that they are loose makes them messy, but then you get the extra fine results. I give the box one shake to get some powder into the top, then the mesh helps me to get rid of the excess.

on 6/25/2011 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The packaging is horrible. When i received it in the mail the product was all over the box and beyond. But aside that, its ok. Very finely milled. For shade reference: NC45 is a bit too dark for me in MAC and NC43 a tad light. SO i'm guessing i'd probably b NC44.

I got the shade in Mountain for this product and its a tad dark for me. It masks the yellow in my skintone and makes it orange/reddish. It'd work for you if you're on the darker side of NC45 and beyond, or do as i do and apply it to the outer portions of my face to give it a glow and to darken up the decolletage to match your face. OR if your foundation is super light (like 2 shades lighter) and you want to darken it up, then this would work. It'd make it a bit more orangey/reddish. Not bright orange, but a medium orange, if that makes sense. Doesnt work as a bronzer even though its slightly darker than my skintone. It isnt THAT pigmented in that sense. But it'd work as a foundation as i said if you are NC45 and beyond and if you just need a little coverage. It does not claim to control oil, and nor will it do so.

Its expensive but you get a LOT of product for the amount you pay. So verdict: If you are NC44, maybe even the lighter side of NC45 and up, don't get this if you want to set your entire face. Seriously. It'd turn it darker, and orangier/redder. But it IS a good product if it matches your skintone.

on 6/18/2011 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This powder looked okey on my skin but after an hour under the sun while shopping, it disappeared from my skin and all I can see was a shiny face. Mac prep and prime performs better.

on 6/8/2011 12:02:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have yet to find a foundation light enough for me. Ever. When i saw the reviews for this, and girls saying "Snow" is amazing for the whitest of white girls, i thought, well its worth a try.
What i love:
This does not look chalky on your face
Finally a color light enough for me!
It is a fine milled powder

The only thing i dont love, the coverage. Maybe i need to try the pressed powder in this shade? I have used physicans formula's loose powder which had more coverage than the nars. Oh well, at least it actually matchs, that made me happy enough!

on 5/30/2011 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Awesome powder, incredibly fine but can be incredibly messy. The inclusion of a mesh sifter AND a plastic one was genius on NARS's part, but the lift-off top on the container is not useful at all and just gets powder everywhere when you close it. Please NARS, redesign the packaging on this! It's expensive at $32 but you get A LOT and I imagine that even with daily usage it'll last 2+ years. As for the powder itself, it melts into the skin and help keeps oiliness at bay, even better when used together with the NARS oil-free primer and Sheer Matte foundation. I wear Tahoe in the Sheer Matte and Mountain in the powder, and Mountain pulls slightly red but not enough to notice unless you're really looking. Beach is WAY too light.

on 5/17/2011 5:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is one of the NARS products really worth investing in. Even though it may seem expensive it contains a massive 45 grams of an excellent quality loose powder... it's THREE TIMES MORE PRODUCT than most brands! Do your maths, seriously.
The packaging isn't very functional... but then find me a loose powder that doesn't make mess... The luxe looking black rubbery NARS gets dirty easily as it is. Not for traveling but if you need loose powder on the go (do you really?) just put a bit in a small container from Muji. Problem solved.
I apply it with NARS #27 Yachiyo Kabuki Artisan Brush (OMG this brush, OMG!!! If you don't have it yet you better buy it and you'll know why people go on about it so much. It's the best brush ever) and it sets my MAC foundation perfectly. I applied it with puff it comes with over foundation once and I looked terrible. This powder has great coverage so it looked caked. With brush it looks perfect- smooth, even, matte but you can not see it. It does not accentuate pores or lines. Perfection.
I don't need to re-apply it throughout the day. It stays on very well, I just use blotting papers on my t-zone when I get too shiny.
The puff is great for the days you don't feel like using foundation. Just put on a bit of this fabulous powder and your skin will look great.
I'm not very impressed with the colour range though. There are only 6 shades and nothing for dark skin tones. I'm a NW20 so it wasn't really a problem. MUA advised me to try Eden but that really stood out against my skin, it was very pale and too yellow. Beach was better but still to yellow. I really needed to buy powder and was in a rush so I tried Desert, which in pressed form is totally not my shade surprisingly in loose form is a different colour- lighter and with more yellow tone. It blends perfectly into my skin.
I give it 4 lippies not 5 due to poor colour range (at least half of my friends won't be able to use it!) and the messy packaging. I will certainly buy this again but not for a long, long time. I use it every single day but considering my last 15g loose powder lasted me 9 months and this is 45g... like I said, do your maths.

on 4/3/2011 7:30:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

EDIT 3 : Took of another lippie, I'm oily this season and it doesn't keep my face matte for longer than 2 hours, so sad. I found out BE Mineral Veil does a better job at oil control and has a silkier finish. After 1 month using it now I think it's just a so-so powder.

EDIT 2 : I found out that if I just dip the puff in the powder it will cake because too much powder is put on, so now I use a dense brush to kind of stipple the powder on my face, then use the puff to press it in.
Also found out that it doesn't control oil as good as Maybelline Dream Matte powder, but it looks more "luminous" because after about 2 hour with the little oil on my face the finish looks airbrushed, really beautiful. I'll use this powder for night time.

*EDIT : Took of 1 lippie, it will streak on dry skin - Laura Mercier's transparent loose powder doesn't do so, but Laura Mercier's is more lightweight - so make sure you moisturize extremely well using NARS. Somehow I can't stand using the puff either, it picks up too much on one side and I still have to blend later so now I'm using a kabuki.

I'd not repeat how awesome this powder is, I'll just note about the packaging :
- VERY IMPORTANT : When you first open it, DON'T PEEL THE STICKER ALL THE WAY. It will make a mess and you will regret it later. I peel mine about half the number of holes - just enough for an application.
- The fish net : It is said on the sticker that you can leave it on top or in the powder for a finer finish. So I lift up the top with the holes and place the fish net ON TOP of the powder, then put the top back.
- I keep the sticker, when I apply it, I'll peel it halfway, take the product out on the cap, then place it back. That way I have had minimal fall out. I think you can substitute it with a clean paper of the same size.
- It's very easy to get the outside of the box dirty by your fingerprint. But you can clean it with a cloth.
Other than that, this powder is superb - it doesn't lighten my skin tone like some translucent powder, it's not powdery at all, and so lightweight.

on 3/26/2011 6:36:00 PM

After reading all the rave reviews here on makeup alley and youtube videos I had to go out and try this. I chose the powder in Beach for my NC30 skintone, the colormatch was great, however I can't say the same for the powder itself. Aside from the packing that sucks because you loose so much product every time you open it, the staying power and oil control is horrid. It compares to drugstore brand loose powders, so save some money and get covergirl's loose powder.

Recommended for Normal Skin