Maybelline Volum' Express Cat Eyes Waterproof in feline black

3.2

I bought several tubes of this because I simply can't find something better than this. Even Make Up For Ever lengthening mascara can't do the same as this. It is about RM30 and comes in pretty packaging. The shade comes in only feline black with waterproof formula but one is enough to feed my desperation for perfect mascara haha! It is available in many places and one shall last about 3 months if used regularly. However, it can be hard to remover and good quality eye remover is needed for this mascara as it really lasts whole day and very waterproof. It makes my lashes very long but doesn't build much volume. I guess you simply can't get two greats at once right? So if you are looking for a super lengthening which will last you whole day, this would be a good choice.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

THIS MASCARA RUINED MY LASHES! Do not, I repreat, do not buy this mascara if you don't have an industrial strength makeup remover. That being said, let's move on to the review.

At first I bought this mascara because I have to admit, the limited edition Hello Kitty packaging caught my eye and thought that since Maybelline had pretty good mascaras--with the exception of of the over-rated and over-hyped original Great Lash, I thought this would be a good enough product.
I always buy their waterproof versions, because I know for a fact that their waterproof mascaras are great for holding curls, which is probably the only redeeming factor of this mascara.
First of all, I love how Maybelline has pretty wet formulations because this reduces clumping on my lashes, but little did I know that this only holds true for their mascaras with thicker wands such as the Falsies or Colossal. But for a mascara with a comb wand rather than a brush, the formulation sucked big time. The wand in itself had two combs whose bristles intersected like a claw, but for some reason, this added to the clumping of the product because it coated my lashes with too much mascara every time I run the wand on my lashes. It made my lashes clump together so bad that I looked like I had five to seven lashes on each eye. It took forever to dry that when I blinked, the wet mascara smeared on my lower lash line. The brush didn't do justice to putting mascara on my lower lash line as well. Again, because of the wet formulation, it smudged before it was even dry.
Now if getting this mascara on was an ordeal in itself, taking it off is a bigger hassle. First up, THIS MASCARA IS NOT WATERPROOF---IT'S MAKEUP REMOVER PROOF. I could not take off this mascara for days--no matter what kind of makeup remover, cleansing oil, natural oil, petroleum jelly, pond's cold cream I used. I literally had to scrape the mascara and pull my lashes off to remove this and it still wasn't completely off! I had to wash and wash my face and still had this for on for the next three days because it wouldn't come off! And don't think that because it was still on that it made my lashes really pretty those thee days I was forced to have it on. The moment this thing came into contact with water, it clumps like hell! My supposed five to seven lashes per eye was reduced to four or three! So I basically had to endure three whole days with four lashes on each eye because I couldn't take this off. And after finally taking off the last bits of this, I had so few lashes left due to pulling off the product that I had to buy lash serums and lay off the mascara for a month just so I could grow my lashes back!
I have so much against this product that I thew it away--yes, despite the cute Hello Kitty packaging after one try. I will not repurchase or recommend this product to anyone, I didn't even give it a second chance because of how horrible my first try was. Stay away, ladies, unless you want the same nightmare I had to go through. Stay away for the sake of your lashes. D;

I purchased the hello kitty version from japan, it's called "hypercurl cat eyes". The product is actually nice. The formula is not too dry nor too wet so you can actually layer on the formula as much as 3 times. It dries to a nice finish which you can curl. The curl doesn't hold extremely well (2 hours max) but I'm not complaining. My thin asian lashes never hold any curl even with a well known mascara. I paid almost $16 for this product which is pretty hefty for a mascara but being that this is hello kitty and limited edition from japan. I feel like my purchase was justified.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i LOVE this mascara soooo much! its my fave next to unstoppable curly extensions. i love the mascara applier, it actually makes it easier and doesnt create clumps much :) although this is probably the HARDEST one to take off from my lashes, but i still love it! :D

EDIT 20th of june 2012
this product is not available anymore in where i live now :( and it is NOT the hardest to take off :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Have been trying a variety of mascara and thought I'd give this one a go. I like the falsh lash effect and this mascara is far from it. I think this one will go in the bin.

I bought this because of the packaging, I love the black & pink detail! Its a decent mascara, it holds the curl really well (I'm asian :P). The thing I didnt really like is that it is waterproof, and I was afraid it wouldn't come off easily. I use the body shop make up remover, and its alright, take some time but it does eventually come off. Also it makes your lashes stick together like spider legs. I tend to use a tissue to wipe away the mascara in between the two combs so that it wont clump my lashes so much and look more natural. The brush wand itself is different, but not that hard to pick up. I won't repurchase this just because I'm scared of the word 'waterproof' :P But otherwise its a great mascara!

I have the German version of this product (because I'm German and my relatives and friends send me the latest beauty products from Germany to America on a regular basis), which comes in a yellow tube with leopard spots, it's very cute. The brush itself is not the same neither, it's curved and makes you reach every single lash, which is very convenient. Overall, it's a good product, and I would buy it again, but it doesn't give me enough volume. It lengthens very good though and smells good, also this version is NOT waterproof.

it's long lasting, its waterproof, its lengthen my lashes. but i had big trouble with the comb. I have shaky hand and if you also do, i really dont recomend this as it might stab your eyes than other regular brush can do.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been a fan of Maybelline mascara for years, so when this first came out, I bought it because the brush is so different from the past mascaras I've used.

In terms of results, I absolutely love it. Since I have short eyelashes, I'd curl my lashes in the morning prior to applying my mascara, and it stays on for THE ENTIRE DAY!! The increased length of my eyelashes are quite obvious, and they curl wonderfully without giving you that exaggerated, spidery look (like some of the Japanese brands I've used in the past). Plus, because the brush is tinier than normal, I can reach and apply the corner of my eyes without smudging. Overall, this is one incredible mascara. I took one star off because at the end of the day, it tends to take quite some time to remove. But this is, to me, a very minor detail.

My first time using this masara. It was great@ I have read so many reviews that this is so difficult to remove and I was worried. I used Biore makeup remover for eye and lip..and Bingo! It was hassle-free. Try it! *_^

Popular Mascaras