August 29, 2014 | 967 users online

Liquid - Max Factor - Second Skin [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2011 5:10:00 AM More reviews by MaryBulychev

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I received a sample of this foundation with my magazine in 75 Golden, which is, actually, rather dark for me. Nevertheless, I tried it and found that it glides nicely and smooth, more or less covers imperfections and gives more unified look. Firstly, I thought that it might be good middle-class foundation, just need to find a proper color match. BUT in two hours it became more and more greasy, so I removed it. And for tomorrow I received a very strong breakout. Disappointing!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2011 2:53:00 AM More reviews by alee26

I brought the lightest shade - Creamy Ivory and it wasn't the perfect match because it was slightly too pink. The formula is what I didn't like about it. I have fairly oily skin, so this is a big NO if your like me and tend to breakout easily. This left me looking like a greasy mess half-way through the day and also broke me out on my forehead. :( The coverage is medium, but doesn't feel like a "second skin" - it feels like a mask and is uncomfortable to wear. Wouldn't recommend this.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2011 1:06:00 AM More reviews by ShallenElizabeth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I. Do. Not. Like. This. Foundation.
    I have incredibly sensitive, acne-prone skin and my skin did not like this at all. Luckily I only put a little bit on one section of my face instead of the whole of my face. Well, the next day in that little part of my forehead where I put the foundation I had accumulated very angry pimples. Ever since then I have stayed well away from Max Factor foundations. What a waste of money.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2011 12:53:00 PM More reviews by miaowthathurt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Having had enough of foundations which look like their sitting atop my skin, I decided to see whether or not MF's Second Skin foundation lived up to its name.
    And I was sorely dissapointed.
    I bought my bottle in Ivory (40) from Boots at £11.99, which is slightly more than I'd normally expect for a drugstore brand. The first time I applied it, I just did my normal routine or moisturizer, then dabbing it on my foundation brush. Deciding to not set it with loose powder that time, I just got ready to go out, giving it a chance to oxidise so it could give off that 'second skin' look it promised. But when I checked it in the mirror, I got a shock. Despite being an ivory shade, it had turned orange and splotchy, looking like a fake tan job gone wrong. Naturally, I scrubbed it off, and quickly applied my HG and was out the house. The next day, I decided to try again, applying with my fingers - but it still had the same effect. It was the same every single time I tried. Nowhere NEAR the natural finish it promised.
    Also, seeing as I have a pretty much clear complexion, I normally just use foundation to neutralise any redness etc on my face. But after a week of trial and error of this foundation, I noticed my skin getting extremely dry, and almost cracked around my lips and nose. Also, I had little bumps - not zits exactly - on my cheeks. Obviously, the bottle soon went into the trash.
    Would you buy this product again? HELL NO. MF, I love you for your mascaras, but maybe you could work a little bit more on you foundations.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by RosePeacock

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

The only other Max Factor foundation I've used is the Miracle Touch one. I loved the consistency and it was a decent enough match. But I think everyone who's used it will agree that it's a stingy amount of makeup! It was the first and only foundation that I used every scrap of - I never finish up foundations! Anyway, I decided to give Max Factor another go, but this time I purchased Second Skin. The shade I got was 'Creamy Ivory' - the same as my old Miracle Touch. It is slightly darker than I'd prefer, but still not bad at all. It gives good coverage and is easy to move around. I hate a thick foundation that won't budge! I started off by applying it with my fingers, but I've now progressed to using a foundation brush and it gives a much nicer finish. The brush isn't high-end, in fact I bought it from Primark for the grand total of £1.50, so I'm really surprised by how well it's worked! It also washes very well, and I haven't noticed any bristles coming out. It obviously won't last me years and I'm in the market for one of a better quality, but for the time being I'm more than happy to use it. I wish this foundation came with spf, but hey ho. Overall I've found this to be a pretty good every-day foundation.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 4:51:00 AM More reviews by pinkfrost52

I got a sample of this in a magazine awhile ago, but only recently rediscovered it sitting in my draw and decided to try it out. It came in two shades: 'Ivory' and 'Almond'. I have a medium skin tone, a little tan at the moment from summer so Ivory was too light, and Almond was a little darker than what my skin tone is at the moment. Applied Almond on my skin just to see what it was like since it was only a sample. Went on super smooth, blended fairly easy with a foundation brush. Formula is quite runny, so that helped with the blending. Coverage was pretty amazing. Pretty much medium-full depending on how much you use. However what I didn't like was the oxidation. It turned a horrible shade of orange. Looked like I had a bad fake tan. Also was a pain to remove. Broke me out on my cheeks... where I NEVER get breakouts. Needed good makeup remover/wipes. Don't recommend and glad this was only a sample.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2011 6:22:00 PM More reviews by Kgrrrl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this after it was recommended to me by a friend who absolutely loved it. It's a nice formula, light, easy to blend and comfortable...the downside (and it's a big one) is that even the lightest colour is too dark for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2011 4:32:00 AM More reviews by MzAleex

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I first tried this foundation it was amazing it looked completely natural. So I bought it, 2 weeks later breakouts !!!!!!!!!!!! and I blame this foundation because I had clear skin before I used this product.
    So pretty much it was just a waste of money for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by StarryG121

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this when it first came out a while ago in the lightest shade, Creamy Ivory. I am quite pale and usually use a mixture of the 2 lightest shades of Max Factor's Lasting Performance foundation to achieve my perfect shade. When I first applied Second Skin it blended in very well to my skintone and looked really natural, covering my redness very well so that you couldn't really tell I was wearing make up at all. I set it with my MAC Blot powder in Light. However I found that it did oxidise after a couple of hours and made me look a bit shiny so I stopped using it. However... I recently found this at the back of my drawer and tried it again, but this time I dusted over some Maybelline Dream Matte powder in the lightest shade. It made a massive difference. The foundation didn't oxidise and I stayed matte for a lot longer. This combination just seems to work very well! I would suggest if you are pale and have found the lightest shde turns orangey on you after a bit, try setting with Dream Matte pressed powder in the lightest shde, it may work for you too!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 3:14:00 PM More reviews by mum2boys

I have used so many foundations over the years and have struggled to find one that covers my blemishes (large pores and the odd spot), without looking like I'm obviously wearing foundation (I like the natural look).
    Thought I'd found it with Laura Merciers mineral powder which I just loved,but after a year of all my friends and family constantly asking me if I was ill as I looked so pale (tried a shade darker but that just looked orange on me), I had to admit that although I loved the powder, the shades just didn't suit me.
    Saw an advert for the Max Factor second skin and as it was rather cheap (in comparison to LM), I thought I'd give it a go - and was surprised how much I loved it!
    If you're looking for a natural, light coverage it's perfect. Very light so I found it blends easily and gives me a no-makeup look, whilst nicely covering the few spots on my chin and evening up any red patches.
    After reading some other reviews I did wonder if I might look a bit orange in the natural light after it had, had some time to oxidise, but when I asked my husband if my make-up looked OK when we were outside the other day he said "I didn't think you wore makeup". Perfect - that's exactly the look I was going for.
    One bottle has lasted me over a year (I do go for a light look though). Will definitely buy again.